Koivu or Kovalev: which would you keep?

Koivu or Kovalev  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Pick just one

• Alex Kovalev
    • Saku Koivu

Pretty sure Jay Bo won't sign for that with us. Many teams will easily outbid us. But I wouldn't mind us getting into a sweepstakes for him and overpaying, the flexibility that will allow the team on-ice is tremendous.

Komi will get his payoff with another team, Isles maybe. They need to sell tickets, local boy, next Scott Stevens, however they want to dress him up. Get Beauchemin, more puck-savvy than Komi, not the same physical presence but a good shut-down guy who can actually pass a-to-b. Oh and a Cup-winner to boot.

Old heads at 1-year deals or gone. Lots of contracts and space out there, I wouldn't do much to the forwards. Keep Kovalev on a one-year, he is the focal point of the offense. Use guys as trade bait to fill out important role-positions on the roster, building a team as Wamsley says that wants to play together, get ready for the feeding frenzy FA market next year at forward (Dubinsky would be a really really fine #2 ctr, no?).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised are okay with Komo leaving. He is pretty much our only physical d-man. He delivers the big hits and he blocks the shots. Every team needs at least a couple players like that. If he leaves, he will be SORELY missed. I don't think he's worth more than 4.5, but if it comes down to it, I may consider overpaying to keep him. If Bob can convince him to stick around long term, that might decrease the cap hit he would be willing to sign for. Ideally, more years = less salary. Maybe something like 6 years at 4 mil? Assuming Komo wants to stick around, that would be a smart move on both sides.

Young guys especially consider security heavily. He could sign for a big annual salary at less years, but a long term contract with less money per year but worth more overall might be more attractive to a guy like Komo. Some guys have names big enough to guarantee you a big contract whenever you decide to hit the market again even even if you end up having a bad year (someone like Hossa). Komo is young and doesn't have that luxury.

Edited by ForumGhost

Koivu or Kovalev?

Whichever one we let go will have a career year with his new team. Ain't I a ray of sunshine?

I'm surprised are okay with Komo leaving. He is pretty much our only physical d-man. He delivers the big hits and he blocks the shots. Every team needs at least a couple players like that. If he leaves, he will be SORELY missed. I don't think he's worth more than 4.5, but if it comes down to it, I may consider overpaying to keep him. If Bob can convince him to stick around long term, that might decrease the cap hit he would be willing to sign for. Ideally, more years = less salary. Maybe something like 6 years at 4 mil? Assuming Komo wants to stick around, that would be a smart move on both sides.

Young guys especially consider security heavily. He could sign for a big annual salary at less years, but a long term contract with less money per year but worth more overall might be more attractive to a guy like Komo. Some guys have names big enough to guarantee you a big contract whenever you decide to hit the market again even even if you end up having a bad year (someone like Hossa). Komo is young and doesn't have that luxury.

Depends on what he'll be paid FG. How much would you consider overpaying? Think of the Islanders position (for example). They can build a marketing campaign around him.

If you replace a largely overpaid Komisarek with a guy like Beauchemin, not as good defensively but pretty damn good, and a superior player with the puck, then why overpay to a player who cannot do anything with the puck?

I don't want him to leave, it is just a feeling that he will. If he is determined to test the FA waters, we'll need a replacement, because someone is bound to overpay (Gomez, Briere, long list).

I don't think trying to get Dubinsky from a team that has f'd themselves down the middle for years to come is necessarily 'EA Sports' territory.

Depends on what he'll be paid FG. How much would you consider overpaying? Think of the Islanders position (for example). They can build a marketing campaign around him.

If you replace a largely overpaid Komisarek with a guy like Beauchemin, not as good defensively but pretty damn good, and a superior player with the puck, then why overpay to a player who cannot do anything with the puck?

I don't want him to leave, it is just a feeling that he will. If he is determined to test the FA waters, we'll need a replacement, because someone is bound to overpay (Gomez, Briere, long list).

I don't think trying to get Dubinsky from a team that has f'd themselves down the middle for years to come is necessarily 'EA Sports' territory.

The EA Sports thing was just a reaction to the thread, not any one post in particular. Some of the ideas were starting to creep towards the ludicrous.

if you think signing the shnide for 3 or 4 million is a good idea then you must be a fan of mad mike milbury. I love the shnide but he is finished maybe 1 or 2 years at 1.5mill tops filling in when needed like breezy who should retire. Kovy did nothing this year that says he should earn 4.5 mill, I would say 3-3.5 with a lot of bonuses. Komi was bad this year and should sign for no more than 4 mill. Tanguay should get an extension (3 years) at the same as he is making now. Koivu should be offered a contract 2 years at 3 mill per year. and bonuses.

I think Schnieder could easily bring in 3 million for 1 year. I will bet you money that Schnide gets 3 million somewhere short term. If it's a two year deal, then more like 2 million.

I will bet you money that Kovalev can get more than 4.5 million for a one year deal somewhere else. If two years or more, then more like 4 million. I will bet you money that Komi can get 4.5 to 5 million for a long term (3 or 4 years?) Schnieder is a way better defenseman than Breeze.

The EA Sports thing was just a reaction to the thread, not any one post in particular. Some of the ideas were starting to creep towards the ludicrous.

Sorry about that. Though admittedly my ideas often drift to EA sports category.

When is Lecavalier building that Baie D'Urfe house then???

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... ILYA KOVALCHUK 2010-2011

Clear some debris away this summer, take next year to test some of the farm kids out in the show, and figure out who really wants to play and who is just here for the money. Then at some point in the latter stages of next season offer Kovalchuk a long-term deal at whatever he will sign for. This guy is truly a franchise player, and the Habs could be one of the only teams able to throw the kind of money at him needed to sign.

PS - keeping Kovy around, being the Russian legend he is, surely would help the signing potential

Edited by MK1

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... ILYA KOVALCHUK 2010-2011

Clear some debris away this summer, take next year to test some of the farm kids out in the show, and figure out who really wants to play and who is just here for the money. Then at some point in the latter stages of next season offer Kovalchuk a long-term deal at whatever he will sign for. This guy is truly a franchise player, and the Habs could be one of the only teams able to throw the kind of money at him needed to sign.

PS - keeping Kovy around, being the Russian legend he is, surely would help the signing potential

So what happens when he re-signs with Atlanta?

So what happens when he re-signs with Atlanta?

Atlanta will be lucky to have a team still next summer. The only reason thay didn't jump the gun before PHX is because they've been mired in court forever over who owns the team. They certainly will not be in the market to pony up 8M+ for a long-term deal to keep him.

He is a franchise player and would fit in well with the European culture in MTL compared to most other NHL cities, and of all the "big splashes" out there he is in my opinion the biggest on the horizon.

Atlanta will be lucky to have a team still next summer. The only reason thay didn't jump the gun before PHX is because they've been mired in court forever over who owns the team. They certainly will not be in the market to pony up 8M+ for a long-term deal to keep him.

He is a franchise player and would fit in well with the European culture in MTL compared to most other NHL cities, and of all the "big splashes" out there he is in my opinion the biggest on the horizon.

Uh, they've already started talking to him. Their ownership situation is a mess, but they aren't moving anywhere. The same group owns both the Hawks and Thrashers and their arena lease for BOTH depends on having both a NHL and NBA franchise in the building. Those rumors were just speculators, and there was nothing close to an offer to purchase made. It's too complicated of a sale to even consider for most, unless they just buy the entire operation and keep the teams there.

I would prefer to keep Kovy!

However, would prefer these terms, for both players:

Take a massive paycut! 2Mil for Saku and 2.5 Mil for Kovy and work for performance bonuses. PP points, Goals., Assists., Making the playoffs round 1/2, staying healthy for the season; in other words, you get paid if you perform!

Too bad no one will go for this option...