Help!

Habsfan21

Congrats.

Whaddaya want to know? Class/major questions? Career path questions? Partying questions? City of Halifax questions? Accomodation questions? Just asking what to do leaves a broad range to answer...LOL.

Halifax is a GREAT party town...you from there? Or just going for school?

Don't get too anxious about it all...just be laid back, take it as it comes and make friends. University isn't all that tough...don't get me wrong, you've gotta do your work(no one will push you, so you have to push yourself to work...). But it's not difficult to enjoy your time there...do your work, study hard and play harder...

hey man, congrat on getting into ST Mary's University

I graduated from there a couple of years ago. Nice school in a great town. You have QMJHL Mooseheads at the Metro center (Sidney's Rimouski etc...) there is the university hockey teams as well with 4 universities in town (385,000 people or so)

great nightlife as well with all those schools and bars. The on campus pub is great on thursday nites as well as saturday afternoons to start things off (The Gorsebrook PUB)

I lived in residence for two years then off campus for two years as well.

actually got some school work done while I was there... go figure.

Any questions, drop me a line.

:/)

Originally posted by Cadian

hey man, congrat on getting into ST Mary's University

I graduated from there a couple of years ago. Nice school in a great town. You have QMJHL Mooseheads at the Metro center (Sidney's Rimouski etc...) there is the university hockey teams as well with 4 universities in town (385,000 people or so)

great nightlife as well with all those schools and bars. The on campus pub is great on thursday nites as well as saturday afternoons to start things off  (The Gorsebrook PUB)  

I lived in residence for two years then off campus for two years as well.  

actually got some school work done while I was there...  go figure.

Any questions, drop me a line.  

:/)

Hey, nice to hear from an alumni. I went to a Q game in Cape Breton a few years ago, and I loved the stuff...I can't wait to be a busride/walk from the Metro Centre for some quality hockey, SMU or the Moose. Also, I LOVE football, so won't be far from that either.

What's the residence like? Of course, I'm not expecting the Ritz or anything.;)

Residence is the way to go at least for the first year...

That way you get to know your way around the school, city and the student body...(ahem...) There are three residences on campus.

Loyola is a 22 floor res that has all male, coed, and all female floors. I would try for the all female floors but odds are not good. :/) ...average about 24 guys per floor in loyola (single and double rooms)

Rice is a series of apartment style dorm rooms with seperate rooms and one living room between 4 to 5 students.

Vanier is an all female res that is inbetween the two... (again, see what you can do.. best of luck):lol:

The rooms are basic (of course) and include a single bed, desk, and closet. figure on door entrance with closet to the right as you enter on the same wall. the far wall is usually all windows with the heater underneath. the Bed occupies the right side of the wall with the desk on the left. ( i had enough room in there for a beer fridge, microwave, and an arm chair...) and that is about it...

Computer on the desk with stereo on shelfs above, and you are done... but it is enough... and no more than anyone else has...

they are all interconnected as are all buildings with your classes (except one) by tunnels and walkways so winter in res is good. :clap:

to give you an idea of the city, you are about a 15 minute walk from Spring Garden Road... the busiest pedestrian street east of montreal... has just about everything... it is only a 10 minute walk from there to the Metro Center....

As for football, the SMU Huskies have an astro turf stadium that is inbetween the three residences... I used to watch the games from my window in res. drinking beer (19th floor - great view)

keep your head up and stick on the ice...

Originally posted by Habsfan21

I just want to know about the expierience in  general, and about the type of work you recieve, etc.

I'm from NS, and have always wanted to go back.  It really is a nice city.

It's real easy to party your education away...just be careful. If you've got to study then make sure you do it...but that doesn't mean you should be stuck studying all the time.

How much work you need to do really depends on you. I had a 20 hours/week part time job and partied for a minimum of 4 nights a week. Most of my friends went out 2-3 times a week at most...Which is probably why I finished with a B- average...LOL. Some people need to study more/less, I found a lot had to do with how you take notes in class. Learn how to take notes that are effective and NOT all encompassing. I often left class with 2-3 pages of notes while my friends had 5-6 pages...and couldn't figure out what to study come exam time.

A BIG part of the university experience is meeting people. You'll make friends that last a lifetime. I know guys that met their future wife there...though that wasn't too common(maybe 25 years ago it was I guess but not when I went).

I recommend staying in residence since it's easier to meet people and find people doing things all the time. Living there can interrupt your studying(partying, noise, bad roommate, etc) and if it does become good friends with a desk in the library. I also recommend joining and getting active in some of the clubs...Irish association, ski clubs, the association for your subject, etc...then try and get on it's board. It's a nice resume booster, let's you meet loads of people and the club will throw parties/events using the membership dues.

Get laid, get a decent degree and get drunk. Put that in any order you want...but you're paying a boatload for the degree so make sure you get that. LOL

I loved going to University and still wish I was back there...of course, WLU had/has some of the best looking women in the country attending it so that might have something to do with my missing it. :lol:

[Edited on 2005/2/1 by Zowpeb]