Heatley Asks for Trade

ForumGhost

So TSN is reporting Heatley has asked to be traded. Can the Habs swing a deal? He would be the franchise player and all-star sniper we've been searching for at a reasonable 7.5 mil a season for the next five years.

I say go for it Bob!

Edited by Fanpuck33
Merged and title

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Montreal could land Heatley, I'd definitely be happy about it as he's one of my favorites. However, I just don't see it happening given that the teams are divisional rivals and apparently Heatley is hoping to go to the Western Conference (according to the TSN article).

Heater would be a great addition to the line up for the Habs but let's be real here, if he wants out of Ottawa, why would he be happy with a short ride down the highway to Montreal?

Heater would be a great addition to the line up for the Habs but let's be real here, if he wants out of Ottawa, why would he be happy with a short ride down the highway to Montreal?

because he thinks that he can get better passes from Plekanec than Spezza?

That's completely up to Heater. He'll decide and no one else. Even Murray needs permission from him. So, in answer to the question I'm going to go with nope.

:(

when you ask to be traded you basicly(sp?) give away your NTC or NMC. however with a 7.5M cap hit theres not that many teams that can afford him.

Montreal seems to have enough space but do we have the means to make the trade.

If I were bob I woud try to sell Emelin to ottawa :lol:

Well, we definitely should try to get this guy. He's a beast, even if he's not the centreman we so desperately need, and we are indeed one of relatively few teams with cap space.

But who goes back? What do you ask for if you're Ottawa? Price? Failing that, for sure PK Subban and some young roster players (Kostitsyn almost certainly included)?

Our one advantage is obviously we are one of teh few teams that can afford him. No one's really sure why Heater wants out, but if it's because he doesn't see teh Sens contended any time soon, we definitely have an advantage over them in that area.

If Heatly wants out, maybe Spezza will follow...

Edited by ForumGhost

The only way we get him is if he comes cheaply from Ottawa. Otherwise, there's no sense in getting a high-priced winger before addressing our disastrous situation at centre.

Maybe getting a winger that caliber of Heatly will solve our centre problem. I'm sure Pleks would get a major boost in production playing alongside him. We already know that Pleks has the potential to be a top line centerman.

Edited by ForumGhost

Maybe getting a winger that caliber of Heatly will solve our centre problem. I'm sure Pleks would get a major boost in production playing alongside him. We already know that Pleks has the potential to be a top line centerman.

:lol: No disrespect, but IMHO it's more likely that Plekanec will end up out of the NHL - a sort of sequel to Jan Bulis - than that he will emerge as a convincing top-line C. I mean, he was an abject disaster last season. His confidence seems to be paper-thin and it's questionable whether he has the stones to be more than a perimeter player. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Pleks recover his game, but sheesh, a season like that is enough to cast a pall over our assessment of any player.

More plausible is that the idea of playing with Heatly will help us to attract UFA centremen. Then again, with Heater's insane salary we wouldn't be able to afford any truly elite players of that kind, but it might give us an edge in securing second-tier guys.

I can't think of any possibility in which we could trade for Heatley without losing too many assets. And would Heatley really want to come to MTL if we gutted our team?

I don't see it happening, IMO.

It would be funny if Detroit pulls a sign and trade with Hossa, flipping him for a less expensive heatley

Phaneuf could certainly the nucleus of a fair return for Heatley. Combine that with rumours that Heatley wants to play out west (he's from Alberta), and you've got a rumour that likely has legs.

Phaneuf could certainly the nucleus of a fair return for Heatley. Combine that with rumours that Heatley wants to play out west (he's from Alberta), and you've got a rumour that likely has legs.

Raised in Calgary (had the same social teacher as him in Grade 10), grew up a Flames fan and has reportedly wanted to play in Calgary his entire career. Heatley to Calgary rumors popped up a lot back in 2007 before he got his extension.