Lever and Wilson canned...

Any word on assistants for Martin? Wasn't there a deadline of last week or something.

There was an interview with Martin in La Presse over the weekend that stated he probably wouldn't announce his assistants until after July 1. He wanted one that was an ex-NHL player, but other than that, stayed pretty mum on the subject. I don't think Jarvis and Muller will be retained.

There was an interview with Martin in La Presse over the weekend that stated he probably wouldn't announce his assistants until after July 1. He wanted one that was an ex-NHL player, but other than that, stayed pretty mum on the subject. I don't think Jarvis and Muller will be retained.

What's the point of having an ex-player if he doesn't have solid coaching experience ?

Bob is simply not happy with last year. Don't know why wilson and lever are let go, that is a surprise,but I have to think that Bob has a plan. And who sez the ex player doesn't have coaching experience. I would really liketo know who it is and why after july 1st to announce.

More likely is that Martin didn't want him as part of his staff, and Gainey, much like with the Melanson decision, decided the prospects needed a new voice to mentor them. Fans in Hamilton may not like the fact that a winning coach was let go, but really all Hamilton is to Bob is a place to develop players for Montreal. Bob will always be looking for a guy that he thinks will do a better job of that. And I assume at this point, he has.

Apparently they were told of their release by telephone with no reason given by Gainey. Only that the Organization was going in a different direction.

Gainey not exactly showing a whole lot of class with this one. Not exactly enthralled with this decision, or any of the others he has made recently. How have we not resigned 1 RFA yet?

What the hell is going on? Does he figure hes going to make big trades at the deadline because he is flush wtih cash?

Or is it that with the sale of the Canadiens they are not aloud to spend a dime of money?

Edited by kaos

Or is it that with the sale of the Canadiens they are not aloud to spend a dime of money?

That would be a prudent assessment, businesswise.

sorry for them. but another good news.

they might really well be successful elsewhere... but I want PASSION

and I want LEARNING

and I want

ACCOUNTABILITY.

nothing I saw out of the players they supposedly crafted.

Apparently they were told of their release by telephone with no reason given by Gainey. Only that the Organization was going in a different direction.

Gainey not exactly showing a whole lot of class with this one. Not exactly enthralled with this decision, or any of the others he has made recently. How have we not resigned 1 RFA yet?

What the hell is going on? Does he figure hes going to make big trades at the deadline because he is flush wtih cash?

Gainey always waits, and then announces signings one after the other in pretty quick succession. Usually he waits for Bettman to announce where the cap will be next season (end of june usually.)

Over the phone... nice and classy.

Better than telling him: "Hey, come up to Montreal from Buffalo quick! I've got something to tell you!"

Or, better than being fired over Facebook... I know someone who was.

All the kids these days are dumping their girlfriends and boyfriends via text message.

so they said on radio !!

Idont disagree. I never really understood his role on the coaching staff.

so they said on radio !!

No one is questioning WHY they were let go, even Lever himself said he totally understands that. Everyone is questioning HOW they were let go, and for a man like BG who hasn't exactly been flush with golden moves lately this comes across as one of the lowest class things he can do in his position.

Piss poor optics for a team that badly needs some good things to happen.

so they said on radio !!

The are some assistants coach that are more friend with the GM than the coach. Jarvis was never chosen

by Carbonneau and Martin has said he wants assistant he can trust.

No one is questioning WHY they were let go, even Lever himself said he totally understands that. Everyone is questioning HOW they were let go, and for a man like BG who hasn't exactly been flush with golden moves lately this comes across as one of the lowest class things he can do in his position.

Piss poor optics for a team that badly needs some good things to happen.

I'm sure it's done mor e often than we think. I still beats the way the colorado avalanche dealt with Granato and many of Avs staff. Heck, Goulet learned it on radio. If you want classless, Lacroix can give you pointers.

classless is finding out through a 3rd party (whether news or secretary or whatever). by phone is fine. as someone said, it's way better than 'hey, get back here quick from your vacation cuz there is an urgent meeting i need you to attend'

the fastest & most secure way once a decision is made to transmit the news is still in a good ole phone chat, & especially between 2 individuals that seemed to have healthy friendships (Gainey & Jarvis, Gainey & Lever).

according to RDS only Muller will be back.

i.e. they canned Jarvis too? Can't see it anywhere.

unless as usual, RDS is inaccurate and they "forgot" that Jarvis exists.

I do it every week.

pimp :lol:

The are some assistants coach that are more friend with the GM than the coach. Jarvis was never chosen

by Carbonneau and Martin has said he wants assistant he can trust.

I wouldn't rust Jarvis :lol:

this guy is like Gollum man.

classless is finding out through a 3rd party (whether news or secretary or whatever). by phone is fine. as someone said, it's way better than 'hey, get back here quick from your vacation cuz there is an urgent meeting i need you to attend'

the fastest & most secure way once a decision is made to transmit the news is still in a good ole phone chat, & especially between 2 individuals that seemed to have healthy friendships (Gainey & Jarvis, Gainey & Lever).

oh - to add ...

a good rule of thumb for firing is to do the firing in the same method you did the hiring. if you said over the phone 'you've got the job, when can you start', then saying over the phone 'you're fired, you have 2 weeks severance' is actually good etiquette. i would think (& i haven't done this) this would/could/should apply to facebook or whatever too!

Yeah, I don't think it's so classless. Imagine how awkward it is calling someone in to see you only to be fired.