Habsworld Draft Central

Trizzak

HW Draft Central

Our own dlbalr has set up the place to be for Habs draft information. There is the HW Mock draft, a complete list of Montreal draftees, a brief history of Canadiens 18th OA selections, and an article on 5 options Montreal has for their pick.

In this thread, post who you think Gainey should select with Montreal's first round pick. The ever popular hulking centerman? A defenceman from Minnesota? A new future #1 goaltender?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pretty good class this year. Would be a good time for Bob to give away "rights to negociate" with some of his 11 UFAs in return of 1st rounders (late ones would be good) or even early 2nd rounders.

BTW, the more it goes, the more I'm getting selled on Leblanc. He's got that edge/character attitude with great speed we've been so sorely lacking for years. He's 6-0 but will probably be around 6-1, 6-2 once he's done growing and reaches the NHL. Picture Lapierre with better offense and smoother hands and you've got Leblanc.

My darkhorse favorite is Jordan Caron. Ok, might have to do with the face that he's from my hometown and friend of the family, but watching him play at the Mem Cup sold me on his upside. A big, true two-way player, with a big shot, who can play RW & C, loves to hit, steps up in crunch time. Would be ranked higher if he hadnt been injured most of the season. Another 6-2 dependable guys in the mold of Lapierre/Latendresse, Habs can't go wrong with that, but at #18th he might be a reach. Unless Leblanc is off the board at 18th and all is left is defensemen or more smallish offensive forwards like Palmieri, I'd love for Gainey to just get another late 1st round pick to get him. He's a teammate of Olivier Fortier, so the Habs should know him very well by now.

I know that we're desperate for a Centre, but man would I love to get Kassian on this team. Best hitter and fighter in the draft, you can grit and edge on this team, he can bring it.

Here we are pretty much 24 hours away, and I still don't know who I want. Leblanc seems okay, although he won't be in the NHL for possibly 5 years (you don't go to Harvard to leave early). I want a player who can make an impact somewhat soon (3 years away or so), which means CHL or one of the Swedes.

I like Holland, but he's plummeting down towards the early 2nd round it seems. Caron isn't bad, but 18 is too high for him I think. If we opt to trade down to pick up another pick, then by all means he'd be a legit option. Ashton is another intriguing option although he is a winger too. Kassian if he slips that far would be a steal.

I just hope whoever gets picked doesn't get booed, regardless of the circumstances. I can picture it now - "With the 18th pick, the Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select from the OHL, Peter Holland!" (had to use the HW mock one of course). Mass booing erupts, a wonderful "Welcome to the NHL moment" occurs. Also, a telling sign to UFA's is given, that non-locals aren't welcome - it may not be the true reality, but indeed perception is reality and I'm sure it could be construed that way. Whoever's lucky enough to go, cheer for whoever gets picked, regardless of the circumstances (and while you're at it, here's hoping we don't hear any stupid chants as I've seen people on other boards planning to do). Send a positive message throughout the league for the first time in what seems like a long time. Come to think of it, that's what I want most from this draft, the Habs coming out with some positive vibes that won't scare 95% of the UFA's away.

As for who I want...I've got another day to figure it out still. :)

Theyll take Landon Ferraro 5'10" 170 lbs

when they should take

Kreider 6'2" 200+ lbs

Carter 6'3" 200 + lbs

Kassian 6'3" 210 lbs

Ect, etc, etc

I'd stay away from Leblanc. Not enough size, didnt really dominate and is playing below his level in out of the way Omaha. No thanks

But I guess Timmins likes the Americans eh?

BTW, the more it goes, the more I'm getting selled on Leblanc. He's got that edge/character attitude with great speed we've been so sorely lacking for years. He's 6-0 but will probably be around 6-1, 6-2 once he's done growing and reaches the NHL. Picture Lapierre with better offense and smoother hands and you've got Leblanc.

:P

Finally changed your mind. My only concern is that Leblanc never surpasses the 3rd line centre role.

:P

Finally changed your mind. My only concern is that Leblanc never surpasses the 3rd line centre role.

Read my post carefully. I said if Leblanc isnt on the board anymore at 18 (high possibility, he's drew comparisons to Mike Richards and plays with an edge all teams wants) then I'd want Caron, not just for the local flavor, but because he fits our need for big, gritty, 2-way character guy. After seeing the absolute collapse of the team last season, I wants character as a premium; and a sense of moral "duty" mosty demonstrated by local players last season.

As for Holland: Habs never had any luck drafting 1st rounders out of the OHL. Holland would bring flashbacks of Chipchura, Jason Ward, Matt Higgins and Terry Ryan. Perhaps unfair to the kid; but highly understandable given the poor track record of the Habs. Recent later round picks out of the OHL who surprised dont really mean anything given the fact that Montreal did the same out of every other league as well. Besides, Holland reminds me too much of Chad Kilger at the same age.

@kaos: I higly doubt that Kassian & Carter are still available at 18.

Apparently the Habs are interested in Simon Després

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...-avec-le-ch.php

Would make sense that the Habs look for a D if Gainey expects to lose a bunch.

few years ago, they were the team that talked the most with esposito...

Brian Burke told TSN that he expects the NYI to pick Matt Duchene 1st overall?!

You know, nothing ordinary ever happens in Montreal when it comes to NHL things. I expect some sparks and excitement out of this draft day.

Brian Burke told TSN that he expects the NYI to pick Matt Duchene 1st overall?!

You know, nothing ordinary ever happens in Montreal when it comes to NHL things. I expect some sparks and excitement out of this draft day.

If the Isles do that they are idiots. If the guy you want is at 3 you can parlay that

to get the guy you want + more.

If the Isles do that they are idiots. If the guy you want is at 3 you can parlay that

to get the guy you want + more.

McKenzie still thinks NYI will take Hedman. That's who I would also take, best overall player in the draft. Plus I'd want Tavares to fall on TB's lap so he can play with Stamkos like at the WJC of 2008... and make TB more likely to move Vinny. :D

Uh, no more write-in box?

I said ATL would trade it's pick to TO!

We've had some adventures with and without the box - when I first tried putting it up earlier in the week (Monday I think), it was nightmare city. I think keeping it simple is best. If you think ATL will trade down to 7, pick who you think the Leafs will take at 4 and Atlanta at 7.

Ugh... I kept inadvertently clicking on the Montreal Canadiens link, which loaded a new page and when I came back to the form it was all cleared. I musta restarted a dozen times. By the end I was so tired I just winged it.

My picks sent in as well, it differs quite a bit from the mock I put together before the HW Mock conference - especially in the middle where nothing stayed the same from my original.

Dlbalr, I didn't get them. When did you filled it?