Habsworld Draft Central

Trizzak

+1 :clap:

Couldn't have said it better myself, a must read for Habs nay-sayers like Kaos.

Cause I am not capable of contributing anything useful myself - nhlfarter

I totally disagree that Montreal has one of the best prospects cupboards in the NHL. Althoght I will say I have no idea about other teams prospect lists

But whos capapble of stepping in this year from Hamilton? Nobody. D'Agostini and Paccioretty are already there dont count them. Price and Halak have been there a few years now

No defensmen are coming this year. Subban needs atleast a year in the AHL. Emelin may never come. McDonaugh is a few years away?

Definitley no forwards. Where the #1 centre in the system that the club has required since Bobby Smith was here? Maybe Kirk Muller?

Where the big powerforward in the system?

Ryan White? Ben Maxwell? Danny Kristo? These are part of the best prospects in the league?

And no goalie prospects?

Where are all these prospects you speak of?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his number one problem is upstairs. He's thinking and not playing. He needs to give himself a break, stop planning his every move, and play on instinct - which is how he was successful at first. It's quite obvious he's thinking through everything right now. Gripping the stick too tight, holding on to the puck too long - use whatever cliches you like.

+1

Higgins & Plekanec both suffers from the same syndrome: thinking too much, getting down on themselves too hard, working hard but ineffectively, etc. They're at their best when they just relax...

... and we should have vets who can get them to relax. But we had the Self-Centered Silent Squad for vets.

Cause I am not capable of contributing anything useful myself - nhlfarter

I totally disagree that Montreal has one of the best prospects cupboards in the NHL. Althoght I will say I have no idea about other teams prospect lists

But whos capapble of stepping in this year from Hamilton? Nobody. D'Agostini and Paccioretty are already there dont count them. Price and Halak have been there a few years now

No defensmen are coming this year. Subban needs atleast a year in the AHL. Emelin may never come. McDonaugh is a few years away?

Definitley no forwards. Where the #1 centre in the system that the club has required since Bobby Smith was here? Maybe Kirk Muller?

Ryan White? Ben Maxwell? Danny Kristo? These are part of the best prospects in the league?

And no goalie prospects?

nice post kaos.. telling 'em like it is.

:clap:

Couldn't have said it better myself, a must read for Habs fans who always got their rose colored glasses on.

And no goalie prospects?

Having a good prospects pool doesnt necessarily means having a tons of bluechippers. Have actually had none. Yet they're regarded as having one of the best filled cupboard of almost sure-fire NHLers.

I know eh? I LOVE IT! :-P

I'll never be able to forget it now.

PIT.gifpicks Simon Després

I know eh? I LOVE IT! :-P

love the addition of the L ... Noahl sounds swedish!

And with that, I officially had more success than the HW Mock Draft! It's funny because I'd only heard of maybe three guys before this week.

I redid my mock draft so many times I dont even remember who I put where.

I redid my mock draft so many times I dont even remember who I put where.

Yeah, I had to redo mine after it was discovered the form for submissions was messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed almost everyone between 10 and 30. I ended up getting the top 4, Kassian, and LeBlanc correct. I also had the Jackets taking Moore, but obviously in the wrong spot.

I apologize for the name calling, thats not very nice of me

:clap: :clap: :clap: You're learning! Maybe next time you won't even post an insult!

You have no idea how ecstatic I am right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the Habs passed on him, I was hoping Vancouver would snatch him up. I knew you'd love that pick. Probably would have taken him myself for the Habs.

Having a good prospects pool doesnt necessarily means having a tons of bluechippers. Have actually had none. Yet they're regarded as having one of the best filled cupboard of almost sure-fire NHLers.

I'll never be able to forget it now.

PIT.gifpicks Simon Després

\

Is that like almost have the surefire winning lottary ticket?

I'd rather have 1 bluechipper, then a bunch of guys like Maxwell, White, Kristo, Chipchura etc, etc, Atleast with a bluechip prospect you have hope. Been awhile since the last great sure thing has come along in Montreal. I honestly thoght it was Carey Price, and hope it still is. But its hard to think after the finish of the last two seasons that hes it

Yeah, Montreal's prospect pool was considered top 5 like 2 years ago, all the guys are on the team now, and it's starting to dry up. Still, we've got a lot of prospect depth and aren't bad off. Just we need high potential offensive forwards. Schroeder would have been nice despite his size.

\

I'd rather have 1 bluechipper, then a bunch of guys like Maxwell, White, Kristo, Chipchura etc, etc, Atleast with a bluechip prospect you have hope. Been awhile since the last great sure thing has come along in Montreal. I honestly thoght it was Carey Price, and hope it still is. But its hard to think after the finish of the last two seasons that hes it

In theory having a lot of young cheap talent-especially in the cap system- should allow the Habs to package some in trade for an impact player. I'm not sure if our talent is overrated by our organization compared to how other teams rate it, or if Bob just incapable of pulling the trigger on something.

Edited by yorickbrown

\

Having 1 bluechipper, unless it's Lindros and there's a dumb Bobby Clarke out there; gets you nowhere my friend.

Having a deep pool of good prospects, even if none is a bluechipper, can turn you into the New Jersey Devils or the, well, Habs from 86 to 93.

Depth is important, quality depth is even more important. Once you got depth, you can move multiple assets for those bluechippers, ie. upgrade for what you really need.

In theory having a lot of young cheap talent-especially in the cap system- should allow the Habs to package some in trade for an impact player. I'm not sure if our talent is overrated by our organization compared to how other teams rate it, or if Bob just incapable of pulling the trigger on something.

I think, with the lack of proper mentoring from our vets/coaches, our good prospects zigged when they should have zagged last season. That's what Bob needs to work on. Martin should bring a more structured culture around the team, but the kids also needs to have better role models on the roster itself. No matter how good your prospects are, if you cant put them in an environment with people that'll bring out the best of them, they'll crap on the carpet.

Drunk. Just noticed I let my home cactus die for not giving it the water it needs. Happy about our pick.

Timmins gave hell of a show ! He sounded like Pierre Lacroix announcing a OT winning goal when he announced Leblanc !!!

Having 1 bluechipper, unless it's Lindros and there's a dumb Bobby Clarke out there; gets you nowhere my friend.

Having a deep pool of good prospects, even if none is a bluechipper, can turn you into the New Jersey Devils or the, well, Habs from 86 to 93.

Depth is important, quality depth is even more important. Once you got depth, you can move multiple assets for those bluechippers, ie. upgrade for what you really need.

Please dont compare Montreals farm system to the Devils Its embarrasing. There is no way the current prospects in the Montreal system will produce anything like the success The Devils have had.

Gainey knows that, and thats why hes trying to find a Proven #1 NHL centre. And did you see what he said when TSN asked him about any current deals what he said? Yeah theres a few deals there to be made, but its the compensation that leaves something to be desired. Which means that Montreal doesnt have enough in the cupboard to pull off a deal without emptying it, or they want too much off the NHL roster which would cripple the team, ie Price, Markov, creating the hole somwhere else

The habs from 86 to 93 cannot be compared with this team. First you have to greatest goalie to ever play the game. Nobody can say that for Carey Price right now. They had Richer who popped 50 goals twice, and Naslund and Smith who could put 80+ points on the board. They had some great defensmen in Ludwig, Chelios, Green, Dehardins, Schneider, Levebvre etc. The had Carbonneau, Keane, McPhee, Skrudland, guys how knew how to win

The current team has next to none of that.

And this team doesnt have depth. Or quality depth now. Whats going to happen if Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Dandenault, Bouillion, Schneider, and Lang all leave? Where are all the replacements going ot come from?

And really who is Montrel going to trade to attract Lecavalier, Thornton, Marleau or Clowe? At minimum its now a top 6 forward, a pick and a prospect. That might get you Marleau, but it'll be more for the other two.

Name the top 6 forward?

Betcha the prospect is going to be Subban, whos the next best prospect after than. Maybe Emelin? Is he coming to North America?

The 1st rd pick could very well be a lottory pick next year if Montreal cant sign any of their ufa, or any others. They might easly be in the bottom 5 next year with no Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek and if Price struggles again. Do you wanna lose a lottory pick for Lecavalier? If not then you give up more prospects

And if you do trade away the 1st rd pick, thats less picks ya have to restock the cupboard.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but until Bob creates some optimism, its hard to have faith right now

Yeah, I had to redo mine after it was discovered the form for submissions was messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed almost everyone between 10 and 30. I ended up getting the top 4, Kassian, and LeBlanc correct. I also had the Jackets taking Moore, but obviously in the wrong spot.

:clap: :clap: :clap: You're learning! Maybe next time you won't even post an insult!

Theres always hope......

The habs from 86 to 93 cannot be compared with this team. First you have to greatest goalie to ever play the game. Nobody can say that for Carey Price right now. They had Richer who popped 50 goals twice, and Naslund and Smith who could put 80+ points on the board. They had some great defensmen in Ludwig, Chelios, Green, Dehardins, Schneider, Levebvre etc. The had Carbonneau, Keane, McPhee, Skrudland, guys how knew how to win

The current team has next to none of that.

And this is where the subtlety of the topic escapes your grasp.

Roy was never a bluechipper, he was a 3rd rounder. Richer was never a bluechipper a late 2nd rounder. Naslund was a plucked out of the depths of Sweden (which, in 79, was, like, Slovenia in 2009). Carbonneau was a late 3rd rounder in the same year. Chris Chelios was also a late 2nd rounder.

Nobody in all those notorious names that were part of the 86 & 93 squads the Habs drafted (or used for trade) were bluechippers. But they were good picks and some happened be better than expected, and some even downright developped into stars.

Which is the whole point of having good depth, because law of average says in all your good prospects, perhaps a couple of them will go beyond expectations.

This is what makes experts around the league say that the Habs have one of the best crop of prospects in the league. Because it's one of the deepest group of talented players with upside. When year in and year out you can draft about 4, 5 guys who will one day be NHL regulars, you're doing a damn good job stocking up on prospects. Getting to have some of those turn into stars is an entirely different matter. But if you have depth in the first place, then you have assets to trade.

why are so many people happy to draft another smurf forward? 5/11 170 lbs? this is what we need? hell lets just keep saku and pay him a few bucks. This draft is cause what bob wanted was not there in my opinion or lets make the Quebecois happy and draft a local guy that probably won't make it. What happened to BPA. He is not it.

Edited by habs rule

I have yet to see any scouting report that says Leblanc will not make it.

I have yet to see him referred to as anything except a 'big, strong centre'.

He'll break in with us after Saku is long gone, they won't overlap.

Timmins said they wanted to move up to take him, tried with Fla., didn't work out so they had their fingers crossed that he would still be there. Sounds like he was their guy, he was pretty excited when he announced Leblanc, and with Bob's blessing I'd think.

Who was a better player available, in your opinion? I don't see minor / junior hockey, so have to rely on scouts, professionals, eye-witnesses, analysts, etc. Maybe a few of them are wrong, but haven't heard anything about Leblanc like you mentioned. Give the kid a chance, at least we're not the Raiders drafting Hayward-Bey!

why are so many people happy to draft another smurf forward? 5/11 170 lbs? this is what we need? hell lets just keep saku and pay him a few bucks. This draft is cause what bob wanted was not there in my opinion or lets make the Quebecois happy and draft a local guy that probably won't make it. What happened to BPA. He is not it.

:rolleyes:

why are so many people not yet familiar with the concept that 17, 18 yrs old players still have room to grow? Leblanc is 6-0, 180 with room to grow. He'll be around 6-2, 200 by the time he's 21. Exactly like Lapierre. Is Lapierre a smurf?

And HE WAS THE BPA at 18. Bob McKenzie had him 17th on his list, CSB had him 13th in NA. A right-handed center with 1st-line talent and grit and you're not happy? Is it because he's Quebecois that you dont like him? Because that seems to be the only reason.