Is Bob Going to do Something Surprising?

REV-G

Oh yeah? Tell me how you'd feel if your boss fired me over the phone? Would you still be saying he was the best, classiest boss you ever had?

Yeah didn't think so

If I worked for the Hamilton branch of my company and my boss worked at the head Montreal branch I probably wouldn't expect him to come down and personally fire me, and better not have me come up to Montreal only to fire me. I probably would personally think he was a ###### anyways just for firing me, but that probably wouldn't effect what others thought of him that much.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that somethings up since he has offer Komisarek a contract but not Tanguay. This makes me think Bob feels he has a reasonable chance to get a star forward. I'll go out on a limb and predict he's after Marleau. San Jose needs to shake up their team if only to appease their fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Plek + O'Byrne and a couple of our prospects (Weber and Kristo say) for Marleau.

Edited by Peter Puck

CKAC - Komisarek has been offered a contract.

CKAC - english google

There's much going on and Gainey is going to do something I hope. Somethings brewin'. Whether or not it translates into happenings is anyones guess.

Can't wait for the weekend. :clap:

Then the ball is in Komi's hands now. Im quite sure Bob hasnt lowballed him.

If only Komi has been offered a contract yet; and that Bob is waiting after the draft to get to Tanguay, Koivu & Kovy; it's because he has something up his sleeve for the draft that would impact the salary mass. Otherwise he wouldnt have waited after the draft.

If only Komi has been offered a contract yet; and that Bob is waiting after the draft to get to Tanguay, Koivu & Kovy; it's because he has something up his sleeve for the draft that would impact the salary mass. Otherwise he wouldnt have waited after the draft.

Sure looks that way.

I keep reading that the Habsw should go for JayBo...but you guys can forget about him. Now that Martin is in Montreal, Jaybo won't come here!

Id rather win cup's than have loads of caproom. Each year we sit here laughing at all other teams signing their stars for what we call "crazy contracts" still its those teams that end up winning cups and going far into the playoffs while we sit here with a team that soon looks more and more like the other teams farms. Id love to have an overpayed superstar for once and Id love to see us overpay a little to keep Komisarek, especially now when he is aproaching 30 years old and should be in his primetime. But noooo, lets dump all good players because they want to be paid like good players and stick with our 4 lines of 3rd-liners. /CRY PLS resign Komi.

:clap::clap::clap:

I agree!

If Komi wants 5 million over 5 years, why not offer him 4.5 million over 6 years?? He might accept a little less for long term security!

Edited by Habsfan

I keep reading that the Habsw should go for JayBo...but you guys can forget about him. Now that Martin is in Montreal, Jaybo won't come here!

I was never one of those who even thought about having J-Bo. He always seemed to me the kind that would die in Montreal's pressure-cooker. He's so shy and all.

He always seemed to me the kind that would die in Montreal's pressure-cooker. He's so shy and all.

Agreed! I don't think he has the mental toughness to play in hard core Hockey markets!

:clap::clap::clap:

I agree!

If Komi wants 5 million over 5 years, why not offer him 4.5 million over 6 years?? He might accept a little less for long term security!

LOL

what about Komi saying something like : What about 5 million for 6 years then ??

LOL

what about Komi saying something like : What about 5 million for 6 years then ??

I'd go as high as 5 million$ per year.

I'd go as high as 5 million$ per year.

Personnaly, I wouldn't mind paying Komisarek up to 6M to be sure that he doesn't kill Habs players every game.

Personnaly, I wouldn't mind paying Komisarek up to 6M to be sure that he doesn't kill Habs players every game.

Prior to last season, he looked like he'd be worth 5-6M. If he bounces back, the contract won't be bad. But until then, you can bet Bob will get blasted.

Prior to last season, he looked like he'd be worth 5-6M. If he bounces back, the contract won't be bad. But until then, you can bet Bob will get blasted.

He will bounce back. By that logic, then, the contract will be fine.

Personally I'm not sure you should pay $6 mil for a D-man who can't score (Komi) any more than you should pay $6-mil for a D-man who can't defend (Souray). $5 mil I could live with.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

He will bounce back. By that logic, then, the contract will be fine.

Personally I'm not sure you should pay $6 mil for a D-man who can't score (Komi) any more than you should pay $6-mil for a D-man who can't defend (Souray). $5 mil I could live with.

There is pretty much no way to avoid paying up for your own UFA. Look at us - we refused to pay the 5M x 5 for Souray, we refused to pay the 4.1M for Streit, and then we refuse to pay the 5.5M for Komisarek. We eventually run out of resources. The only way to avoid it is to continually draft and develop perfectly so that you never run out of replacements.

Scoring or no scoring, we used to consider Komisarek a legit #2 defenseman, better than Hamrlik (who deserved his salary at that time). A #2 defenseman hitting the free agent market gets paid 5+ million dollars.

Forget what we can't pay. What we can't do is let our core pieces walk away. Banking on a replacement in Beauchemin or Oduya or Morris or Ohlund or Bouwmeester is wishful thinking. The odds are against any one of them signing here.

I'd rather have Komi overpaid on our team than overpaid on another team.

There is pretty much no way to avoid paying up for your own UFA. Look at us - we refused to pay the 5M x 5 for Souray, we refused to pay the 4.1M for Streit, and then we refuse to pay the 5.5M for Komisarek. We eventually run out of resources. The only way to avoid it is to continually draft and develop perfectly so that you never run out of replacements.

Scoring or no scoring, we used to consider Komisarek a legit #2 defenseman, better than Hamrlik (who deserved his salary at that time). A #2 defenseman hitting the free agent market gets paid 5+ million dollars.

Forget what we can't pay. What we can't do is let our core pieces walk away. Banking on a replacement in Beauchemin or Oduya or Morris or Ohlund or Bouwmeester is wishful thinking. The odds are against any one of them signing here.

I'd rather have Komi overpaid on our team than overpaid on another team.

Close this thread.

I cannot understand how anyone thinks Mike Komisarek is worth anything more than $4 Million a year. So what if hes big. The guy got schooled badly by Milan Lucic. He provides absolutley nothing offensively and when not paired with Andrei Markov, looks like a 5th or 6th defenseman at best.

I am going to be so dissapointed if anybody signs this guy for more than $4 to $4.5 Million a year for a long term contract. Obviously that whole lockout was bullshit

I cannot understand how anyone thinks Mike Komisarek is worth anything more than $4 Million a year. So what if hes big. The guy got schooled badly by Milan Lucic. He provides absolutley nothing offensively and when not paired with Andrei Markov, looks like a 5th or 6th defenseman at best.

I am going to be so dissapointed if anybody signs this guy for more than $4 to $4.5 Million a year for a long term contract. Obviously that whole lockout was bullshit

he is a UFA.

The boldfaced part is the aspect of your argument that worries me a bit. That Lucic beat him up proves only that Komisarek is not a FIGHTER. It doesn't mean that he isn't a bone-cruching checker and elite shutdown guy.

With Komi, we need to have memories more than a year long. He played hurt most of last season, and like the rest of the team seemed confused and lacking confidence. But for the two years prior to 08-09 he was universally regarded as an emerging top-end shutdown guy, and in 07-08 he was top-5 in the NHL in that capacity (and he did it, incidentally, without dropping the gloves and pounding on guys). He is turning 27 - in other words, he hasn't hit his prime yet and is likely just about to enter it. It's not unusual for players who came into the league young to have a 'setback' season around 25 or 26 (c.f. Mike Ribeiro, who took a step back at 25/26 and then surged forward). So last season isn't everything.

I don't say that we *should* pay $5.5 mil for Komi. It's possible he is a mirage created by Markov (but then, how come Markov didn't make him look better last season? And let's remember he was a 1st-round pick and highly touted on his own merits). Ultimately I tend to agree with BTH. You can't keep bleeding assets, waiting for the mythic Perfect Player to show up before you fork over the money. Doug Harvey isn't about to stroll around the corner; and Komi will be the third top-4 defenceman we'll have lost in three seasons - how is that a recipe for success? Last season aside, Komi looks like a bona fide 'core' player to me. Those are the guys you lock up.

ADDENDUM: as for the topic of this thread, this article pretty much has Bob himself declaring that he is bound and determined to find that star C we're all obsessed about. So perhaps the real surprise will be if he doesn't land one after a declaration this blunt and public:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Habs...2910/story.html

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber