Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

And the money for that comes from... ?

Not to mention the defence......

Need to listen to some norwegian black metal and get back on track again... Gainey = PHAIL!!!

The Habs have many youngsters making less than a million or just above to allow for this.

MaxPac,Skostits,Lapierre, Weber, Gorges, Halak, Latendresse to name most of them. Even Price slated for .850 plus bonuses.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marginal, at best. We have 20 prospects better than them.

I disagree about Pyatt, he's in my top-20 without even blinking. This guy was a key factor for Team Canada at the World Juniors less than 3 years ago, hardly a write-off in any regard. He was a regular in the AHL this season, I expect him to be an impact player for the Bulldogs this year and have a shot at the NHL 2 years from now. Busto...nothing to write home about, that's for sure.

AKostits/Gomez/Kovalev

2nd line

Pacioretty/Plekanec/SKostitsyn

Latendresse/Lapierre/Laraque

If BG can somehow put together a good 2nd line, i will be happy.

Tanguay, Koivu, Hossa/Gaborik sure would look good.

Yes that sounds good too!

I agree, no WAY should McDonagh have been there. My original post was written without knowing he was in the deal. But I do think it's a bit rich to be going berserk over prospects who are 4-5 years away, with no *guarantee* of their becoming elite. I've seen too many prospects too overrated around here for too long - remember when O'Byrne was a sure-fire top-4 guy? Or Higgins a 40/40 man? Or Bulis a future star? Etc. - to be hurling anathemas at Bob for trading one of them (and aren't we still pretty stacked with prospects at D?). If you look at it in PURE hockey terms, contract aside, this is quite obviously a good deal for us. It's the contract that worries me, of course. The only consolation there is that we likely won't feel that pinch for a couple of years...

Some are devaluing Gomez because he had a poor season last year. As I recall, the year before he started abysmally and then ended up reeling off serious, PPG-production for the last 3/4 of the season. Not sure what happened last year - the Rangers were pretty much a mess - but this is hardly a piece of crap we're getting here. He's an elite playmaker and skater, legitimate #1 C stuff.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I agree with you. At the same time.. Gomez EATS out our cap until 2014. So... nothing will happen on the UFA front until 2014.

I am also not so happy with the fact that as of right now, I don't see him as "THAT much" superior to Koivu. It also makes the Ribeiro trade twice as much.

Finally, I don't understand why it costed way less to the Stars to get Richards (whom I prefer to Gomez)

He definitely is a better option than Koivu - the guy's in decline! In two years, Koivu will be Metropolit.

We didn't get a good deal but this is the result of Bob failing to land past #1 Cs (whose contracts would have been just as crippling - Briere, Lecavalier, Richards) and being forced into a desperate situation, therefore making a move out of desperation.

What I don't like seeing is Sather finding a way out of the huge mistake he made in throwing out that contract to Gomez. Now, with the cap space, he's probably going to throw 4.5M at Lang. :rolleyes:

What I don't like seeing is Sather finding a way out of the huge mistake he made in throwing out that contract to Gomez. Now, with the cap space, he's probably going to throw 4.5M at Lang. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Horrible..... There's no reason why Gainey should have to pay the market price for Gomez when the Rangers wanted to shed salary, and this is AT LEAST the market price.

The other thing that pisses me off, if you're gonna go with Plan D, may as well wait until late in the summer. This just gives a team in our conference the flexibility to possibly go after some of the same FA's that we want. Way to go, Bob.

Best wishes to Higgins and McDonagh, they're off to a better place. I am not going to wish failure upon them just to make this deal look better. Bob got shreded on so many levels here.

We're overvaluing McDonagh. There's no way to know NOW if we overpayed or if we stole. We'll know in 5 years.

The fact remains that the cap hit for Gomez is roughly equivalent to that of Vinny, so I can't see this as a move to preceed something bigger in TB.

Sure Gomez is instantly one of the best players on the team, but he comes at a hefty pricetag for someone who is 5'10" and mostly a perimeter passer. I guess if they are gonna keep him he'd be paired with the 2 snipers (kovy and AKost) for a pretty solid 1st line.

In Bob we Trust? (getting kinda old imo)

The fact remains that the cap hit for Gomez is roughly equivalent to that of Vinny, so I can't see this as a move to preceed something bigger in TB.

Sure Gomez is instantly one of the best players on the team, but he comes at a hefty pricetag for someone who is 5'10" and mostly a perimeter passer. I guess if they are gonna keep him he'd be paired with the 2 snipers (kovy and AKost) for a pretty solid 1st line.

In Bob we Trust? (getting kinda old imo)

Gomez will go to the net. He's not a permiter player.

Report on Pyatt:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/tom_pyatt

The payoff:

Pyatt has second line NHL potential, but has the defensive ability to be a checker as well. He will have to continue to get stronger on the puck and quicker in all facets of his game. Given his work ethic, Pyatt should be a candidate for promotion to the NHL within 2-3 years.

Sounds like, at the very least, we didn't get spare parts from the Rangers.

Again, in hockey terms if not contractual terms, this is a very balanced trade.

McDonagh>Pyatt, but Pyatt remains a good prospect

Gomez>Higgins, but Higgins is a useful player

Also, in assessing the contractual stuff, should we factor in the raise Higgins will get as a UFA? Say he ends up making $4 mil. Whoever we use to replace him - likely Pacioretty or someone like that - will probably be $2-3 million cheaper. So you CAN (sort of) rationalize the cap logic that way. Gomez is what, $2 mil more than Koivu, but we recoup that money by not paying Higgins's salary. If Higgins's replacement is at least roughly as effective as Higgins (keeping in mind Higgins's health issues too) then this deal may not be the financial debacle it appears to be.

For MacGuire to call this a 'catastrophe' strikes me as overblown at the very least.

Renodo makes a devastating point about Bob freeing up cap room for the Rangers JUST IN TIME for UFA season. Sheesh! How about waiting a week??? ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well Higgins and Komisarek are my favourite Habs... looks like it's time to find somebody new. I actually don't mind Gomez, I think he's a solid centreman and is certainly capable of being a first line guy.

People keep saying that if we wanted to spend this kind of salary on a C we should've traded for Vinny, but I have to imagine that Gainey would've shopped this offer to Tampa Bay first. If they weren't interested then what was he to do? Had he done nothing everyone here would've been villifying him for standing pat.

I don't like the inclusion of McDo in this deal because I think it turns a position of strength (Defence Prospects) into one of weakness. Fischer isn't developing and outside of Subban we now are reliant on a bunch of guys who MAY turn into something. We really wont know who won this deal for years until we can see what type of NHL player McDo turns into.

For the time being I just hope this move doesn't limit us when it comes to bidding on free agents.

I think we can safely say though that we're out of the Sedin sweepstakes :P.

Horrible..... There's no reason why Gainey should have to pay the market price for Gomez when the Rangers wanted to shed salary, and this is AT LEAST the market price.

The other thing that pisses me off, if you're gonna go with Plan D, may as well wait until late in the summer. This just gives a team in our conference the flexibility to possibly go after some of the same FA's that we want. Way to go, Bob.

Best wishes to Higgins and McDonagh, they're off to a better place. I am not going to wish failure upon them just to make this deal look better. Bob got shreded on so many levels here.

The ones that we want?!?!? When are we gonna understand that stars dont wanna come and play in Mtl. We gotta snatch them against their will!!! the only ones we would get otherwise would be Briere Lang and all the other washed up ex-top liners!

I wouldnt be surprised that Gomez is now asking Bob to trade him again!

The ones that we want?!?!? When are we gonna understand that stars dont wanna come and play in Mtl. We gotta snatch them against their will!!! the only ones we would get otherwise would be Briere Lang and all the other washed up ex-top liners!

I wouldnt be surprised that Gomez is now asking Bob to trade him again!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure Gomez had some sort of movement restriction in his contract, so he may have had to waive it to accept the deal.

I disagree about Pyatt, he's in my top-20 without even blinking. This guy was a key factor for Team Canada at the World Juniors less than 3 years ago, hardly a write-off in any regard. He was a regular in the AHL this season, I expect him to be an impact player for the Bulldogs this year and have a shot at the NHL 2 years from now. Busto...nothing to write home about, that's for sure.

6-0, 187, 4th rounder, 11 pts in 41 games last year. If Chipchura/Locke/Milroy couldnt make it with us, than Pyatt will have an even harder time. With all out skilled prospects, he's destined to be a career AHLer for us IMHO.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure Gomez had some sort of movement restriction in his contract, so he may have had to waive it to accept the deal.

If so then I would be relieved to hear that!

Edited by CoRvInA

I think he had 7.37m movement restrictions on that deal. :wacko:

6-0, 187, 4th rounder, 11 pts in 41 games last year. If Chipchura/Locke/Milroy couldnt make it with us, than Pyatt will have an even harder time. With all out skilled prospects, he's destined to be a career AHLer for us IMHO.

That was 2 years ago. This year, 15-22-37 in 73 games. Nothing earth shattering, but for a checker, that's not bad for a first pro season. I'd give him a chance before writing him off at least.

The ONE positive I can see out of it all is that we got the playmaker we sorely lacked last season. We got plenty of shooters, but nobody that can create plays. Gomez should fill that need, but again, so would have Tanguay.

Still... I can't believe this is the best Gainey could do. :puke: I hope he has more (better) up his sleeve than that deal.

It's 11pm in London UK. I'm going to bed after half an hour of dry-heaving and clutching my stomach. McDonagh was supposed to be the next Larry Robinson, and we were supposed to get the Sedins in 12 hours' time. Gomez has just gone and flushed that down the loo.

So if I wake up and he hasn't been flipped for Malkin or Sundin, I will be upset.

Wait, not Sundin.

This trade makes no sense! None! At all! Argh!

It isn't fair to compare him to what we could have had in Vinny. Gainey made an offer for Lecavalier and their ownership nixed it. Vinny wasn't an option. It's more like this vs giving up something similar for Briere vs giving up more than this for Marleau vs keeping Koivu/Lang vs trying your luck at the UFA market.

It was probably a decision between Subban and McDonagh and Gainey chose McDonagh. Not necessarily a bad decision but I don't see why we had to throw in either of them. We have Fischer, Weber, O'byrne, Emelin, Bennett and Carle to offer.

That was 2 years ago. This year, 15-22-37 in 73 games. Nothing earth shattering, but for a checker, that's not bad for a first pro season.

A career AHLer as long as he's an Habs, unless Bob decides to trade away the rest of our prospects. :rolleyes:

Tom Pyatt is a curiousity... he won't make or break this trade.

It's all on Gomez being a 70-85 point player. It's about us making the playoffs and winning when we're there.