Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

in paticular on this board. look at the deal as it stands. we traded higgins for gomez not koivu not lang not tanguay. if someone trys to tell me that higgins is better than gomez. he needs his head read. gomez could be a great asset as a 1st line centre. we will see how it works out. Giving up on Mcdo is regretable but in order to make a trade you have to give something up. Bob said he is going in a different direction. so fasten your seat belt we are going in a different direction. Not offering tanguay etc contracts was to give himself the maximum cap room to make a deal like this. if you had listened to him that is what he said. Yes gomez is overpaid. but if we win a cup who cares? There are more moves on the go. And tanguay ain't gone yet komi maybe. Gomez is a better centre than koivu at this stage of his career. Bob is not going the discount route anymore apparently. :hlogo:

+ Higgins was surely gone after next season (RFA this season, UFA next)

+ Higgins lost his A this winter and was suspected to maybe be one of the alleged "pommes pourrites"

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another comforting article :

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/?p=1294

Brunet saying it's far from being terrible. Saying that the contract is big, but the trade itself is good, praising Gomez (not his backchecking though)

saying that with bad wingers, probably a 60ish pts guy... (that's Koivu's good season with good wingers?!)

Let's hope he clicks with A. Kost?! :)

+ Higgins was surely gone after next season (RFA this season, UFA next)

+ Higgins lost his A this winter and was suspected to maybe be one of the alleged "pommes pourrites"

Yeah, I'm not sad to see Higgins go.

Anyways... we got a player who played for Tortorella, not just the one we wished for. :P

I wouldnt say "excellent". He's not a complete player: he's a passer. He has a good resume (2 cups and good playoffs), I'll give him that, but he averages 17 goals, 50 assist for 67 pts.

Remember people have whined for years that "Saku needs good wingers", well with Gomez it'll be the same old song. If his wingers dont score often, he'll be virtually useless.

If his wingers don't score, he'll get 6o points. If they do, he'll get closer to 80. He'll also be a player the other team will worry about containing because of his high-end footspeed. And he is an excellent playoff performer (funny how THAT only seems to matter in reverse, when a guy ISN'T a strong playoff performer). All of this is only 'useless' if the standard of comparison is Malkin or Crosby. Yep, we didn't get one of those guys. Yep, every player in the NHL who isn't a franchise player has some sort of limitations in their game. It doesn't follow that everyone except Makin, Crosby, Iginla, and a couple of other guys, sucks.

The problem of a declining Koivu has been solved and with an upgrade to boot. Now let's see what happens on D.

What I don't like seeing is Sather finding a way out of the huge mistake he made in throwing out that contract to Gomez. Now, with the cap space, he's probably going to throw 4.5M at Lang

...or maybe 4.75 million for KOMISAREK!!!!

Horrible..... There's no reason why Gainey should have to pay the market price for Gomez when the Rangers wanted to shed salary, and this is AT LEAST the market price.

Agreed. EVERYONE knew that the Rangers were desperate to shed salary. Bob could have waited and gotten Gomez for Higgins and Valetenko and janek...this deal reeks of desperation from Bob.

I've been patient with Bob. I believed in him for the first five years, but he's been with the organization for 6 years now, and I have to say i'm somewhat disappointed. With the announcement that komisarek will test free agency (and hearing that Boston IS REALLY interested in him) and the fact that he is most likely already gone from Montreal, i will definitely lose it. We aren't willing to overpay 500,000 or maybe 750,000$ per year for a guy who grew up in our organization, who over the past 5 years is 2nd in ALL THE NHL for bodychecks and is also in the top five for blocked shots, for a guy who has character and a definate candidate for the captaincy...yet we are willing to acquire a guy who'll be earning 7.5 million$ over the next five years. that's about 2 million$ more per year than what he's actually worth.

I will pray tonight. Pray that bob pulls a rabbit out of his hat and manages to Keep Komisarek in Montreal...cause if he ends up with the Bruins, I will want Bob FIRED ON THE SPOT.

I will also pray that maybe Bob isn't finished and he will turn around and make another trade to complement this one. Until then I will try to be patient, but right now, i don't like this deal...hopefully, I'll have a good reason to change my mind over the next 48 hours!

Edited by Habsfan

I did a little research on Facebook.

There is a Scott Gomez in the Montreal Network, born in 1975.

There are a lot of Hate Scott Gomez pages... most by NJ fans. One by NYR fans, but they are 2.

There is also a page "Scott Gomez is my favorite mexican"

:P

Giving up on Mcdo is regretable but in order to make a trade you have to give something up.

Normally I'd say you were right, but every GM in the League knew that the Rangers were DESPERATE to shed some of those big contracts! Bob could have waited 24 hours and would have gotten Gomex without having to give up Mcdonough!

Alright, not a bad deal at all. Basically we upgrade on Koivu, but at a cost. The cap hit is big but we can afford it. So minus Higgins, how much do we have to spend now?

Our offense just got much better of paper but I worried more than ever about our defense. With Komi gone, McDonagh was a guy I was expecting to step in from Hamilton halfway through the season and run with the ball. We still have Subban and Fischer in the system, but from what I understand they are further away from the NHL than McDonagh is. That, plus losing Valentenko and Emelin to Russia, it's hard to be optimistic about our defensive situation as it stands. But then again, it's not even free agency time yet. Let's see what the final roster is going to look like before we piss and moan.

I expect Andrei will will ride shotgun to him but after we address our needs on defense, I would like to see if we have any leftover cash for someone like Havlat or Gaborik.

This is insane!

I almost cried when I read the news at the top of the homepage.

We just traded for another Koivu only making HUGE money for a long time. We got screwed and did our competitor a really big favor.

Bob Gainey had better have some serious plans to augment this team. We could have had the Sedins.

Now what?

Bob, you better step up or get the ###### out of here.

If his wingers don't score, he'll get 6o points. If they do, he'll get closer to 80. He'll also be a player the other team will worry about containing because of his high-end footspeed. And he is an excellent playoff performer (funny how THAT only seems to matter in reverse, when a guy ISN'T a strong playoff performer). All of this is only 'useless' if the standard of comparison is Malkin or Crosby. Yep, we didn't get one of those guys. Yep, every player in the NHL who isn't a franchise player has some sort of limitations in their game. It doesn't follow that everyone except Makin, Crosby, Iginla, and a couple of other guys, sucks.

The problem of a declining Koivu has been solved and with an upgrade to boot. Now let's see what happens on D.

I hate paying non elite players big dollars.

The Canadiens got the better end of the hockey trade, but this is not 2004, the salary cap is a huge

deal and locking $6.7M per season into Gomez for 5 years is far from desirable. Add in giving up McDonagh when

the Rangers were desperate to unload salary it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Decent trade for a 1st line centre with great speed n playmaking abilities.

Gomez is a proven winner, something koivu has yet to achieve and higgins has freakin stonehands at BEST.

It's a shame we had to lose Mcdonough, but i honestly think he doesnt have the size needed to make it in the NHL.. think brisebois type dman.

Valentenko has also been hyped as a kaspiritus type dman but has yet to showcase his talents and me thinks he's gonna go hit the KHL for more money.

Gomez is looking to rebound from last yr.. despite his BIG contract I like this deal because we finally got a 1st line Centre.

Pyatt was decent at the world jrs.. he can develop into a Malone type player.

Gainey definitely feels the pressure of having his job on the line.. with the new owners coming in soon, he had to turn something out of nothing.

Normally I'd say you were right, but every GM in the League knew that the Rangers were DESPERATE to shed some of those big contracts! Bob could have waited 24 hours and would have gotten Gomex without having to give up Mcdonough!

why?

I hate paying non elite players big dollars.

The Canadiens got the better end of the hockey trade, but this is not 2004, the salary cap is a huge

deal and locking $6.7M per season into Gomez for 5 years is far from desirable. Add in giving up McDonagh when

the Rangers were desperate to unload salary it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess I'll counter that with this: Yeah I'd rather have a star at that price, but there just aren't enough of them. You have to get the best player you can for that spot on the team. Like it or not, it probably was Gomez.

why?

Cause Sather would have been even more desperate to unload a HUGE contract!

the salary cap is a huge

deal and locking $6.7M per season into Gomez for 5 years is far from desirable.

Actually, it's closer to 7.3 million per year as a cap hit!

Edited by Habsfan

I guess I'll counter that with this: Yeah I'd rather have a star at that price, but there just aren't enough of them. You have to get the best player you can for that spot on the team. Like it or not, it probably was Gomez.

I still would have saved the bullet for next summer. Gomez is not going to make this team a Cup contender.

Gainey just stressed patience, I waited and remained patient for Gomez?

That is the payoff of 5 years of support? That is the progressive thinking I credited him with?

Anyways, I am going to wait to see what other bullets he fires before ripping him a new ahole.

I am praying it gets better than this and this is the first domino and not the last.

Cause Sather would have been even more desperate to unload a HUGE contract!

Actually, it's closer to 7.3 million per year as a cap hit!

I read 6.7M on another site.

I am praying it gets better than this and this is the first domino and not the last.

That makes two of us!

I will be a patient padawan for the next 48 hours...see what else Bob has to offer us!

I still would have saved the bullet for next summer. Gomez is not going to make this team a Cup contender.

Gainey just stressed patience, I waited and remained patient for Gomez?

That is the payoff of 5 years of support? That is the progressive thinking I credited him with?

Anyways, I am going to wait to see what other bullets he fires before ripping him a new ahole.

I read 6.7M on another site.

Nope, 7.357M

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0910