Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

I'm fairly convinced that the worst job in hockey is GM of the Habs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Damned if you choose French, damned if you don't. The so-called knowledgeable fans dislike every move and cheer every move at differing points of the season. The first game Gomez shines, Bob's a God. The first tough game he has, Bob should be run out of town. You can't attract UFA's because the media is ridiculous, the fans are obscene, politics seem more important than sport, the weather and taxes are a bitch and schooling can potentially be an issue. What does Montreal have? A glowing history? Big whuppeedoo. Poor Bob, can't win for trying.

I wonder what the reactions would have been had Bob made the same trade for Vinny. Half would be praising him to the Gods and the other half would be pillorying him. Or maybe everyone would love him until they realized that Vinny was going to bring about the same point production as Koivu. Then they'd want Bob killed and Vinny neutered and run out of town.

LOL Can't win.

I love you :wub:

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Small centre: check

- Expensive: check

- Doesn't speak French: check

That should be fun !!!! :clap:

BTW, I can see Stevie Wonders from my apartment as I'm typing, but man it's really noisy, and that crowd !!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I can hear him, can't see.

Where are you? Bleury and Ste-Cath???

I'm at René and Sanguinet.

oh, and lol at the "checks" ;)

I can hear him, can't see.

Where are you? Bleury and Ste-Cath???

I'm at René and Sanguinet.

oh, and lol at the "checks" ;)

I live on Sherbrooke and Jeanne Mance

In that big ugly white building they call " Le Colisee "

I remember when most of this board was gung-ho about some kid named Josef Balej, thinking he was the next offensive star. We traded him for Kovy and where is Balej now? At this point, I think I'll put more stock in what Gainey and Timmins think about McDonogh over a bunch of board posters. ;)

Here are the facts, as I see them:

1. Montreal desperately needed a centre, they went out and filled it with a hugely talented guy that'll fill that role for the visible future - and he's a massive upgrade over anything we currently had.

2. Montreal lost a potential headache in Higgins whose play had deteriorated (and many have agreed that he probably wouldn't hit that scoring potential some thought he might have) and who was going to command a much larger salary when he hit UFA next season.

3. Montreal sent McD who is very highly rated by members of this board and, apparently, by the Rags. Neither party has seen McD as much as have Gainey and Timmins, and therefore don't really know the upside the player has. Of course, the key is "potential." He won't be helping Montreal hit the playoffs this season.

4. Montreal just got a centre whose point production is right in line with that of Lecavalier - like it or not. Not only that, but he's put up those numbers without a Hart candidate St.Louis on his wing (Elias is good, but not that good).

5. (and perhaps most critical) Everyone seems to think that the Rags were up against the wall, and yes, to a degree they were. But the reality that EVERYONE and their dog is overlooking is that Montreal was in a FAR WORSE predicament. Who was going to be the number one centre here? Number two? We still don't have a number two, but at least we have a legit number one now. The entire league knew Montreal was up against it, knew that the likelihood of elite UFA's coming to Montreal was very slim, and knew that Gainey ABSOLUTELY HAD to do something. So, ask yourself this: whose back was more against the wall?

I'm not particularly happy with the trade, but the stark reality is that Montreal is better TODAY down the middle and that was the primary goal. Yes, we gave away a potential top-pairing defender, but how many around here were bitching about how we always seemed to be building towards the future? Well, stop bitching. Bob got you the present. It ALWAYS comes with the price.

also, another way to see it, as far as McDo + Higgins are considered...

-> McDo was the dealbreaker, Higgins, at this point (Komi leaving, play deteriorating, big contract demands, upcoming UFA status, Party like a rockstar, potential rotten apple?) was a throw in... this is pure speculation... lol... but that could be. :P

Unreal deal.

Yes, we have a distinctly 2nd-tier #1 ctr who does not defend and can't shoot or hit. But is better than any ctr on the roster. I'm not so down on losing Higgins, his character issues and taking Price out for late nights had evidently soured the brass. I had predicted that this was going to be a major factor with him down the line. I don't care so much about the Rags cap space, they always p*ss it away.

But THAT contract??? The worst contract in the league, hands-down. Hilarious when they signed him to it, now it is ours to languish under. And giving up McDonough? WTF? A bonus for Sather? Why why why didn't Bob try to swing something smaller, somehow Dubinsky for Plex plus others, then go after Havlat or even better the Sedins?

Whatever the rest of the summer brings, I can't see anyone in the league getting a flipped Gomez. I can also see Bob paying big fro Cammalleri now, banking on his health over Tanguay's.

Cammalleri-Gomez-Kovalev

A Kost-Koivu/Lang-Latendresse

Pacioretty-Lapierre-S Kost

Laraque-Metropolit-D'Agostini

I can only think that Martin wanted Gomez to fit into his new system, or that maybe Gomez is an exceptional character guy. Maybe they will swing a deal including Plex for a d-man. But shocking that bob would take that contract on for that player. I am 100% sure that statistically, over his whole career, Gomez is the worst 7-million dollar man in the league. Would the Sedins be much more expensive than 7-mil? Unless Bob flips Gomez for a d-man and goes and signs the twins after all...

Scott Gomez ffs. Jesus wept.

I live on Sherbrooke and Jeanne Mance

In that big ugly white building they call " Le Colisee "

oh, I'm at Le Boulevard. lol

apparently, some resident of each of our buildings trade places from time to time... I heard some guys saying "when I was at le Colisee" and some other saying they were going to the le Colisee...

maybe they just need their building to have a name. :)

Your argument would only hold water, Colin, if Gomez were a sure-fire top line center, which he isn't. He is only marginally better than Koivu at the same age. Koivu has a career average of .81 ppg, while Gomez is .82 ppg. Hardly much of an improvement over what we've had at center for the last 10 years.

oh, I'm at Le Boulevard. lol

apparently, some resident of each of our buildings trade places from time to time... I heard some guys saying "when I was at le Colisee" and some other saying they were going to the le Colisee...

maybe they just need their building to have a name. :)

Is Le BOulevard owned by Miromont ?

The worst. Look at the players and what they bring. Gomez is a second-line ctr.

How can Bob make this work??? Flip him, go after the Sedins...does Anchorage have a team yet? They might bite.

Komi officially going to try out free agency, as per TSN.

Now Heatley has rejected the Oil trade, as per TSN. Wants to be traded, but wait, but, er...knob.

Your argument would only hold water, Colin, if Gomez were a sure-fire top line centre, which he isn't. He is only marginally better than Koivu at the same age. Koivu has a career average of .81 ppg, while Gomez is .82 ppg. Hardly much of an improvement over what we've had at centre for the last 10 years.

so you agree then that it will be a huge improvement for the next 5 years.

I do believe in 12 hours that Vinny's contract in Tampa will be the worst.

nah dipietro is the worst contract in the league hands down.

you guys should really quit trying to pretend that Gomez can't play hockey cause he can. I think he might be a very nice addition.

And yes Heatly is a knob.

Your argument would only hold water, Colin, if Gomez were a sure-fire top line centre, which he isn't. He is only marginally better than Koivu at the same age. Koivu has a career average of .81 ppg, while Gomez is .82 ppg. Hardly much of an improvement over what we've had at centre for the last 10 years.

Yep, so true. Just like the Habs hadnt had that much size down the middle in years when Bob traded for Lang, who is something like 1/2 inch taller and 3 lbs heavier than Bonk. :lol:

I highly doubt Gomez is a #1 C, he's more like a really good #2. Gomez stats arent really that far off of Langs but he makes aboot twice what Lang made, and for a crazy long time. Sadly I'm not even sure if I would say that Gomez is an upgrade on the franchise Ribs.

Gomez is so over paid I cant see Bob being able to flip him, and I hope Bob is smart enough to know that so I'm highly confused by this move. Is Plex next and Bob gets another C? Gomez is definitely a big upgrade for Plex.

Gomez can play - as a 2nd-line ctr is best. At his money he is a colossal rip-off. Well, who knows, maybe it will all come to life for him here. Good luck to you, Scott.

Surely Bob has more up his sleeve. Maybe he's done stockpiling youth, and is unleashing it all now. A d-man, another ctr (?), another high-powered winger, a vet goalie...

Wait a minute, you guys think Gomez is a 2nd line centre? Then what the hell do you guys think Koivu and Pleks are? 4th liners.

Gomez wouldn't be my first choice but here are some things in his favor. Younger, Bigger then Koivu, better skater, produces more then Koivu, has won more cups then Koivu. Actually waived his no trade clause to become a habs, no other players seem to want to be here. But Gomez sucks? I don't get that one.

Cons: Contract, Gomez needs a finisher, the habs don't have one.

I didn't get any info on the 2 minor leaguers they got, i'll check the other boards on that one.

BG and myself clearly want to change the culture and the roster, this is the first step. I have a feeling at least 2 more signings and a trade are to come.

So what you want, but 1 great year in 15 sucks, plain and simple, it is an era of under achiving and BG is changing it.

Let the man play 1 game before you bash him

Wait a minute, you guys think Gomez is a 2nd line centre? Then what the hell do you guys think Koivu and Pleks are? 4th liners.

Gomez wouldn't be my first choice but here are some things in his favor. Younger, Bigger then Koivu, better skater, produces more then Koivu, has won more cups then Koivu. Actually waived his no trade clause to become a habs, no other players seem to want to be here. But Gomez sucks? I don't get that one.

Cons: Contract, Gomez needs a finisher, the habs don't have one.

I didn't get any info on the 2 minor leaguers they got, i'll check the other boards on that one.

BG and myself clearly want to change the culture and the roster, this is the first step. I have a feeling at least 2 more signings and a trade are to come.

So what you want, but 1 great year in 15 sucks, plain and simple, it is an era of under achiving and BG is changing it.

Let the man play 1 game before you bash him

Not quite. Montreal wasn't on the list of 6(?) teams he wouldn't play for.

But I agree about giving hima chance before condemning him. Gainey will hopefully add some more pieces to improve our situation.