Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so just going over some numbers and looking at available players and I think it is totally possible that we field a team of...

Tanguay - Gomez - Havlat/Gionta

A.Kost - Pleks - Kovalev

S.Kost - Lang - Latendresse

Laraque - Lapierre - Stewart

Markov - Beauchemin

Hamrlik - Liles

Gorges - Schenider/Obyrne

Or something vary similar... depending on trades and whatnot Bob can pull off. But the above team looks WAY better than last years group. Use Halak and some other players signed in trades and we could be a BEAST!

Edited by TheDriveFor25

Thanks for the article.

20 million sounds like a lot but we need a #1 or 2 dman to replace Komisarek and a serious winger to play with Gomez. We could "get by" with what we have but we really could use a second line centre as well.

I see

4 million to Kovalev on a one-year deal & (dreaming)

4.5 million to Gionta on a multi-year deal

4.5 million to Beauchemin on a multi-year deal

and then we have two remaining roster spots for rookies or cheap players like Kostopoulos to fill.

Our cap situation is decent.

I agree the big story here is not the trade. Its losing a player like Komisarek on a small meek team. Teams are dying for this type of player. We are going to rue the day. BAD BAD BAD move!

...or maybe 4.75 million for KOMISAREK!!!!

Agreed. EVERYONE knew that the Rangers were desperate to shed salary. Bob could have waited and gotten Gomez for Higgins and Valetenko and janek...this deal reeks of desperation from Bob.

I've been patient with Bob. I believed in him for the first five years, but he's been with the organization for 6 years now, and I have to say i'm somewhat disappointed. With the announcement that komisarek will test free agency (and hearing that Boston IS REALLY interested in him) and the fact that he is most likely already gone from Montreal, i will definitely lose it. We aren't willing to overpay 500,000 or maybe 750,000$ per year for a guy who grew up in our organization, who over the past 5 years is 2nd in ALL THE NHL for bodychecks and is also in the top five for blocked shots, for a guy who has character and a definate candidate for the captaincy...yet we are willing to acquire a guy who'll be earning 7.5 million$ over the next five years. that's about 2 million$ more per year than what he's actually worth.

I will pray tonight. Pray that bob pulls a rabbit out of his hat and manages to Keep Komisarek in Montreal...cause if he ends up with the Bruins, I will want Bob FIRED ON THE SPOT.

I will also pray that maybe Bob isn't finished and he will turn around and make another trade to complement this one. Until then I will try to be patient, but right now, i don't like this deal...hopefully, I'll have a good reason to change my mind over the next 48 hours!

I've been browsing different blogs and Rangers forums, and they are all like:

" I don't know how in the world we robbed Montreal, but we did it "

This is so true, we were sold that Higgins was a future star and leader of the team.

It also pissed me off that 15 months ago I was on board with Gainey telling Atlanta to shove it when they wanted

Higgins. Gainey had made it clear that he was part of the future of the Canadiens.

So in a season where the Habs were legit Cup final contenders he could have dealt Higgins, McDonagh and a 4th liner

and Valentenko for a playoff run with Hossa, but the price was too steep then.

Now here we are today and Higgins, McDonagh and Valentenko are gone for $7.5M of Scott Gomez for the next 5 years.

I would rather have taken the Stanley Cup shot with Hossa.

This is probably the crux of the disappointment of the majority. We drank the Kool-Aid.

here I disagree.

I prefer 5 years of Gomez over Hossa.

and given our team make up, I prefer Gomez over Hossa.

We needed someone to "feed" Hossa in the first place.

It's really sad to see a guy like A. Kost only getting 40 pts because we've got no center good enough. Watch him explode (wishful thinking)

here I disagree.

I prefer 5 years of Gomez over Hossa.

and given our team make up, I prefer Gomez over Hossa.

We needed someone to "feed" Hossa in the first place.

It's really sad to see a guy like A. Kost only getting 40 pts because we've got no centre good enough. Watch him explode (wishful thinking)

Would you have disagreed if the Habs made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2008?

Would you have disagreed if the Habs made the Stanley Cup Finals in 2008?

Why would they have?

Were we a hossa away from beating Philly?

we were a "Team identity" away from beating them.

Hossa alone couldn't have made it.

And we'd wake up today with no hossa on our team and with no Higgins or McDo to give up for a center like Gomez.

Boone in the Gazette's take:

I dunno, folks.

Is there another deal to come.

Komisarek is out of here, to the Rangers, New Jersey or maybe – gulp! – Boston.

So who's the next physical defenceman in the pipeline?

David Fischer?

Please.

McDonagh is all of 20. He was considered a blue-chip draft prospect.

So Trevor Timmins andhis staff work their butts off to feed fodder into the cannon of Trader Bob?

I'm not happy.

the trade is brutal :puke:

:clap: in gainey we trust.. NOT

scott gomez 7 million + cap hit :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :wall:

Why would they have?

Were we a hossa away from beating Philly?

we were a "Team identity" away from beating them.

Hossa alone couldn't have made it.

And we'd wake up today with no hossa on our team and with no Higgins or McDo to give up for a centre like Gomez.

We will never know, but I don't think they would have had no chance

Bob makes a deal, fill a need and fills it well, and people are calling for his head? We were fairly deep in D prospects, and we are fairly weak in legitimate C prospects. Getting Gomez just filled the 1st line C role for 5 seasons.

I see too many trade proposals on hockey boards that involve trading crap for gold, and the few trade proposals that do actually make sense (to both teams, not "ours") are usually followed up by numerous posts of, "Deal looks good, but not with our star prospect in there."

Grow a backbone, people. This was the cost for a #1 centerman, and it was the deal that Bob needed to make.

Was everyone banking on Unrestricted Free Agency to fill that void? Guys, if they won't sign here (and more often than not they won't) then you gotta bring them in some other way.

Edited by Trizzak

hahaha. Oh the joys of always drafting BPA. :P

Not sure why so many are so mad, Bob only did what drafting BPA does for a team. i.e. draft guys you dont need to trade for somebody you do actually need but get fleeced in the trade. Great plan isnt it? :lol:

Anybody else now agree with me that BPA is useless? Still no?

I dont like this trade 1 bit, but I'm hoping Bob picked up Gomez to reach the cap minimum after all the Habs UFAs walk. ^_^

This is so true, we were sold that Higgins was a future star and leader of the team.

It also pissed me off that 15 months ago I was on board with Gainey telling Atlanta to shove it when they wanted

Higgins. Gainey had made it clear that he was part of the future of the Canadiens.

So in a season where the Habs were legit Cup final contenders he could have dealt Higgins, McDonagh and a 4th liner

and Valentenko for a playoff run with Hossa, but the price was too steep then.

Now here we are today and Higgins, McDonagh and Valentenko are gone for $7.5M of Scott Gomez for the next 5 years.

I would rather have taken the Stanley Cup shot with Hossa.

This is probably the crux of the disappointment of the majority. We drank the Kool-Aid.

Well, Wamsley, I'm a little surprised to hear you say this. Hossa would have been a rental and wouldn't have made a lick of difference because Price wasn't stopping a beachball against the Flyers. Gomez addresses a long-term need and, while overpaid, plugs the most gaping hole in the entire organization. I'd rather Bob deal for players that address core needs, than throw 'em away for temporary mercenaries and be left with nothing.

WTF!

I've been a Gainey supporter - despite his stupidity of letting half of the team walk for nothing - not to add previous defencemen lost for nothing. But now gainey just got fleeced by one of the dumbest gm's in the league. E eryone knew sather was trying to dump salary, and gainey gives up the top d prospect on the system in addition to Higgens????? Not to mention that since Higgens and Komi are buddies. This deal essentially is for higgens, komi and mcDonough for gomez and his incredibly stupid salary. I was against the lecavalier move because of the term of his contract, but even that is way better then gomez.

I really believe Gainey has lost his mind. He is just as bad as sather he has grossly overpaid for hamrlik and Laraque and now picks up an overpaid mistake by sather.

i dont think this move was as bad as most guys think........gomez well fit into the new game plan for next year..we need a change and this is part of it...his deal is only for 5 more years and his only 29...in the new nhl where ever star wants 10-15 years deal, this is a bit better...he got 2 cup rings and was a big part of those teams...

i really believe habs fan well never be happy, they cry when we dont make moves, they cry when we do..for crying out lould lets stop of the i what vinny and support the guys we got...vinny never what to be here he had many chanse to sign with the habs and didnt, and t-bay wont trade him...what the f**k is bob suppose to do kidnap him lmfao..

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

What is the new game plan for next year?

Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck! Don't suck!

i'm glad the Habs didn't lose Higgins for nothing after next season(as they will Komi this season). not only do they gain a respectable 1st line C - but they have him for 5 years. the prospect cupboard is still in good shape (only losing McDo) and that means before Gomez contract is up, there will be some cheap young talent in the fold and therefore still cap room to either resign players or make more trades (assuming UFA-world is just simply never going to be habs-friendly again :( )

Edited by revvvrob

Well, Wamsley, I'm a little surprised to hear you say this. Hossa would have been a rental and wouldn't have made a lick of difference because Price wasn't stopping a beachball against the Flyers. Gomez addresses a long-term need and, while overpaid, plugs the most gaping hole in the entire organization. I'd rather Bob deal for players that address core needs, than throw 'em away for temporary mercenaries and be left with nothing.

I am not a big fan of $7.5M centers who are 29th in scoring, 37th in faceoffs etc.

This is a GAMBLE. You are not getting a proven commidity in Gomez and if you spend $7.5M I think

you should be able to know what you are getting guaranteed.

Does it give the Habs a legit number one centre? Yes, but how far does this move them forward

towards their final goal? If they cannot land a legit UFA and Tanguay and Koivu walk what was the

benefit of pulling this move right now?

So that they can be average next season? I would have waited on the changing landscape instead of

rolling the dice on a $7.5M player that could put up 60 pts.

As for Hossa, Gainey sold the future to us. He dealt Huet to keep Price, he refused to part with a CORE guy in Higgins

and here we are just over a year later and Higgins AND McDonagh are gone on a risky trade.

This is risky. Gomez is now the ONLY player signed past 2011. Welcome to the new FACE of the franchise.

Scott Gomez and his $7.5M salary. I am so excited.

WIth all that being said, Gainey has more work to do and I will not judge this move fully until he does.

Until then, it wreaks of desperation.

Edited by Wamsley01

So Trevor Timmins andhis staff work their butts off to feed fodder into the cannon of Trader Bob?

That is their job...

They draft the best assets they feel they can. It's Bob's choice on what to do with them. You can't honestly consider that a problem. I'm sure Timmins doesn't think it is.

Like a number of the other posters on here I feel quite sick with this deal. We gave up too much even if its really only McDonagh that we care about.

The fact of the matter is that their is no elite scorer on this Montreal Canadiens team, who can take advantage of what Scott Gomez does best.....pass.

So, unless Gaborik, Hossa, Heatley or Havlat somehow end up in Montreal in the next few days, and Tanguay and Kovalev come back, this trade does nothing to help this club now, and cripples them in the future with the loss of McDonagh

WIth all that being said, Gainey has more work to do and I will not judge this move fully until he does.

Until then, it wreaks of desperation.

Pretty much my views too. Desperation is the consensus.

On paper, we overpaid a lot just to get Gomez. If only we could at least have got something better than Pyatt as thrown-ins.

What starts to annoy me with Bob is the way he wastes assets. Higgins AND McDonagh AND Valentenko AND Janik (Begin) for Gomez and a couple of career minor-leaguers. Sorry to say, but it's a Houlesque trade.

That is their job...

They draft the best assets they feel they can. It's Bob's choice on what to do with them. You can't honestly consider that a problem. I'm sure Timmins doesn't think it is.

I knew Timmins when he was working for the Sens he was a gofor nothing more. Wore weightlifter pants and was in charge of making sure the players had accomadations, cars etc.