Habs UFA Thread

geez newf I am of the opinion that no matter who Bob signs you ain't gonna like it. and we haven't lost Komi yet.

no if i like it i'll say.. just my opinion.. and everyone can have one of those..

i like the gomez trade but not for 7 million a year .. that is brutal.. no other team would have taken gomez for that... shows how desperate montreal is to sign/trade for anyone at all who is decent and willing to play in montreal.

sissy spacek.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his last contract with buffalo was 3 years 10 mill so he got a small increase. How old is neids? how old is pronger? come on guys 35 ain't that bad. brisebois and schnides are like 100. :lol:

How is signing Bufalo's best defenseman for a very modest increase an Ouch? I think this is a good signing. I will hold back all judgement until I see what the 09/10 looks like. Then I will judge. Even then I may be wrong. Every person on thjis forum hated the Hammer signing. 5 months later, he was a rock, and our most reliable d man. This year, not so much. Still looks better than Dandy and Booboo at the same price.

Edited by BCHabnut

his last contract with buffalo was 3 years 10 mill so he got a small increase. How old is neids? how old is pronger? come on guys 35 ain't that bad. brisebois and schnides are like 100. :lol:

Why are you putting Neids and pronger in the same sentence with Spacek ?? DO you really believe that they compare ??

not that he's a bad player but come on !!

Spacek signing proves that Gainey failed with Komisarek, a guy that should've been taken care of a year ago.

no if i like it i'll say.. just my opinion.. and everyone can have one of those..

i like the gomez trade but not for 7 million a year .. that is brutal.. no other team would have taken gomez for that... shows how desperate montreal is to sign/trade for anyone at all who is decent and willing to play in montreal.

sissy spacek.

have you even looked at his stats? he is an improvement over what we have. Go to the buffalo site the link is right there. then tell me what it is you don't like cause so far you ain't done nothing but criticize.

Why are you putting Neids and pronger in the same sentence with Spacek ?? DO you really believe that they compare ??

not that he's a bad player but come on !!

Spacek signing proves that Gainey failed with Komisarek, a guy that should've been taken care of a year ago.

I was talking about age. You should really try to keep up with this fast pace. he is 35 they are all older got it?

and you have never answered me about how you KNOW he could have been signed last year last fall whenever.

Edited by habs rule

Ya, no clue why some are going ape over this signing. Its actually a fairly decent pickup IMO.

Sure he's 35 now, and will be 38 when the contract is up, but last year he put up career high in Assists.

Spacek was Buff best defenseman last season. He led their dmen in goals (8), assists (37) and points (45). He was tops in shots on goal with 130 (7th on team), he led the entire team with 22:17 of ice time per game and his 3:41 average power play ice time was more than any other defenseman.

As good as Spacek played at even strength he was even better on the PP. His stat line was almost identical between 5-on-5 and the power play. At even strength he scored four goals, 19 assists for a total of 23 points. On the power play he scored four goals and had 18 assists for 22 points.

Spacek was also second on the team with a total of 126 blocked shots.

Spacek sounds like he's almost a perfect fit because he does address seveal key Habs needs. He's a bit of Komi (blocks shots), a bit of Striet (PP assists), dmen who had almost 50 pts on a team that didnt make the playoffs, not to shabby. What I like about this signing the most is that its around the kind of money Komi deserves, and Spacek can do a lot more than just block shots. Does Spacek throw punches like a girl? If not its another reason how he's an upgrade on Komi. :lol:

have you even looked at his stats? he is an improvement over what we have. Go to the buffalo site the link is right there. then tell me what it is you don't like cause so far you ain't done nothing but criticize.

I was talking about age. You should really try to keep up with this fast pace. he is 35 they are all older got it?

and you have never answered me about how you KNOW he could have been signed last year last fall whenever.

i do not see the enjoyment of criticism.

its the middle of summer, why would you form an opinion on your favourite team and players even before the game has been played?

whatever///

cool trades, excited for next season :lol:

and thank you awesome people that post more uplifting words ;)

Maybe I'm just a Gainey diehard...I have taken the view that the Gomez deal is at least worth a shot, instead of condemning it as obvious disaster like most of you...but gee whiz, this Spacek guy got 45 points last season. And I know a Columbus fan who used to just LOVE Spacek when he was with them for his solid all-around play and determination. I dunno, this seems like a useful, relatively inexpensive pickup - exactly the sort of value-for-the-dollar signing you want.

I think what's really going on here is expectations. Everyone expected a Lecavalier. Instead they get a Gomez. Everyone expected a Komisarek and/or Beauchemin. Instead - so far- they get a Spacek. The result is a narrative of failure being spun around the Habs' UFA efforts (the media *always* has to have such narratives, and they've settled on 'Habs bomb out', admittedly a recurring motif at this time of year, but it's worse this time because expectations were inflated). I'm pretty sure if Burke had signed Spacek, Dregher wouldn't be saying 'ouch.'

If Spacek replaces Komisarek, that's bad. If he replaces Gorges as 4th D-man, that's excellent. Much will depend on how it goes down over the remaining few hours and days - or upon subsequent trades. But as an addition to our D, this seems like a darned solid move. Unlike Gomez, it's typical Gainey.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Nice pairing for Markov. I think he is a RD. Great size. I'm ok with it. It shouldn't be too much cash either. Good stay at home D man.

I guess your looking at

Markov Gill

Weber Hamrlik

Gorges Spacek

Looks better then last years bunch that's for sure.

Nice pairing for Markov. I think he is a RD. Great size. I'm ok with it. It shouldn't be too much cash either. Good stay at home D man.

I guess your looking at

Markov Gill

Weber Hamrlik

Gorges Spacek

Looks better then last years bunch that's for sure.

Not a bad acquisition. He will fill in for Komisarek.

Kyle McLaren killed Zednik not Hal Gill. And We signed a tough stay at home Dman who just won the cup for 2.25 a year for 2 years. Not Bad in my opinion... Im not sure what Pierre McGuires deal is, what if Beauchemin (as much as I wanted him) didnt want to play here?

:hlogo:

I hate Gainey.

Hate is a strong word, but I'm applying it liberally now.

Gill is slow and won't fight as much as we like. And at almost $3m, that's horrendous.

I feel sorry for Koivu. That guy deserved so much more.

He's sooooooooooo slow....

But great on the PK and a big body presence...

Unfortunately, he's usually the result for the PK skating out there.