Habs UFA Thread

I hate this guy. He must apologize for killing zednik. then I may forgive him

Shouldn't be hard considering it was McLaren who took him out.

I thought Gill played really well in the Finals for the Pens, both signings today have been solid. Rather than pay Komisarek 5 and a depth guy 1, 2 vets come in for the same combined price. Spacek helps the PP, Gill becomes the physical shutdown guy the team loses in Komisarek.

Cap implications - 3 roster spots left to fill, around 13-14 million in theory that could be spent. (Not all multi-year deals though...)

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you even looked at his stats? he is an improvement over what we have. Go to the buffalo site the link is right there. then tell me what it is you don't like cause so far you ain't done nothing but criticize.

I was talking about age. You should really try to keep up with this fast pace. he is 35 they are all older got it?

and you have never answered me about how you KNOW he could have been signed last year last fall whenever.

we all agree that komi is an above average player,right ?? even a fuure captain.

as soon as players are starting their last contract year, you can start talking contract extension. as per bob policy, he doesnt talk contract until the end on the year.

with guys like bouillon or dandy its ok but in the case of a valuable, young player you try to show interest asap. now if the player doesnt want to stay that another story. but at least you know it and you try to pick assets for him at trade deadline.

perhaps you should take a beer and relax cause youre really agressive when someone disagrees with your opinion.

Well...is Spacek + Gill an improvement on Mike Komisarek? That's the question here. Looks like Bob went with increased depth over Big Name. And you know, he just might be onto something. Time will tell, but I think these moves are solid.

i dont like gill mostly because he was with boston and t.o, so for me not liking the habs playing against him..he got to be good ...righ...

wrong guy.. kyle mclaren was the guy who elbowed zednik

but hey they should have signed kyle over hal

:puke:

none of the hockey people like the deals the habs have made... habs fans can try and pick out positives but you gotta calla spade a spade.. gainey is f'n up with these shitty deals... o'byrne has more upside than hal gill...

khabibulin great signing by oilers.. what a steal.

I thought Gill played really well in the Finals for the Pens, both signings today have been solid. Rather than pay Komisarek 5 and a depth guy 1, 2 vets come in for the same combined price. Spacek helps the PP, Gill becomes the physical shutdown guy the team loses in Komisarek.

Cap implications - 3 roster spots left to fill, around 13-14 million in theory that could be spent. (Not all multi-year deals though...)

sorry but when I googled it came up with gill http://fastestgame.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/devastation/ But my memory says yeah maybe it was mcclaren.

And hey let's see chara push him around I like him better already.

I second that emotion. The thing is, in a cap system, this 'diversification' approach offers a lot more flexibility than sinking Markov dollars into a long-term deal on Komisarek. It's almost like he's compensating for the cap implications of the Gomez deal by buying himself a cheap, useful all-around D corps here. Interesting, and rather reassuring.

we all agree that komi is an above average player,right ?? even a fuure captain.

as soon as players are starting their last contract year, you can start talking contract extension. as per bob policy, he doesnt talk contract until the end on the year.

with guys like bouillon or dandy its ok but in the case of a valuable, young player you try to show interest asap. now if the player doesnt want to stay that another story. but at least you know it and you try to pick assets for him at trade deadline.

perhaps you should take a beer and relax cause youre really agressive when someone disagrees with your opinion.

Agreed, it never should have come to this. Nonetheless I like Bob's moves today and even suspect they might make for a more balanced, all-around defence corps. We'll see.

Another decent signing that people are knocking. Most from fans of teams that finished behind us last year!

Markov - Beauch

Spacek - Hammer

Gorges - Gill

FAR better than what we had last year!

Sign Beauch, Kovalev, and a Gionta type and we're done! Then trade Halak and get a vet goalie to backup Price. See you in October!!!

:clap:

of course your kidding !!

not a bad move by Gainey. he's big tall, defensive. he may not be as fast but we have enough mobility.

I'm sure he could become a big brother to the likes of obynre subban and weber!!

markov-spacek

harmlik-gorges

gill-obyrne

weber

not bad

Good job BOB !!!

wrong guy.. kyle mclaren was the guy who elbowed zednik

but hey they should have signed kyle over hal

:puke:

none of the hockey people like the deals the habs have made... habs fans can try and pick out positives but you gotta calla spade a spade.. gainey is f'n up with these shitty deals... o'byrne has more upside than hal gill...

khabibulin great signing by oilers.. what a steal.

and since newf don't like it I am now saying this is a great signing. As to khabibulin history repeats itself 3 years of shit play followed by 1 good year to get a new contract. His agent should get 20% at least. Edmonton now still have no #1 goalie, at least not till contract time.

Sure Gill isnt a super star, but he's a good solid stay at home journeyman dman, with good size and toughness, and for the price is a great addition.

The way I see it: exactly the same as dlbalr

Why overpay 1 dman (Komi) who is 1 dimensional when you can sign 2 dmen for the same price who can both do multiple things?

Komi is so over rated its not funny. Spacek can block shots, not as many as Komi but for the money its a way better deal, and Spacek can be a PP QB, puts up a lot of A's. Gill has size, is stay at home dman, and doesnt throw punches like a girl. For the same money Komi wanted, its a good trade off. Now consider both are probably signed for a lot less than what Komi wants, its a great trade off.

I can't believe soo many of you are happy with this deal. I clearly remember many of us making fun at how slow Gill was when he was with Toronto. All of a sudden he's s solid d-man?? :rolleyes:

This deal is shit and i'm really losing patience with Bob! I'm really not impressed with his signings so far(all right, spacek is OK, but nothing too exciting)!

Sure Gill isnt a super star, but he's a good solid stay at home journeyman dman, with good size and toughness, and for the price is a great addition.

The way I see it: exactly the same as dlbalr

Why overpay 1 dman (Komi) who is 1 dimensional when you can sign 2 dmen for the same price who can both do multiple things?

Komi is so over rated its not funny. Spacek can block shots, not as many as Komi but for the money its a way better deal, and Spacek can be a PP QB, puts up a lot of A's. Gill has size, is stay at home dman, and doesnt throw punches like a girl. For the same money Komi wanted, its a good trade off. Now consider both are probably signed for a lot less than what Komi wants, its a great trade off.

true that, hadn't realised it. :clap:

Another decent signing that people are knocking. Most from fans of teams that finished behind us last year!

Markov - Beauch

Spacek - Hammer

Gorges - Gill

Sign Beauch, Kovalev, and a Gionta type and we're done! Then trade Halak and get a vet goalie to backup Price. See you in October!!!

Forget Beauchemin. Our D is set for next year. The only other D move I could see would be re-signing one of our past guys (like Schneider or Brisebois).

Suppose 4.4M goes out to Kovy. We're left with 8M to spend on two forwards. Enough for Havlat, a rookie and a bit of extra cap space.

Markov - Beauch

Spacek - Hammer

Gorges - Gill

I read yer post at hockeybuzz. We still dont have Beauchemin. And where is the fans from teams that finished behind us? Havent seen any fans from other teams here.

Edited by Dalhabs

The most important thing about Spacek is not that he was Buffalo's best PP d-man but that he was Buffalo's #1 defenseman! He can log Komi's 22 minutes a night and take a lot of pressure off Markov.

Gill is nothing special but he makes for a decent bottom pairing defenseman because of his toughness, experience and ability to play on the PK. Together, our D is looking very reliable. And I can't think of a better word to sum up your D.