Habs UFA Thread

you should maybe talk to his agent cause in case you haven't heard there are always 2 sides in a negotiation you don't know what bob did or what they wanted.

you should maybe talk to his agent cause in case you haven't heard there are always 2 sides in a negotiation you don't know what bob did or what they wanted.

Yes there are, but bob didn't even try!

You can kiss Tanguay and Kovalev good-Bye.

Camm 5-9, Gionta 5-9... is small the new big?

He's 5'7" tall!

Edited by Habsfan

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gionta is a habs 5 years 25 million$

:D

Here's the winger I wanted.

It also means that Gainey chose to eject the ENTIRE old leadership core: Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Higgins, Tanguay, Brisebois et al.

He chose to replace them with UFA - always a dangerous strategy. But he refrained from taking on any cap killers (apart from the trade for Gomez).

Overall, I'm extremely excited. But I'm always excited when the Habs get new players.

By the way, the Gomez trade brought Cammalleri and Gionta to Montreal. Factor that into your evaluation of the trade.

I could care less if they are better next season. My concern is how they will look when the cap declines

and they need to pay Price $4-5M, and if anybody breaks out next season what is their future?

Where is the money going to come from? Where is the money going to come from to fill holes next summer?

This is very aggressive with the possibility of a declining cap figure.

If the cap does drop, there will be a lot of teams in trouble, given the big and long-term UFA signings these days. If the cap were to drop by, say, $5M there might be serious downward pressure on UFA salaries (though a few team would initially still be in a position to do big signings).

5M for Gionta?

Yup! He has one 48 goal season(3 years ago) and he has averaged 22 goals per year these past 3 seasons. I really hope that with Gomez he will find his sniper hands of 3 years ago!

Bob Gainey Press conference at 9PM...

Am I the only one that has this "leftovers" taste in my mouth.

Not Cammalleri, but yes for the others!

Holy crap, is all I can say about what Bob has done today. He'll basically be introducing a new team at the press conference. I wonder if the complete gutting of the team has Carbo smiling somewhere...

Not according to Bobby Mac and P. McGuire! You might not like these guys, but they are the most knowledgeable guys in hockey today!

so they are saying that Koivu > Gomez

and Higgins > Camm

?

:lol:

I wonder if the complete gutting of the team has Carbo smiling somewhere...

Most probably!

and Higgins > Camm

?

I don't know where you heard that, but I didn't hear them say anything like that!

Most probably!

a coach is just as big a part of the team as any player, he was just the first to fall

Edited by KEEP26

Yup! He has one 48 goal season(3 years ago) and he has averaged 22 goals per year these past 3 seasons. I really hope that with Gomez he will find his sniper hands of 3 years ago!

Cammalleri mentionned in his post-signing interview that he was seduced by what "They (the Habs) wanted to do with the team"...

What is it that they want to do with the team? Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta. All small speedy guys who also happen to be very feisty.

I hope the common link here is feistiness & speed; that it's the horses Martin wants. I mentionned how the Panters under Martin were a very annoying team to play against because they kept coming at you all game long. If this is the bigger picture, then I might buy all the signings.

BUT...

It would also means that maybe some of our current guys dont fit in anymore. Plekanec, the Kostitsyns, D'Agostini: not the text-book definition of feistiness.

Cammalleri mentionned in his post-signing interview that he was seduced by what "They (the Habs) wanted to do with the team"...

What is it that they want to do with the team? Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta. All small speedy guys who also happen to be very feisty.

I hope the common link here is feistiness & speed; that it's the horses Martin wants. I mentionned how the Panters under Martin were a very annoying team to play against because they kept coming at you all game long. If this is the bigger picture, then I might buy all the signings.

BUT...

It would also means that maybe some of our current guys dont fit in anymore. Plekanec, the Kostitsyns, D'Agostini: not the text-book definition of feistiness.

Plekanec and the Kostitsyns fit into that perfectly. Fast and offensive-minded players. The Kostitsyns are two of the feistiest players on the team and Martin cited Plekanec as a player he was excited to work with. We seem to be heading back toward the old Buffalo Sabres model.

for crying out loud Ribs was a punk in montreal, ok he grew up a little in dallas. He was going nowhere here and no one else wanted him at that time. We needed a defenceman due to injuries more than we need a punk. Bob would have taken less than NiNima to get rid of him. Valentenko bailed on this team after giving them some song and dance so they would pay his ticket to Russia and then he ######s the team by signing with the khl. oh Yeah lets keep him. So you got higgins and Mcdo for Gomez. I hate losing Mcdo but he is at least 3 years away from making this team. Gomez is better than higgins.That makes it a good deal. Do I hate the Cap hit Yes but tell me who he was supposed to sign ?Where are all these 6'3 in 240 lbs centers that we can sign for a song. Please lets go get 5 of them. This is real life and decisions have to be made if you are going to change this team Bob had the balls to do it. You don't. Thank the gods for Bob.

bob, is that you?

:unsure:

If the cap does drop, there will be a lot of teams in trouble, given the big and long-term UFA signings these days. If the cap were to drop by, say, $5M there might be serious downward pressure on UFA salaries (though a few team would initially still be in a position to do big signings).

Wouldn't you want to be sitting there with a ton of cap space?

I don't know where you heard that, but I didn't hear them say anything like that!

I said that Gomez and Camm were improvment over the guys they are replacing, i.e. Higgins and Koivu. you replied that Bobby and Pete didn't agree with that statement.