Habs UFA Thread

I am not really all that pleased wth how things turn out, most likely because I was expecting something totally different then what transpired today

However I find something very interesting. All the guys that Bob Gainey signed today are playoff veterans. Guys who know how to win, or have won, in the playoffs at some point in there career.

Gomez Championships with the Devils

Gionta Championships with the Devils

Gill Cup runs with the Pens

Cammelari playoffs the last few years with Calgary

Spacek was with Buffalo on their playoff runs a few years ago, and played for one of the best coaches in the league since the lockout.

Interesting

Good point. At least there seems to be a directing line somewhere

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let's play with our new toys.

Find nicknames for players and lines!

Spacek is Spaceman, definitely.

Gill... find something else than pylon! Le Gros Gill, something like that.

Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta. Anything but "Cammy", "Gommy" or "Gigy"

If we have a Cammalleri - GOmez - Gionta line, it's gonna be " Timbits Hockey Club "

according to sportsnet. Dr. Bob has another 4mil to spend under the cap on a 7th D-man. Dr. Bob is not done yet! The surgery continues...

I like

Spaceman,

Gills,

Gommy,

Giggy,

Cammy

Go Habs Go! - goodbye wish to all the x-habs! :clap: :ghg:

i'm still expecting the Habs to trade either Price or Halak

For Cammalleri I was thinking :

- Cam

- Mall

For Scott Gomez : Gum

For Brian Gionta : well, nothing works with Brian Gionta; there is no hope

so i guess this means no kovi or beauchenin??? at the end of the day what did bob really acomplish. more small forwards to try to go up against the beefed up leafs and bruins.bgl had better come out of training camp in top shape. still waiting for that big centre from outer space.does gainey REALLY have a clue. nice players, hopefully more offense, but gill and spacek???very, very puzzling.

- Cam

- Mall

What about G-ON Joe ??? lol

What about G-ON Joe ??? lol

Not bad; and spot on, since the movie is released soon

And since he is part Italian and his 1st name starts with a B, how about: " The Italian GioB " ?

There is hope !!!!! :clap:

If he had bothered speaking a little more French, more people would bother missing him a little.

you dont mean that do you? you're one of the smarter posters here, and you focus on this choice of language rather than hockey skill, heart, charity work, etc?

His initals are the same as Gainey, BG will be too confusing. BeeGee is better! :D At 5'7", he gotta know how to staying alive!

Nice :clap:

Beauchemin linked to Pitt and L.A :hockey:

Edited by rafikz

- Cam

- Mall

and finish it off with a:

- Larry (or Leri, but that just looks odd)

you dont mean that do you? you're one of the smarter posters here, and you focus on this choice of language rather than hockey skill, heart, charity work, etc?

Mean it?

It's not a personnal opinion, it's a societal observation.

Language is a real barrier for lot of fans, especially the older generations, who will have never heard Koivu talk to them in a language they can understand. They dont hate him, some might see it as a lack of respect, but some might even like him regardless. In all cases, without that direct connection through communication, dont expect lots of emotion.

Especially given the fact that strictly hockey-wise, Koivu never reached star/elite status and never brought playoffs success either. And he didnt have that super opened sunshine personality like Rusty Staub, Gary Carter or PK Subban that just goes over the communication issues.

So for Joe Bleau from Francoville QC who had seen Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur or Roy, stars they could identify and connect with, Koivu wont stir much emotions in them. He's not much different to them than Mats Naslund.

Again, not my personnal opinion but simply things as they are.

oh man... here we are... on for another TRUCK of whining?

Havlat signed by wild, 30M, 6years...

do the math, these are Gionta's numbers...

Unload the truck of whine now.

(I'm going to bed)

Gainey mentionned in his press conference that durability was a factor in his choices. I think last season's injuries traumatized Bob. So Havlat was probably not a huge priority.

Gainey mentionned in his press conference that durability was a factor in his choices. I think last season's injuries traumatized Bob. So Havlat was probably not a huge priority.

right. still.

I'll compare them in EANHL and will be able to whine for ever, like all the other armchair GMs (who would all do better than Gainey)

I'm not saying I question it.

I'm saying it will get hotter on the hotlines.

one question : do you think 6 X 5M in Minny = 6 X 5M in MTL... or is it more 6 X 6M in MTL?

I'm pretty sure it amounts to that too. not just durability but the fact that Havlat's accountants wouldn't have voted for MTL's offer and we'd have had to pay 6M instead of 5M.

anyhow.