Habs UFA Thread

I checked out his stats on Hockeydb. I get the impression he is kinda like Bégin and Kostopoulos, except that he's 6'2" and weighs about 215 pds.

Didn't moen play with Pahlsson the year they won the cup?

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern isnt really if he's better on the puck than Kosto; is he better with the puck?

Err...that's what I meant. Like in soccer, on the ball = with the ball. Better with the puck. Not much, but an improvement I think in every aspect over Tom K.

He played with Pahlsson and I think O'Donnell on the quack 4th line. They were great, devastating and very much tone-setters for their rough & tumble style.

I checked out his stats on Hockeydb. I get the impression he is kinda like Bégin and Kostopoulos, except that he's 6'2" and weighs about 215 pds.

yeah and were arguably the League's best 3rd line, they were heads and shoulders (knees and toes) above the Madden line that season.

I was even surprised that Anaheim broke that line up last season (pahlson to chicago and moen to SJ)

Yes he is exactly like them but a better fighter, faster, bigger, stronger, and by far better hands than both combined.

He is the perfect bottom 6 winger.

Also he is always his team mates best friend.

ON the Mara front in last nights interview on CKAC he talked about how all the guys know eachother on and off the ice.

Everything that has happened this summer is all beacuase of the Gomez trade.

Yes he is exactly like them but a better fighter, faster, bigger, stronger, and by far better hands than both combined.

I guess it makes losing'cDonagh a bit more bearable.

I found Moen's comments about Montreal looking like Cup contenders interesting. He didn't say we 'have a chance' - he said we look like potential champions in his estimation. And this from a Cup-winning, blood-and-guts guy who plainly does NOT think our size up front will be an issue, and who *probably* could have signed in a few other cities for comparable dough. Not that Moen is the world's greatest expert on hockey talent, but his comments, coupled with those of Cammalleri, Gionta, and Mara, may tell us something important:

Whatever TSN thinks, JMMR is right. Gomez obviously has lots of respect around the NHL as a player (where his contract probably doesn't even come into it - players think of him as an opponent or teammate, not as a cap hit), and Gionta and Cammalleri are also viewed as gutsy, dangerous players. While I think it's been building ever since 2008, Gainey has clearly transformed the image of this franchise among NHL players. The Gomez trade seens to have been the final piece of the puzzle in repositioning us as one of those Favoured Franchises - c.f. Detroit, New Jersey, Colorado (still?), Dallas, Philadelphia - which serious players gravitate think of as a good destination and a place where you go to win.

And if it's true that most of our UFA signings have good pre-existing relationships with each other, as Mara indicated, then Gainey is the FURTHEST THING from an idiot: he went out and got a player (Gomez) who is well-connected as well as well-respected and identified other UFAs who will complement him both on AND off the ice. I don't know if that's even possible, but if, again, Gainey consciously researched that and made it the basis of his summer strategy, then he's closer to friggin' brilliant. He has maximized the odds of positive team chemistry and culture by making it a central consideration in rebuilding the core. What more can you want in a strategy?

Well, I don't think Bob is done. The cap space is an issue, and unless Laraque is going to get waived due to his chronic back issues, not an easy one to completely jettison.

Max Pac right now is Hamilton bound, whether you like it or not. He's too easy of a contract to send to the AHL, and he only scored 9 goals last year in 71 professional games. He really isn't ready for a top 9 forward spot, he just has good skating ability and can hit. I want him to develop into an offensive threat in his own right, and much like Andrei Kostitsyn when he first came over, he'll only do that in Hamilton.

We definitely have to see the RFA contracts to make sense of where we are cap wise. Where we are team wise is pretty obvious: We've got a younger core, but we've also got character veterans. We also have a veteran D... right now with O'Byrne our 7th and Weber our 8th, that means out of our top 6 Gorges is the most inexperienced guy there.

Well, I don't think Bob is done. The cap space is an issue, and unless Laraque is going to get waived due to his chronic back issues, not an easy one to completely jettison.

Max Pac right now is Hamilton bound, whether you like it or not. He's too easy of a contract to send to the AHL, and he only scored 9 goals last year in 71 professional games. He really isn't ready for a top 9 forward spot, he just has good skating ability and can hit. I want him to develop into an offensive threat in his own right, and much like Andrei Kostitsyn when he first came over, he'll only do that in Hamilton.

We definitely have to see the RFA contracts to make sense of where we are cap wise. Where we are team wise is pretty obvious: We've got a younger core, but we've also got character veterans. We also have a veteran D... right now with O'Byrne our 7th and Weber our 8th, that means out of our top 6 Gorges is the most inexperienced guy there.

Agree on all points, would love to see Pacioretty take his time and go through the AHL for a season under Boucher. Also agree that Bob is not done on the tinkering, still feel that a trade for a #2 ctr is in the works at some point.

I am really starting to love the look of the d corps now, with gorges and Gill pushed to 5-6 and a last spot open to whoever comes out on top in competition, instead of us reaching in desperation. The biggest worries are Gill's immobility and Hamrlik / Gorges play last year, but I'm very confident Martin will turn both of the latter ones around.

Agree on all points, would love to see Pacioretty take his time and go through the AHL for a season under Boucher. Also agree that Bob is not done on the tinkering, still feel that a trade for a #2 ctr is in the works at some point.

I am really starting to love the look of the d corps now, with gorges and Gill pushed to 5-6 and a last spot open to whoever comes out on top in competition, instead of us reaching in desperation. The biggest worries are Gill's immobility and Hamrlik / Gorges play last year, but I'm very confident Martin will turn both of the latter ones around.

I think we are looking at 1 or 2 trades still, Bob is not done cleaning house just yet. If I was pleks, s kosty, hammer, halak, I would keep an eye on the phone. It could be Bob :hlogo:

and nearly 1/3 of Komisarek

(and I'm guessing he'll provide the same type of play)

I highly doubt that. Mara doesnt through punches like a girl, and I dont beleive that he routinely takes himself out of a play to make 1/2 a hit along the boards either. :D

I wonder if Habsfan and the others will still miss Komi when he tries pushing Moen around and Moen knuckles him senseless. After all Moen is over 210 lbs so he is within Komi scared threshold. :rolleyes:

and nearly 1/3 of Komisarek

(and I'm guessing he'll provide the same type of play)

Komi played about 21 minutes a night for us. Mara is more of an 18 minute guy. He'll help, though. It's going to be more of a shutdown committee than relying so much on Komi like we did last year.

It should be noted that Mara may be 29 right now, but he's an old 29... he turns 30 before the start of the year. He probably isn't getting any better as a d-man at this point, he is what he is, and knows his limitations. He's figured out his role, and that's a good thing.

I highly doubt that. Mara doesnt through punches like a girl, and I dont beleive that he routinely takes himself out of a play to make 1/2 a hit along the boards either. :D

I wonder if Habsfan and the others will still miss Komi when he tries pushing Moen around and Moen knuckles him senseless. After all Moen is over 210 lbs so he is within Komi scared threshold. :rolleyes:

Moen actually is only fair as a fighter... Just go to Youtube and check him.... He has guts and doesnt shy away from any fight... but if he wants to belt Komi.... mmm better let Laraque do that... allow Moen to bodycheck all he wants.... Moen has the worst stability on his skates!

Edited by CoRvInA

Moen actually is only fair as a fighter... Just go to Youtube and check him.... He has guts and doesnt shy away from any fight... but if he wants to belt Komi.... mmm better let Laraque do that... allow Moen to bodycheck all he wants.... Moen has the worst stability on his skates!

:lol:

Oh I know.

I'm not suggesting Moen starting anything with Komi. I'm specifically talking about when Komi goes into the corner and does his usual tough guy pushing thing. After a few shoves by Komi I bet Moen will probably respond with real punches and if he catches Komi with 2 or 3 Komi will drop. Moen is Neils size and Komi is afraid of engaging Neil big time. Sure Moen isnt as good of fighter as Neil but either way Komi is afraid of being punched by guys that he doesnt have 30+ lbs on and he only has 25 lbs on Neil and Moen. Komi will only shove guys within 30 lbs of him, and then only up to point and then back away before they can retaliate with fisticuffs.

The sad truth is even in most of Komi's fights with guys he does have 30+ lbs on he still doesnt like to engage in punches and will just wrastle the guy to the ground when they start to punch him. Sure Komi has man handled some players in fights and pushed them around like rag dolls but they are all a lot closer to 6' 200 lbs. Komi doesnt seem to have the leverage or strength to do that to guys who are 6'2+ 215+ lbs. Most 6'2 215 lbs guys are probably aboot the same strength as Komi although Komi weighs a lot more, Komi is just has a larger frame with thicker waist. It would be interesting to find out what they bench press, etc because I bet its basically the same amounts and reps.

ON the Mara front in last nights interview on CKAC he talked about how all the guys know eachother on and off the ice.

I do believe that.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/l_fr/?se...rticleid=436377

Cammalleri will wear the 13

Gomez will wear the 91

and that was new to you? I'm happy you learn that finally...

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?s=&a...st&p=361472

;)

(even then, I think Fanpuck's was like "end of the day" news while I had seen it all over for the whole day...)

Komi played about 21 minutes a night for us. Mara is more of an 18 minute guy. He'll help, though. It's going to be more of a shutdown committee than relying so much on Komi like we did last year.

It should be noted that Mara may be 29 right now, but he's an old 29... he turns 30 before the start of the year. He probably isn't getting any better as a d-man at this point, he is what he is, and knows his limitations. He's figured out his role, and that's a good thing.

hehehe "...an old 29".

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/278346.html

Andreas Engqvist under contract. 2 way - 2 years.

Cyberpresse says it s a 2 way deal for 3 years??

In any case, i think this is a good acquisition. At 6'3" and 200 pds, he'll be a big guy up front. Something we need!

Edited by Habsfan

Cyberpresse says it s a 2 way deal for 3 years??

In any case, i think this is a good acquisition. At 6'3" and 200 pds, he'll be a big guy up front. Something we need!

You're right, it's 3 years.

hehehe "...an old 29".

Man, I'm glad I'm only 27 y.o. it sure sucks to be 29 or older, you become grumpy, relatives are talking about putting you in a retirement home, etc.

or is that 92 y.o.?

excuse my dyslexia.

Yea, i was wondering about the cap situation and what that means for Pleks. I have know idea about Engvist if he can play or not, but adding size down the middle can't hurt.

Huge years for Pleks and The Kosty brothers. A change is coming, they have an opportunity to do big things but can they produce.