My Habs Lineup as of Today

MFT77

pacs and dags did a commendable job when injuries took a toll on the key players.when the likes of koivu, higgins, and tanguay and others returned, dags was often relegated to 3rd or 4th line or healthy scratch, all the while the returning players took several weeks to regain their rhythm. its time for the new habs and the younger players to hit the ice and show the fans that the outgoing ufa's WON'T be missed. too many times being on the wrong end of the handshake line in the 2nd round or worse.time for a whole new attitude, culture and mindset.damn, august is such a long month!!!!!!!we've been hearing for years about the depth of the system. time to expose it and use it for better or worse.this is actually an exciting time to be a habs fan as we sail into unchartered territory.bring it on, pac, dags, chips and stew. habs fans believe in you.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pacs and dags did a commendable job when injuries took a toll on the key players.when the likes of koivu, higgins, and tanguay and others returned, dags was often relegated to 3rd or 4th line or healthy scratch, all the while the returning players took several weeks to regain their rhythm. its time for the new habs and the younger players to hit the ice and show the fans that the outgoing ufa's WON'T be missed. too many times being on the wrong end of the handshake line in the 2nd round or worse.time for a whole new attitude, culture and mindset.damn, august is such a long month!!!!!!!we've been hearing for years about the depth of the system. time to expose it and use it for better or worse.this is actually an exciting time to be a habs fan as we sail into unchartered territory.bring it on, pac, dags, chips and stew. habs fans believe in you.

i dont tend to be negative but Greg Stewart? I knowyou want to put everyone here for positive and I tip my hat to you!! Ben maxwell PK subban etc hope they all make it through even Stew... But i feel I dont like this stew! why the ###### hasnt he signed yet? he is a reserve forward (as career potential) http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Gregory_Stewart/ Come on you should be pinching yourself for being on the team!!! your there only cause you dont go through waivers! Put Alex Henry there instead of you! (lol again with A Henry!)

GO HABS GO!!!!

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta

D'Agostini - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - Moen

S. Kostitsyn - Chipchura - Laraque

Metropolit

Markov - Mara

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

O'Byrne

Price

Halak

Simplistic lineset here: 1st line is the top talent playing together until they prove they can't.

Keep Pleks and A Kost together and give them a right handed shooter in D'Agostini to pass to.

Let Latendresse grow into a larger role over time, but start him out comfortably in the 3rd spot - hopefully spurned into action by his pest linemates.

Put S Kost on the 4th to see what kind of effort he wants to bring to the team, with Chipchura and Laraque running a down-low cycle to wear out the opposition. Sub in Metropolit over Chipchura when you want a bit more offense from them. This 4th line is decidedly rag-tag, but it's the best with the NHLers left (as in my lines, the prospects are left down to start.)

And with an entire core d-group of LHers, I think those pairings provide a defensive rock with an offensive puckmover (and on some pairings, both in one.)

Metropolit

Markov - Mara

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

O'Byrne

Price

Halak

Simplistic lineset here: 1st line is the top talent playing together until they prove they can't.

Keep Pleks and A Kost together and give them a right handed shooter in D'Agostini to pass to.

Let Latendresse grow into a larger role over time, but start him out comfortably in the 3rd spot - hopefully spurned into action by his pest linemates.

Put S Kost on the 4th to see what kind of effort he wants to bring to the team, with Chipchura and Laraque running a down-low cycle to wear out the opposition. Sub in Metropolit over Chipchura when you want a bit more offense from them. This 4th line is decidedly rag-tag, but it's the best with the NHLers left (as in my lines, the prospects are left down to start.)

And with an entire core d-group of LHers, I think those pairings provide a defensive rock with an offensive puckmover (and on some pairings, both in one.)

I'm argumentitive today so, I think it's a complete waste of skill to have S. Kostitsyn on the 4th line. Not only is he not an energy type guy but anything he can create offensively will never go into the net with those two pulling the trigger... for that role he might as well be on the farm , traded, or waived. (obviously the last two options is just me being a dick)

Also, I'd waive Metro before I left Pacioretty off the team.

i dont tend to be negative but Greg Stewart? I knowyou want to put everyone here for positive and I tip my hat to you!! Ben maxwell PK subban etc hope they all make it through even Stew... But i feel I dont like this stew! why the ###### hasnt he signed yet? he is a reserve forward (as career potential) http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Gregory_Stewart/ Come on you should be pinching yourself for being on the team!!! your there only cause you dont go through waivers! Put Alex Henry there instead of you! (lol again with A Henry!)

GO HABS GO!!!!

i agree to an extent. subban will really have to turn heads to even have a chance with the parent club.maxwell really was hard to evaluate. sometimes the habs seem to be too patient in bringing up their younger players.would be nice to see the current mix of vets and young talent come togetheras they did in 86.

Metropolit

Markov - Mara

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

O'Byrne

Price

Halak

That second line looks really, really sketchy to me. I don't want my team entering a crucial season like that, especially given the importance of Gomez in particular getting off to a fast start (otherwise, the boo-birds are apt to get on his ass, because he makes a lot of money). Gomez and Gionta will be most effective if backed by solid secondary scoring. Therefore you're better off putting Cammalleri on Line 2 just to give Plekanec a proven scorer to work with - and maybe to give A. Kostitsyn quite a different role model from the neurotic Russian he's been observing for the last two seasons. Put Lats on the first line and S. Kostitsyn on the third, would be my thinking. Also, Metropolit has to have the edge over Chipchura. Metropolit is a good hockey player; Chips will have his work cut out for him to make the cut, at least as a C (he might do better as a winger for now).

I really hope Ryan O'Bryne takes some steps forward this year. He became the childish fan's whipping boy last year, but we've seen him make some solid outlet passes, his size is incredible, and he looked pretty decent against the Prunes in the playoffs. Even if he cap top out as a 5th defenceman, he would be a useful NHLer. Perhaps Gill can offer a better mentor than Hamrlik.

I'm argumentitive today so, I think it's a complete waste of skill to have S. Kostitsyn on the 4th line. Not only is he not an energy type guy but anything he can create offensively will never go into the net with those two pulling the trigger... for that role he might as well be on the farm , traded, or waived. (obviously the last two options is just me being a dick)

Also, I'd waive Metro before I left Pacioretty off the team.

Putting S Kost on the 4th is not a test of skill, it's a test of effort. He proved nothing last season other than he's a sometimes player. I feel he has to earn a better position in the lineup and not just have it handed to him.

That's the key thing about my lineup suggestion, everything is based on results. The only leap of faith in that lineup is D'Agostini on the 2nd (and it's a role he's had before.) Everyone else is where they deserve to be and has to prove they deserve more (or less, in the case of the top line.)

Lineups with Pacioretty and Latendresse on the top two lines are based on hopes, dreams, gumdrops and lollipops. They haven't earned a spot there. Pacioretty hasn't even earned a spot on the NHL roster yet.

I don't think Latendresse on the top two lines is based on dreams and gumdrops. He's been one of the most productive 5 on 5 forwards in Montreal since he came on board in terms of goals/ice time. It's just that in that time, he has received virtually no PP time on one of the top units in the league. Just because he hasn't been given the opportunity since his rookie year to be in the top 6 doesn't mean we should deny him that chance this year.

No one has earned that last top 6 spot yet, that's kind of the reason for the debate.

Putting S Kost on the 4th is not a test of skill, it's a test of effort. He proved nothing last season other than he's a sometimes player. I feel he has to earn a better position in the lineup and not just have it handed to him.

That's the key thing about my lineup suggestion, everything is based on results. The only leap of faith in that lineup is D'Agostini on the 2nd (and it's a role he's had before.) Everyone else is where they deserve to be and has to prove they deserve more (or less, in the case of the top line.)

Lineups with Pacioretty and Latendresse on the top two lines are based on hopes, dreams, gumdrops and lollipops. They haven't earned a spot there. Pacioretty hasn't even earned a spot on the NHL roster yet.

I feel like Guillaume has earned a spot on top 2 lines more than D'Agostini.

I'd go like this.

Cammalleri (cuz he signed to be there) - Gomez - Gionta

Latendresse - Plex - A. Kost

S. Kost - Lapierre - Moen

D'Agostini - Metropolit - Laraque

Chipchura

Same defense as you posted. I like Mara paired with Markov and Hamrlik with Spacek.

Well no offense but Lats and Pacioretty has proved more the SK. So having him in the lineup is based on hopes and dreams also.

Lats has proven he can put up 15 or so goals a year, improved defensiveive play each year.

Pacioretty is physically ready, he always works hard. He needs time and experience.

SK proved nothing last year. 4th line time for him makes no sense.

D"Agi is a role player at best, he has some skill with a good shot and great wheels but he quickly vanished.

2 out of those 4 will make the roster i beleive, it's up to them to see who the best man is.

Stewart should make the team as well, especially if BGL is injured.

Well no offense but Lats and Pacioretty has proved more the SK. So having him in the lineup is based on hopes and dreams also.

Lats has proven he can put up 15 or so goals a year, improved defensiveive play each year.

Pacioretty is physically ready, he always works hard. He needs time and experience.

SK proved nothing last year. 4th line time for him makes no sense.

D"Agi is a role player at best, he has some skill with a good shot and great wheels but he quickly vanished.

2 out of those 4 will make the roster i beleive, it's up to them to see who the best man is.

Stewart should make the team as well, especially if BGL is injured.

I think that one key of succes this season will be to keep Andrei Kostitsyn focused ans happy. Sergei in the lineup.

Don't get me started on that one. I can think of 3mill reasons he should produce with or without his brother.

It didn't seem to help either one of them last year.

Open competition wil be the best for this years roster, especially with the new leaders on the team.

Don't get me started on that one. I can think of 3mill reasons he should produce with or without his brother.

It didn't seem to help either one of them last year.

Open competition wil be the best for this years roster, especially with the new leaders on the team.

If he can't produce without his brother, the Frolov rumour becomes suddenly more and more tempting.

GO HABS GO!!!!

I actually agree aboot Stew though. That playoff series with the Flyers Stew should have been put in, but oh no he didnt have any experience. Did he get any not being in? No. Did Price have this experience? No. Did they still play Price? Yes.

The Flyers were knocking the Habs around big time and had nobody who could have help retaliate, except Stew but they still wouldnt play him. Its not like the Habs had a chance to win the series the way it was going, so why not let Stew play? Oh, because he;d make a mistake and the Habs would loose the series, which would have happened anyway from the way Price couldnt use his glove hand. Now this year Stew is still inexperienced and will still possibly make that rookie mistake, only this time it will actually matter.

I'm laughing at most of your lines guys. There has to be at least 1 fighter on every line/d pairing or its pointless. You cant have them all out at the same time. :lol:

I'm laughing at most of your lines guys. There has to be at least 1 fighter on every line/d pairing or its pointless. You cant have them all out at the same time. :lol:

:huh:

I'm sure numerous line combo's will be tried out especially with all the new faces. I prefer i bigger tougher lineup when everyone is healthy including a Stewart Metro Laraque 4th line with everyone healthy. I am really tired of players getting squashed, goalies ran over all night with no response.

So in a month or so when training camp starts we'll start getting some answers.

I definitely lookinng forward to the increased skill and speed.

Latendresse-Gomez-Gionta

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

D'Agostini-Lapierre-Moen

Chipchura-Metropolit-Stewart

(Laraque starts the season injured, Sergei in the AHL)

Has Dags ever played LW before? Maybe Habitforming should ask him how he'd like that. lol For me, a big question mark is whether he could play on a third line with big guys like Lapierre and Moen.

I actually agree aboot Stew though. That playoff series with the Flyers Stew should have been put in, but oh no he didnt have any experience. Did he get any not being in? No. Did Price have this experience? No. Did they still play Price? Yes.

The Flyers were knocking the Habs around big time and had nobody who could have help retaliate, except Stew but they still wouldnt play him. Its not like the Habs had a chance to win the series the way it was going, so why not let Stew play? Oh, because he;d make a mistake and the Habs would loose the series, which would have happened anyway from the way Price couldnt use his glove hand. Now this year Stew is still inexperienced and will still possibly make that rookie mistake, only this time it will actually matter.

I don’t know if this is the right thread to post this in but, if I am Bob Gainey I would like to see him continue with his improving the team. two more trades and one courtesy trade with Edmonton to give Chipchura a chance to play. There would be a enforcer type on the ice for all lineups.

Building ‘your team’ it’s just that, a fun exercise while taking into consideration improving the overall team ( not just one position ) and keeping the Cap within reason for the next two years. My cap hit for 09/10 is $ 52,025. Million with 21 players signed. For 10/11 is $ 47,757. Million with 17 players signed ( Price, Mara, Latendresse and Pouliot. Perron would be signed at $2.250. mil. ) Having Burrows and Perron, Gainey will not be pressured with Latendresse threatening arbitration.

Plekanec- one year contract $2.75 million then a UFA July 1st. 2010. My second favourite player. Do I want to trade him, No. However, if he was part of a package that returned a younger and skilled players in return that would fill a area of weakness . . . then yes. Burrow’s would without question fill a weakness and the trade fills a need for Vancouver, especially with Taylor Pyatt still available.

If we look a Plekanec ‘s abilities as 10 on 10 Then Malhotra a UFA as a suitable replacement as 7 on 10, the bonus being his 58% FO percentage over Pleks 50.6% FO%. Agreed, he is listed as a third line centre. However, he is the best available today at a reasonable and respectable cost ( approx. $2 mil. ) He has a offer from Atlanta but is waiting for another team, my hope it is Montreal

if Plekanec is to be traded.

St.Louis- Perron is a exceptional player that plays and thinks like he is 6’2” . a goal scorer and setup man with attitude. The bonus, he is only 21. There are some that might suggest my trade is too much to give, I’m wondering if it is enough . Andre is not the same player if his brother in not in Montreal and does not show up for all games.

The Edmonton is a old rumor that I'm still hoping for.

UFA Pickup before trading with Vancouver

Manny Malhotra - 6’2” C (29) cap $2mil-2 year contract 10/11 UFA

#1a

To Montreal:

Alexandre Burrows 6’1” LW/RW (28) cap $2mil 4 year contract 13/14 UFA

Alexandre Bolduc 6’1” C/LW (24) cap 0.515 1 year contract 09/10 RFA 4/127- ( Hamilton )

To Vancouver:

T Plekanec 5’10” C/LW -(27) cap 2.75 mil. 1 year contract 09/10 RFA 3/71

J Gorges 6’1” LD- (25) cap $1.1 mil. 2 year contract 10/11 RFA * 1/ SJ (Kelowna)

Rights to Alexei Emelin- LD-6’0” 3/84 ( almost ready to play NHL)

To Montreal:

David Perron – 6’0” –RW/LW- (21) –cap $0.918.m 1 year contract 09/10 UFA 1/26

To St. Louis:

A Kostitsyn – 6’0” LW/RW – (24) - cap $3.250.m- 2 year contract 10/11 UFA 1/10

S Kostitsyn – 5’11” RW/LW (22) – Cap $0.817m 1 year contract 09/10 RFA

D’Agostini 6’0” RW (22) cap ??? RFA 6/190

To Montreal:

Zack Stortini 6’4” RW (23) cap 0.700 2 year contract 10/11 RFA 3/

Marc-Andre Bernier 6’4” RW (24) entry level ( Hamilton ) 2/

Jean-Francois Jacques 6’4” LW-(24)- cap 0.525) 1 year contract 09/10 RFA 2/68 ( Hamilton )

Marc Pouliot- 6’1” C/RW- (24)- cap 0.825 1 year contract 09/10 RFA 1/22

To Edmonton:

G Laraque 6’3- RW- (32) cap $1.5 mil 2 year contract 10/11 UFA ( home town) 2/31

K Chipchura 6’2” C--(23) cap $0.500 1 year contract 09/10 RFA Alberta boy 1/18

Glen Metropolit C (34) cap $1 mil. 1 year contract 09/10 UFA

Ryan Russel 5’10” C (21) cap $0.495. entry level 7

Shawn Belle– Edmonton is Home Town RFA* 1/30 St.Lo

Cammalleri 5’9” – Gomez 5’11”– Gionta 5’7”

Burrows 6’1” – Malhotra 6’2” – Perron 6’0”

T Moen 6’2”- Lapierre 6’2” – Latendresse 6’2”

Stewart 6’2”– Pouliot 6’1”– Stortini 6’4”

( Henry LW/ )

Markov 6’0” – Spacek RD 5’11”

Hamrlik 6’2’ – P Mara 6’4”

H Gill 6’7”LD – O’Byrne 6’6”

(A Henry 6’5” LD/LW)

Price & Halak

Henry rotates with Stewart when Stortini is out

Boston /Toronto- Rest O’Byrne and Henry in RD (lucic) = LD for Toronto (Orr)

Latendresse out Stewart moved to his spot and henry moved to LW 4th line (Option )

v-hab, I applaud your effort. You seem to have put a lot of thought into your post. But it's terrible. We'd give way too much for too little. The resulting 2nd line is a major major downgrade on our current 2nd while the 3rd and 4th are the same. Malhotra is a glorified 4th liner. You overrate Perron a lot. To say he'd be worth AKost alone would be a stretch, let alone AKost + SKost + Dago. You pay too much for Burrows too, and give away too much in that trade with Edmonton as well. I dont know if getting 6 local boys was part of the plan or just a coincidence, but either way it wouldnt be worth giving all those assets.

Didnt we use to have a place in the forums reserved for those fantasy trade/lineups?

Fun and games are good times, but the reality right now is that Gainey is essentially done tweaking the roster. He's prepared to lose Plekanec for cap space like he does with most potential UFAs. Martin may make some recommendations at training camp if he feels guys aren't going to fit into his system, but other than potentially waiving Laraque or maybe Metropolit I don't really see many possibilities.

Halak will be the backup, O'Byrne will be the 7th d-man, Henry will get a long look if Laraque's health is still an issue (although there aren't any real fighters in Hamilton beyond Conboy, so he may be predestined to do that job), and there are about 5 young forwards who will all be battling for a roster spot in some form.

There's still a month before training camp, but I think it's safe to say that we're moving on from the "what should we do" discussions to "what if we had done this instead" discussions. Gainey has acted. He's probably gone fishing for a week or two.

v-habs, I applaud your effort. You seem to have put a lot of thought into your post. But it's terrible. We'd give way too much for too little. The resulting 2nd line is a major major downgrade on our current 2nd while the 3rd and 4th are the same. Malhotra is a glorified 4th liner. You overrate Perron a lot. To say he'd be worth AKost alone would be a stretch, let alone AKost + SKost + Dago. You pay too much for Burrows too, and give away too much in that trade with Edmonton as well. I dont know if getting 6 local boys was part of the plan or just a coincidence, but either way it wouldnt be worth giving all those assets.

Didnt we use to have a place in the forums reserved for those fantasy trade/lineups?

First I apologize, I was not able to find a thread that might fall into the category of build your own dream team. After reading the posting rules, I did not want to start a new thread.

We obliviously have different opinions on the value of players that would help improve the current team. My question for you would be, at the end of May 09 did you expect that so many of the regular roster ( we all thought were just the greatest) would be gone and more surprising, how many have not been offered a contract from 29 other teams?. I know I was.

I will only address two of your concerns, Kostitsyn, is a great player, when he plays. There are far too many games where he just doesn’t come to play. You trade when the player has value , not when he is in a down year. Perron is a exceptional player playing on a questionable line. In order to get JD to even listen one has to overpay. Malhotra is a borderline second line centre and top line, third line centre http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?1617 and clearly I said, he would be a ‘suitable replacement’ considering what is available. In order to pry Burrows loose from Vancouver, again you must pay a premium . Burrows is everything we all hoped Latendresse would be.

My suggested team is not a fantasy team more of a dream team, and would make us stronger at every position IMHO.

Cammalleri 5’9” – Gomez 5’11”– Gionta 5’7”

Burrows 6’1” – Malhotra 6’2” – Perron 6’0”

T Moen 6’2”- Lapierre 6’2” – Latendresse 6’2”

Stewart 6’2”– Pouliot 6’1”– Stortini 6’4”

( Henry LW/ )

Markov 6’0” – Spacek RD 5’11”

Hamrlik 6’2’ – P Mara 6’4”

H Gill 6’7”LD – O’Byrne 6’6”

(A Henry 6’5” LD/LW)

Price & Halak

Henry rotates with Stewart when Stortini is out

Boston /Toronto- Rest O’Byrne and Henry in RD (lucic) = LD for Toronto (Orr)

Latendresse out Stewart moved to his spot and henry moved to LW 4th line (Option )

HEy I gotta love you putting A HEnry there... to me he is the logical and NOTE the future of enforcer prototype.. a BIG versatile 6th or 7th Defencemen that can also play forward on the 4th line and drop the gloves at the sound of the whistle! to me I can NOT see why he does not have a legitimate chance at a roster spot. the fact is Stewart has the edge cause of his non waiver option and now that he signed an even cheaper contract (Im sure they told Stewart Wake up if you dont play for less than A henry does then your not making the team)

Edited by CoRvInA