My Habs Lineup as of Today

MFT77

1. Stewart does other things and skates pretty well. Henry is big and slow

2. Moen Defends his team mates

3. BGL when healthy will take care of things. I know alot of people are down on him but when healthy he brings alot to the 4th line.

IF Laraque isn't Healthy Henry is fine i guess.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malhotra is a borderline second line centre and top line, third line centre

I will start off by saying that I love Manny. He was a great player to have the last five years in Columbus. He is not, however, a top 2 center. His career high in points is 35, and he's seen plenty of time with Rick Nash due to Columbus' lack of depth at center in recent years. He is an excellent 3rd line center, excellent penalty killer, and one of the league's best at faceoffs. He is not, however, the answer for any team to fill a scoring roll. If we didn't already have Lapierre centering our 3rd line, I'd be all for signing Manny. I'd love to sign him for the 4th line and dump Metropolit, but I don't think he'd be willing to take that role.

Didnt we use to have a place in the forums reserved for those fantasy trade/lineups?

No, but I've been pondering a sub-forum for such things, along with rumors. Only problem is then the "View New Posts" would always be full of rumors, the whole reason we started the rumor thread.

Both Henry and Stewart have the same contract: $500k, 2 way deal, and both would have to be put on waivers to go to the AHL if they don't make the Habs.

There are a lot of defensive options in Hamilton, though: Weber, Subban, Belle, Carle, Benoit, Busto, Anderson and St. Denis. So Henry may not be "needed" as much in Hamilton should he have a good camp. Plus, Conboy is going to be counted on as their enforcer, I'd think.

Henry's an option, and Stewart is no guarantee. I don't know if it's either/or, but they're both competing for one of the open forward/reserve spots.

Both Henry and Stewart have the same contract: $500k, 2 way deal, and both would have to be put on waivers to go to the AHL if they don't make the Habs.

There are a lot of defensive options in Hamilton, though: Weber, Subban, Belle, Carle, Benoit, Busto, Anderson and St. Denis. So Henry may not be "needed" as much in Hamilton should he have a good camp. Plus, Conboy is going to be counted on as their enforcer, I'd think.

Henry's an option, and Stewart is no guarantee. I don't know if it's either/or, but they're both competing for one of the open forward/reserve spots.

OH really??? I had no idea Stewart had to go through waivers... has he played than many games already??? Gees how time flies!

The big difference will be the re-entry waiver situation too - I know Henry has to clear both ways; I've got in touch with my contacts to find out what Stewart's AHL salary is in the meantime. I suspect it's $105,000, enough to prevent him from being subject to re-entry waivers.

I will start off by saying that I love Manny. He was a great player to have the last five years in Columbus. He is not, however, a top 2 centre. His career high in points is 35, and he's seen plenty of time with Rick Nash due to Columbus' lack of depth at centre in recent years. He is an excellent 3rd line centre, excellent penalty killer, and one of the league's best at faceoffs. He is not, however, the answer for any team to fill a scoring roll. If we didn't already have Lapierre centering our 3rd line, I'd be all for signing Manny. I'd love to sign him for the 4th line and dump Metropolit, but I don't think he'd be willing to take that role.

I’m guessing I didn’t explain this very well. ‘Malhotra as being a borderline second line centre’ There will be games he will look good on the second line but more games where he will not. I understand everyone’s point and agree with it. However, I did qualify the statement as a “suitable replacement, cost efficient that is available, should Plekanec get traded”. "He is an excellent 3rd line centre, excellent penalty killer" add to that, he is a excellent skater.

If you check this site for available centers you will have to agree Manny is a suitable replacement, only if Plekanec is traded.

http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hocke...gi?ufa.cgi?2009

But why we would we trade Plekanec for that return? I find that we get worse in all of those trades. Where's the advantage of making the moves?

Funny thing about Malhotra. I remember when he was waived by Dallas. It was early in Gainey's first year as GM. On another board we were discussing the very fact that Gainey might target a young centre with upside (and size) who another team was giving up on. A day or two later, Malhotra was waived and we were all in agreement that Gainey should put in a claim for him. Columbus claimed him, and they had a higher waiver priority than the Habs did at the time, so it was just unlucky I suppose. Malhotra never became a top 2 centre, but he could've played a good role.

Here it is, 6 years later and we're still waiting for Gainey to bring in a top 2 centre with size. :wacko:

But why we would we trade Plekanec for that return? I find that we get worse in all of those trades. Where's the advantage of making the moves?

In my dream world we are in need of players that play with grit ( stand up for team-mates) that can skate and score goals. Burrows’ is just that type of player. 150 penalty minutes last season, plus the fact he is francophone. It’s easier to find a centre, than it is to get a good power forward. Presently, we have Stewart and Moen, they are not goal scorers, they are grinders and checkers.

To answer your question, go through the depth charts for Boston, Toronto and Ottawa, just our division and take note of ‘ pain in the azz” Hitters and grinders type players our new roster will have to face.

That’s why I believe we need a Burrows type player that can skate, score, 28 goals and 51 points last season and be a part time enforcer when needed for his 2nd. line. The bonus part, he is signed for 4 years at $2 million. Before anyone jumps back with “ he played with the twins, he didn’t start the season with them, it was around mid-season. I watched all but 4 games last season and went to 2

Centers soon to be available, Maxwell, Johansson, Fortier,Leblanc ?, and Engqvist. Plekanec signed for 1 year so he could test the UFA market at the end of next season. Now go through the same depth chart at available wingers . . .that's where the shortage is. Burrows and Perron are YOUNG and established NHL players .

I’m guessing I didn’t explain this very well. ‘Malhotra as being a borderline second line centre’ There will be games he will look good on the second line but more games where he will not. I understand everyone’s point and agree with it. However, I did qualify the statement as a “suitable replacement, cost efficient that is available, should Plekanec get traded”. "He is an excellent 3rd line centre, excellent penalty killer" add to that, he is a excellent skater.

If you check this site for available centers you will have to agree Manny is a suitable replacement, only if Plekanec is traded.

http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hocke...gi?ufa.cgi?2009

And my point is that he is NOT a suitable replacement for a second line center. Yes, short term he can fill that role. He can't fill it for an entire season. No team that brings in Manny Malhotra with the intention of him being the #2 center is going to make the playoffs.

Maybe it was the moment when the pictures were taken... But I would like to think that the 5 new players that were there for the photo-shoot and presentation to the media a few weeks ago... the 5 have an agenda and a mission of bouncing back! of no fooling around anymore this is serious!

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...ge&id=44990

(if you click on the pictures you can still see the earlier (past team's) mug shot... quite different attitude)

Maybe it was the moment when the pictures were taken... But I would like to think that the 5 new players that were there for the photo-shoot and presentation to the media a few weeks ago... the 5 have an agenda and a mission of bouncing back! of no fooling around anymore this is serious!

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...ge&id=44990

(if you click on the pictures you can still see the earlier (past team's) mug shot... quite different attitude)

lol... what's up with Mara?

Lineup is set. I really believe that Bob is just gonna leave things the way they are and see how things shape up in training camp.

I would be shocked to see us involved in any trade with Ottawa. And I really don't think Bob is willing to pay too high of a price for one year of Marleau.

SO, I'm guessing we go in looking like...

Gionta - Gomez - A.Kost

Camms - Pleks - S.Kost/Pax

Moen - Laps - Lats

Laraque - Metro - S.Kost/Pax

Markov - Mara

Spacek - Hammer

Gorges - Gill

O'Byrne

Lineup is set. I really believe that Bob is just gonna leave things the way they are and see how things shape up in training camp.

I would be shocked to see us involved in any trade with Ottawa. And I really don't think Bob is willing to pay too high of a price for one year of Marleau.

SO, I'm guessing we go in looking like...

Gionta - Gomez - A.Kost

Camms - Pleks - S.Kost/Pax

Moen - Laps - Lats

Laraque - Metro - S.Kost/Pax

Markov - Mara

Spacek - Hammer

Gorges - Gill

O'Byrne

I like that line up a lot.

I think that the 3rd line may be one of the most annoying in the league, very hard to play against.

Lapierre must have been the most excited when Moen signed because now he can case even more shit and get away with it.

• 3 weeks later...

François Gagnon, from Cyberpresse.ca released a good article where he asked both Hamrlik and Spacek if they'd like to play together.

Both said that they prefer play on the left side. They talked about that this summer in Czek Republic and they said they maybe would have to go head or tail...

The link has been posted on HabsWorld website.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of talks around for the 2th line but there is a battle for 4th line and press gallery back up guy.

And it seems nobody wants it so there Tom Pyatt in the run for a role in there.

It's under the radar but i am surprised of Tom Pyatt play, he is better all around than i thought.

Good skater, puck control, defense is good and hustles hard in opponent zone.

He is still at the camp and he has a shot at a 4th line job.

I do not know if i am wrong there but Stewart does not have a good camp, so does Chipchura. Who else can fit

in there with Metropolit and Laraque ??

So my line up has for today is

A Kost- Gomez- Gionta

Cammalleri- Plekanek- D'Agostini

Latendresse-Lapierre-Moen

Pyatt-Metropolit-Laraque

Markov- Spacek

Hamrlik- Gorges

Mara- Gill

O'byrne

Well that line up doesn't have Pacioretty how has out played D'Agi. So i'm sure Pacioretty has a spot on the big club. In what role i don't know.

I am a big fan of keeping the big 3 together. I go Pleks AK46 and either SK or Pacioretty. There speed and skill are very impressive. As another poster mentioned the few games they played togehter last year they were great.

D'Agi does have great wheels and can finish but he looks lost out there. I don't know that he has done enough to start.

I also don't think Gorges has earned top 4 time. I think he is better suited to play te RD with Gill, His speed and skating will help Gill more then Mara.

I would look to Mara and Hamrlik to be the "shut down" guys.

We will know in a week what the lines are.

I do not know if i am wrong there but Stewart does not have a good camp, so does Chipchura. Who else can fit

in there with Metropolit and Laraque ??

Stewart hasn't looked too good, neither has Moen, but generally guys like that don't fare too well in camps for some reason. Chipchura hasn't had a good camp, but he hasn't had a bad camp either... he's still injured and was not cleared for contact as of the last game/practice.

Pyatt will still be in the AHL to start the year... He's earned himself a quick recall if he continues to play well in the AHL. He was nowhere near the NHL level last year from what I've heard so his improvements have to be taken in stride.

According to Hickey's article in the gazette this morning, Pacioretty will play with Gomez and Camm, A. Kost with plek and gionta, D'ago with Laps and Gui and Moen with Laraques and Metro/Chip...

I'm not sure if it was his assumption or an actual fact tho

On Pyatt: I remember when the Gomez trade was made and everybody was ripping out their hair, I did some Internet research into Pyatt, and I remember thinking that, from what I was reading, this barely-mentioned "throw-in" looked like a player that could actually help the Habs out someday. Nice to think that maybe Bob didn't just deplete the system, he actually got a good prospect back, in addition to the best player in that deal.

According to Hickey's article in the gazette this morning, Pacioretty will play with Gomez and Camm, A. Kost with plek and gionta, D'ago with Laps and Gui and Moen with Laraques and Metro/Chip...

I'm not sure if it was his assumption or an actual fact tho

It's just Hickey's opinion http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Paci...2591/story.html

" Martin would like to balance his top lines, and that means Pacioretty has a good shot of playing with Gomez and Gionta, while Cammalleri will play with Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn" .

He also thinks that Matt D'Agostini has a spot, that SK will probably start in rotation on the fourth line and that " Gregory Stewart, Ben Maxwell, Tom Pyatt and Kyle Chipchura are battling for one remaining spot. Stewart's toughness gives him an edge. Chipchura was a first-round draft pick in 2004 (18th overall), but he's lost ground because he is recovering from shoulder injury and hasn't seen any contact".

Interesting to see how the actual line-up on opening night corresponds to Hickey's projections

Edited by PMAC