quoted text limit

I'm trying to make a post and I keep getting this bullshit error message about "you have quoted more text than you are allowed" or some dumb crap like that.

What is the damn limit? Can we change it? If so, why the Hell not!!

I hate to be limited in my personal creative expression for no good reasons!

Wow, I didn't even know we had a limit. I wish it was less than it is. I hate when people quote an entire essay of a post just to respond to one little thing. I mean, we've already read the post once, don't need to read the whole thing again.

Wow, I didn't even know we had a limit. I wish it was less than it is. I hate when people quote an entire essay of a post just to respond to one little thing. I mean, we've already read the post once, don't need to read the whole thing again.

No, the limit is not the length of the quote; it's the amount of quotes.

I wanted to quote a series of back and forth arguements out of thread and I kept getting that error message. Pissed me off to no end. I'm still mad. I'm gonna go take it out on Saku Koivu now.

What is the damn limit? Can we change it? If so, why the Hell not!!

If I'm not mistaken, you can't quote more than 5 posts in a single message. Don't know if it can be changed or not, but I get that error message at 5 quotes.

I doubled it to 10. And you can even quote quote yourself now

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

That second one's not really an accomplishment, a couple of HWL'ers have been doing that for some time now. :)

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

That second one's not really an accomplishment, a couple of HWL'ers have been doing that for some time now. :)

:lol:

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

Thank you, I guess.

Now alexstream is gonna be doubly annoying.

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

Thank you, I guess.

:rolleyes:

Please, PLEASE turn off the multi-quote crap. It's SO annoying. You end up with 100 lines of quotes and then a 1 line response to one thing. Ugh.

You realize people would just copy/paste and wrap quote tags around everything then, right? It won't go away.

I love multi-quoting, makes things way easier.

You realize people would just copy/paste and wrap quote tags around everything then, right? It won't go away.

It certainly went away the last time we turned it off. How often do you see embedded quotes anyone? All it does is make posts ridiculously long. Do we really need to read an entire thread in every post? Now every time I reply to a post that was already a reply, I have to delete quoted text so that I'm only responding to the one post. I'm responding to a single post, I don't want to respond to the response about a response to yet another response.

I'm fine being able to have more quotes per post, but layered quotes are evil!

Do you really need to reference 7 other messages when you make your point though? Most of the time, you respond to the post you're hitting the reply button on, not the 6 preceding it. The only time the limit irked me was PM's when I was going back and forth - you delete the first 4 and start again, hardly difficult. Already, I'm seeing 5 and 6 quotes in some threads for 1-word answers - not 1-line, 1-word. By the time I scroll through the quotes, I lose interest in the post itself. :)

I can appreciate having a few posts referenced, but frankly I was fine with the old limit of 5.

OHHHHHH...you guys mean quotes in quotes

Yeah, nevermind, I thought you meant something else.

Yeah, I should have called it something else. KoZed was talking about the number of quotes, so me calling the other option Matt changed "multi-quoting" wasn't the best name.

As I recall we had a problem a coupla years back that messages were getting ridiculously long displaying too much quote history and a bewildering vortex of quotes within quotes, that's why we limited the quotes.

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

Thank you, I guess.

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you

Thank you, I guess.

:rolleyes:

like, do we really need this?

No, we don't but thats not what anyone was asking for.

Actually, that's exactly what Koz was asking for (I think). He wanted to reply to a post that had several quotes in it and got frustrated when the message that says you've quoted too many posts came up. That's what started this whole thing.

Actually, that's exactly what Koz was asking for (I think). He wanted to reply to a post that had several quotes in it and got frustrated when the message that says you've quoted too many posts came up. That's what started this whole thing.

fuggin' kozed :P

could make a multi-post message to get all the quotes/content in? Like a work of literature that comes in volumes. KoZed Proust.

I thought he was just asking to be able to have more than 5 quotes in a thread.

You can have more than 5 quotes in a thread, that's no problem - just look at this one. 5 in a single post is where the issue was (I think). Or are you saying 5 threaded quotes together?

No, he wanted

fuggin' kozed :P

could make a multi-post message to get all the quotes/content in? Like a work of literature that comes in volumes. KoZed Proust.

to

do

You can have more than 5 quotes in a thread, that's no problem - just look at this one. 5 in a single post is where the issue was (I think). Or are you saying 5 threaded quotes together?

this

with more then 5 quotes. Which now we can.

I meant more than 5 quotes in a post, my bad.

No, he wanted

to

do

this

with more then 5 quotes. Which now we can.

Exactly.

It was for my Thought for Carbo post. I wanted to extract the main posts from the Carbo Fired thread that showed the main position. I had Colin, Noah and others on one side, and brobin, JoeLass, myself and others on the other side. But I was limited to only 5 quotes. Shit, 5 posts is less than what it takes to Colin to make a point! (unless it's one 10 000 words long post!)