Re Koivu

Nilan25

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Canadiens never had a player with more heart than Saku Koivu. It is to our eternal shame that he was too often the target of attacks from bigots in this province: to our eternal credit that some of us were able to recognize what a rare individual Koivu is and to celebrate with him his greatest triumph, the return from cancer.

This city, Saku, will never be the quite same without you.

I hope you're only referring to players during his tenure with the team.

That was a quote from the article, and I expect the author really meant "ever".

There have certainly been many more skilled and talented players, but I think it would have been hard for Koivu to put any more heart into his game while wearing the Habs uniform (or the Finnish national team uniform, for that matter). And if he really did give it his all (as I personally believe he did), then the author is correct -- others may have played with as much heart, but not more.

That was a quote from the article, and I expect the author really meant "ever".

There have certainly been many more skilled and talented players, but I think it would have been hard for Koivu to put any more heart into his game while wearing the Habs uniform (or the Finnish national team uniform, for that matter). And if he really did give it his all (as I personally believe he did), then the author is correct -- others may have played with as much heart, but not more.

Do you really want to go on record saying that Koivu played with more heart than a guy like Rocket Richard?

Do you really want to go on record saying that Koivu played with more heart than a guy like Rocket Richard?

or Jean Beliveau? or Bob Gainey? or Guy Carboneau.

I think not.

Guys come on! Give the guy his moment his time to shine. Stop comparing him to the greats. He may not be the most talented guy but damn he has heart if ive ever seen it. I think any team would welcome his presence. He will go up into the rafters, mark my words.

Guys come on! Give the guy his moment his time to shine. Stop comparing him to the greats. He may not be the most talented guy but damn he has heart if ive ever seen it. I think any team would welcome his presence. He will go up into the rafters, mark my words.

Give me a break. There are Hall of Famers who haven't even had their numbers retired by the Habs.

Give me a break. There are Hall of Famers who haven't even had their numbers retired by the Habs.

Next thing you know people will be lobbying to have #27, #60, and #43/71 retired.

Ya, not gonna happen. Loved Koivu when he was here. I don't buy any of the Koivu clique ruined our chances of maturing spoiled brat french kid ribiero crap. But he aint goin in the rafters.

Long time viewer of the website and first post.

Koivu showed the love and dedication for this Canadiens team and club that few professional sportsmen have shown for theirs in recent times. Living in a world dominated by football, loyalities these days are as deep a £50k per week footballers contract and no-one commits to a club for life. If only some of them had the respect for their sports that Saku does.

Saku deserved to finish his career in Montreal and it would have been fitting for him to lift a cup even as a third line player, whether captain or not. He showed class and loyalty to the city and I am sure he would have signed for a flexible contract just to have been allowed to do this. To leave the guy hanging like this is just shameful.

Everyone loves-up to Kovalev, but he hardly showed his commitment to his "adopted" city when he signed for one of their division rivals. Kovy shows the true nature of the modern-day sportsman, as did Komisarek, it is all about the mighty $.

He may never deserve to have his number retired, but I hope they find a way of honouring a great man when he does hang up his skates for good.

He will go up into the rafters, mark my words.

How old are you? 12?

Koivu's number will NEVER be retired. He didn't do anything to warrant having his number retired!

Godo bye saku, thanks for some good memories, but you will be the ennemy next season!

Edited by Habsfan

I believe that he will end up in the rafters eventually. Remember, the legends from the Dynasty years have all had their jerseys retired, while the older ones are, sadly, going the way of all mortals. So in 15 years, if/when we have won hardly any (or no) further Cups, and have had no further true superstars to get excited about, sentimentality and the need to stage one of those wonderful events celebrating Habs' history will trump judgement. Also for young Habs' fans Saku is the greatest player they've had, and eventually they will form the critical mass of fans. It's not inevitable, but I'd give it a 60/40 chance.

I also believe that that will mark the final stage in the decline of the Montreal Canadiens from the magical thing it has been to being just another franchise.

Anyway - so long, Saks, I loved ya.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I believe that he will end up in the rafters eventually. Remember, the legends from the Dynasty years have all had their jerseys retired, while the older ones are, sadly, going the way of all mortals. So in 15 years, if/when we have won hardly any (or no) further Cups, and have had no further true superstars to get excited about, sentimentality and the need to stage one of those wonderful events celebrating Habs' history will trump judgement. Also for young Habs' fans Saku is the greatest player they've had, and eventually they will form the critical mass of fans. It's not inevitable, but I'd give it a 60/40 chance.

I also believe that that will mark the final stage in the decline of the Montreal Canadiens from the magical thing it has been to being just another franchise.

Anyway - so long, Saks, I loved ya.

No cups, no jersey retirement ceremony! Sorry, not with this franchise!!! Now that the molson's own the Habs once again, they understand what tradition means and they'll do nothing to disrupt that!

No cups, no jersey retirement ceremony! Sorry, not with this franchise!!! Now that the molson's own the Habs once again, they understand what tradition means and they'll do nothing to disrupt that!

Habsfan! Give it up! Your bias is showing. I have never witnessed anything like the night Koivu came back after cancer treatment. While I understand the business decision about not keeping Koivu it saddens me to see it end this way. Give credit where credit is due.

He didn't say that Koivu played with more heart than anyone else; he said no one played with more heart than Koivu. There is a difference there.

And I would say that both the Rocket and Koivu gave there all to the team -- Richard just had exceptional talent to go with the heart he showed.

Habsfan! Give it up! Your bias is showing.

WTF is that supposed to mean? My bias is showing? Your bias is showing as well!! You're a Koivu fan and I liked the guy, but Iwasn't convinced he was the "be all and end all" of this organization. I have seen way better players on this team not have their numbers retired. Just because he had cancer doesn't mean he should have his number retired.

Once again, No cups, no number retirement ceremony. All the players who have had their numbers retired have won cups with the Habs. It's a FACT!

Which Habs player in history has overcome more adversity than Koivu? Maybe that's a better way to frame it than who has the most 'heart.'

Once again I'll answer by saying Maurice Richard. He had to put up with near league-wide racism for the majority of his career. Koivu took trap in Montreal for next speaking French, Richard took crap everywhere else because he did. He had the pressure of being a true hero to the Quebecois people. He was used by French Canadians as a political figure for the advancement of pro-Quebecois movements.

I'm not trying to demean Koivu, here, not at all. I always liked the guy and even wore #11 because of him my senior year in high school. I just don't understand how some people can put him in the same sentence as the guys who are hanging in the rafters of the Bell Centre. No player aside from Patrick Roy has come close to approaching the level of greatness one needs to have his numbers retired. Maybe in a city like Columbus it would happen, but not in Montreal. When there are Hall of Famers whose numbers aren't hanging, it would be a travesty for Koivu's to do so. I predict they treat #11 as they did #21 when Carbo left, with a one year moratorium.

No Habsfan i am not 12, im just trying to put some positive in such a negative thread made by koivu bashers! Were supposed to be honoring this guy not crapping all over him comparing him to habs greats. I may have been a little overexcited when i said he will be retired but show the guy the respect he deserves. Kovalev gets 200 people at the bell centre and signs with the Senators, and Komisarek with the Laffs. Koivu would never do something so disastrous because he knows this city and know the backlash that would happen. He is what he is, if it were me I would have 200 people outside the Bell to get him back not the overpaid, underachevieing russian. Please guys, show some class!

Kovalev gets 200 people at the bell centre and signs with the Senators, and Komisarek with the Laffs. Koivu would never do something so disastrous because he knows this city and know the backlash that would happen.

I'm not so sure about that. If Burke or The GM in Ottawa were to offer Koivu a 4 year deal worht 16 million$, trust me, he'd jump on the opportunity! He wouldn't think twice about it!

Edited by Habsfan

sorry man i dont agree with you! He know unlike Komisarek that rivalries exist and i highly doubt that koivu would want to get booed by the city he loves. End of story