Would Koivu Betray the Habs and sign with Boston or Toronto

Koivu11

To Take or not to take  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would Koivu take the money or not?

• Yes
    • No

Since so many Habs are defecting to our rivals i though there should be a poll about....Koivu. Want to know what Habsworld thinks. I picked NO!

Since so many Habs are defecting to our rivals i though there should be a poll about....Koivu. Want to know what Habsworld thinks. I picked NO!

100% YES.

This is a business my friend, the sooner you realize this the better. The only difference is that on Bay Street they wear Prada whereas at 1260 De la Gauchetiere Ouest they wear Rbk.

100% YES.

This is a business my friend, the sooner you realize this the better. The only difference is that on Bay Street they wear Prada whereas at 1260 De la Gauchetiere Ouest they wear Rbk.

Agreed! Most people would jump at the chance of making that kind of money!

Doug Gilmour was the captain of the Leafs (and later had his number retired by them) and he signed in Montreal. Frank Mahovlich played for the Habs after playing for the Leafs. And let's face it, the rivalries with Toronto and Boston are more about the fans than the teams. I think the last two teams to really dislike each other were Colorado and Detroit in the mid-to-late nineties. With so much player movement these days, teams just don't develop that kind of dis-like towards other teams anymore. Therefore, I don't think Saku would have any problem with signing with either of those teams. I just don't think anyone other than fans would see it as a betrayal.

200% yes

And not to be OT, but I have that gut feeling that Tanguay is going to Boston or Toronto

The last rumours I heard said that his Agent was talking with the Coyotes!

I think Koivu will end up with the Sabers. :P

That would be most fitting and would lead to the most interesting division rivalries ever.

Kovy just signed with the Sens, so if Koivu joins the Sabers there will be an ex Habs on every division rival. ^_^

I think Koivu will end up with the Sabers. :P

That would be most fitting and would lead to the most interesting division rivalries ever.

Kovy just signed with the Sens, so if Koivu joins the Sabers there will be an ex Habs on every division rival. ^_^

Rivet is already the Sabres' captain... and Rivet is one of Saku's best friends. Then again, so is Recchi.

Yes, he would, but why would I either team handcuff themselves with that contract?

Boston already has serious cap problems and is going to be letting people go. They'd also be using Koivu on the third or fourth line. So why would they throw their money at him?

Toronto's rebuilding, I doubt they're really interested in him. Besides, they aren't even our rivals.

Anyone who's offered a contract by the Bruins should accept. They are a legit cup contender...

Tell that to Dandy! ^_^

At his age, for that money, he'd not only sign with anyone in the league, he'd also agree to a clause that requires him to play while wearing a cowboy hat and legally change his name to buckaroo.

But even ignoring the money and term, Koivu isn't thinking of "betraying" Montreal, he's thinking about where he's going to work this season. Montreal has nothing to do with his decision.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!

maybe.

as if I wasn't surprised already. this would really put me over the top!

I just hope he will join his brother...

Go MINNY Go!

How would Koivu be betraying the habs who didn't even offer him a contract???

It sucks to see Komi in Toronto, but if Bob Gainey wasn't such an idiot, Komi would have been signed last summer or fall.

I'm going to try not to get my hopes up too much, but depending on the cost, he'd be a great fit still I think on the 2nd line, especially if Plekanec wants too much. Sure, it's a short term stop-gap, but virtually every realistic option the Habs have is a short term stop-gap.

I would waaaaaaaaaaaay rather have Saks as a second centre than Plek. Saks Camm Kosty, Gomer Gio Lats.

I'm going to try not to get my hopes up too much, but depending on the cost, he'd be a great fit still I think on the 2nd line, especially if Plekanec wants too much. Sure, it's a short term stop-gap, but virtually every realistic option the Habs have is a short term stop-gap.
If he wants it so bad he can take 11 to 12 million over 4 years. Maybe a 9 m over 3 years. It'll fit. Barely though. There's very little wiggle room and Gainey will have to juggle the RFA's we still have. Three million is affordable. And Euro's get taxed less in Quevbec - I think. I know we all want a Lecavalier, Arnott or Getzlaf for a C and I know people will be upset that the size issue still has not been addressed at C if we sign Saku. But, if the money is right I'll take him back gladly. :hlogo:

I'd not be surprised if he was willing to come down to the $2M range.

That'd be amazing on his part, but I'd say the odds of that happening are slim. BUT then again, he was once interviewed by George Stroumboulopoulos if he would ever play for free if it meant that Montreal would win the cup. Without hesitation, Saku replied "yes".

Big right-handed centerman > Saku Koivu > Tomas Plekanec

Ad if the big right handed centerman can't be found, I'd like to see Chipchura and Metropolit learn how to play wing so they can create a tandem C option on the 4th line. A righty and a lefty centerman on the same line would be pretty cool, but that has nothing to do with the 2nd line.