Is Big Georges Still a Good Fit?

habs rule

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean a SOB that WINS fights and deters other players!

Good question tho ,,,, how mean can we get?...

Moen (needs to learn from Laraque how to stay balanced)

Laraque

Henry (my option for a 7th D and Optional tough guy on the wing) Needs to learn how to grab a Jersey

Mara mmm maybe .....(watch Gomez Cheering Mara after the fight)

Gill mmm maybe ....tends to throw down his opponents alot still ok by me

who else?

They need a healthy Laraque. He is a deterent, just because most won't fight him doesn't mean he doesn't try.

With the addition of Moen, the habs bottom lines are bigger and tougher and will (hopefully) stir up more physical play.

Someone mentioned he re injured his back again and may be done for a long period of time. He won't be ready for camp i read from someone on here.

So the key is he needs to be healthy, when healthy he is very effective.

Lats Lapierre Moen

Stewart Metropolit Laraque is a big and tough group.

With Laraque out, I guess Stewart Chipchura Metropolit gets the nod.

They are close on cap space but if Laraque s out, that is basically Moen's contrect.

Mara will drop then every now and again

i was ecstatic last pre season when bgl was signed. since then, he has morphed into a slow, injury plagued, polititcally correct agitator.we need someone who truly detests the other teams, who has a real snarl and bite to them. bgl seemed too friendly, especially to lucic. doubt that nilan or john ferguson would have been so kind.in my limited nhl world view, if you run the smaller skilled players,then you better be ready to throw down when big brother comes calling.ah but what the heck, the nhl is more like ice capades these days anyway.if bgl is not ready for the start of the season, then shut him down and get alex henry ready. we have to have some kind of backbone.

What a lot of you seem to be confused over is the fact that most enforcers whose job it is to fight are afraid to engage BGL. Just because there isnt a fight doesnt mean that BGL isnt a deterrent - thats the reason there isnt a fight because BGL sure is hell of a deterrent. Most players in the NHL are probably self conscious of hitting players from behind or running a goalie that happens to be a BGL teammate because they are afraid to fight him.

On multiple occasions when the other team were pushing around the Habs net last year I was able to read their lips when BGL skates over and it was always an almost identical thing said: "no f'n way". Sure there was no fight but the pushing ceased and desisted instantly and these players vacated the area ASAP when BGL came by. The tough guys are only interested in aggression against Markov, Gorges, etc. They know BGL would destroy them.

Personally I beleive that Carbo's biggest mistake was not knowing how or when to use BGL. Carbo seemed to decide to sit BGL if the other team didnt have a large enough guy or enforcer. The Habs season was ruined in 1 game in which BGL sat out. It seemed to me that the other teams were completely aware of BGL absence. I swear when the opening face offs happened the other teams would look around and be like "oh BGL isnt in this game, your not so tough now are ya" and they'd get their shots in while they could.

Sure with some of changes the Habs have gotten tougher. However the Habs still have quite a few players with some size that are incapable of winning fights on a regular basis. If BGL is used as a punching bag maybe this can be improved upon. I'm sure BGL could teach a bunch of them handy tips, like how to jockey positioning, whats a dominant stance/position, & how to maintain one, how to punch, pin their arm, free yours, etc. i.e. Gorges was dummied by Burgeron, Gui maybe big, but he punches more like a girl than a 220+ lbs man, Laps seems to workout and get bigger every off season and I dont recall seeing Laps get in a real fight but if he keeps getting closer to Moens size than he should learn how to.

Laps seems to workout and get bigger every off season and I dont recall seeing Laps get in a real fight

He fought against Max Talbot last year. Those two really hate each other!

I hated the GL signing last year - unbelievale to not only give $1.5m to a guy who can only fight - if he can actualy get someone to fight him, but also give him 3 yes with a limited NTC.

If gainey can dump him then he should dump him. All GL has done since he has been in Montreal is write how greatit is to be a vegetarion and other nonsense on his blog. IMO, he is just wasted cap space.

He fought against Max Talbot last year. Those two really hate each other!

I think Talbot took exception of Lapierre constant coward style. Although he's efficient I feel he needs to back up his yapping more often instead of waiting for George or a linesman to save his ass.

I hated the GL signing last year - unbelievale to not only give $1.5m to a guy who can only fight - if he can actualy get someone to fight him, but also give him 3 yes with a limited NTC.

If gainey can dump him then he should dump him. All GL has done since he has been in Montreal is write how greatit is to be a vegetarion and other nonsense on his blog. IMO, he is just wasted cap space.

BGL is a very good skater and it's very difficult to knock him off the puck. The main concern with him is his back, nothing else.

I think Talbot took exception of Lapierre constant coward style. Although he's efficient I feel he needs to back up his yapping more often instead of waiting for George or a linesman to save his ass.

AND.... he buttended Crosby in the gut. Talbot's not the kind of guy to forget that.

BGL is a very good skater and it's very difficult to knock him off the puck. The main concern with him is his back, nothing else.

I agree it is hard to knock him off the puck - the issue is he really can't do anything with it when has it.

Yes, he is not being paid to score. 4th liners get the puck deep, cycle, draw penalties, fight, change momentum, etc. That is exactly what he brings when he is healthy.

As i stated last year, having 17 puss### and 1 fighter isn't team toughness. This years team is way tougher and IMO will ACTUALLY stand up for eachother when needed. No more of this running Price then skating away.

Not only did BG add speed, talent and grit, he brought in character guys from winning teams. BGL rode shotgun on Crosby's line alot when healthy when thye went to the cup 2 years ago.

So when healthy, he is very vaulable.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an idea...., ask team scouts to find out what opposing teams had for lunch and dinner prior to the game... Add all the meat and fish these players ate and then make sure BGL knows that TEam X ate 20 cows 50 Chicken, 20 Going extinct Patagonian tooth fish etc!!! That should make him get on the mean side!!

Actually if last year was any indication that statement isnt entirely correct. Every game BGL played in the other teams werent as physical against the Habs. However in most games that BGL was in the pressbox the other teams physicality was highly increased because there was no BGL threat with him sitting in the pressbox. I can recall several games where the Habs were getting knocked around big time and every 1 of these games BGL was in the pressbox. I remember 1 game specifically where TB played way above their size and were taking runs at random at Habs players and the Habs had no response for it because TB knew BGL wasnt in the game.

You are right that BGL wont be needed every game to fight, but he truly has zero effect if he isnt even on the bench. If theres absolutely no possibility of BGL coming on the ice the next shit then he is no deterrent. BGL needs a roster spot in every game to be effective. If Martin chooses to send him out on the ice every game is a different matter. Martin always needs to have the BGL option available so if a player hurts a Habs player in any game BGL is always close by and can do something aboot it.

Totally agree here about playing BGL, and I too remember that TB game....it's the game that Tanguay got ran into the boards by their huge goon Artyukhin (6'4", 254 lbs) and injured his shoulder................I remember asking myself as Tanguay was being helped off the ice, "Isn't this why we signed BGL?"

Totally agree here about playing BGL, and I too remember that TB game....it's the game that Tanguay got ran into the boards by their huge goon Artyukhin (6'4", 254 lbs) and injured his shoulder................I remember asking myself as Tanguay was being helped off the ice, "Isn't this why we signed BGL?"

Yes I blamed Carbo for that one!!

big georges is a great guy, he is one of my favorites. he is funny, articulate, and does not take offence at insults thrown his way. Is that what we need? We are a much tougher team overall than last year and I think bob still has a thing or two in the hopper. I want a gilles lupien or pierre bouchard guys that struck fear into the heart of men. They did not smile ,giggle, or offer invitations. They kicked the crap out of you. And you feared the Habs :hlogo:

Yes I blamed Carbo for that one!!

Yep, how dare he give Tanguay ice time?

WTF? Are you serious?

How can you blame the coach for a goon running a player?

:rolleyes:

Yep, how dare he give Tanguay ice time?

WTF? Are you serious?

How can you blame the coach for a goon running a player?

:rolleyes:

It wasnt that Carbo was playing Tangs, it was that he kept sitting BGL.

If BGL had been in that game then TB wouldnt have been knocking the shit out of the Habs at random all game long. Didnt Lats get injured that game too? and I'm pretty sure 1 if not both Kostitsins got hurt (but not out, just nagging day to day injury) as well all in that 1 game solely because TB knew BGL was not in that game.

BGL doesnt have to play in every game, but he has to be on the bench so there is always the fear that if another team wants to be tough guys BGL is coming.

It wasnt that Carbo was playing Tangs, it was that he kept sitting BGL.

If BGL had been in that game then TB wouldnt have been knocking the shit out of the Habs at random all game long. Didnt Lats get injured that game too? and I'm pretty sure 1 if not both Kostitsins got hurt (but not out, just nagging day to day injury) as well all in that 1 game solely because TB knew BGL was not in that game.

BGL doesnt have to play in every game, but he has to be on the bench so there is always the fear that if another team wants to be tough guys BGL is coming.

lol yes Also Im assuming Nothing was wrong with BGL healthwise... But in my book this was strike number one for Carbo. sure it Tanguay wasnt the target yet the liberties that they took on the team was the POINT why Gainey got Laraque and he dealt for Tanguay. BG had to be pissed that night!

every team needs an enforcer. bgl is our nuclear deterrent.but i wish he had the snarl and mean spiritedness of a kordic or nilan.forget the invites with a lucic and just go to town on him, or anyone else who attempts to run the habs players. perhaps with moen, mara and stewart, ther will less pressure for bgl to be the sole provider of protection.i would still want him withe habs, but he HAS to come out of preseason healthy. he never really got it going last year.

Fortunately, we now have Gill, Mara and Moen who will stand up for the teammates and aren't always so nice and smilie. Laraque doesn't have much use for us anymore except for 1) intimidation factor and 2) staged fights against other heavyweights

Fortunately, we now have Gill, Mara and Moen who will stand up for the teammates and aren't always so nice and smilie. Laraque doesn't have much use for us anymore except for 1) intimidation factor and 2) staged fights against other heavyweights

i agree but he takes up 1.5 million on the roster so maybe it is hasta la vista time baby.

When healthy Laraque is a worthwhile hockey player. We saw glimpses of it in the playoffs, but unfortunately he was only in preseason form at that point due to all the injuries. Of the forwards on the team (without knowing Moen's playing style), Laraque's the one with the greatest ability to muscle the puck to the net. Latendresse should be, but isn't yet. A puck protecting, heavyweight enforcer with the ability to run a good cycle and not be moved from the front of the net has his use on any hockey team. If we get that player, and not the oft-injured bear-on-skates routine like last season, then we're golden.

I'm not ready to call for his head after one bad season due to injury. It's a free pass in my book. Let's see what he can do this season first.