MAK

Gomez:91

GIonta: 21

GIll: 75

Moen: 32

Mara: 22

Spacek:6

Cammalerri: 13

GIll: couldn't get 2 so decided to switch to 75...wtf ??

And now you know !

now the new and improved version

Edited by marky_and_komi

Gomez:91

GIonta: 14

GIll: 75

Moen: 32

Mara: 22

Spacek:6

Cammalerri: 13

Plekanec: 21 an hommage to Higgins ??

GIll: couldn't get 2 so decided to switch to 75...wtf ??

And now you know !

yeh, i thought Gill would go back to #25.

Thanks for the info. I'll update my NHL09 accordingly.

75 is bad. I don't like it. He took it because he's born in 1975.

Plekanec is keeping 14, Gionta picked # 21

As long as no one is taking the following jinxed numbers, we should be fine :

15 (samsonov)

95 (berezin)

82 (audette)

I would put the 27 up there for Czerkawski, but Kovalev totally unjinxed it.

Numbers like 91 are snazzy, but other than that I hate football-player numbers. Gill's 75 stinks. Kudos to Spacek for taking a classic D-man # in 6 :clap: ; I'm a bit surprised Cammalerri takes unlucky 13, unless it's worked for him before, but it shows a ballsy lack of interest in superstition, or else an even ballsier willingness to slap superstition in the face! With moxy like that, this Cammalerri kid is gonna be just fine. ^_^

Numbers like 91 are snazzy, but other than that I hate football-player numbers. Gill's 75 stinks. Kudos to Spacek for taking a classic D-man # in 6 :clap: ; I'm a bit surprised Cammalerri takes unlucky 13, unless it's worked for him before, but it shows a ballsy lack of interest in superstition, or else an even ballsier willingness to slap superstition in the face! With moxy like that, this Cammalerri kid is gonna be just fine. ^_^

13 is a quintessentially christian community superstition* - and nowadays the aversion to 13 is more predominant in the north american christian community. Cammalleri is Jewish (yay!!!) and is as such apparently unburdened. Speaking for myself - and I'd bet you'd hear the same from other Jewish people on the board - I never got the unlucky 13 thing. Hey, I got my best presents on my 13th birthday!

*obviously not part of the christian religion, just more predominant in christian-majority communities.

75 is bad. I don't like it. He took it because he's born in 1975.

Plekanec is keeping 14, Gionta picked # 21

As long as no one is taking the following jinxed numbers, we should be fine :

15 (samsonov)

95 (berezin)

82 (audette)

I would put the 27 up there for Czerkawski, but Kovalev totally unjinxed it.

Metropolit wears #15.

I think Gill wore #75 when he first came into the league, BTW. I've seen him wear that number before, it obviously stuck out.

Made sense, though. I know there were rumors tossed about that Gionta would get #14 from Plex.

I guess he didnt want to pay for it... :lol:

I guess he didnt want to pay for it... :lol:

Plex: "So, will we be doing the usual gold watch or steak dinner for #14 trade?"

Gionta: "Are you ######ing nuts?!?!? I'm ONLY making 5 million for the next 5 seasons! One must scrimp, you know"

Cammalleri is Jewish? amazing, now he's definitely my favourite Habs. :-D

His mom is Jewish and his dad is Italian!

Which means, in the Jewish tradition, he is definitely Jewish (they follow maternal lineage).

"The More You Know"

Actually reform Judaism now also recognizes Paternal Judaism as well.

"The more you know" :)

Why is 75 a bad number? Why is any number considered bad?

all these hockey purists who don't like taking off their shoes and socks to count up to their favourite player's number.

Actually reform Judaism now also recognizes Paternal Judaism as well.

"The more you know" :)

and the bastard Nazi's recognized it from any line.. as long as you were not more than a 1/4 jewish u were spared from the camps. Why did I bring this horrible part of history up?

High-end numbers look wank.

Anything above 40, except for goalies (and #s 99 and 66), sucks. 75 and 91, fer crissakes...oh well, I guess if I was making 2to 5 million a year, I'd pick any number I wanted.

Any other people with 'cursed' numbers? As in, is there a number worn by a bad player you can't get out of your head? #8, despite Komisarek, screams Alfie Turcotte for me.

75 is just an ugly and gaudy number to have on the back of your jersey. It isn't stylish. It has a big wing span though, maybe it'll look good on a giant like Gill.

91 is fine.

as long as you were not more than a 1/4 jewish u were spared from the camps.

i think this information is wrong. but it has nothing relevant to the thread at hand.

go habs go!

Edited by fromage

I think the fans who dislike the high numbers is because now even the players dogs have high numbers. Back in the good ole days only super stars had numbers over 30 and now every nobody seems to have a high number. You used to be able to see a high number and know that player was really good or they wouldnt have such a high number. Everybody knows who used these numbers: 99, 91, 88, 77, 68, 66, etc.

Also like one person said about Spacek picking 6 as being a good dmans number. That no longer seems to apply which would also frustrate hockey purists. Back in the day you could tell what position a player was just by his number and that time is long gone now because of all 40+ numbers in use.

Theres not many teams like the Habs that have so many retired numbers that the majority of teams couldnt have all their numbers below 30 or at least under 40. I'm pretty sure even the Habs could get under 40. However now all the teams seem to have numerous guys in the 50-90's for no apparent reason.

Personally i dont really care either way, but it would probably be better and easier for the average fan if they tried to keep the higher numbers reserved for the more elite players and the lower ones to specific positions for regular players.