2005-2006 Habs Lineup

puck7x

Lets look forward to next season, and what our team will look like....

Zednik - Koivu - ????

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

???? - Begin - Ward

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Komisarek (injured)

Bouillon - Brisebois

Theodore

Huet

This is what we know RIGHT NOW. But we have a few question marks... First of all Dagenais, I'm not 100% certain, but I think he has to remain in Switzerland till the end of the Swiss season (sometime in mid-march) , and Komisarek has still not recovered from his hip injury. When will he be ready to return? What about our depth? its weak... What about Kovalev? Will we sign him? What about Ryder? He's still a UFA. What about Perezhogin? I've heard that he will come over for training camp... What about the other prospects? Who makes it? Who doesnt?

Considering all those things, here is my guess at the lineup...

Zednik - Koivu - Perezhogin

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Plekanec/Higgins - Begin - Ward

EXTRA: Plekanec/Higgins, Ivanans

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Komisarek

Bouillon - Brisebois

Extra: Hainsey (barf! :puke::puke::puke: )

Theodore

Huet

Its not the prettiest lineup. I'd still like to sign an extra depth forward, a crash-bang type for the bottom lines, along with another solid D-man, I hate the idea of Bouillon being a top-6 and Hainsey being the spare defender, maybe we can sign Zhitnik or Schneider. I'll take Kovalev back if he takes a big paycut, I say screw him... The habs offered him big money and he rejected the offer. His loss.

:ghg:

*** IF THE SEASON IS SAVED

Edit: Changed to a 2005-2006 lineup thread, lol

2nd Edit: Since its 05-06, I forgot to mention that Brisebois will be a UFA. But the habs will probably re-sign him on the cheap.

[Edited on 2005-4-15 by puck7x]

It feels great to finally be back to prediction who will be in the lineup and who will not be. woupiiii!:ghg:

as of now: Zednik - Koivu - ????

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

???? - Begin - Ward

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Komisarek (injured)

Bouillon - Brisebois

Theodore

Huet

It all depends on what approach management take to the team. The habs have 17 players signed at a 24% rollbacked payroll of roughly 28M. So that leave about 7M of free room for 6 players. Does Gainey and Co. want to just play through this season to let the players regain chemistry and cohesivenous. This will allow the team to see the progress and development of the organization's players. Therefore, only relying on the in-house supply of players resulting in a lineup looking somewhat liek this:

Hossa koivu Zednick

Dags Ribeiro Ryder

Plekanec Bonk Bulis

Higgins Begin Ward

Hamiltion Tough Guy (Forgot his name...) and Sundstrom

Markov Rivet

Souray Komisarek

Bouillon Brisebois

Hainsey

Theodore

Huet

Or, will Gainey and Co. try to continue to build from last year's progression and build the team as if it would be a full/normal regular season. In which case who would most probably look to add/trade certain players.

Possible intersting UFA's: Carter, Murray, Demitra, Kovelov, Kariya, Selanne, Allison, Finley, klemm, Zhitnik, Numminen, Therien

My guess: hard look at Kovelov, and if not then murray, and as a third choice a cheaper carter

also, a veteran defensemen like klemm, numminen, to finish the season with us.

Now my lineup: add 4 hamilton players at an avg. salary (rollbacked) of around 625 000 (don' t know exact numbers, don' t really wanna look for them either lol)

and add two ufas: kovelov this year for a pro-rated 4M, roughly 1. 6M. Reason to give him a 4m number for this season is that it could entice him to take the other years since a higher number gives him a higher "real salary" (then 3.5M a year afterwards for 2 years plus some kind of option)

add a vet for 5-6 hundred grande and there's the lineup:

zednick Koivu Kovelov

Dags Ribeiro Ryder

Hossa Bonk Bulis

Plekanic Begis Ward

Tough Guy Sundstrom

Markov Rivet

Souray Brisebois

Komi Veteran

bouillon

theo

huet

Note: I did not consider any europe clause in this anaylsis....and one last note......for this season, at least.......COME ON CHEAP(er) TICKETS!

My projected lineup:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Plekanec-Begin-Ward

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Hainsey

Bouillon - Brisebois

Theo

Huet

My two reserve forwards would be Morgan and Ivanans. I don't want to bring Higgins up just to sit in the pressbox, and I think Morgan could be a decent spot starter. I only have Hainsey there for Komi's injury, and I would hope that Gainey would bring in a FA till kick Hainsey out of the top 6. I would LOVE it if the Habs could sign Kovalev/Murray and Schneider.

I am sure Hossa will be on the roster out of camp, as they are gonna give him his final chance to prove himself, just as they did with Ribeiro. They will not want to put Hossa on waivers in order to send him down. I guess there's a chance he could just stay over in Europe though.

By the way puck, Ryder is a RFA, not an UFA.

[Edited on 2-19-05 by Fanpuck33]

My guess:

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev (If he's signed)

Hossa/Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Morgan/Ivanans/Someone from the Bulldogs - Begin - Ward

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Brisebois

Bouillon - Dykhuis (Komisarek is injured or else it's his spot).

Theodore

Huet

Hossa would play if Dagenais signed a deal that would keep him in Europe.

I doubt Kovalev will be back.

The 13 forwards I can see the Habs going with are:

Koivu

Zednik

Ryder

Bonk

Ribeiro

Dageanis

Bulis

Sundstrom

Higgins

Plekanec

Ward

Begin

and MAYBE Hossa (if they can get him over)

Markov

Souray

Briesbois

Rivet

Bouillon

Hainsey

Dykhuis I guess since Komisarek is injuried.

Theodore and Huet.

Zednik Koivu Perezhogin

Bonk Ribeiro Ryder

Bulis Plekanec Ward

Begin Higgins Sundstrom

Markov Rivet

Souray Komisarek

Bouillon Brisebois

Theodore

Huet

Would have been interesting,

*sight*... no hockey this year. we have to forget it.

:(

I love talkin lineups and wondering....

for another year...:(

but back to hockey talk.

To: puck7x

do you really think that Perez. is top line material right now. I see his skill set as top notch ( or will be ) but his size as the only problem. Can it take the top line punishment and still make the play.

EXTRA: Plekanec/Higgins ( i agree but where?) neither has the seasoning to be top line so who does that leave us? Bulis maybe? can he streak and feed the Z man crashin the net? Not Hossa either... 3rd liner until he gets his feet wet...

I also think Hainsey's stock has fallen so far that extra might even be a stretch.

I think that we have some great talent to be brought up btu the shuffel will be at more that simple plug and play. Some of the pieces do not look like the others... ;)

fanpuck33 and Tony mentioned Morgan.... I thought he retired with post concussion or neck injury earlier this year?

Basically, we need a kovalev or someone like him. Bigger, able and dangerous enough to take pressure off Koivu and leave him free to be deadly again.

SO, who is it going to be.... because it has to be a big gun.

[Edited on 2005/2/25 by Cadian]

Originally posted by Cadian

To: puck7x

do you really think that Perez. is top line material right now. I see his skill set as top notch ( or will be ) but his size as the only problem. Can it take the top line punishment and still make the play.

Yes, I do think so. Andre Savard agrees, he's said over and over that Perezhogin is our most NHL ready prospect. I've seen a couple of Perezhogin games this year (all-star games though) he looked good. He deserves the chance to win the spot anyways, I think he can.

EXTRA: Plekanec/Higgins ( i agree but where?) neither has the seasoning to be top line so who does that leave us? Bulis maybe? can he streak and feed the Z man crashin the net? Not Hossa either... 3rd liner until he gets his feet wet...

What? What do you mean by "Seasoning" , cause Plekanec has gotten PLENTY of seasoning in the AHL, he's been there 3 years (2 long playoff runs in there also) , Higgins has spent 2 years on the farm. Both of them are ready to move up from what I've seen. It sounds like your afraid of using unproven NHL players? But the only way they can prove themselves is if they are given the chance to play.

I also think Hainsey's stock has fallen so far that extra might even be a stretch.

I agree, quite frankly Hainsey blows. But look at our depth chart, look at our prospects on D... We have nobody else, Hainsey is our #7 D, like it or not (maybe a case could be made for Cote)... until we sign someone better.

fanpuck33 and Tony mentioned Morgan.... I thought he retired with post concussion or neck injury earlier this year?

Basically, we need a kovalev or someone like him. Bigger, able and dangerous enough to take pressure off Koivu and leave him free to be deadly again.

Your thinking of Benoit Duslablon... (spelling might be off)

as far as I understand his injury, komisarek will certainly be back in time for the next time the nhl is back in session. Not much point using Hainsey as 7th man - he either has full-time potential or ship him out. If we could bring in a top-four defenseman via FA that would be the best, boullion is the ultimate utility defenseman. Solid enough to place convincing, tough minutes when needed, but you'll never worry about him festering in the press-box throwing away his potential.

I think kovalev will be back, but if you are gonna stick current habs into the line slots, you have to put ryder on the top line. There is no way that perezhogin takes that spot from ryder...

Ryder aint going nowhere with that RFA status.

[Edited on 2/25/2005 by simonus]

Originally posted by simonus

as far as I understand his injury, komisarek will certainly be back in time for the next time the nhl is back in session.

Oops. I started this thread last weekend when it looked like the 04-05 season could be saved, the thread was titled "04-05 lineup" ... When it became clear the season would not be saved I changed it to "05-06". Thats why I wrote that for Komisarek. He'll definitely be back for 05-06, he'll be back in 2 weeks.

Perezhogin... I saw him during Sweden Hockey Games and I think he was one of the better players for Russia. And that was on a team that had both Kovalev and Kovalchuck! He will make it. But I'm not so sure that having him with Koivu and Zednik will be that great. I think he plays a lot like Zednik.

Boullion has a great year in Sweden. He and Ryders rocks in Leksand.

I've heard that Jan Bulis has been great. Maybe having him on the second line with Ribs and Ryder?

Niklas Sundström signed with Habs. That was a surprise. I know that he can a lot more than he has been showing.

I want Kovalev back. Just remember the goals he scored in the World Cup and everybody soon realize that we want him back!

These are my thoughts...

Zednik Koivu

Ribeiro Ryder

Bulis Bonk Sundstrom

Begin Ward

Ivanus

Markov Rivet

Souray Komisarek

Bouillon Brisebois

Theo

Huet

I think that Perezhogin, Hossa, and Plekanec are likely to stick with the team next year. Of couse a lot can happen over this time so this is all speculation. I think that Perezhogin will likely fill in on the left side (he's strong on both sides from what I hear). Bulis will start the season off on the second line, but I think one of the rookies will work into the position as the season progresses. I love Bulis, but I think he's a great third liner and a below average second liner. I'm confident Hossa will stick. I'm not sure what kind of role he will finally settle into, but I think he will prove valuable in the future...maybe its just a dream. I think Gainey will make every effort to resign Kovalev....otherwise the deal to bring him here wouldn't have been worth it. Also, if he's not going to try to build on last years success, the Bonk/Garon deal was rushed. It seems like Gainey wants this team to continue its progression up the standings.

I would also give Hossa, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins a chance at the training camp ... I'm sure we'll see one of these guys with the HABS next season. Especially Plekanec should be able to get a spot with the big team ... he has already experience from the Czech Extraliga and right now he's the best player available from the AHL. For e.g. Kostitsyn, Perezhogin or also Higgins might have the better talent but I think that Plekanec is the most developed player in Hamilton.

Kovalev would be a nice addition and I also think that Gainey will do everything to sign him to a new contract.

BTW. What about Jim Dowd? I'd like to have him back with the team too ... great role player, though he's already a bit old (35?).

PS.: Can we move Hainsey for Phaneuf? :P;)

I would also like to see Dowd come back as an extra skater. We already have Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk, and Begin at C, so I don't see him starting, which he probably wouldn't like. I would love to have a vet like him ready and waiting. He's not as good as Perreault on faceoffs, but he makes up for it with his intensity and grit.

I like Dowd as well. I thought he was pretty solid in a Habs jersey. I DID wish Perrault took that defensive zone faceoff he lost to Boston that led to an OT loss last spring, but nobody's gonna win them all (not even Perrault ;)). Anyway, this guy has his name on the cup already and surely brings some things that a young team can use. I hope they sign him.

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

Bonk-Ribeiro-Perezhogin

Higgins-Bulis-Sundstrom

Plekanec-Begin-Ward

Markov-Brisebois

Souray-Komisarek

Bouillon-Rivet

I'd then try to sign Kovalev and then sign or trade for a top notch d-man for the left side.

That would then make:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Perezhogin

Plekanec-Begin-Sundstrom

Ward/Hossa as the extra...

Markov-Brisebois

Souray-Komisarek

FA-Rivet

Bouillon

That would give us 3 really good D lines that we could cycle through nicely. We'd have real good scoring punch through our top 3 lines, solid size and lines 2-4 would all be strong defensively.

If salaries do get rolled back for next year, and a cap is in place around 42 million then we should be able to easily take on two impact type players and still be under the cap.

The year after that I think we'd see Kosty ready and he'd slide into the 3rd line with Bonk and Perezhogin...which would potentially be a crazy good line.

• 2 weeks later...

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Yeah, so Kovalev isn't currently signed. Shoot me. I want him back.

I love Bulis. I really do. I'd love Bulis on the second line... but the guy just can't find the back of the net like he should with the opportunities he creates, so I am resigned to put Dagenais in his place.

Dagenais-Ribiero-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Perezhogin

Ward-Begin-Sundstrom

I love the options the Habs have. Maybe move Perezhogin up to the second line. Bring in Hossa and bump Ward to an extra skater for a bit. If Sunny starts to suck again, perhaps he is given a break and they bring in Plekanec for a few games. Trade a forward for a defenceman, there's a lineup of guys to take his place. Hot damn! I love the depth on this team!

Souray-Komisarek (good for Komi's development)

Markov-Rivet (I can't be the only one that is neither impressed nor unimpressed with Rivet. He just seems to fade into the artwork, though that's not necessarily a bad thing)

Brisebois-Boullion

...we need D help...

Huet

Theodore

...just kidding! Theo #1, Huet backup :/)

Any comments? Insults?

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

I would also like to see Dowd come back as an extra skater.  We already have Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk, and Begin at C, so I don't see him starting, which he probably wouldn't like.  I would love to have a vet like him ready and waiting.  He's not  as good as Perreault on faceoffs, but he makes up for it with his intensity and grit.

I like Dowd too, but I doubt he would come back as a part timer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody... hope its not to late to post something and recieve reply- I love talkin' lineups!!

I've taken a slightly more radical approach, for (friendly)arguments sake, so I'd love to hear feedback... I've attempted brief explanations of some of my more controversial choices, enjoy, for what they're worth...

Zednik - Koivu- Selanne

Higgins - Ribeiro - Ryder

Perezoghin - Bonk - Sundstrom

Ward - Begin - Hossa

Scratch: Ivanans

Markov - Souray

Brisebois - Komisarek

Rivet - Hainsey

Scratch: Boullion

Theodore

Huet

1st Line Addition: I can see Gainey addressing a reliable goalscoring need as long as it won't cost him an arm and a leg. This will shock most but I'd truly like to see (an affordable) Selanne/Kovalev playing with Koivu. I also think Gainey realizes that last seasons acquisition of Kovalev has set '1st line expectations' higher. Someone to keep Kostsitsyn's seat warm!!

I love Plekanec, I think he's severly underrated, I also think his timing couldn't be worse- Habs are laden with offensive youth that is more physically capable and with higher ceilings. Will likely be moved.

Kelly Hrudey said it best on HNIC during Tampa series last May "I love Bulis, I really do, but the guy struggles to find the net." Regardless of the other youth, I think if Plekanec stays Bulis maybe gone- his stock is high around the league.

I think Ryder will struggle this year if not played with Koivu. However, I think Ribeiro would struggle more centering 2 rookies. One of these 2 is due for a 'sophomore' slump.

Is Hainsey born again after being rejoined by Komisarek in Hamilton? I truly believe pairing him with the also offensive minded Daley was a mistake. We've invested alot in the guy, I'm an optimist and I don't think he's licked yet!

I think Rivet is a great mentor and tireless worker but I think he will be improved upon. I think 1 of 2 long-time, life-time, d-line Habs will be dealt (Rivet or maybe even Brisebois). Not right away per say but- No doubt- there is room for improvement amoung this current group.

Huet and Bonk was a great move. Garon will be good but backup goaltending doesn't win Stanley Cups.

Man am I looking forward to seeing Danis with another year of AHL exp. under his belt.

Gone will be Dagenais, Dowd (I'd like to see him stay but he's not a 'reserve forward'), Perreault, Dykhuis.

Well that's it I guess. I tend to be very long-winded, I've tried to keep it short. A couple of critisisms... awfully young, (I'd hate to see the Bulldogs roster). Also adding a high profile guy like Selanne/Kovalev may be tough given CBA restrictions.

No doubt whoever lines up as a habs once the season gets under way will have my support. Go Habs Go!

HaliHab:hlogo:

Hey HaliHab, great message for a 1st post! By the way, welcome to HW and tell your bro to join too :)

Few comments about your post;

- I think Selanne is a more probable option than Kovalev. I'd like to have him back. Selanne is a worst case scenario (I hope who won't get anything less than him! Ouch)

- Ryder and Ribeiro sophomore years were supposed to be this year.. so they better not have a 3rd year lethargy! By the way, Ryder is having a terrific year in Sweden in what would be his sophomore year. He's one of the best players in Sweden right now. I guess he'll be even better next year than he was in his rookie year.

- Bulis is proving he can score: 45GP 24G 25A 49Pts 113pim +22 in his hometown in Cz Rep. I still believe he has his place here in MTL. He can play very well his defensive role, and if needed, can replace injured teammates on the top lines.

- If we are too desperate and need to put Higgins on the 2nd line, I'd see Bonk moving on the left wing before and fill the spot. I'd see Perezhogin ahead of Higgins as well

- I hope as well that Hainsey is rebounding for good. We'll see if he can show some constency and seriousness.

I agree with HaliHab, the expectations for a true first liner have been set. Now the deal will be to fill them. I really think some more size is in order (Kov. was a good choice) but Selanne (who has said he would like to play with Koivu) might be a bit too inconsistant.

- sakiqc is correct ( I hope as well that Hainsey is rebounding for good. We'll see if he can show some constency and seriousness) Hainsey seems to need someone big to back him up in the zone so he can be comfortable and not get caught pinching. He might work as the 7th man in as Boullion has seemed to prove his spot. Another year and we will have a replacement for Breeze-by. (maybe)

1st liner... who else is potentially available that fits the bill?? (both $$ and skill)

*discuss amoungst yourselves....*