Alouettes News 2005

dlbalr

Not a bad opening game by any stretch. The defense pretty well shut down the Ti-cats offense, as all of their TDs came from either special teams or defense.

AC looked shaky in the first half if you ask me, but he zoned in by the 3rd and had a solid game.

Stala looked great at times but he had a couple drops and a fumble.

The secondary, which i think is the weakest part of the team on paper, did rather well, although who knows what will happen when they face a real quarterback.

Alot of dropped balls, and crappy special teams by the Als (they allowed a punt return for a TD, yikes). AC had a good opening game, and the INT wasnt his fault.

We really should of been able to beat Hamilton alot easier, and if Caliv/Vaughn were in the lineup, and we didnt have bad luck (like that INT returned for a TD) we probably would have.

Originally posted by Quebecois

Not a bad opening game by any stretch. The defense pretty well shut down the Ti-cats offense, as all of their TDs came from either special teams or defense.

Yeah only 7 pts, no majors, allowed by the D... good job.

If not for those 2 shitty TDs we gave them, and us not quite being in synch on offense... this is a blowout.

AC looked shaky in the first half if you ask me, but he zoned in by the 3rd and had a solid game.

Yeah, especially with many not too experienced receivers... I expected a slow start. Like you said he really got into a groove in the 2nd half, and if not for some dropped balls and the Stala fumble it should have been even better.

Stala looked great at times but he had a couple drops and a fumble.

I love this guy, espcially for a Canadian... he's our replacement for when Cahoon leaves IMO.

He'll get better, more consistant, with time.

The fumble unforgiveable though, nursing a lead late in the game... protect the damn ball.

The secondary, which i think is the weakest part of the team on paper, did rather well, although who knows what will happen when they face a real quarterback.

Seemed similar to last year... in that the other team made quite a few plays against them, but they would clamp down as the opponent got near the red zone.

But yeah, EDM and especially BC will be the true test.

And I was pretty pissed at Giligan for dropping that pass on the INT that was returned for a TD... but then I learned he actually got he shoulder seperated on the previous play when he was hit hard.

Just to stay on the field, he's one tough cookie.

Montreal lost slotback Tim Gilligan for the next four-to-six weeks with a separated shoulder, but have veteran Terry Vaughn returning from a toe injury for a game next week in Ottawa.

[Edited on 23-6-05 by Habs77]

Well, it wasn't the best of games, but it was the first one, so it's understandable. The one thing that I found sort of strange, is that it didn't have the "feel" of the Alouettes, even though I know their roster well, it still seemed weird seeing guys like Crutchfield and Whitley making the tackles, instead of Miles, Curry (on inactive list) and company. And on offence, it was even stranger, with Watkins and Gilligan receiving. It'll go away in time I'm sure, but it just seemed strange. Anyways, my thoughts...

- Neither RB really stood out, Lapointe had his standard game, but I was hoping for more from Lewis, seeing as how he beat out Jenkins for the job. Personally, I want to see Jenkins activated, but he isn't 100%, and hasn't been through camp, so that may be a while yet. (There is no way the Als pay him 6 figures to sit on the "practice roster," they play him or trade him for something else, I prefer the former.) That being said, the 2 combined gathered over 100 yds, can't complain about that.

- Calvillo had another "typical game," he didn't really stand out all that well, yet still threw for over 340 yds. Imagine if Cavil and Vaughn are in for Gilligan and Watkins, yee haw.

- Secondary played well, didn't allow too many significant gains, except for McManus' pass that got him to 2nd overall in passing yards. Calvillo, if he has a fairly strong season, should be 4th by year's end on that list. Speaking of records, glad to see Cahoon break the record for most catches by an Alouette (500).

- Glad to see they retired Pringle's number, I loved the ceremony, even though TSN showed very little of it...and only because it ran late.

- Duval worried me after missing an automatic FG within 25, but he played fairly well, making 3 of 4, and looked pretty good punting the ball.

1 down, 17 more to go for the regular season. Go Als!

Originally posted by dlbalr

- Neither RB really stood out, Lapointe had his standard game, but I was hoping for more from Lewis, seeing as how he beat out Jenkins for the job.  Personally, I want to see Jenkins activated, but he isn't 100%, and hasn't been through camp, so that may be a while yet.  (There is no way the Als pay him 6 figures to sit on the "practice roster," they play him or trade him for something else, I prefer the former.)  That being said, the 2 combined gathered over 100 yds, can't complain about that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them release Jenkins after a few weeks... and for Edwards to eventually be the featured back.

Imagine if Cavil and Vaughn are in for Gilligan and Watkins, yee haw.

I think it will be Cavil & Vaughn in... Giligan & Stala out.

Watkins is our new speed guy to stretch the defenses (like Anderson used to), and he did better than Giligan & Stala vs. Hamilton.

dlbalr edit: Fixing quote codes.

[Edited on 2005/6/25 by dlbalr]

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Als recovered nicely. I actually missed this game, but after seeing the highlights, Ezra Landry and the special teams unit have to be the heros of this game.

Anyone have any comments on the game? How did Vaughan do in his second game as an Al? How did the secondary look?

Looks like the Als recovered nicely. I actually missed this game, but after seeing the highlights, Ezra Landry and the special teams unit have to be the heros of this game.

Calvillo & the offense were horrible... didn't do a thing all night.

They managed 1 TD after the defense got them the ball with an INT, and even then they made it happen only thanks to a long pass interference penaly.

And they did a good job or turning right around with Calvillo throwing an INT on our own 5 yd line to give the TD right back.

Man they stunk... very reminiscent of every big game the Als have played in the last 5 years... if the defence & special teams don't bail us out, the offense sure ain't gonna do it.

Anyone have any comments on the game? How did Vaughan do in his second game as an Al? How did the secondary look?

Vaugh caught maybe a couple, but the whole offense was barely on the field most of the game... I can't count the number of 2-&-outs.

We started with a 1st and 5 at one point, ran twice and didn't make it... it was ugly.

EDM went through our defense like butter the first 2 drives... 14-0 just like that.

Then when it looked like they were going to do it a 3rd time, the defence finally showed signs of life with consecutive sacks by Phillion & Stewart.

Our offense followed with another 2-&-out... and EDM came roaring again, only Hervey dropped an easy one where he was wide open... EDM had to go for the FG.

They miss the FG, Landry returns it for a TD... and it's a whole new ball game.

From that point on our defence stood their ground, Landry returned another one, and Duval kept making long FGs.... while the offense just stood there and did nothing.

The offense was truly pathetic.

The Alouettes have acquired OF Linemane Dave Mudge from the Bombers in exchange for a prospect/picks. Pretty good trade for the Als, picking up one of the best O-lineman in the league (former lineman of the year winner) ..... Total salary dump by WPG.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=130162

Btw: As for the Als "average" start to the season I wouldnt worry, look whats happened the past 5-6 years... The Als used to always start 6-0 or something, but then they had the late season slump and the playoff collapse. Maybe this year we're going to start slow and finish strong instead? Wishful thinking? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Really exciting game last night, just another bad result for the Als. This defense is just not looking right. Johnson was out of position a couple of times that led to big runs by Roberts and the offsides were happening way too much.

On the bright side, the offense looked great, put up a ton of points and really dominated in the second half.

This year has a much different feel than the usual Alouette season, we'd better reverse our usual ways and come on strong in the second half or we can kiss the east division title goodbye.

Originally posted by puck7x

The Als have traded WR Kwame Cavil to the Esks for DL Clinton Wayne..

Surprises me a bit, though the Als obviously need help on D. I liked Kavil, oh well

Matthews is not the type to tolerate his players making cheap shots like poking an opponent in the eye... plus we needed to move someone to make room for Stala full-time.

And we sure need all the help we can get on defense... a non-import no less, althought I have no clue how good he truly is.

Problem is that we are now pretty thin at receiver, if the injury bug bites... Cavil & Giligan are now out of the picture.

Our first backup is now Owen Wilson I believe.

Saskatchewan will be another good test... we could very well fall to 2-4.

Is Stala going to replace Cahoon? Shiitty luck to fall on your own arm and fracture elbow and wrist. I hope Ben is back soon... he's one of my favorite players.

• 2 months later...

Well time to start up the Als talk again. Anyone catch the finish of the game against BC? Calvillo was clutch late, something i'm not entirely used to seeing out of him.

Hopefully this year we do the opposite of our usual, as we usually start strong and finish weak. 4 wins in a row, maybe we've seen our last loss of the season already!

Well time to start up the Als talk again. Anyone catch the finish of the game against BC? Calvillo was clutch late, something i'm not entirely used to seeing out of him.

Hopefully this year we do the opposite of our usual, as we usually start strong and finish weak. 4 wins in a row, maybe we've seen our last loss of the season already!

This was an exciting game. BC can can really rack up the points and I see another problem there with the two quarterback system. I remember reading BC fan garbage that they will go undefeated.

The last 46 second drive was classic! Take the team down the field and a few seconds left deliver the ball for the win. The T-Dot / Winnipeg game was excellent too, as it was so close. Als are putting it together at the right time of the year and Edwards is looking awesome. Not like last year when the running game was a big question mark.