F1 2005 Season Thread

puck7x

The F1 season gets underway this weekend in Australia.

One of the big changes this year is qualifying. Instead of it being one lap on Saturday its now a lap on saturday + a lap on Sunday. Lowest combined time wins.

JV got pretty lucky on today in the first QF session. He took his lap RIGHT before it started to rain (it rained hard). All JV needs to do tomorrow is drive a good safe 2nd GF lap, and he'll guarantee himself at least 7th place on the grid.... Or JV could go for it, and try for a top-4 spot, but risk spinning out or something stupid.

Notice Michael at the bottom. :D He had to qualify right when it started to pour... Not that it matters though, he'll still easily win another drivers title this year :(

P. No Driver Team - Engine Tyres Times Ave/Gaps

1. 6 FISICHELLA Renault M 1'33"171 204.901 Km/h

2. 16 TRULLI Toyota M 1'35"270 + 0'02"099

3. 7 Weber Williams BMW M 1'36"717 + 0'03"546

4. 11 VILLENEUVE Sauber Petronas M 1'36"984 + 0'03"813

5. 15 KLIEN RedBull Cosworth M 1'37"486 + 0'04"315

6. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Cosworth M 1'38"320 + 0'05"149

7. 8 HEIDFELD Williams BMW M 1'39"517 + 0'06"346

8. 3 BUTTON BAR Honda M 1'41"512 + 0'08"341

9. 19 KARTHIKEYAN Jordan Toyota B 1'44"357 + 0'11"186

10. 9 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'44"997 + 0'11"826

11. 10 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M 1'45"325 + 0'12"154

12. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B 1'45"481 + 0'12"310

13. 18 MONTEIRO Jordan Toyota B 1'46"846 + 0'13"675

14. 5 ALONSO Renault M 1'47"708 + 0'14"537

15. 21 ALBERS Minardi Cosworth B 1'49"230 + 0'16"059

16. 20 FRIESACHER Minardi Cosworth B 1'50"864 + 0'17"693

17. 17 R.SCHUMACHER Toyota M 1'51"495 + 0'18"324

18. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'57"931 + 0'24"760

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

[Edited on 2005-3-5 by puck7x]

*pulls out the Ferrari hat*

No I'm not a Ferrari fan boy. I just like the hat. I try to watch the races if I'm up or else I pretty much sleep through all of them except the one where they race in Montreal.

The grid is set...

Fisichella has the pole. Trulli is #2, Weber #3, and Villeneuve holds his #4 spot.

Do I think JV has a shot at finishing in the points? , no not really. But if he gets some lucky breaks he could. It was encouraging to see him get one of the quickest times of the 2nd QF session. Although who knows how much or little fuel he had in his Sauber...

[Edited on 2005-3-6 by puck7x]

Haha, finally Schumacher had a bad race. :clap: :king:

BTW. Our Austrian team "Red Bull" did quite well with Coulthard as 4th and Klien as 7th ... the other Austrian Friesacher finished on last place, but hey what should you reach with a Minardi?! ;)

Originally posted by Tony

Couldn't watch the race :( Let's hope I can catch the next one.

You didn't miss anything - I also only saw the highlights this morning and it was boring as ever. ;)

I rather watch Rallye or MotoGP, it's much more intersting.

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

He deserves all compliments for ending the race ;)

LOL, I suppose even I can finish on last place. :lol:

Well in my desperate attempts to find a replacement for the NHL, i decided to give Formula 1 a try, and i was a bit disapointed. I was hoping Villeneuve was going to make a nice return, but after the first 5 seconds of the race it was clear he would not.

I'll probably watch the next race if i can, but i was not impressed by today's race.

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

LOL, I suppose even I can finish on last place. :lol:

It's realy Heroic for a minardi to finish a race, what a terrible car.

Albers already missed a gear during the race, and after the pitstop also his first gear broke, hopeless!

It's really a bad car ... they wanted to drive with the old cars but at the last moment they decided to drive with a "newer" version. They changed something on saturday night and you saw that it was only crap.

BTW. Sebastien Loeb would have finished better than Minardi with his World Rallye car ... :P

• 2 weeks later...

The Malaysian grand prix is this weekend, and things arent looking good for JV. His Suaber teammate Massa finished #1 in the 2nd practice session, while the best JV could do is 18.

Ok i decided to make a Fantasy Formula one league. Anyone whos interested, feel free to join. Its with Yahoo UK so if you want to join you can keep your current account but you will only be able to access with the Yahoo UK site.

ID: 2421

Password: canada

• 2 weeks later...

Alonso and Renault take another race. JV with a another disapointment after it looked like he would finish in 8th spot and in the points, he had to pull out and Coulthard got to be the man to pass the struggling Barichello.

Ferrari has a lot of ground to make up on Renault already.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is still following F1 (considering this is my 4th straight post) but the race this morning was easily the best one of the season and JV actually got some points (6th place).

Schumacher has his work cut out for him the rest of the way, but his Ferrari was looking quite good today.

I used to follow F1 back when Jacques Villeneuve won the championship (he was my favourite), but ever since he left Williams for BAR, he's been on a pretty long suck-fest of a racing career. I also detest Michael Schumacher. Not just because I think he's a douche, but also because I think it's so boring when the same guy wins the championship year after year.

In my opinion the F1 circuit would benefit from making the races a closer competition. It's virtually impossible to achieve anything if you don't have the best ride - if your car sucks then it doesn't matter if you're the best driver. I think F1 is too much about the car and not enough about the skill of the driver. Sure, Schumacher is a great driver, don't get me wrong, but even he would find it damn near impossible to win in a below-average F1 car.

[/rant]

ADD: This year's championship seems to be more interesting though. Hopefully anyone but Schumacher will win. If Alonso can keep Schumacher in his slip-stream, Alonso is the one I will root for. Anyone but Schumacher or Barrichello.

[Edited on 2005/4/24 by Doktor Kosmos]

• 1 month later...

So I went downtown to the Crescent street F1 festival today (after going like 24 hours without sleep... and

then going to the Als game afterwards... I'm so damn exhausted now, lol) ... Anyways here's some pics and

commentary...

Look, its the BAR car...

june8barhonda2ul.th.jpg

And now some Honda bikes...

june8cycle3rf.th.jpg

Various Honda's and Acura's (honda). Did I mention the events main sponsor is Honda?

june8honda2wc.th.jpg

june8rsx7ij.th.jpg

The new civic "concept car" ... Here's a neat concept, the hood paint should match the body... wtf...

civicconcept4rv.th.jpg

Look its Michael Schumacher!!! ... No actually its a toy car, but that thing is awesome as hell! And realistic looking... I want one (and the real one too of course)

schummini7iv.th.jpg

Jean Sebastien Giguere was one of the many celebrities on hand for the events today ... ;)

michelinman8ug.th.jpg

More to follow (the good stuff :D ... you guys should know what I mean)

[Edited on 2005-6-10 by puck7x]

Why look, its Jenson Button, T.Sato and Gil De Ferran (he's a bussiness man now, lol),

I shook hands with the first two. Sato is friendly... Button not so much, but thats probably just because he's British.

hondadrivers3qh.th.jpg

buttonmug0kf.th.jpg<nobr>satomug6zt.th.jpg

These 2 idiots kept playing these bongos for 20 minutes, and that was AFTER the important

people had arrived for the conference (look behind them, at the table).... What a couple of ... well I dont need to say it.

damnbongos0lt.th.jpg

Okay... Now the good stuff...

They had a celebrity pit-stop competition between....

The Montreal Impact soccer players, Some Waterpolo

players, some local area boxers (Otis Grant to name the most well known) .,... And the Als Cheerleaders (the impact won the comp

, the Cheerleaders were second) ... I swear I was taking a pic of the tire change, not her ass.

pitschicks3le.th.jpg<nobr>pitschicks17eq.th.jpg

I forget what booth these girls were working, they were trying to sell some shit... it doesnt matter really what it was.

pinkshirts3pd.th.jpg

leathershorts4oa.th.jpg

budsigngirl3pk.th.jpg

I really could of taken more pictures of the girls (alot of hot girls), but I didnt want to come across looking like too much of a perv, lol.

Well, thats pretty much it... If anyone wants higher resolution copies of any pic, just ask.

Oh, and as for if I had any fun... Yes I did. They kept me

entertained with lots of booths, free-samples and games (PS2, PSP, etc) ... I got 2 free Shick Quattro

razors, a free GP water bottle, a free bud-light keychain (I won the bud-light challange! lol) I

also got free gum, free listerine pocket packs, a free

sample of Labatt's new "Shok" energy-beer drink thing.

Needless to say I returned to those booths many times

during the day, lol... (one per person? I think not) . I

also entered myself in many contests for cool shit that

I'll never win (cars, vacations, etc) ... It was definitely

worth going.

Sorry for the annoying text format, the html in this post is acting screwy... And, I'm obviously too lazy to fix it :)

[Edited on 2005-6-10 by puck7x]