Habs pull even with Leafs on CBC

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/21004

Well, almost: 24 Laffs, 22 Habs games covered on what is laughably called our 'national network.'

Most comments on Habs I/O are directed to the mediocrity of CBC coverage (although this is manifestly unfair to Jim Hughson, one of the best around). What I think is significant is that the Canadiens have finally penetrated the Leafs' hitherto preposterous stranglehold on CBC coverage, which always drove me absolutely, 100% frothing ballistic with rage, considering that the CBC is supposed to be a PUBLIC *NATIONAL* BROADCASTER. It should be, and always should have been, an even alternation between TO, Montreal and Ottawa, with exceptions made for marquee matchups.

Doesn't really matter though. I'll still watch RDS, especially during intermissions, where the CBC is self-absorbed and Toronto-centric at best and comically inept at worst.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It should be, and always should have been, an even alternation between TO, Montreal and Ottawa, with exceptions made for marquee matchups.

What about Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver? Aren't they Canadian also? Honestly, it makes sense financially for them to be Toronto-centric. Of the Canadian teams, Toronto will have the most viewers in an English speaking audience. Montreal obviously rivals them in terms of numbers, but a large number of Habs fans will be watching on RDS. TV networks are a business and Toronto is best for their business.

The Sens are in the East too. They should get an equal number of games. As far as quality, Hughson is the best in the business. Too bad Cole is the worst in the business. I do like cbc buildup to the game, and they always show the national anthems.

What about Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver? Aren't they Canadian also? Honestly, it makes sense financially for them to be Toronto-centric. Of the Canadian teams, Toronto will have the most viewers in an English speaking audience. Montreal obviously rivals them in terms of numbers, but a large number of Habs fans will be watching on RDS. TV networks are a business and Toronto is best for their business.

CBC always airs doubleheaders, so if you notice the western teams are split fairly evenly (with Vancouver getting more). It's really Ottawa that gets the shaft at the expense of Montreal/Toronto. As you could imagine, a Hamilton franchise would get similar or likely worse coverage, much like Quebec and Winnipeg did.

CBC always airs doubleheaders, so if you notice the western teams are split fairly evenly (with Vancouver getting more). It's really Ottawa that gets the shaft at the expense of Montreal/Toronto. As you could imagine, a Hamilton franchise would get similar or likely worse coverage, much like Quebec and Winnipeg did.

personally I think Montreal should be the main national game every week and fit the other losers in where you can. ^_^ :hlogo:

Sportsnet stole a buch of Laughs games.

Sportsnet / Laughs

Honestly, that's fine with me. For me personally, I have a hierarchy of english networks in terms of quality. In this order is where I'd want to watch a game:

-CBC

-TSN

-RSN

So if TSN had to dump Leafs games and gained Habs games in the process, I'm fine with that. I'm from Sudbury and I can't even stand Joe Bowen.

Yes, the three western teams should also rotate for the late game. I was referring to the EST schedule.

As for the 'business' thing, that's my point. The CBC is NOT a 'business,' it's a public broadcaster that exists in order to provide services that the market cannot or will not provide. If the CBC is driven by ratings, if it operates according to the logic of a 'business,' then it is redundant; it's not doing anything that private broadcasters won't happily do. Unfortunately, because of a combination of

1. idiotic CBC management foolishly buying into the 'market' vision of itself

2. idiotic governments cash-starving the CBC and thus forcing it to scrounge desperately for ad revenues and

3. idiotic populations who don't even understand the whole concept of Crown corporations and get mad when they 'lose money'

the CBC has chosen precisely to do as you state and 'be Toronto-centric' in order to get ratings. It's a minor disgrace that this country doesn't even understand the basics of what a public company is FOR. Bob Cole and Harry Neale are the direct result. Fortunately Sportsnet outbid the cash-strapped CBC for Leafs' rights, or they'd still be making redundant jackasses of themselves.

OK, rant's over - resume discussion please! :lol:

TV networks are a business and Toronto is best for their business.

Yeah FanP like CC points out it's not so Keynesian. The CBC is a Canadian crown corporation, their president appointed the Canadian government, and operating under a mandate to "reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions..."

Go Habs Go!

Yeah FanP like CC points out it's not so Keynesian. The CBC is a Canadian crown corporation, their president appointed the Canadian government, and operating under a mandate to "reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions..."

Go Habs Go!

ah you may want to edit that i don't think the president of the cbc appointed the canadian government, I mean we are in enough trouble as it is. As to the rant by cc you are correct but how much do we spend to have balet and opera that very few support? A good idea 40 years ago does not mean a good idea today. I think that the cbc HAS become redundant and needs to probably be put out to pasture in the this age of the internet etc.

Yes, but public broadcasters still need money to operate. They may not be a regular old business, but they are a business nonetheless. Since it is supposed to be government run, that would mean tax dollars help pay for it. Thus, wouldn't it be true that the less money CBC brings in as a business mean more of your tax dollars being pumped into it?

Yes, but public broadcasters still need money to operate. They may not be a regular old business, but they are a business nonetheless. Since it is supposed to be government run, that would mean tax dollars help pay for it. Thus, wouldn't it be true that the less money CBC brings in as a business mean more of your tax dollars being pumped into it?

I'm not sure if that's the right way to look at it. Here in Canada, the situation is a little bit different. Yes we'd all like to ensure that we pump the smallest amount of money as possible into the network, but that's finances are not really the only obstacle.

The problem we have is that the CBC has to, to an extent, fight American cultue from completely eliminating homegrown content. Although this doesn't really apply to HNIC, it still is a fixture of Canadian culture. While it may not be in as much danger as actual drama's or sitcom they air, there still is a need to ensure it remains afloat, even against fixtures such as TSN.

The reason I bring this up is because this is really the justification the CBC receives funding at all. More than anything, it's "promote culture at any cost." The CBC's goal isn't to be cost-efficent, it's to be Canadian. This affects the entire business model, which really sets an atmosphere for inclusion over profit.

That's right. If it's worth having a public broadcaster - which, to me, is an open question, because the same goal could be achieved via a combination of strong regulatory 'canadian content' requirements for specialty channels in particular - then it's worth paying for it, through taxes. Right now we have the worst of both words: a tax-supported network that tries desperately to compete with CTV and TSN in order to get ratings. Only in Canada.

The CBC is the worst-funded public broadcaster in the western world. Other countries get the concept that public goods are worth paying for. We don't.

Unfortunately out west CBC HD always has the leaf games. I'll be a happy camper when Shaw cable gets RDS HD here.

You are bang on. We are only getting more habs games because they show the habs in SD on one channel while the National HD broadcast is the leafs.. ever game they show of the leafs will be prime coverage in HD.

There was also a rumour from last season that The Score was interested in doing Habs games during the week, but that dates back to the end of the 07-08 season.

For the life of me, I STILL don't understand why the team doesn't do a 15-20 game regional package with Sportsnet East

For the life of me, I STILL don't understand why the team doesn't do a 15-20 game regional package with Sportsnet East

Two reasons.

1. SportsNet East is mostly geared towards ottawa

2. Nobody watched SportsNet in Québec...I mean NOBODY!

The reason for reason number 2 is sportsnet is garbage.

Agreed!

Even if you don't like TSN, you have to admit that Bob Mackenzie usually knows what he's talking about...and even though Pierre McGuire can be annoying, he also knows his shit!!

RSN has nobody of that caliber!

Edited by Habsfan

• 3 weeks later...
any update on this JMMR?

Also I can't seem to find RDS's online package this year, can anyone give me a hand? I'm assuming tonight's game is on there?

I haven't been able to find it either. Does anyone know if they're even offering it this year?

any update on this JMMR?

Also I can't seem to find RDS's online package this year, can anyone give me a hand? I'm assuming tonight's game is on there?

No update.

I guess wait for the 1st Saturday night and see is Canadiens Sabres is on.

So the RDS Zone de Match page remains outdated and makes me wonder if they'll be offering it again this year. Has anyone tried any other online sites like nhl.com or hockeystreams that would they would recommend?