2010 Olympic Hockey Thread

Habitforming

Is it just me or have the Czechs and the Slovaks fallen of the wagon in the last few years? It seems like their programs have both taken a step back, while the Russians have moved forward, along with the Swedes as well. It seems like there is seperation right now, with Canada, Russia and Sweden all in a group of their own, with the remaining four all fighting it out for 4th place and on.

On the same note, the Swiss are probably the most improved program in the world. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to really start pushing at the bottom four. Maybe not with a lot of success, but definitely with some results. The Germans were always the worst of the best (They were in the World Cup if nothing else), but it seems like the Swiss have knocked them off.

TBRC's National Rankings

Russia

Canada

Sweden

-

Czech Republic

Finland

America

Slovakia

-

Switzerland

Germany

Belarus

-

Latvia

Norway

Kazakstan

Ukraine

The Germans were always the worst of the best (They were in the World Cup if nothing else), but it seems like the Swiss have knocked them off.

The Krauts should be ranked much lower after last years WC ... they would have been relegated to the B-WC if the wouldn't host next years tournament. :puke:

The Krauts should be ranked much lower after last years WC ... they would have been relegated to the B-WC if the wouldn't host next years tournament. :puke:

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, simply because they have IMO the 7th most star power in the world. Overall, they may be a worse team, but I think they have a few guys who can put them on their shoulders.

Bleacher report are not bad for possible line ups link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/126346-...k-team-slovakia

Let's look in goals, it's enough to know that we will see the best of the best.

My ranks in goalies

Canada Brodeur Luongo Mason

SwedenLundqvist Tellqvist or Burke monster

Finland Kiprusoff Backstrom Lehtonen

Russia Nabokov Varlamov Khabubulin Bryzgalov

America Miller Thomas

Slovakia Budaj Halak-

Czech Republic Vokoun Pavelec Swartz

Switzerland Gerber where is Aebisher ?

Germany Greiss Kotchnew

Belarus

-

Latvia

Norway

Kazakstan

Ukraine

Can we just stop using America for the USA. America is NOT the USA only.

Let them self-proclaim themselves Americans if they want, but try to keep America when refering to the whole continent please...

Can we just stop using America for the USA. America is NOT the USA only.

Let them self-proclaim themselves Americans if they want, but try to keep America when refering to the whole continent please...

American is the proper English demonym for a person from the USA. It doesn't make any sense to use America to refer to the entire continent, since there are TWO continents that could refer to. All the other continents are referred to with their whole name, so why not North and South America?

American = Member of the USA

North American = member of that continent

South American = member of that continent

American is the proper English demonym for a person from the USA. It doesn't make any sense to use America to refer to the entire continent, since there are TWO continents that could refer to. All the other continents are referred to with their whole name, so why not North and South America?

I think he was referring to "America" not American.

My point exactly. United States of America =not America.

And it seems to me that there are THREE continents that could refer to America. North, Central and South. Is Central America a myth or it actually exists as a continent ???

Edited by JoeLassister

And it seems to me that there are THREE continents that could refer to America. North, Central and South. Is Central America a myth or it actually exists as a continent ???

How did I make your point?

America = the country

North America = the continent

South America = the continent

In a list of countries, is anyone going to get confused if they see America listed? And let's be honest, if Canada has already been listed and someone sees America on a list about hockey, who else are they going to think it is?

How often does anyone answer the question, "Where are you from?" with the name of their continent? When people talk about their ways or customs, they talk about those of their country, not their whole continent. America, without anything preceding it, refers to the US.

Centra America is not an actual continent. The Central American countries are part of the North American continent.

That being said, I much prefer USA over America. Anyways, this is a silly thing to argue about.

Geography not being a strong point for me, I don't think it exists anymore. I think it was lumped into one or the other... but then again, what the hell do I know?

How did I make your point? I thought I made it quite clear that America refers most commonly to the USA, since referring to a continent by that term is non-specific and raises questions. You tell someone you're going to America, how many are going to ask you which continent you're going to and how many will say the US? I mean, anyone whose parents or grandarents have heard them talk about coming to America. They say it like that because that is what they learned to call it before coming over.

America = the country

North America = the continent

South America = the continent

That being said, I much prefer USA over America.

Centra America is not an actual continent.

That was just used as a lazy way to say United States of America throughout history. Doesn''t make it right though.

Geography not being a strong point for me, I don't think it exists anymore. I think it was lumped into one or the other... but then again, what the hell do I know?

That was just used as a lazy way to say United States of America throughout history. Doesn''t make it right though.

Yeah just like if Canada was called Canada of America and its citizens Americans and that we were refering to Canada of America as America...

I once heard an American who was telling an European that in America, we are allowed to have guns at home to protect our household...

Yeah just like if Canada was called Canada of America and its citizens Americans and that we were refering to Canada of America as America...

I once heard an American who was telling an European that in America, we are allowed to have guns at home to protect our household...

The reason that wouldn't happen is because America is, in a way, the only proper noun in the official name of the country. While the "United States of America" is technically all a proper noun, America is really the only word that denotes a place. The "United States" is essentially the form of confederation they use. You don't hear people calling Brits "United Kingdomers" or people calling Canucks "Commonwealth Canadiens."

The reason that wouldn't happen is because America is, in a way, the only proper noun in the official name of the country. While the "United States of America" is technically all a proper noun, America is really the only word that denotes a place. The "United States" is essentially the form of confederation they use. You don't hear people calling Brits "United Kingdomers" or people calling Canucks "Commonwealth Canadiens."

Good point. If "United States" were true proper nouns, they wouldn't get translated. For example, when the US is competing in Spain or Mexico, it is the Estados Unidos de America, instead of United States of America.

Ok back to the current thread how many habs or habs picks property have a decent shot to make their national teams ?

Russia= Markov

Canada None

U.S.A Gomez.

Tch = Plekanek, Hamrlik, Spacek

Slovakia = Halak

Switzlerland = Weber

Bilorussia = Andrei et Segei Kost

8 ain't that bad.

America was first used to refer to the New World as a whole. It's a word spawn from the name of explorer Amerigo Vespucci. After that, to fit the distinction between North America and South America, the name was pluralized: the Americas. In the Olympic tradition, America refers to the entire New World Continent, not to the USA.

The distinctions is very dependent on language. For example, the French translation of "America" is "L'Amérique" (singular) or "Les Amériques" (plural), and it refers to the entire continent, not the USA. However "Américains" refers to people from the USA, but the use of "Étasuniens" (Unitedstaters) is also used but usually by more educated people or in scholar works.

Ok back to the current thread how many habs or habs picks property have a decent shot to make their national teams ?

Russia= Markov

Canada None

U.S.A Gomez.

Tch = Plekanek, Hamrlik, Spacek

Slovakia = Halak

Switzlerland = Weber

Bilorussia = Andrei et Sergei Kost

8 ain't that bad.

I'm not too sure I want to have too many Habs going to the Olympics. Risk of injuries, getting tired physically or emotionally, living a high only to live a low when the NHL resumes... all things that can work against us for the last stretch and the playoffs. The only upside I see is depth players like Halak or Weber getting confidence boosts from seeing elite caliber action.

For team Canada, let's talk locks.

Right now, I'n thinking they're aren't really all that many. The few that I honestly think will make the team regardless, however, barring any injuries are:

S. Niedermeyer (D)

Iginla (F)

Lecavalier (F)

Nash (F)

Getzlaf (F)

Pronger (D)

Brodeur (G)

Luongo (G)

Crosby (F)

E. Staal (F)

Edited by TheBigRedC

Thinking more of line would help what choices will be made.

First there is not that many wingers out there, lotta centers.

Best wingers in order

Iginla

Nash

Heatley like it or not

Perry

Morrow

Gagné

Roy

Doan

Sharp

So with these wingers make a possible line uu with the overflow of centers.

Crosby-Iginla- Nash

Getzlaf-Perry-Heatley

Staal-Roy-Gagné

Richards-Morrow Doan Shut down line

Ok it doesn't make sense to leave out Lecavalier, Toews, Thornton, Carter i agree.

Who from these guys can play wing and puch out any of the wingers.

Quick thought would be Lecavalier playing with Staal instead of Roy.

On a side note

Morrow i have doubts because he didn't played for a fulll season but for team spirit

Gagné is injury prone next shot to the head can end his career.

My ranks in goalies

Canada Brodeur Luongo Mason

SwedenLundqvist Tellqvist or Burke monster

Finland Kiprusoff Backstrom Lehtonen

Russia Nabokov Varlamov Khabubulin Bryzgalov

America Miller Thomas

Slovakia Budaj Halak-

Czech Republic Vokoun Pavelec Swartz

Switzerland Gerber where is Aebisher ?

Germany Greiss Kotchnew

Belarus

-

Latvia

Norway

Kazakstan

Ukraine

Thats actually wrong though. Nabokov is really a Kazak but they do allow him to play for Russia for some reason. Its probably because he lived in Russia for long enough just to play hockey. However I still dont think he should be allowed to play for Russia. I bet theres lots of ex Soviet countries with lots of hockey players that lived in Russia for a long time so where does one draw the line? Should Russia really be able to rob all the top talent off all of those other countries too? All the ex Soviet countries will never do better if Russia can just take them all.

Can Canada claim any of the Euro's who played in the CHL? :lol: