Gomez 'sti!

JLP

"It's something I want to do. It's not going to be easy. Us Mexicans, we roll our "R"s," Gomez joked, adding that learning French "...is important. I do believe that if you go into someone else's country you always try to learn the language. It might not sound pretty but hopefully it'll be all right."

I'm still not sold on him being a true #1 center, but I definitely have a lot of respect for the guy. He's doing things the way they should be done.

:lol:

one of the greatest thread title !!

Good for him if he does learn french as its not the easiest language to master.

if he doesn't : Meh..no big deal. As a francophone I'm flattered that someone tryies to learn my language although I wont be offended if he/she.

However I remember Kovy saying he'd take on french way back when while he never really spoke it. Ditto ron hextall when he arrived in Quebec city.

maybe they both took on the lessons but never really felt confortable speaking in public.

bonne chance scott. t'es ben mieux de scorer 50 buts mon sacrament !!! :P

Yeah it was in the french medias last week. The interview was taken when Gomez was invited to Maxim Lapierre's golf tournament. That was actually the best part of the article, how when Gomez came to Montreal, Lapierre took the time to show him around town and make him feel welcomed.

As for the french lessons: the most important thing when you learn a new language is to use it. I learned Spanish but never got to use it enough and now I lost it.

BTW, it doesnt matter if Gomez rolls his R's. Some local Quebec accents have the rolling R's too. He'll just sound like he comes from St-Jérôme... :P

1st free lesson

Fromâge

villâge

ménâge

déyhors

dewhors

bal-laine

Fait frette. Jammé dans l'traffic. Tention à la charrue. Va chercher d'la broue au dep.

1st free lesson

Fromâge

villâge

ménâge

déyhors

dewhors

bal-laine

Meh not practical . . .

I'll bet if we gave it a little thought we could compile the COMPLETE BEGINNER'S FRENCH POST-GAME HOCKEY INTERVIEW VOCABULARY. And the five sentence structures Gomez'll need.

Meh not practical . . .

I'll bet if we gave it a little thought we could compile the COMPLETE BEGINNER'S FRENCH POST-GAME HOCKEY INTERVIEW VOCABULARY. And the five sentence structures Gomez'll need.

That's easy:

1. They got a good team over there = "Ills oh un bun ek-eep."

2. We have to keep workin hard = "Eel fo con-tinuay de travaiy-ay for."

3. There's a lot of character in this locker room = "ya bow-coo de carak-tair dawn nut vest-eeyair."

That covers about 99.9% of hockey interviews. Off you go, Scott.

That's easy:

3. There's a lot of character in this locker room = "ya bow-coo de carak-tair dawn nut vest-eeyair."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That's easy:

Awesome.

Sir Bogalot! I thought I was replying to your post but I hit my magic "Mod" button and ended up blanking it . . . .

Anyway for those who didn't see it, the post was good. Hoping you could re-create it? A thousand apologies Sir!

My reply was to say that I think French and Spanish are close. I was in Central America for six months and my French plus some creative adaptations basically got me by. The two languages are Latin-based and generally-speaking their vocabularies have similar etymologies. What would be not remotely close would be Hungarian, or Japanese.

Anyway the thing is I don't think Gomez actually speaks Spanish . . .

I propose a structural approach to Scott's lessons, where he can learn a few templates then simply fill in blanks as required, eg: "Own a joo-eh (mal/bien) a costa nut (day fence / offence) . . . Le boo de (Mike / Andre / Guy / __ ) a tut shawn jay le game . . ."

That's easy:

FANTASTIQUE CHicouT!!!!! :clap:

and also because I know from experience... when you know spanish you can learn french way more easier than someone who doesnt know any of the Romance languages (Italian, Portuguese, Rumanian even i think)

Sir Bogalot! I thought I was replying to your post but I hit my magic "Mod" button and ended up blanking it . . . .

Anyway for those who didn't see it, the post was good. Hoping you could re-create it? A thousand apologies Sir!

D'oh. I was wondering where it went. I guess I can try to redo it.

On 1 large forum I use there was a thread about French language and at first all the users from France were mad that people were bashing the French but as the thread progressed even the French started to agree that the French language can be a pain in the ass. :lol:

Most of the users on that forum are Euro's and they all picked French as their least favourite most troublesome language. When most people complain about the French its primarily the language that they are bitching about, not French people or French culture. Out of all the European latin based languages French seems to universally be the most difficult. i.e. Spaniards, Germans, Portuguese, Italians, etc all picked French as the most difficult.

French just seems to be a bizarre language compared to other latin based languages. The French grammar seems to be ass backwards and tends to put the cart before the horse which is seen as really odd to all the other latin based languages. I think French people find the other latin based grammar as equally bizarre to them and thats probably why they always want you to say it in French which often makes them appear to be arrogant for them wanting you to speak their language.

Look at most supre market products and check out the English/French labels. Most of the time the French is the exact reverse of the English. 1 example of this is Ice Cream, creme de ice. Most of the translations are backwards to how we would say it in English.

D'oh. I was wondering where it went. I guess I can try to redo it.

On 1 large forum I use there was a thread about French language and at first all the users from France were mad that people were bashing the French but as the thread progressed even the French started to agree that the French language can be a pain in the ass. :lol:

Most of the users on that forum are Euro's and they all picked French as their least favourite most troublesome language. When most people complain about the French its primarily the language that they are bitching about, not French people or French culture. Out of all the European latin based languages French seems to universally be the most difficult. i.e. Spaniards, Germans, Portuguese, Italians, etc all picked French as the most difficult.

French just seems to be a bizarre language compared to other latin based languages. The French grammar seems to be ass backwards and tends to put the cart before the horse which is seen as really odd to all the other latin based languages. I think French people find the other latin based grammar as equally bizarre to them and thats probably why they always want you to say it in French which often makes them appear to be arrogant for them wanting you to speak their language.

Look at most supre market products and check out the English/French labels. Most of the time the French is the exact reverse of the English. 1 example of this is Ice Cream, creme de ice. Most of the translations are backwards to how we would say it in English.

Thanks for reposting Boogie. Agree, French is hard to speak correctly -- but the thing is, francophone Habs fans don't expect that, especially of someone like Gomez. He makes the effort to throw out a few words and it's all good. And I maintain that he could do post-game comments with very little vocab or grammar and everyone will be delighted, it's not like the RDS guy is going to ask him to deconstruct Marcel Proust . . . ^_^

Agree, French is hard to speak correctly -- but the thing is, francophone Habs fans don't expect that, especially of someone like Gomez.

So true.

Most francophone Habs fans can't speak french correctly themselves. Hell, even the French medias butcher the language. So much so that Le Sportnographe can make a living just by reporting quotes with bad French.

I agree with that french is hard to learn and that it takes superior intelligence to speak it :P

creme glacée mmm de la creme glacée !!!

I can can only guess how french can be a pain in the ass to learn as theres an exception to every rule that you learn.

So true.

Most francophone Habs fans can't speak french correctly themselves. Hell, even the French medias butcher the language. So much so that Le Sportnographe can make a living just by reporting quotes with bad French.

it's so Ironic that RDS TQS ckacsports are constenttly whining about how there should be more francophone on the team and we should save french and yet they can't even speak it correctly. espepcially the new generation.

I love the sportnographe. great sense of humour. they're refreshing !!

creme glacée mmm de la creme glacée !!!

Non, non, non.

D'la crème à 'glace! "Enwoyes Rita, mets tes babouches pis tes barniques-soleil, on s'en va en machine se charcher un cornet d'bonne crème à 'glace avec des pinottes pis du fudge su' l'dessus."

Non, non, non.

D'la crème à 'glace! "Enwoyes Rita, mets tes babouches pis tes barniques-soleil, on s'en va en machine se charcher un cornet d'bonne crème à 'glace avec des pinottes pis du fudge su' l'dessus."

haha my grand mother was named Rita and she's the only one I heard saying creme en glace!!

Players need to look to Gainey's example. When he returned, like Christ Himself, to Montreal, his French was so rusty it was execrable, but everyone still appreciated the fact that he had made the effort and could at least communicate in that language. There are a few snide remarks here and there; but overwhelmingly it's the honest effort that counts. French Canadians are, like most national minorities, extremely attuned to questions of collective dignity, and it's just insulting when someone is a very important member of your community but seems not to even try to address you in your own language. (Heck, imagine how people in Vancouver or Calgary would feel if their team captains needed translators to speak to the local media).

These players are just too proud IMO. They're afraid of sounding silly. My own approach to French has always been just to barrel forward, and if I make mistakes, so what? The point is to communicate. Sounds like Gomez has a similarly freewheeling attitude, and that will serve him in very good stead.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I have to admit that it is very hard. I was interviewed by cbc in edmonton last year, and they asked if I would like to try it in french. I was very afraid. My vocabulary is horrible, and I don'\t know if I could do it. Living there and using basic comunication should help. As I said, many spanish words sound a lot like french words. To me, I think the school system failied us. Up to grade 11 they should have just bombarded us with vocabulary. Just throw the words together. Who cares if it is correct grammer. Learn the grammer later. At least people will be able to follow what you say.

I have to admit that it is very hard. I was interviewed by cbc in edmonton last year, and they asked if I would like to try it in french. I was very afraid. My vocabulary is horrible, and I don'\t know if I could do it. Living there and using basic comunication should help. As I said, many spanish words sound a lot like french words. To me, I think the school system failied us. Up to grade 11 they should have just bombarded us with vocabulary. Just throw the words together. Who cares if it is correct grammer. Learn the grammer later. At least people will be able to follow what you say.

I agree that the French they seem to teach English people in school is semi useless but I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it. The grammar in French just seems to be inherently backwards to all other latin based languages that if the grammar isnt right French people dont seem to understand half broken French if the grammar is wrong. I honestly beleive thats why a lot of French people want you to say things in French to them and if the grammar is way off your not technically saying it in French even if your using the correct French words. :lol:

Also I think quite a few of the words used in French are different latin based words that are used differently in French than in English. In French a lot of the alternate latin based words are pronounced a lot differently to so when you hear it spoken it makes it even harder to recognize these latin words even though you know the equivalent word in your own language in French its pronounced completely different. ex. Saloo. Its salute but unless you see it written most non French people wouldnt pick up on that from just hearing it, only when you read it would you clue into that because when its said the recognizable latin is silent. The other latin based languages do use alternate latin words too but you can determine these latin words when the are pronounced or written.

It almost seems like the French did the Americans trick and tried to remove a lot of the recognizable latin from their spoken language similar to how the Americans dropped all the recognizable French words from their written language. i.e. they dont write cheques in the US, they write checks. It almost seems like the French were trying to rebel against the Romans by miss pronouncing the Roman words and using their own way to say them to purposely confuse the other latin based languages. The Gauls might have been forced to speak latin but the Romans couldnt force them to speak it properly. ^_^

The problem with learning French is that it's sheer book-learning for most English Canadians. You learn French in exactly the way you learn English - by being immersed in it as part of a living culture. That's why I don't think French classes in high school are worth a damn; in most of North America, it's just a total abstraction, about as relevant as learning Latin. You're right about 'vocabulary first, grammar second', though - seems like that *would* be better than all this anxiety about the future perfect or what have you. But all this anxiety really is needless. Fill the air with words, and if they don't like it, just say 'VIVE LE QUEBEC LIBRE!!' and get the hell out. ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

haha my grand mother was named Rita and she's the only one I heard saying creme en glace!!

My grand-father used to say Crème à glace!!

Anyways, it's nice to see that Gomez intends on learning french. Like someone else said, it doesn't matter if he makes mistakes, it's the effort that counts!

Edited by Habsfan