Jacques Demers Appointed to Canadian Senate

nhfarber

No link yet... but trust me, you should be seeing it break at some point today.

First thought.... Demers is a Conservative????

Second thought.... Pretty soon we can form an NHL alumni House of Commons/Senate team.

That's what political staff are for :D. Good point though, I forgot he was illiterate... interesting to see how this pays off for Harper, he certainly is a strange appointment.

I wonder if he thinks this will help his political numbers in Quebec :P.

Is this another move in Harper's senate reform? Does this bring us one step closer to having an elected senate?

Another example of Harper's broken promises, as he's destined to dominate the senate, not make it a democratic institution. What happened to his campaign promises of Canadians being allowed to choose their senators, rather than having them appointed like some autocratic dictatorship (although, with Harper in charge, the government will be a dictatorship regardless).

Slowly but surely the wheels are coming off this embarassment of a Prime Minister's party train, and we will have a return to at least somewhat accountable politics.

Edited by TheBigRedC

no offense, but isn't Demers illiterate? I know the senate is completely pointless... but shouldn't he be at least able to read the legislation?

So true. 134,000$ per year X 105 senators = 14,070,000$ wasted annualy. :puke:

So true. 134,000$ per year X 105 senators = 14,070,000$ wasted annualy. :puke:

Not to mention all the other costs to run it, from support staff, legal fees and everything else under the sun. It's probably twice that.

Don't worry gents, we're going take care of Mr. Harper in a few weeks. All you have to do is get on board....

Besides what kind of Habs fans support the "blue" team.

Don't worry gents, we're going take care of Mr. Harper in a few weeks. All you have to do is get on board....

Besides what kind of Habs fans support the "blue" team.

You said it friend. I'm actually going to a Liberal convention today, we're picking a new candidate for the Sudbury electoral district.

If the Senate is pointless, why are you worried about Harper stacking it?

It's still Liberal controlled right now, but it's getting closer for the Conservatives.

Oddly enough, in order to pass reform legislation, he needs the support of the senate to do so. I know that when he did his last rounds of appointments, it was mainly to pro-reformers, and not stereotypical party hacks (remember, he appointed Pamela Wallin and Mike Duffy). Heck, he's appointed a lot of journalists... maybe he just wants them to quit writing about him!

If this is a step toward an elected senate, I'm all for it.

Well, for my part, I'd say that if this is a step toward a non-elimination of the senate, I'm all against it.

Senate has to go.

Useless. Job. Ever.

Suits the Conservatives. Another self-important blow-hard who thinks He Knows Everything.

You talking about Jacques Demers? Can't be. Jacques Demers, the hippie guy that loves everybody, pats and hugs and says only nice things about everyone? So much he's a walking caricature. That Jacques Demers?

Is this another move in Harper's senate reform? Does this bring us one step closer to having an elected senate?

Another example of Harper's broken promises, as he's destined to dominate the senate, not make it a democratic institution. What happened to his campaign promises of Canadians being allowed to choose their senators, rather than having them appointed like some autocratic dictatorship (although, with Harper in charge, the government will be a dictatorship regardless).

Slowly but surely the wheels are coming off this embarassment of a Prime Minister's party train, and we will have a return to at least somewhat accountable politics.

So true.

Senate & Governor-General = two pointless, embarassing British Imperialism relics.

It's still Liberal controlled right now, but it's getting closer for the Conservatives.

True. With today's nomination, it's 53-46 for the Liberals. It could be 50-50 as soon as Jan 3, 2010 , assuming Harper is still in power by then. That tie could last until Nov '10.

Considering the Liberals appointed Jean Lapointe to the Senate I dont think they have much room to ridicule Demers....

Edited by Jean

You talking about Jacques Demers? Can't be. Jacques Demers, the hippie guy that loves everybody, pats and hugs and says only nice things about everyone? So much he's a walking caricature. That Jacques Demers?

"Suits the Conservatives. Another self-important blow-hard who thinks He Knows Everything."

I would like to insert the word "seemingly" between "another" and "self-important." When I watch him on broadcasts analyzing, he puffs up and serves his knowledge as Absolute; "I Know This and It Is Right."

Outside his analysis, yes, he seems a great guy. I would love to play for him.

I find it very amusing to see people think the Conservative Party is wrong to appoint Senate members along partisan lines and when the Liberals did this for 13 years virtually no one commented on it. If they do not appoint any members they cannot get the reform passed for an elected Senate. Further, if the Liberals fight this reform (and they will...) then the Conservatives leave themselves open to allowing a future Liberal government to continue to dominate at every level with no check and balance...and we've all seen how well that worked in the past.

Let's all be honest, the Liberals, under Chretien, moved the Senate towards the joke it has become by showing that a stacked Senate is NOT the "check and balance" it is expected to be. Chretien appointed more Senators, along partisan lines, then likely any PM in history. We STILL have a Liberal dominated Senate as a result!

Abolishing the Senate is NOT the answer. Our MP's, of every party stripe, have proven to be less then perfect time and time again. An ELECTED Senate would go a long way to providing a legitimate check against poor government legislation...in fact, this type of "check" has been needed for a LONG time.

I also thought Demers WAS illiterate...as in past tense...and that he's since learned to read and write. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that account.

It's hilarious to see Liberals get so insulting to anyone that supports the Conservatives, as seen in this thread. It's even funnier in Ontario to watch Liberal and NDP supporters continue to blame Mike Harris for the provinces problems when McGuinty is halfway through his 2nd term...lol. I guess a lot of Libs are upset that the economy actually turned around with the Cons in power despite their dire predictions to the contrary...hey, it even happened without all the extra stimulus money they demanded, even after the Cons upped the ante. Just goes to show that when you stand on your left leg your mind goes blurry and you lose sight of even the centre, let alone the Right...

"Suits the Conservatives. Another self-important blow-hard who thinks He Knows Everything."

I would like to insert the word "seemingly" between "another" and "self-important." When I watch him on broadcasts analyzing, he puffs up and serves his knowledge as Absolute; "I Know This and It Is Right."

Outside his analysis, yes, he seems a great guy. I would love to play for him.

:lol:

Yes, Demers puffs up and all, which is funny when he does because he tends to stumble all over his words. But he rarely if ever argues. If he says "black" and someone else on the broadcast says "white", he'll say "Hey, he's right, it's white. But like I said, it's black". :wacko: The guy avoids conflict at all costs. He's a hippie-in-hiding. I'm suspecting he's Maca's real dad!

It's not that Liberals are critical of appointing Senators becaue as you said, we have also done it. Bu there's a few things. Chretien always went out of his way to appoint senators from other parties, or ones who would sit as independents in addition to liberals.

The biggest different, Stephen Harper has continuously said he would never appoint senators. He lied, has lied and continues to lie. He's nothing but a Harpocrite.... I mean hypocrite.

See for yourself:

"We don't support any Senate appointments."

(Stephen Harper, Winnipeg Free Press, January 29, 1996)

"Despite the fine work of many individual Senators, the Upper House remains a dumping ground for the favoured cronies of the Prime Minister."

(Stephen Harper Leadership Website, January 15, 2004)

"In the 21st century, those who want to sit in the parliament of a democratic state should have a mandate from the people."

(Stephen Harper, February 7, 2006)

"A conservative government will not appoint to the senate anyone who does not have a mandate from the people."

(Conservative Party website during 2006 election)

"As everyone in this room knows, it has become a right of passage for aspiring leaders and prime ministers to promise Senate reform - on their way to the top - but once they are elected, Senate reform quickly falls to the bottom of the Government's agenda. Nothing ever gets done."

(Stephen Harper, Speech on Senate Reform before Senate Committee, September 7, 2006)

"I don't plan to appoint senators; that's not my intention."

(Stephen Harper, Cornwall Standard-Freeholder, January 14, 2006)

"Stephen Harper will cease patronage appointments to the Senate. Only candidates elected by the people will be named to the Upper House."

(Stephen Harper Leadership Website, January 15, 2004)

"I challenge Mr. Martin, once he becomes Prime Minister, to turn a page on the past, and appoint only elected Senators to the Upper House."

(Stephen Harper, Canadian Alliance Press Release, July 4, 2003)

"Canadians from Newfoundland and Labrador to British Columbia remain ashamed of Canada`s senior legislative body. They are ashamed the Prime Minister continues the disgraceful, undemocratic appointment of undemocratic Liberals to the undemocratic Senate to pass all too often undemocratic legislation."

(Stephen Harper, Hansard, March 7, 1996)