Any Chance Martin Gives Halak a Real Shot?

The Saint

But how does he get better without playing, playing, playing at the top level of the sport? If he struggles sufficiently, sure you take him out. But you get him back on that horse ASAP and get him to work through his issues. I mean, if every goalie were pulled and lost their starting job because of a string of bad performances, even guys like Brodeur would have been lost. Wasn't it just two years ago that he had an absolutely brutal first half of the season?

If management feels a guy has every skill to become a legit number one - and star - in the NHL, they have to let him make his mistakes and learn. That's the only way to get better. Pulling him whenever he struggles just kills confidence. Much like many of the recent Habs coaches did with our rookies. You don't get better watching the game. You get better playing.

You don't get a goalie to all star status by annointment.. they need to earn it. Price has been given every possible chance to prove it and he will get another chance this year. I still think he was rushed without a safety net. When a goalie loses his mojo it is not always best to keep him in a losing situation. I am convinced that by the end of last year, Price was mentally gone. He needed to be given the time to reflect, then the challenge to work his way back to the number one spot.

I don't care if they give Price the starting job, but if he starts imploding, Halak has to be given a shot. Once that happens, Price should sit on his butt until he gets an opportunity (ie.. Halak starts to falter), then he must earn the job back. He can't just be told that he will be number one REGARDLESS of his performance. This is NOT how you create a great goalie.

I don't think people are giving up on Price, they just want him to earn his spot like every other goalie in the league. If he can't do it the hard way, then he will never be the goalie you dream he will become. No more failed seasons or playoffs series to "get Price experience".

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a perspective I haven't heard much. Price struggled after coming back, probably too soon, from an ankle injury of a sort that is often very difficult for goalies to recover from. Granted, that's not the whole explanation - no doubt the ankle was 100% after a while - but it is a strong causal explanation for post All Star collapse. After a while he was probably pushing it and so getting way off his fundamentals and undermining his confidence.

The point is just that Price was the uncontested #1 before that injury. And it might be a bit unfair to relegate him to a #2 status because he struggled in clawing back from that injury - just as it is unfair to treat Halak as though he were some marginal backup to a Luongo. It's more a Roy-Hayward thing. No shame in that.

But how does he get better without playing, playing, playing at the top level of the sport? If he struggles sufficiently, sure you take him out. But you get him back on that horse ASAP and get him to work through his issues. I mean, if every goalie were pulled and lost their starting job because of a string of bad performances, even guys like Brodeur would have been lost. Wasn't it just two years ago that he had an absolutely brutal first half of the season?

If management feels a guy has every skill to become a legit number one - and star - in the NHL, they have to let him make his mistakes and learn. That's the only way to get better. Pulling him whenever he struggles just kills confidence. Much like many of the recent Habs coaches did with our rookies. You don't get better watching the game. You get better playing.

Price has been handed everything since he's been a member of the organization. He was given a very good Hamilton team the year they won the Calder Cup. Halak worked his ass off and towards the end of the year finally had unseated Yann Danis by consistently outplaying him. Price comes in and is promptly handed the starting job. His first year in the NHL, he starts to struggle and the team does the right thing by demoting him. After putting up very pedestrian stats in 10 games in Hamilton, he recalled and almost immediately handed the #1 job. It is at this point that he finally earns something, by finishing the regular season very strong. Despite struggling in the playoffs, he had done enough to be the #1. That all changed with his injury last year. When you're 21 years old, you have to prove yourself all over again after an injury. This isn't a veteran like Brodeur who has earned his job over a whole career. Price clearly wasn't the same after the injury and never did a darn thing to earn back the #1 job. Montreal wasn't some bottom feeder that could afford to let a young kid learn by losing, they were in a playoff hunt. That is not the time for a kid to take his lumps. In my eyes, he still hasn't earned back his job and I think it is ridiculous to call for either goalie to be the #1 until one of them proves (in Price's case, proves again) that he is up to the task. Alternate starts until one of them separates himself from the other.

Here's a perspective I haven't heard much. Price struggled after coming back, probably too soon, from an ankle injury of a sort that is often very difficult for goalies to recover from. Granted, that's not the whole explanation - no doubt the ankle was 100% after a while - but it is a strong causal explanation for post All Star collapse. After a while he was probably pushing it and so getting way off his fundamentals and undermining his confidence.

The point is just that Price was the uncontested #1 before that injury. And it might be a bit unfair to relegate him to a #2 status because he struggled in clawing back from that injury - just as it is unfair to treat Halak as though he were some marginal backup to a Luongo. It's more a Roy-Hayward thing. No shame in that.

He was rushed back too soon. Guy said if he couldn't play before the All Star Break, he wouldn't play in the game. Price had gotten brand new gear just for the game, was pumped to play in his first ASG in front of a home crowd, and the team wanted the marketing bonanza. They even had Price play in the Young Stars goalfest when Steve Mason pulled out with an injury. I still don't know why they didn't just ask Halak to do that game... he was plenty young himself.

It was just all too convenient how he was suddenly 100% about 3 days before the All Star break. Any other year they would've held him out until after the break.

Price has been handed everything since he's been a member of the organization. He was given a very good Hamilton team the year they won the Calder Cup. Halak worked his ass off and towards the end of the year finally had unseated Yann Danis by consistently outplaying him. Price comes in and is promptly handed the starting job. His first year in the NHL, he starts to struggle and the team does the right thing by demoting him. After putting up very pedestrian stats in 10 games in Hamilton, he recalled and almost immediately handed the #1 job. It is at this point that he finally earns something, by finishing the regular season very strong. Despite struggling in the playoffs, he had done enough to be the #1. That all changed with his injury last year. When you're 21 years old, you have to prove yourself all over again after an injury. This isn't a veteran like Brodeur who has earned his job over a whole career. Price clearly wasn't the same after the injury and never did a darn thing to earn back the #1 job. Montreal wasn't some bottom feeder that could afford to let a young kid learn by losing, they were in a playoff hunt. That is not the time for a kid to take his lumps. In my eyes, he still hasn't earned back his job and I think it is ridiculous to call for either goalie to be the #1 until one of them proves (in Price's case, proves again) that he is up to the task. Alternate starts until one of them separates himself from the other.

Revisionist history. The Bulldogs were 11th out of the 16 teams who qualified for the playoffs and

were outshot in the majority of games going 16-6 to win the championship.

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?sea...=10&id=1834

If you want to represent the facts, represent them properly.

After that shaky start, Martin might give him a good shot. Upside the head. ;)

He wasn't bad, just wasn't great. No rebound control to speak of. His butterfly was small - needs to keep his back straighter. Fourth goal wasn't his fault, though. Anyone listening to Benny Brunet needs to get their head checked. :P

He wasn't bad, just wasn't great. No rebound control to speak of. His butterfly was small - needs to keep his back straighter. Fourth goal wasn't his fault, though. Anyone listening to Benny Brunet needs to get their head checked. :P

I agree, except I thought he handled his rebounds pretty well for the most part. I also noticed that he was following Price's trend of playing the puck more. This must be a result of the new goalie coach, and I'm loving it (until it inevitably results in an unfortunate goal against)

can you say THEODORE

-> In the playoffs, players will learn to shoot above his shoulders and get into his head to have him on his knee early so they have a greater slot in which to shoot. (no pun intended despite using pun-prone expressions such as knee, great slot, shoot. and shoot above his shoulders too, yes, that too. oh yeah.)

I really really really do not like to rest my SC hopes on goalies like Huet, Theo, Halak and so on.

On the other hand, any day, you can give me a Roy, Brodeur, Luongo, Price...

actually Roy stands out of this latter pack as being the worst puck handler of the 4.

Price is really the shitznitz (i dont know what it is, but it sounds cool)

he is big.

he is a 7th dman out there. (in one instance yesterday, the puck was coming to halak, we were in PP, Halak knew that the dman was coming for it and would get there before the opposing forward and let him come and get the puck, that was no mistake. HOWEVER, Price would have just skated up to the puck and made that two line pass to the forward who was waiting for a breakaway, etc...) that really is a MAJOR + to the transition play.

did i say he is big?

when on his game, he defies the opponents and his SIZE makes it so that there is nowhere left to shoot but through him (haha)

when on his game, he doesn't necessarily drop on his knee, making it so that he can block the rare rebounds he'll allow.

Price ABSORBS the puck there are close to no rebounds. (when halak came in relief last season, he was facing 45 shots a game... I'm betting 15 of which were his own rebounds)

when he does allow rebounds, he sometimes do something with the loose puck with his madz ™ stickhandling skillz ™

PRICE = GOD :bow:

On the other hand, any day, you can give me a Roy, Brodeur, Luongo, Price...

Sorry dude, as much as I like Carey, hios name should not be mentionned in teh same sentence as those 3 greats!

Big does not equal great. there have been great smaller goalies and crappy big goalies.

Hopefully we can get a little deeper analysis then "Price is bigger".

I think we have two good goalies, both a bit inconsistent. I think Halak is stronger mentally, Price has more skill and size and can be awesome when he is in the groove, awful when he checks out. This tells me that we should be going with Price, but not hesitate to put in Halak when Price struggles. Make Price work to get back into the net and hopefully his down periods won't last months.

If the rest of the team keeps showing up for one period per game, it won't matter who's in goal, the results will be predictable. The other night in Vancouver, Jacques Plante couldn't have helped this bunch.

Let me start by pointing out the inevitable

1) we're a new group

2) the scheduling is downright ridiculous (5 games on the road to start the season no team should have to endure)

Why is this thread even up? We are 4 games deep into the season!

You cant judge a book on the cover...the book that the Canadiens are writing for their 100/101st season has just started.

I dont think anybody on here should be critiquing/analyzing the current goaltending situation. I was watching TSN the other night, and it said Roberto Luongo statistically struggles each October from the very beginning of his career. Is he still an elite goaltender? YES. There really should be nothing to worry about, Price is still young and getting blown out is going to be a part of the learning curve for him. Games like the 7-1 blowout will come every now and then...in fact, almost every team gets blown out at least once a season.

In conclusion, enough with the the "goaltending swap" threads and the whining about the newcomers who have played sub-par and marginal hockey through these four games.

Lets be real Canadiens fans, stop the pessimism, and believe in this group that they can get it done this year. Last time I checked, the season is 82 games long :clap:

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Why is this thread even up? We are 4 games deep into the season!

If you would read the thread, you would know that it was started during the pre-season and deals with the pros and cons of making Price either earn his job back, or at least giving Halak a shot at challenging for the job. Being only four games into the season, the goalie play thus far doesn't factor a whole lot into the discussion. Sure, people will point to games 1 and 2 as reason Price should be #1, while others will point to game #4 as a reason why he shouldn't, but this sample size is not big enough to have an impact on this discussion at this point.

Game #4 should be laid at the feet of the whole Habs team not Price. It must be hard to be a goalie, when you win 10 games you're a hero, yet you bomb one game (when it's not mostly your fault) and it's time for a change. A D or forward can have a bad game and gets a pass.

Price is the future regardless of a bad game here and there. He's the real deal but he's young... don't forget how young he is... compare his stats to other stars when they were that age... some weren't even in the NHL.

I tire of this excuse. If he is too young, then he shouldn't be in the NHL.

Many of us think that a slower route to the NHL might have been better for Price. Certainly, making him number 1 in his first NHL season was stupid, imo. It didn't make him great, it ruined his confidence. I hope Price can work his way back to being the goalie we all want, but it will take time.

The last game is irrelevant as it was about the team sucking, not Price. At the same time, the first two games don't make a season either. Price needs to be challenged for his role, not because he sucks, not because I hate Price, but because I think that will make him a better goalie. He is not good enough to have a backup playing 10 games a year for him. He is not Kipper. He is not Brodeur. He is one of a handful of good young goalies with the potential to be fixture in the league for years to come. Let's not blow that development anymore then we already have.