Any Chance Martin Gives Halak a Real Shot?

The Saint

I tire of this excuse. If he is too young, then he shouldn't be in the NHL.

Many of us think that a slower route to the NHL might have been better for Price. Certainly, making him number 1 in his first NHL season was stupid, imo. It didn't make him great, it ruined his confidence. I hope Price can work his way back to being the goalie we all want, but it will take time.

The last game is irrelevant as it was about the team sucking, not Price. At the same time, the first two games don't make a season either. Price needs to be challenged for his role, not because he sucks, not because I hate Price, but because I think that will make him a better goalie. He is not good enough to have a backup playing 10 games a year for him. He is not Kipper. He is not Brodeur. He is one of a handful of good young goalies with the potential to be fixture in the league for years to come. Let's not blow that development anymore then we already have.

And you know that from his psy ??? Or you heard it from his mother ? I wish you guys would stop invading players mind...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tire of this excuse. If he is too young, then he shouldn't be in the NHL.

Many of us think that a slower route to the NHL might have been better for Price. Certainly, making him number 1 in his first NHL season was stupid, imo. It didn't make him great, it ruined his confidence. I hope Price can work his way back to being the goalie we all want, but it will take time.

The last game is irrelevant as it was about the team sucking, not Price. At the same time, the first two games don't make a season either. Price needs to be challenged for his role, not because he sucks, not because I hate Price, but because I think that will make him a better goalie. He is not good enough to have a backup playing 10 games a year for him. He is not Kipper. He is not Brodeur. He is one of a handful of good young goalies with the potential to be fixture in the league for years to come. Let's not blow that development anymore then we already have.

His quick route to being an NHL starter is irrelevant now too.

Who is saying he should play 70 games this season? Halak will probably wind up with 25-30 games again. That's challenge enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am quite pleased, overall, by how the goaltending situation is being handled. To me, they are taking the pressure off of both goalies in numerous ways. For starters, they are lifting the burden of responsibility from Price's shoulders. All along he has been hailed as a savior and the future of the franchise was almost immediate put squarely on his shoulders. By splitting the starts, he can concentrate simply on playing well and beating out Halak, rather than thinking about how the team's future lies on his back. For Halak, he's now getting a legitimate chance to earn the job. Last year, he had to have felt like he was trapped behind Price and would never get a real shot with the team. Also, they are clearly showing that neither goalie the team's primary weakness. Yes, Price played poorly down the stretch last season. Yes, Halak was playing better and might have been able to steal a game here or there. No, Price was not the primary reason for the team's collapse. Now, the onus is placed on the team as a whole, rather than on either goalie as an individual.

Edit: How do they not start Halak after Tuesday night? He surely earned the start tonight.

Gainey responds to Halak's stupid agent, Alan Walsh.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...lak_respo.html

“I thought it was infantile ... ‘My dad is bigger than your dad,’ kind of thing,” Gainey said Tuesday after session one of the annual general manager meetings in Toronto. “It’s disappointing.”

“I don’t know [about] Halak ... but if this happened to you, you might want to pick up the phone and let your agent know that he’s not doing the best for you.”