Markov Injury Watch

JLP

This is an unmitigated disaster. We'll be lucky to make the playoffs now for sure...and if so then Bob will be lucky to keep his job.

And if Markov is permanently damaged, then we can add him to this list:

-Donald Audette

-Saku Koivu

-Robert Lang

Premium talents all, their careers compromised or ended by insane injuries.

The consequences, as Rene Levesque once said, could be incalculabe.

In the short term, everything hinges now on Spacek in particular stepping up and playing for us like he did for Buffalo last season.

In the long term, everything hinges on Makov making a full recovery.

UNBELIEVABLY BAD LUCK.

You'd think that by now there could be lightweight tendon protection built into skates. :angry:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after watching last night's game, I have to say this about Markov's injury:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (because really, what else can you do but laugh?)

Other than Markov, our defense was, by and large, pathetic. Big, lumbering, hideously slow, incapable of making a pass on the tape of a player. 46 shots against and when TO gained the zone, they completely dominated us down low. The ONLY thing Gill was good for was clearing the net - big whoopee. Coverage was poor to non-existant and without Markov... we're toast.

Smell that? Burnt toast, Dr. Penfield, burnt toast!

Honestly, that is one of the worst defense corps I've seen. And now it's without the only player that made it worth watching.

(I realize it was only one game, but a guy has to allow a little passion into observation, right?)

Uh...I agree with your assessment of the game, Colin, but you have to allow time for chemistry to kick in. These players need to learn Martin's system and they need to learn each others' patterns. It'll take a while. Right?

There's positives too. Mara looked good on the PP. Spacek, one has to think, will also step up in that regard. Even Gill, the Human Pylon, did reliably rub guys out and clear the crease. Chill out, dude!!

Uh...I agree with your assessment of the game, Colin, but you have to allow time for chemistry to kick in. These players need to learn Martin's system and they need to learn each others' patterns. It'll take a while. Right?

There's positives too. Mara looked good on the PP. Spacek, one has to think, will also step up in that regard. Even Gill, the Human Pylon, did reliably rub guys out and clear the crease. Chill out, dude!!

Except that TO was in almost the same position and looked a million times better defensively. Rebuilt, new system, etc, etc. Sure, Komi was good for a few PIMs, but overall his play was better than any of our defensement short of Markov. The key difference? TO's d-men can PASS.

Haha ok guys...FIRST game of the season, lets no think the sky is falling.

I think the pairings need some tweaking, and the D needs to stop with the weak backhand clearing attempts, take the extra second to spin and fire it out, despite the giveaways, I was impressed with the way the D stood up for Price when ever a leaf player would even look at him.

If he's claimed, so be it - you can't let worries about losing a 5th line forward to waivers preclude you from bringing someone up to play 16-18 minutes a game.

Demoting Pacioretty would be even better, however, there's 1 possible flaw in your scenario. Trading Sergei + ___ for Sharp is all well and good but he has a hefty cap hit.

As funny as is sounds, bringing Sergei back up would actually really help the cause here because of the smaller cap hit and bonus cushion.

I don't want to lose Stewart, and whoever we call up to replace him will be a 7th d-man, not a player getting 16-18 minutes a night.

Sharp's cap hit is 3.9M. If Markov goes on the LTIR and Pacioretty's demoted, we can take that.

Honestly, that is one of the worst defense corps I've seen. And now it's without the only player that made it worth watching.

Come on, with Markov and Hamrlik in the lineup, they're an above average group. Gill is useless though. He's 6'8 and isn't even a physical force.

I'd have Weber ahead of Subban on my depth chart at this stage. At least he has some bona-fide NHL experience and looked pretty good.

Nonetheless, anyone who had the Habs finishing 6-8 has to adjust their predictions downwards at this point. :puke:

Based on Bob's pattern of behaviour since 2007, he will not sit around but will make a deal for help on D. Watch for one or both of the Kostitsyns to be shipped out of town in return for a blueliner.

So does anyone know of a team that is heavy with D-Men that we could trade with? At this point I think Calgary has a few but good luck convincing them to give one up... and we could ask for Souray from EDM. Sam and Sergei could reunite.

Who else could be a good Dance partner for a trade involving a D-man ????

Come on, with Markov and Hamrlik in the lineup, they're an above average group. Gill is useless though. He's 6'8 and isn't even a physical force.

No, with Markov and Hamr in the lineup they aren't bottom-five in the league. At least, after last night's display, that should be the conclusion one might come to.

So does anyone know of a team that is heavy with D-Men that we could trade with? At this point I think Calgary has a few but good luck convincing them to give one up... and we could ask for Souray from EDM. Sam and Sergei could reunite.

Who else could be a good Dance partner for a trade involving a D-man ????

Vancouver has a lot of puck moving d-men, but Schneider is currently hurt and they seem intent on moving their non-puck movers like O'Brien and Lukowich (who was waived) instead. Also, they're well prepared for the inevitable Sami Salo injury. Brent Sopel is probably available for a song out of Chicago, but there's good reason for that.

Haha ok guys...FIRST game of the season, lets no think the sky is falling.

I think the pairings need some tweaking, and the D needs to stop with the weak backhand clearing attempts, take the extra second to spin and fire it out, despite the giveaways, I was impressed with the way the D stood up for Price when ever a leaf player would even look at him.

The sky is falling only because of Markov's injury.

If that had never happened, I'd be arguing that the team D will improve over time and that probably by mid-season will be where it needs to be. Hammer will also help.

And you're right. As confused as the D looked at times, it also looked tougher, collectively. The obvious negatives shouldn't blind us to the positives.

And you're right. As confused as the D looked at times, it also looked tougher, collectively. The obvious negatives shouldn't blind us to the positives.

So, after the opposition scores (again), we can beat them up! :lol::P

we have some cap room to bring a guy in (markov ltir) We could make a trade but this early in the year maybe not too likely. teams don't know what they have and want to see what happens. We do have assets to trade sk74 halak ak hamerlick pleks, but I think that for now Bob is going to give weber a chance to see what he can do. He was a late cut which usually means he is close to coming up.

Most shots last night were from the outside, and the rebounds were cleared, so they weren't ceding the front of the goal (in contrast to the Leafs who let the Habs run Toskala and pot a couple easy goals from the lip of the crease). It was the turnovers on the breakouts that were the problem... and that's precisely what Martin is trying to work on.

But without Markov, we have a very limited ceiling as to how good our breakouts will be.

Spacek, Hamrlik, and Gorges will be the go-to-guys out there. Mara, O'Byrne and Gill will have to step up as well. I don't know if they'll put Weber into the lineup immediately or maybe just for the PP as a forward... probably try and go with the same lineup for a while unless the PP is suffering big time.

No, with Markov and Hamr in the lineup they aren't bottom-five in the league. At least, after last night's display, that should be the conclusion one might come to.

The conclusion one might come to if he gets emotional and loses his senses. Any judgment of players with established careers based on a few shifts you saw in a single game is not credible.

Markov's a #1, Spacek and Hamrlik are 2nd pairing guys, Gorges, Mara and Gill are bottom pairing defenders, O'Byrne's making the jump from 7th to 6th. Show me teams in the East with better.

we have some cap room to bring a guy in (markov ltir) We could make a trade but this early in the year maybe not too likely. teams don't know what they have and want to see what happens. We do have assets to trade sk74 halak ak hamerlick pleks, but I think that for now Bob is going to give weber a chance to see what he can do. He was a late cut which usually means he is close to coming up.

fair enough. suban needs sometime in the AHL. so Weber would be the natural call up.. TSN is also predicting that Weber will join the team...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293425

But if PK, shows a solid start in Hamilton; I would be keen on bringing him up for a tryout. His speed, shot, creativity, vision and desire would be a nice fit into the empty spot in the PP. Just hope he as the ability to transfer those skills to the NHL.

fair enough. suban needs sometime in the AHL. so Weber would be the natural call up.. TSN is also predicting that Weber will join the team...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=293425

But if PK, shows a solid start in Hamilton; I would be keen on bringing him up for a tryout. His speed, shot, creativity, vision and desire would be a nice fit into the empty spot in the PP. Just hope he as the ability to transfer those skills to the NHL.

and when they were in trouble late last year on defence they called him up so he seems to be pretty close to number 1 call up on defence. :hlogo:

I'd have Weber ahead of Subban on my depth chart at this stage. At least he has some bona-fide NHL experience and looked pretty good.

The only plus side here is that by facing an unholy crisis of this kind, this early in the season, these players could be forced to come together a lot more quickly and intensely than before. Everyone will realize that with the Key Cog out of the lineup for an extended period, they're facing total debacle unless everyone raises their game. It's just possible that this will be the magic bullet that creates the "chemistry" we need: desperation.

Nonetheless, anyone who had the Habs finishing 6-8 has to adjust their predictions downwards at this point. :puke:

Based on Bob's pattern of behaviour since 2007, he will not sit around but will make a deal for help on D. Watch for one or both of the Kostitsyns to be shipped out of town in return for a blueliner.

I like your "desperation chemistry" thought, it offers a little bit of hope.

I am sure Bob is at least thinking of options involving SK and a replacement for AK (if involved in a deal) or Markov (I expect Bob to look at Weber or Carle first).

hey they are in FIRST place right now, let's see if they can hold onto that. :lol:

I wish my first post back to HW after the summer break would be under better circumstances...

I wish Markov a speedy recovery. Although it's easy to see a lot of doom and gloom right now, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll somehow manage, as difficult as it sounds. :hlogo:

I wish my first post back to HW after the summer break would be under better circumstances...

I wish Markov a speedy recovery. Although it's easy to see a lot of doom and gloom right now, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll somehow manage, as difficult as it sounds. :hlogo:

I wish Andrei and full--and speedy recovery.

I think that now we will really see if Bob's changes are good ones.

Interesting take from the G&M

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/frenc...article1309791/

I wish Andrei and full--and speedy recovery.

I think that now we will really see if Bob's changes are good ones.

Interesting take from the G&M

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/frenc...article1309791/

kind of a freaking scary take. don't even mention spacek in that context :angry: