Swedish Goalie Tommy Salo retires?

Doktor Kosmos

Rumor has it Tommy Salo has scheduled a meeting tomorrow with MoDo's "executive of sports operations" Bengt Hedin to tell him the news. I have no English links and at this point I take it more as a rumor than a fact, but they are debating it on the sports broadcast on the radio (from the 7th game of the quarterfinals between Timrå and Djurgården).

What do people have agaisnt Aebischer? He went 32-19-9 last season with a 2.09 GAA and .921 sv%. Those are fine numbers for a guy in his first season as the #1 goalie. Just for comparison, that's more wins and a better GAA than Theo had when he won the Vezina.

And it wasn't that they were not patient with Marc Denis. When the expansion draft came, they deemed that it was not in their best interest to protect Denis over the other players they protected.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

What do people have agaisnt Aebischer?  He went 32-19-9 last season with a 2.09 GAA and .921 sv%.  Those are fine numbers for a guy in his first season as the #1 goalie.  Just for comparison, that's more wins and a better GAA than Theo had when he won the Vezina.

Isn't it about living in the shadow of Patrick Roy?

What do people have agaisnt Aebischer?  He went 32-19-9 last season with a 2.09 GAA and .921 sv%.  Those are fine numbers for a guy in his first season as the #1 goalie.  Just for comparison, that's more wins and a better GAA than Theo had when he won the Vezina.

And it wasn't that they were not patient with Marc Denis.  When the expansion draft came, they deemed that it was not in their best interest to protect Denis over the other players they protected.  

Ditto.

I also don't know what everyone is saying about Aebischer. Of course he isn't the new Roy but this guy is a very good goalie and why shouldn't he be able to win a Stanley Cup some day?

[Edited on 2005/3/17 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

And to clarify my statement on Aebischer, I think he's good enough to help get a team to the playoffs, but not good enough to see a team through the playoffs. Yes, he put up great numbers this year, but it was a great year for goaltenders all around. If he continues to put up those numbers, I will glady shut my mouth and tip my hat to him.

He has retired but has opted for staying within the club. Not clear what his job will be be but Im guessing that it has to do something with the Forsberg family.

Father Kent will be replaced by Mora's Harald Lückner.

Peter has just let everybody know that he won't participate in the world championship. Acctually almost every swedish star has declined. Finland, Russia, Slovakia and Czech Republic, Canada and USA will send their best so the positively swedish trend with hockey in Austria might be broken...

Well, back to Salo, he and Peter are good friends, I think they own a trotter together and I see this as a sign that Peter Forsberg won't play in the NHL again. Whatever happens.

What do people have agaisnt Aebischer? He went 32-19-9 last season with a 2.09 GAA and .921 sv%. Those are fine numbers for a guy in his first season as the #1 goalie. Just for comparison, that's more wins and a better GAA than Theo had when he won the Vezina.

And it wasn't that they were not patient with Marc Denis. When the expansion draft came, they deemed that it was not in their best interest to protect Denis over the other players they protected.

Aebischer also has a huge benefit playing behind Blake and Foote. THeodore didn't.

I always felt it was a huge mistake for the Avs to give up on Denis. He is arguably the most underrated player in the league. Columbus is gonna be friggin scary when they mature.