I sure miss Komisarek

:lol:

That's using the old noodle! And note the bungled attempt at 'truculence' that started the whole mess only to see Komi on his arse along the boards. :lol::lol:

Does a habs fan good.

If he keeps this up, Komi will be the scapegoat in Toronto.

I still don't understand why Burke thought it was imperative to raise the expectation so quickly with that many

question marks. His biggest downfall has always been his ego.

During the offseason, living in T.O. you would think the Leafs had signed Stevens and Niedermayer and acquired Henrik Lundqvist from Sweden.

What's funny is how the media went along. Look, I like both Komisarek and Beauchemin as defencemen, and I *think* they'll probably start looking better as things progress, but both come with the same huge asterisk: each established himself as top-4 defencemen only after being paired with all-star-calibre partners. It is amazing in retrospect that more was not made of that question. Pierre MacGuire even went so far as to suggest that markov would be 'exposed' without Komisarek. The mind reels.

What's funny is how the media went along. Look, I like both Komisarek and Beauchemin as defencemen, and I *think* they'll probably start looking better as things progress, but both come with the same huge asterisk: each established himself as top-4 defencemen only after being paired with all-star-calibre partners. It is amazing in retrospect that more was not made of that question. Pierre MacGuire even went so far as to suggest that markov would be 'exposed' without Komisarek. The mind reels.

I used to like both of them. Personally I think the Laffs really only needed one of them, if even one at all. Both are supposed to be saviors and a team only needs so many large dmen that are slow that like to take themselves way out of position for the sake of making a hit. Both seem to be penalty prone and are defensive liabilities. Both of them truly need an all star dmen to be paired with and both cant play with Kaberle.

MacGuire is so smart, he knew Markov would be exposed to Prices skate if Komi wasnt around. ^_^

The funny thing is that Burke did exactly what Fletcher did. Went out and signed a bunch of expensive defense to improve the team. Flether's Dmen failed and Burke got rid of them all. I will laugh my ass off if Burke's Dmen fail and they have to unload them too.

They still have Finger, who is actually fairly decent, although most people dont really know who he is.

Ironically I beleive that Fletcher did a better GM job than Burke, and JFJ was probably even better than Fletcher. :lol:

I'm also loving the Laffs Gainey Carbo problem that they have going on right now. Burke and Wilson are really good friends, and he doesnt want to fire him. Usually when a new GM comes in he brings in his own coach, but Wilson was there before Burke.

Are the Komi lovers still pissed off that Bob didnt resign him? The Habs could have been worst overall too. :P

I miss Komi so much.. I wish he could play on all our opposing teams, not just 6 times a year.

I get much joy out of my Leaf fan pals at work.. they are convinced Komi is a habs plant to ruin the leafs. :)

Somebody needs to create a website where they track everything McGuire says on TSN and grade him.

Toronto media spews verbal diarrhea on a daily basis. The fact that they had no idea what type of defenseman

Komisarek or Beauchemin were shows this. Hyping a goaltender who had never seen an NHL minute

as the guy who would lead a lottery team to the playoffs is further evidence.

Komisarek is no different that Hal Gill in that when miscast he is exposed, when he is placed in the proper position

(beside Markov) it changes his responsibilities and effectiveness.

I still do not regret spending $4.5M per season on him. The only reason I was mad when he signed in Toronto was

because A. IT was Toronto and B. I had become attached after a decade.

Are the Komi lovers still pissed off that Bob didnt resign him?

Yes because Mike would not have been as aweful with the habs as what we are seeing in toronto. tornnto really sucks this year. Mike is playing like an idiot right now cause he's trying to do too much to justify his big salary. He's not the first NHLer to do this, and will not be the last.

Also, Burke and Wilson are probably tellig him to hit everything that moves...whereas in MOntreal under Jacques martin, the instructions he would have received would probably be something like. Stay at home, don't get out of position unless you can assuredly take out the puck carrier...which in turn would make him look much better.

Yes because Mike would not have been as aweful with the habs as what we are seeing in toronto. tornnto really sucks this year. Mike is playing like an idiot right now cause he's trying to do too much to justify his big salary. He's not the first NHLer to do this, and will not be the last.

Also, Burke and Wilson are probably tellig him to hit everything that moves...whereas in MOntreal under Jacques martin, the instructions he would have received would probably be something like. Stay at home, don't get out of position unless you can assuredly take out the puck carrier...which in turn would make him look much better.

Moot point since it is clear we would have had to give him an even bigger salary to stay in Montreal. He was not that good last year either.

Moot point since it is clear we would have had to give him an even bigger salary to stay in Montreal. He was not that good last year either.

Last year was ONE year. People seem to conveniently omit the fact that he was injured for most of the year!! He was more than adequate the 3 years before that!

Again, Had gainey been willing to negotiate with him earlier, we could have signed him for 3.5 or 4 million$

Anyways, what's done is done. I'm happy to see the Leafs playing like shit this year, but I'm somewhat sad to see Komo struggle!

:clap:

Last year was ONE year. People seem to conveniently omit the fact that he was injured for most of the year!! He was more than adequate the 3 years before that!

Again, Had gainey been willing to negotiate with him earlier, we could have signed him for 3.5 or 4 million$

Anyways, what's done is done. I'm happy to see the Leafs playing like shit this year, but I'm somewhat sad to see Komo struggle!

:clap::clap:

I unno, personally I was never completely sold on Komi. I think Habs fans have overrated him because he was on their team, plus he's big so everybody liked him because of his possible potential being his size. Komi has never lived up to his size potential, and at this point I'm fairly certain that he never will. Komi is by far pound for pound the largest whimp in the NHL. Its sad, but totally true.

Everybody talks aboot Komi's big hits, and I dont really know what they are on aboot. Komi's "big hits" literally remind me of lil Darcy Tucker. i.e. take a run at somebody against the boards and throw yourself into the boards making a big loud impressive thud sound. It only appears that he mad a huge bone crushing hit from the sound them throwing himself into the boards. At least when Tucker takes runs at people they sometimes stay down, with Komi they pretty much always get up, so how big are his hits really? All Komi really does when he makes "big hits' is take himself way out of position. Markov and Habs F were able to help compensate for that, but the Laffs arent defensive enough to be able to handle having a dman out near the blue line and along the side boards.

I have to admit, I was one of the ones who wanted Komisarek re-signed. But his performance in TO so far is proving his critics right and redounding to Gainey's credit for refusing to overpay. It's just possible that, where our talent-evaluation process went awry with Streit, it was spot on with Komisarek. Time will tell, though. But so far I'm lovin' it.

I unno, personally I was never completely sold on Komi. I think Habs fans have overrated him because he was on their team, plus he's big so everybody liked him because of his possible potential being his size. Komi has never lived up to his size potential, and at this point I'm fairly certain that he never will. Komi is by far pound for pound the largest whimp in the NHL. Its sad, but totally true.

Everybody talks aboot Komi's big hits, and I dont really know what they are on aboot. Komi's "big hits" literally remind me of lil Darcy Tucker. i.e. take a run at somebody against the boards and throw yourself into the boards making a big loud impressive thud sound. It only appears that he mad a huge bone crushing hit from the sound them throwing himself into the boards. At least when Tucker takes runs at people they sometimes stay down, with Komi they pretty much always get up, so how big are his hits really? All Komi really does when he makes "big hits' is take himself way out of position. Markov and Habs F were able to help compensate for that, but the Laffs arent defensive enough to be able to handle having a dman out near the blue line and along the side boards.

Wow...seems like they could've found some better ones. If that's his "top 10" I'm not very impressed. I don't think he's the worst defender out there, but he's a solid physical dman if played in the appropriate role. I'd say the salary he got was a bit much for a guy who's neither an offensive threat, or a true shutdown dman.

My only claim to fame for Komi is that I met him in Vail when he was there as a rookie. Big kid. I was also the goober visible behind him when RDS was interviewing him outside the rink.

That link completely supports what I said: what "big hits" :lol:

Wow...seems like they could've found some better ones. If that's his "top 10" I'm not very impressed. I don't think he's the worst defender out there, but he's a solid physical dman if played in the appropriate role. I'd say the salary he got was a bit much for a guy who's neither an offensive threat, or a true shutdown dman.

No kidding, but those are probably the best top 10 of his hits.

In all but 1 of those hits every player gets up instantly and in the 1 you dont see the guy get its because he is off the screen, I'm sure he got up too. Top 10 weakest hits from a huge guy where the other guy gets up instantly is more like it. In 1 of the clips the guy actually manages to get the puck back, and in basically all of them the player is still in the play, but Komi is left way out of position after the hit. Exactly like I said, Komis hits are completely Tuckerish in nature: big sound, little damage.

You want to see a real Top 10 big hits give this a gander:

See, people are concussed, players are laying on the ice, they're being carried off, every player is totally out of the play after the hit, etc in basically every 1 of the 10 hits. Thats a real hitter. In Komi's top 10 not 1 of any of those things happened, not one. Say what you want aboot Komi's big hits, its a complete joke. Now consider this, Stevens was only 6'-2" 215 lbs, Komi is 6'-4" 240. Whats his excuse?

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

That link completely supports what I said: what "big hits" :lol:

No kidding, but those are probably the best top 10 of his hits.

In all but 1 of those hits every player gets up instantly and in the 1 you dont see the guy get its because he is off the screen, I'm sure he got up too. Top 10 weakest hits from a huge guy where the other guy gets up instantly is more like it. In 1 of the clips the guy actually manages to get the puck back, and in basically all of them the player is still in the play, but Komi is left way out of position after the hit. Exactly like I said, Komis hits are completely Tuckerish in nature: big sound, little damage.

You want to see a real Top 10 big hits give this a gander:

See, people are concussed, players are laying on the ice, they're being carried off, every player is totally out of the play after the hit, etc in basically every 1 of the 10 hits. Thats a real hitter. In Komi's top 10 not 1 of any of those things happened, not one. Say what you want aboot Komi's big hits, its a complete joke. Now consider this, Stevens was only 6'-2" 215 lbs, Komi is 6'-4" 240. Whats his excuse?

he' a big pussy.

So, wait, injury is the basis for good hits?

If Komi makes "big hits" then apparently the basis for a good hit must be putting yourself way out of position to make a hit where the hit player gets up instantly and often has better positioning in the play on the hitter after the hit.

A big player making a hit doesnt constitute a "big hit" ^_^

That Top ten sucked. They didn't even include his hit on Joe Thronton in the playoffs 5 years ago...you know the one where he cracked a few of Thornton's Ribs!!

Edited by Habsfan

Stevens' D partner is as responsible for most of his hits as Scott is. So many of his big hits are a result of the defender drawing the forward over into Stevens' shoulder, totally blindsiding the guy. Montreal's D strategy for years has been to force guys to the outside, away from their D partner.

Stevens' D partner is as responsible for most of his hits as Scott is. So many of his big hits are a result of the defender drawing the forward over into Stevens' shoulder, totally blindsiding the guy. Montreal's D strategy for years has been to force guys to the outside, away from their D partner.

Many of Stevens's legendary hits were actually elbows anyway. It was a sad time for hockey when those hits were being celebrated as great examples of how the game should be played. A disgrace.

The point of hits is not to ruin people's lives anyway; it is to take players out of the play and inflict punishment that makes them back off the next time around. There's a difference.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber