Habs vs. Avalanche | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Could you guys stop your bickering about Price?

Were they stoppable goals? Definitely yes, especially the 1st. Were they bad goals? No. End of the story.

Price was adequate. Not any better, not any worse, just adequate.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think they played that poorly. The played a decent first, the traditional no show after getting the lead for a period, then a decent third. The caught 2 bad breaks on defelections, then a defensemen came to the defense of a team mate, took himself out of position, and the re was player left in front of the net on the third. Bitching and complaining about everything is Price's fault is getting very old, tiresome and frankly most of the time not even true.

Good news:

played about 40 minutes pretty well

The second line was pretty good, better when Cammi joined the first

The top line had some opportunities, couldn't finsh.

Defense solid for the most part

Bad News:

PP did have a goal but was looking for the perfect play too much

I have no idea what the third line is doing out there, where has Lapierre gone?

Bad luck, if they didn't have it they wouldn't have any luck.

Could you guys stop your bickering about Price?

Were they stoppable goals? Definitely yes, especially the 1st. Were they bad goals? No. End of the story.

Price was adequate. Not any better, not any worse, just adequate.

Exactly. I am not blaming Price, it was an acceptable performance, but an exceptional performance may

have netted a win. I have been defending him for 2+ seasons, I am certainly not dumping on him. I just think

when he is sharp that the 1st goal does not go in.

They are making positive strides and I try (hard as it may be) to not judge them until at least the 10 game mark.

I do have concerns, but I realize that 2-4 does not bury you and one 5 game win streak and everything is fine.

.500 until Markov returns is my goal, anything more is gravy, anything less is a disappointment.

I didn't think they played that poorly. The played a decent first, the traditional no show after getting the lead for a period, then a decent third. The caught 2 bad breaks on defelections, then a defensemen came to the defense of a team mate, took himself out of position, and the re was player left in front of the net on the third. Bitching and complaining about everything is Price's fault is getting very old, tiresome and frankly most of the time not even true.

Good news:

played about 40 minutes pretty well

The second line was pretty good, better when Cammi joined the first

The top line had some opportunities, couldn't finsh.

Defense solid for the most part

Bad News:

PP did have a goal but was looking for the perfect play too much

I have no idea what the third line is doing out there, where has Lapierre gone?

Bad luck, if they didn't have it they wouldn't have any luck.

I don't see a ton of people blaming Price. I am certainly not blaming him for the loss.

Exactly. I am not blaming Price, it was an acceptable performance, but an exceptional performance may

have netted a win. I have been defending him for 2+ seasons, I am certainly not dumping on him. I just think

when he is sharp that the 1st goal does not go in.

They are making positive strides and I try (hard as it may be) to not judge them until at least the 10 game mark.

I do have concerns, but I realize that 2-4 does not bury you and one 5 game win streak and everything is fine.

.500 until Markov returns is my goal, anything more is gravy, anything less is a disappointment.

Agreed. The issue right now is that until the team in front gels, it appears we only win when the goalie is on top of his game (see Price's first and second starts). Price absolutely should have had the first goal, but that might not have be enough for a win. We had long periods of domination in the other teams end, but unless we bury our chances we will be at the whim of the bounces.

This game could have been 3-0 by the time that first goal went in, which would have made it moot. I sure hope this team gets its act together soon, but I do see signs of hope. The first line may not have scored, but they were generating chances galore. They spent most of their night all over the AVs. The second line is starting to come around and if AK keeps progressing, then Pleks and him will continue to have success.

I think our 4th line is a joke and I am really tired of how useless our 3rd line is. (laps and lats.. looking at you). I hope when Metro gets back we can rejig the bottom lines to make them more effective.

On defense, I see progress. Given we are missing Markov and O'byrne, I think the boys are starting to firm up. They don't look nearly as bad as they did a few games ago. I don't know why people are all over Gil, he make some great plays.

I agree that the Refs were horrible last night...but that went both ways. True they missed some calls against the Avs, but let's not forget that Pek's goal should never have counted, the puck had just hit the net, and with 45 seconds to go in the game, the Habs had 7 players out on the ice...not 6 but SEVEN, and the refs didn't call anything.

The Habs lost this game cause they didn't bury their chances with the PP's they got and their lack of effort in the 2nd period!

I agree that the Refs were horrible last night...but that went both ways. True they missed some calls against the Avs, but let's not forget that Pek's goal should never have counted, the puck had just hit the net, and with 45 seconds to go in the game, the Habs had 7 players out on the ice...not 6 but SEVEN, and the refs didn't call anything.

The Habs lost this game cause they didn't bury their chances with the PP's they got and their lack of effort in the 2nd period!

Yeah, I try to stay away from blaming officials, but they were extremely useless last night. I can imagine the rage in here

if the Habs had been tied when the puck went out of play and the other team had 7 skaters on the ice in the last minute.

Price has not let in one stinker this season and the only goals that I would take even a modicum of issue are the breakaway

against Raymond off the wing and the first one last night. But that is nitpicking. It is one of the reasons a goaltender cannot be

judged on statistics alone, how many goaltenders in the league would have a .920+ SV% facing what Price has this season?

They stole two games to start the year and lost two games (Flames/Avs) they should have won.

I am just waiting for a 60 minute effort, when that happens I will be happier.

Unbelievable. :wacko:

LOL... believe it.. the same play happened at the other end, including a deflection. Anderson was in his butterfly, stick down.. no holes.. it hit him.

Price definitely wanted that one back. I don't know why people are so astonished about it. It wasn't why they lost, but it was not Price's finest moment either.

For me, this loss can be explained by bad bounces - those WERE weird goals and in my view Price played well enough to win - and the ongoing problem that we're lacking 1-2 top-6 forwards. Kostitsyn had one great shift leading to the second Plekanec goal, so full credit for that; but in the early going we have consistently lacked that extra bit of secondary scoring. It may yet come. If Kosty can continue improving, then we'll be missing ONE top-6 forward instead of two. Nonetheless, this problem may have to be addressed before we go too much further.

On balance, the Habs looked pretty good in defeat. It's not like TO where you have a hard time imagining the team ever winning a game. .500 before Markov comes back is surely realistic, but we need the bounces to start going our way, and soon. If this keeps up we get a media firestorm, players clutching their sticks, and possible disaster.

Random thoughts:

Hamrlik, Gomez, Gionta, Moen, Plekanec and Mara strike me as players who are either rounding into form or have been pleasant surprises from the get-go this season; if any of them get hurt or falter, we could be in HUGE trouble.

Pacioretty is looking better in the last couple of games. Expect the 4th line to be more competitive at home now that Martin has the last change.

Meanwhile, some questions:

1. What's the scoop with Spacek? I never paid much attention to this guy before the Habs signed him, but I know that he was much-loved by fans in Columbus and that he was Buffalo's de facto #1 D-man last season. Scouting reports routinely cite his 'hard point shot.' On that basis, I figured Bob had done well to sign him, giving us a legitimate puck-moving defenceman and PP QB to back up Markov. But so far this season, while he hasn't played badly, I haven't seen many signs of a particularly efficient contributor to our transitional game, nor have I seen any especially impressive point-presence on the PP. Heck, I rate Mara as a better signing at this point. He's gone from being a possible secret weapon to being a somewhat anonymous contributor to a middling defence corps. Is this the best we can expect???

2. What is with the refereeing? I don't mean the specific bungles last night. I mean the general increase in holding, interference, and other ills that the 'new NHL' was supposed to purge. Am I wrong to think the game is being called differently these days? Can the NHL please make up its %^&*%&*%*%* mind? (Needless to say, clutching and grabbing works to the disadvantage of the Habs' smallish forwards).

3. Should we be getting worried about Cammalleri? 4 assists in 6 games and a relatively quiet night last night, when I'd have expected him to be especially hyped-up. Apart from those great plays in Game 1, he hasn't looked like the $6-million-man. Not trying to slag him, but it won't be long before these questions start to get raised by the remorseless Montreal media.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

For what this all worth, I have a source that has a ‘inside source’ ( Not Ek ) . However, I trust my source 100% and assume his secret inside source is creditable. Until January 2009 he held the highest position as COB and CEO so his circle of friends might support this. One I do know of, is the CFO of the Toronto maple leafs, don’t think he is the inside source for this Habs story.

The Montreal Canadiens are aware Price has a drinking problem. They have counseled Price on this problem in fact, Coach Martin’s trip out west to visit with him this summer was also to give him advice as to where this path will lead and offer support. He is just another young kid with lots of money and 3000 miles from the guidance of his Mother and Father.

As of Thanksgiving Sunday the ‘inside source’ still claims there is a problem. This just might explain his mixed start this year as just a continuation of last season.

I am not trying to start a rumor only offering a possible explanation for his mediocre play.

For what this all worth, I have a source that has a ‘inside source’ ( Not Ek ) . However, I trust my source 100% and assume his secret inside source is creditable. Until January 2009 he held the highest position as COB and CEO so his circle of friends might support this. One I do know of, is the CFO of the Toronto maple leafs, don’t think he is the inside source for this Habs story.

The Montreal Canadiens are aware Price has a drinking problem. They have counseled Price on this problem in fact, Coach Martin’s trip out west to visit with him this summer was also to give him advice as to where this path will lead and offer support. He is just another young kid with lots of money and 3000 miles from the guidance of his Mother and Father.

As of Thanksgiving Sunday the ‘inside source’ still claims there is a problem. This just might explain his mixed start this year as just a continuation of last season.

I am not trying to start a rumor only offering a possible explanation for his mediocre play.

Same here. I think I have a drinking problem.

Colin as well...

my god man if he can play like this drunk we may have the next theo fleury of goaltending. personally i don't think this is true but if it is I am pretty sure Bob would be all over this in a heart beat. He has too much invested in this kid to let that happen. Also I don't happen to think his play is mixed results. he has played well. of course after the vancouver game i think i developed a drinking problem so i couldn't blame him. :hlogo: :lol:

This is ridiculous. If Price had a drinking problem, the team would send him to rehab, not to the nets. Sure, maybe he parties more than some people like (unsubstantiated), but there's a difference between that and having a drinking problem.

The habs drive me to drink too, not sure I can fault Price for it. :)

Seriously, I bet this drinking problem is merely the typical.. too much partying by the youngsters. They all go through it. At least he is not smoking during intermission. :)

my god man if he can play like this drunk we may have the next theo fleury of goaltending. personally i don't think this is true but if it is I am pretty sure Bob would be all over this in a heart beat. He has too much invested in this kid to let that happen. Also I don't happen to think his play is mixed results. he has played well. of course after the vancouver game i think i developed a drinking problem so i couldn't blame him. :hlogo: :lol:

There you go . . . you’re drinking problem ( after the Vancouver game )has clouded the expectations of the recent play of Price. Once one lowers their expectations then the bar may not be as high for them. Enablers make excuses for many kinds of abuses. Price is not at 50% of the level he was when he first fought with Huet to be the rotation. Fleury reported the Flames knew of his problems as he failed testing a couple of times. BG must know ,otherwise why would Martin make the trip in the summer to talk to Price in person. Remember for BG Price is the face of the franchise . Two coach's , Julien and Carbonneau have been fired by Gainey for wanting to sit Price in the pressbox. He is Gainey's pet project. And would lose face with the new owners if he gave in now.

Saturday try viewing without a drink you may see the true Price rather than your imaginary one.

That was a game that could have gone either way, both teams played like they deserved to win. With some luck (and maybe better reffing), we could have easily had that.

Haha, kind of funny to complain about the reffing. Plekanec's goal was bogus and the Habs had 7 men on the ice for the last 20 seconds. From what I've read, both sides have significant complaints with the reffing.

take Laraque out of the lineup...or tell him that this game isn't like NHL10 (everything relies on board play in that damn video game!)

Andrei seems lost since Sergei got sent down. I think its time for a shake-up with the lines to get more pucks in the net.

Pacioretty-Gomez-Cammalleri

Andrei-Plekanec-Gionta

Latendresse-Lapierre-Sergei

Stewart-Metropolit-Moen

There you go . . . you're drinking problem ( after the Vancouver game )has clouded the expectations of the recent play of Price. Once one lowers their expectations then the bar may not be as high for them. Enablers make excuses for many kinds of abuses. Price is not at 50% of the level he was when he first fought with Huet to be the rotation. Fleury reported the Flames knew of his problems as he failed testing a couple of times. BG must know ,otherwise why would Martin make the trip in the summer to talk to Price in person. Remember for BG Price is the face of the franchise . Two coach's , Julien and Carbonneau have been fired by Gainey for wanting to sit Price in the pressbox. He is Gainey's pet project. And would lose face with the new owners if he gave in now.

Saturday try viewing without a drink you may see the true Price rather than your imaginary one.

Julien was fired for sitting Theodore in the pressbox, not Price. :rolleyes:

Andrie had his best game yet. If you go back in this thread, I commented on it well before any points were on the board. Paccioretti may have been all over the ice, but he looked solid too. And to the guy who wants to move plek to the first line... Did you watch the game? Gomez is awesome. He uses so much speed when he stick hanles into the zone. He is a true first line centre. Without Gomez, we wouldn't even get into the zone on the PP. He's not 8 million awesome, but I am very impressed with him.

What is up with Spacek and cammie. I agree with CC on this one. These are two high profile guys who right now are playing good, but I am not seeing the love. They aren't disapointing me, but I'm not seeing a whole lot from them.

Belle looked very good in his first game. Watched an interview after. This guy is ripped. He had a red shirt on and there was muscle on top of muscle. Hope he continues to improve.

There you go . . . you’re drinking problem ( after the Vancouver game )has clouded the expectations of the recent play of Price. Once one lowers their expectations then the bar may not be as high for them. Enablers make excuses for many kinds of abuses. Price is not at 50% of the level he was when he first fought with Huet to be the rotation. Fleury reported the Flames knew of his problems as he failed testing a couple of times. BG must know ,otherwise why would Martin make the trip in the summer to talk to Price in person. Remember for BG Price is the face of the franchise . Two coach's , Julien and Carbonneau have been fired by Gainey for wanting to sit Price in the pressbox. He is Gainey's pet project. And would lose face with the new owners if he gave in now.

you have a hard time discerning humour, don't you? maybe it is you who is drunk.