Avtsin Update

Tony

Didn't see that this was posted anywhere.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...le-canadien.php

To summarize for those who don't read French:

-Avtsin is coming to come over in August to try to make the team.

-Avtsin has a 2 year deal in the KHL.

-He has a good relationship with the Dynamo GM but worse comes to worse if he doesn't want Avtsin to go, Avtsin will use his out-clause in his contract to come to NA.

-His agent said before the draft, Avtsin said he wanted to be drafted by the Habs in Montreal and dreamed about playing for them (this could be just typical agent filler).

-His agent, a former scout for the Sens and Preds, thinks (much like Habitforming :P) that he was a steal in the fourth round and that on talent alone he's a top 10 pick

The rest of the article pretty much talks about how the GM of the Montreal Juniors, who recently acquired his QMJHL rights from Patrick Roy's Remparts, is happy to have him on his team. He talked to the Habs to find out more about him and they told him they expected him to come to North America for next season.

Edited by Tony

Sure, remember those were his words not mine. I don't know anything about the guy other then the interview at the draft and what the draft people said.

I don't even know his height, weight, what position. I think a RW.

It would be nice to see an actual draft pick come over and kick down the door and force the team to keep him on the roster. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Please don't say Lats.

This is a player who absolutely tore up the russian junior league with 56 goals and 110 points in 76 games. He's now 18 and playing (despite little ice time) with Dynamo Moscow. This shows that he was clearly a step (or a few) ahead of the other players in junior, enough so to make the KHL at 18. Hopefully he gets used to the pace of the game and tears up the Q.

I'm assuming the Habs will ask him to go to the Q (like they told Sergei to take an extra year in London and tear it up with Gagne and Kane).

There's definitely some incredible upside to this player, and he could surprise many as a 4th round pick. He's clearly a victim of the reluctance of NHL teams to draft Russians.

Here's his Hockey News bio.

http://forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?7667

Didn't see that this was posted anywhere.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...le-canadien.php

To summarize for those who don't read French:

-Avtsin is coming to come over in August to try to make the team.

-Avtsin has a 2 year deal in the KHL.

-He has a good relationship with the Dynamo GM but worse comes to worse if he doesn't want Avtsin to go, Avtsin will use his out-clause in his contract to come to NA.

-His agent said before the draft, Avtsin said he wanted to be drafted by the Habs in Montreal and dreamed about playing for them (this could be just typical agent filler).

-His agent, a former scout for the Sens and Preds, thinks (much like Habitforming :P) that he was a steal in the fourth round and that on talent alone he's a top 10 pick

The rest of the article pretty much talks about how the GM of the Montreal Juniors, who recently acquired his QMJHL rights from Patrick Roy's Remparts, is happy to have him on his team. He talked to the Habs to find out more about him and they told him they expected him to come to North America for next season.

He is a sure fire talent, that's for sure.

The real game breaker and reason he will do well in the NHL is his attitude. He is a non-typical Russian player in that sense, and his attitude is very much like Ovechkin's..... Just don't tell him that. ;)

Moscow's supposed to be the deepest team in the league. He wasn't expected to make it. 10 minutes per game isn't bad.

Don't worry. He will either never come over (Yemelin), come to Hamilton for a week, hate it and leave (Valentenko), make the team and then regress into a sulky, erratic head case (Kostitsyns), or get stuck on the third line as a checker, get bored and leave (Perezhogin).

Don't worry. He will either never come over (Yemelin), come to Hamilton for a week, hate it and leave (Valentenko), make the team and then regress into a sulky, erratic head case (Kostitsyns), or get stuck on the third line as a checker, get bored and leave (Perezhogin).

Hate the Russians eh?

Hate the Russians eh?

I'm no Don Cherry. It's just that I'm just sick to death of the Gainey Habs being burned by these guys from the former USSR. Yemelin in particular really galls. I'd be amazed if any other organization has had as many high-profile 'Russian' prospects go totally AWOL on them in so short a time.

Oh well, maybe we've used up our quota of Abuse by Russians and are due for a good one...

That was my point.... he doesn't have any of the attitudes of the players you listed.

He can't wait to come over, and he doesn't care how long he has to play in the AHL until he makes the NHL roster.

I'm no Don Cherry. It's just that I'm just sick to death of the Gainey Habs being burned by these guys from the former USSR. Yemelin in particular really galls. I'd be amazed if any other organization has had as many high-profile 'Russian' prospects go totally AWOL on them in so short a time.

Oh well, maybe we've used up our quota of Abuse by Russians and are due for a good one...

Markov?

Yes I understand what you are saying but I think we must treat each case as a separate entity, Montreal has had many other players from Sweden and Finland never come over as well.

Yes I understand what you are saying but I think we must treat each case as a separate entity, Montreal has had many other players from Sweden and Finland never come over as well.

Yes, yes...all I'm saying is I won't get my hopes up until this guy has spent at least a year on the farm without a peep.

I'm still excited. It's most definitely a good sign if the kid is 18 and has cracked a full time spot on the KHL team. As long as he doesn't get lured into to sticking around I guess. We'll see!

Yes, yes...all I'm saying is I won't get my hopes up until this guy has spent at least a year on the farm without a peep.

Heh, Valentenko DID spend a year on the farm without a peep. As soon as Year 2 started, he started fielding the KHL calls.

And you forgot in your rundown a special category for Grabovski as well. :lol:

I find it pretty annoying that Habs fans seem only capable to think it terms of honor, loyalty, pride, etc. but not in terms of practicality.

Imagine you are a young hockey player of 18 or 19 living here in Montreal. Now imagine you get drafted into the KHL and they want you to come over to play in their minor league. Sure, the fans of whatever KHL team you got drafted to may be fanatic about their team but what is it to you? Just another team in a foreign league. So to play for this team, you have to leave your family and friends and travel to a country where you don't know anyone for undetermined amount of time, possibly many years. All at 18 or 19. I think that's a major commitment for someone of any age, let alone late teens or early twenties. Now try and imagine all of the small factors. You don't know the language. Picking up a new language is hard. And maybe French to English or vice versa may not be too tough, but Russian is a Slavic tongue where English is Anglo Saxon. The languages evolved in complete isolation form each other and are built differently to their very foundation. Also, maybe you have a young girlfriend who can't make the move with you. Sounds petty but I know for me that would be a major deciding factor. How about your education? There's a million different things Habs fans never even consider.

So give the Russians a break, man.

Edited by ForumGhost

For the most part, a draftee that plays in the AHL will receive upwards of $100k salary, not to mention signing bonuses and shit. That's a pretty good living, IMO. Maybe the KHL will offer more in the beginning to a young player, but there's no way a KHL team will pay any player the NHL league maximum or match the possible endorsement deals. The mean salary in the NHL is probably higher than the mean in the KHL.

So the money potential goes to NHL. So prospects that decide to return to the KHL or whatever, it is because they want the money NOW rather than later in their careers where they could make more. Or maybe they know they'll never be good enough for the NHL. Either way, they simply didn't want to stay and tough it out.

A 10 year NHL vet 4th liner or 5-6th dman can make at least a million. I'd be happy. Shit we got Laraque in the press box making $1,5M. I would think, given the size of the KHL and the market, a million is what they'd pay their top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen. I don't think they can pay anywhere close to NHL salaries.

Edited by fromage

Someone like Alex Henry who makes big bucks in the AHL makes about 200 000$ a year but that doesn't include taxes and living expenses.

KHL players don't get taxed on their salary and the majority, if not all teams, also pay for their players living expenses.

Look no further than Emelin, he would have been making like 80 000$ in the AHL instead of the 350 000$ he was rumored to make in the KHL.

Quite the difference.

Someone like Alex Henry who makes big bucks in the AHL makes about 200 000$ a year but that doesn't include taxes and living expenses.

KHL players don't get taxed on their salary and the majority, if not all teams, also pay for their players living expenses.

Look no further than Emelin, he would have been making like 80 000$ in the AHL instead of the 350 000$ he was rumored to make in the KHL.

Quite the difference.

As I've always said: if a guy is more interested in money than he is in working hard to make an NHL team and win a Stanley Cup, then good riddance.

Quite the difference.

Yeah, but minimum salary in the NHL is $500k. Emelin would probably get rookie max which is like $900k. Even after taxes(don't forget, foreign workers AKA europeans don't get taxed as much as Canadian citizens), he would come out ahead. Then after his rookie contract, he will most probably be in the $1M+ salary range.

There is more money in the NHL than the KHL. Point final.

Edited by fromage