Your Ideal Draft

kas

Just curious as to what everyone's ideal draft would be. Mine is:

10)C Zach Parise-future #1 center when Koivu loses a step or two. Small, but other than that the complete package of heart, grit, skating ability, and skill.

40)D Brent Seabrooke-Big strong defenseman who can clear the crease and punish opposing forwards. A less refined/skilled version of Komisarek.

PHI's 2nd)G Jonathan Boutin-I'm not really that familiar with the goalies in the draft, but I would like to see one added. Hackett's gone. Theo and Garon are up with the big club. Purrula is in Finland and Tarasov in Russia. Michaud had a terrible year. The Habs will dip into the Q, as it has worked for them before, and take a goalie with nice stats to ensure quality goaltending in the organization.

The first two picks both fit the AS mold of small, fast, and gritty forwards with great skill and powerful, intimidating defensemen who can protect them.

I don't know what but I like this kid. I haven't seen him that often but he just looks like a real player with solid all-round skills.

A Koivu-Parise duo would be great, but then where would that leave Ribeiro on the long run?

And would we risk having 3 small centers?

I don't think Koivu has even reached his peek potential yet: imagine him playing with real wingers for 82 games, and a defense that can actually jump up (like Markov does) and get it on the action.

Parise looks like Koivu, too: not too small, not big, fast, good overall skills and a lot of grit. I'm sure our captain would be a great teacher to him, kind of like Weight was with Comrie for a brief period of time!

Originally posted by Markov79

A Koivu-Parise duo would be great, but then where would that leave Ribeiro on the long run?

And would we risk having 3 small centers?

Well don't forget Higgins... can you say buh-bye Mikey?

If we pick a centre in the 1st round (maybe even the 2nd) that'll mean Ribeiro's fate is pretty much sealed.

(if it isn't already)

And although I'd like us to find someone with a combination of skill/size/grit to play with Koivu, I won't be crying my eyes out if we pick Parise... people are so high on him it's getting infectious.

Actually he's one of the very few prospects I've actually seen play... he was team USA's best player at the World Juniors I think.

I remember trying to focus on our boy Higgins, and every time I saw a guy make a nice play I would tell myself "I hope that's Higgins"... and most times I'd end up saying "damn, it's that Parize again".

So he's good, better than Higgins in the game I saw... for sure. He & Koivu would have to play the top lines I think, Higgins would have to become a Madden-type 3rd liner... good D but dangerous on the offensive end too.

I could live with those 3 being our centers... not big, but all have character/grit which is so important - and lacking on this team.

[Edited on 13-6-03 by Habs77]

We will not draft a centre in the first 2 rounds, unless there's a big gap between the talent of the C and the next best player (which won't be much)

Koivu

Ribeiro

Higgins

Would be fine for quite a few years.

Perreault is gone within 2 years maximum.

And this summer minimum.

Kilger can be our 4th line as long as we don't need him for anything more than what the McCarty-Holmstrom-Maltby line does for Detroit.

And no, I don't want McCarty

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

We will not draft a centre in the first 2 rounds, unless there's a big gap between the talent of the C and the next best player (which won't be much)

Koivu

Ribeiro

Higgins

Would be fine for quite a few years.

Perreault is gone within 2 years maximum.

And this summer minimum.

I disgaree about the centres/draft thing. We're not really set for centres in the future , Higgins could top out as a 3rd line centre , and Ribs is far from being a lock on the habs ... I could easily see us grabbing a centre in the first round. Especially since we're "small" down the middle.

And Perreault isnt gone within 2 years , he is gone in ONE year and 18 days ... He is a UFA in the summer of 04.... Adios Perreault!

but wouldn't we want something in return?

Even as UFA, Gainey'll be like every other GM, and give him to someone for something small.

BTW, why don't we sign Gilmour, Petrov and Hackett back again this season

:clap:

:?-

:wall:

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

but wouldn't we want something in return?

Even as UFA, Gainey'll be like every other GM, and give him to someone for something small.

BTW, why don't we sign Gilmour, Petrov and Hackett back again this season

:clap:

:?-

:wall:

Yeah your right , I was just saying that we are GUARANTEED to get rid of Perreault during the summer of 04 , but we'll likely be rid of him before then. Perreault might be moved before the start of this season , or if not he might be moved at the 04 trading deadline.... tons of possibilities...

BTW your UFA signing idea blows :P , hehehehe ... And Petrov exercised his player option with NSH already.

[Edited on 2003/6/13 by puck7x]

How bout Dave Lowry?

Or Ranheim?

Or Joe Sacco?

:lol:

Wait, get this... Rucinsky!!!

:lol: :lol:

Wait, wait, even better... Mike Eastwood!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or Mario Lemieux!!!

:nono:

Wait, we do want him

First of all, many centers are converted by the Canadiens to the wing (Bulis, Hossa). Also, you have to draft going for best player available.

Second of all, Parise is twice the player Ribiero is. He has similar vision and playmaking skills but much better skating ability, scoring touch, grit, defensive awareness, and heart. Koivu-Parise-Higgins down the middle would be as good as any group of top 3 centers in the league. Higgins has better hands and is stronger than Madden and is a better playmaker.

I like Parise enough to say that, eventually, he'll be a more valuable player than Koivu because he has better scoring ability and equal great playmaking ability.

I disagree abou Kilger being a nice 4th line center, though. I want a guy who can provide energy and grit-Kilger is soft, inconistent, and not intense enough. He'd be better on the wing where he can work the puck along the boards (one of his strengths) and play a lot of pk.

The thing is, we don't know if Parise will still be available or not... it's gonna be close.

And does AS really like one guy that should fall in our range... or does he like 2-3 guys about the same and will be happy with which ever one falls to #10.

If he really likes one guy... I could see him moving up a spot or 2 to be sure to get his man, as he did with Higgins last year.

The last time moved up a few spots with his 1st pick he took a center (Higgins)... the other time he just took whoever fell to his spot, and we got a bruiser on D (Komisarek).

Maybe this scenario will play out again, move up a spot or 2 and get Parise... or stay put and end up with Phaneuf.

We'll see.

Originally posted by kas

Koivu-Parise-Higgins down the middle would be as good as any group of top 3 centers in the league. Higgins has better hands and is stronger than Madden and is a better playmaker.

Wow slow down there. There's a ''little'' difference between potential and actually facts.

A million other scenarios from all the other teams could translate into something similar than what you just pointed out with the Habs.

Higgins appears to potentially be a better player than Madden, but he has to prove that IN THE NHL...

I like Parise enough to say that, eventually, he'll be a more valuable player than Koivu because he has better scoring ability and equal great playmaking ability.

Again, let's not get carried away...

Hundreds of prospects in minor leagues seem to be better players than Koivu, but it's a big longshot to say right now that they'll be better than Saku.

Besides we haven't seen Koivu at 100% yet, he just played his 2nd full nhl season on a very average team.

[Edited on 2003/6/15 by Markov79]

Obviously guys like Parise and Higgins have to prove they can succeed in the NHL, but I don't see any reason why they can't fulfill their potential. Both have complete games and play with a lot of heart. Most important, both have fantastic work ethic and are good kids. The only thing both lack is size, but Higgins is very built and Parise isn't scrawny either-and both are still growing. Some picks are riskier and some are safer. Guys with attitude, or who lack heart or work ethic, or skills don't pan out. Guys like Daigle, Matt Higgins, Kilger,...At the very worst, I think Higgins is a 3rd line center like John Madden and Parise is a 2nd line center like Mike Fisher.

I, like many, tend to get overly excited about prospects. But I do truly believe that Parise will be a top scorer in this league.