Montreal - Chicago Game Thread

dlbalr

they blew it...the end

Price cant seem to come up with that important save when it counts

Halak back in tomorrow night

Really? Wow. I am almost done with this board. I can't believe that after the horrible 6 periods, 6 periods with two or three good shifts and you can say that Price was the difference? I mean give your head a shake! This game would have been out of reach if Price had not been so good in net. He is also a 3rd defenseman in special tams...PK and PP. You, Brobin and JackP are completely high if you pin this one on Price.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't throw Price under the bus here, he did his job in my opinion and did nice saves throughout the night. That last goal might look like a routine shot but it was Kane with the puck (and no cover) making a nice pass to Sharp in the slot and one-timed it.

I don't mean to throw him under the bus, the team lost this more then he did. I just don't see much difference in his play yet. He still looks pretty average to me.

I think a guy on OTR said it perfectly.. we have two number 2 goalies. :(

Well he cannot count on his D to successfully clear the zone, I can count over 6 times that the D could have cleared the zone only to mess up, a lot of them by Bergeron, man he cannot play D, can he be converted to a 4th liner?

Really? Wow. I am almost done with this board. I can't believe that after the horrible 6 periods, 6 periods with two or three good shifts and you can say that Price was the difference? I mean give your head a shake! This game would have been out of reach if Price had not been so good in net. He is also a 3rd defenseman in special tams...PK and PP. You, Brobin and JackP are completely high if you pin this one on Price.

I am not pinning it on Price, I think I have been pretty clear on that. what I am not going to do is say "Price played great", because he is still exhibiting the same issues I have seen for about 8 months from him.

We won't win until we get some decent offensive and more importantly, some team defense. Both Halak and Price have been hung out to dry for the last 6 periods. Who plays tomorrow is a good question. I think the plan was to split the games and I am fine with that. If he wants to put Price in, I am fine with that too.

I don't mean to throw him under the bus, the team lost this more then he did. I just don't see much difference in his play yet. He still looks pretty average to me.

You dismiss Price being 2nd star because it's RDS, then quote some tool on OTR. Also, I just love when people talk about confidence, something completely impossible to quantify from your TV or keyboard.

Price is cool as a cucumber with the puck, whether he has confidence to stop the puck, handling is not an issue.

His rebound control was very good tonight as well, I'm not seeing the issues you're seeing Brobin.

Edited by bar

It's not that you're throwing him under the bus but i would say you definitely show a bias towards Halak. I have yet to hear you say anything about a bad play/goal by Halak, and you are very quick to point out when he makes a nice save.

When Price is in, not so much. He get's called on every technical flaw, or perceived "bad goal". Price was the only reason it was close tonight.

You dismiss Price being 2nd star because it's RDS, then quote some tool on OTR. Also, I just love when people talk about confidence, something completely impossible to quantify from your TV or keyboard.

Yeah. I dismiss Price as the 2nd star because it is RDS.. because he was not the 2nd star in the game.. go look it up.

I agree with the comment from OTR.. how do you know the guy is a tool, because he was on OTR? Do you know how many Habs legends have been on that show? Do you even know who said it?

confidence? Yeah, I can tell when people are playing with confidence.. its called body language. Look it up.

It's not that you're throwing him under the bus but i would say you definitely show a bias towards Halak. I have yet to hear you say anything about a bad play/goal by Halak, and you are very quick to point out when he makes a nice save.

When Price is in, not so much. He get's called on every technical flaw, or perceived "bad goal". Price was the only reason it was close tonight.

I have noted great saves by Price many a night.. and I called Halak a number two goalie just above.. lol...

I think Halak is playing better then Price right now, but I am not a huge Halak fan by any means. I wanted him traded to bring in a vet to backup Price and help bring him along. I would rather see Halak and the Kosts traded for a real 2nd line forward.

I thought Price played pretty well tonight... except for that last goal. 2-2 game. We needed the big save... didn't get it. But at least I can see what the effect of having to earn a start is having on him. I thought this was one of his best games. I wish Martin would do what Blake did all those years ago - play a goalie until he loses. This would create great motivation for both guys. And they would feel more secure, knowing what the criteria for starting is beforehand.

Goalies aside (I like commenting on goalies because my son is one, btw), I am at a loss about what they should do with AK. It doesn't matter what line you put him on, he is the anchor. Laps and Lats have regressed. Pacs is still learning.. I have to think that the Gainey game plan had AK penciled in as a 25 goal winger for Pleks and there doesn't appear to be any backup plan.

Toss in Little #### self destructing, and now we are effectively down two wingers who were counted on to contribute this year.

I have no idea how Gainey fixes this without some kind of blockbuster trade.

Edited by brobin

I would risk a chance on S.kost, bench AK for a couple games, see if he actually has the fire to want to compete, right now he looks like he's coasting, I worry what long term effect Kovy has had on his development.

So I'm guessing Dags is gonna be out for a while. That means Laraque get's in for his customary fight with Orr tomorrow. I would bench Kosty or Lats as well and let Stewart play for a little added toughness, while sending a message to whoever is the odd man out.

So I'm guessing Dags is gonna be out for a while. That means Laraque get's in for his customary fight with Orr tomorrow. I would bench Kosty or Lats as well and let Stewart play for a little added toughness, while sending a message to whoever is the odd man out.

I hate having both BGL and Stewart on the same line... make them too slow.. but you are right about one thing.. we need someone in the lineup who can fight tomorrow.

If we have both of them, we can rotate them into the box for fighting majors. :)

I would risk a chance on S.kost, bench AK for a couple games, see if he actually has the fire to want to compete, right now he looks like he's coasting, I worry what long term effect Kovy has had on his development.

I have the feeling we won't see S. Kost again. I think there was a trade brewing, but injuries on other teams maybe holding it up. I am convinced Chicago was working a deal that included Halak, but Huet is playing better and they have some injuries.. Its tough to make a trade these days.

Yeah. I dismiss Price as the 2nd star because it is RDS.. because he was not the 2nd star in the game.. go look it up.

I agree with the comment from OTR.. how do you know the guy is a tool, because he was on OTR? Do you know how many Habs legends have been on that show? Do you even know who said it?

confidence? Yeah, I can tell when people are playing with confidence.. its called body language. Look it up.

You missed the point completely. Why would I go look up an official 2nd star, WHO CARES. I even care LESS about OTR. I form my own opinions. Now go look up forming one's own opinion.

Goalies aside (I like commenting on goalies because my son is one, btw), I am at a loss about what they should do with AK. It doesn't matter what line you put him on, he is the anchor. Laps and Lats have regressed. Pacs is still learning.. I have to think that the Gainey game plan had AK penciled in as a 25 goal winger for Pleks and there doesn't appear to be any backup plan.

I dont see how, after a dozen of games, you can seriously and rationally say Laps and Lats have "regressed". If you want to talk development regression, you need a way longer time frame than a month of hockey at the start of the season.

Same applies for AK or Pac. Being that early in the season, you can play wait and see. Look at Plex go this year compared to last years. Tons of people were ready to throw Plex away for a bag of pucks after his awful season. As long as you see the play try and keep trying, you hope his natural talent will come through sooner or later and confidence will come back to him. Pac and Chips are already much different players compared to 2 weeks ago.

That's what you've gotta do with AK. Wait for him to come out of his funk. His value is at his lowest, no point moving him no matter how much of a dead-weight he can be. It's not like our organization is oozing wingers with his talent package. After what Jacques Martin has done with Marian Hossa, Stephen Weiss and Nathan Horton, he deserves his shot at making something out of AK.

I don't want to dump AK, I just want to see if he would respond to a benching of a game or two, at least it seems like Lats, Laps, Pac care out there, AK just floats around and is barely noticable.

The development of Latendesse has hit a wall. I want so much for him to become a power forward type. Yes, patience in the case of young players is a good approach. However, I think this season has him at a crossroads in his career with the team. He's not a good hockey player at the moment, which may explain the fact that he only played 5 or 6 minutes tonight.

Edited by Habsy

I dont see how, after a dozen of games, you can seriously and rationally say Laps and Lats have "regressed". If you want to talk development regression, you need a way longer time frame than a month of hockey at the start of the season.

Same applies for AK or Pac. Being that early in the season, you can play wait and see. Look at Plex go this year compared to last years. Tons of people were ready to throw Plex away for a bag of pucks after his awful season. As long as you see the play try and keep trying, you hope his natural talent will come through sooner or later and confidence will come back to him. Pac and Chips are already much different players compared to 2 weeks ago.

That's what you've gotta do with AK. Wait for him to come out of his funk. His value is at his lowest, no point moving him no matter how much of a dead-weight he can be. It's not like our organization is oozing wingers with his talent package. After what Jacques Martin has done with Marian Hossa, Stephen Weiss and Nathan Horton, he deserves his shot at making something out of AK.

the problems with AK and to an extent Lats and Laps goes back to mid last year. Yes, we can just wait it out, but for how long. That is what we were told last year.

I don't see us trading Lats and Laps, they are just going to be 3rd or 4th liners. I don't see either of them progressing to being top line players, at least on a competitive team. We thought AK would, but he is not showing it over the last 6 months of hockey.

Players take time. I know it's painful. I know Lats looks like he sucks. I know Kostitsyn looks confused. I also know that a player doesn't really hit maturity until around 27, and that players as diverse as Plekanec, Mike Ribeiro, John Leclair, Hainsey, Beauchemin, Komisarek, Higgins and Markov were all Habs who spent time in the place those two guys are now - where you can't believe they will ever amount to anything.

Lats and Kosty are just too young to give up on unless they are total lazy p**cks who show absolutely no desire or commitment, especially considering the success they have already enjoyed at this level. Unless some knock out offer appears (involving youth coming back too), trust Jacques Martin and concentrate on developing these players, perhaps properly for the first time since they made the jump.