GAME THREAD : Habs vs Preds

JoeLassister

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah what the hell is with Price ? can't he score any goals dammit

No the problem with Carey Price is that he blew the game by allowing a back breaker in the first period, had lousy rebound control which led to the second goal, and then put out a long clear during the PK to the opposite side where Metro was all alone. If Price had not let in that back breaker in the first period, was able to hit Metro with a good pass when he was all alone on the PK (rather then just clear the puck blindly away), we would have had a 1-0 lead. Then if he had learned how to control his rebounds better, the habs could have one the game 1-0.

The fact that Price kept this team in the game 1-0 after being outshot 42-10, tells me this team has no character in trying to come out strong in the 3rd period. What's scary is that while did manage 20 shots on goal, there was MAYBE two that were decent scoring chances. Gotta love the homers who picked the three stars in this game.

You know if i was Martin, I would have made a statement to that bum Lats and sat him out and dressed 1 less player.

Yeah I know that is early in the year, its ONLY the middle of November, but where the f$#K is the great system everyone was saying Martin would instill back in June when I said what a lousy hiring Martin was. Yes I know that Markov is out, but wasn't it Martin who said that Markov is only one of the 6 d-men and he wanted to have a six man no name D.

Yeah its only November, but I think the habs need to make some hard decisions with their lineup. If it was up to me, I'd b benching Lats & Lats, as well as CHips. Send down Pax, he is not going to progress offensively at the NHL level. Dress 7 defensemen, and have Bergeron ONLY play on the PP and then sit him down when he doesn't blast away when he gets setup for a clear shot. Send Stewart down and bring up S. Kostitsyn and Maxwell.

A trade at this time doesn't make sense, bcoz, first of all the only habs with trade value for a decent return are Pleks, Cammy, Price and secondly, I have no faith in Gainey getting a decent return.

Gomez has been invisible offensively with the exception of the shootout, why he is still given Cammy and Gionta is beyond me. Martin needs to have his head examined if he keeps playing his leading scorer with spare parts.

I'd like to see the following lineup:

Cammy Pleks Gionta

Kostitsyn GOmez Kostitsyn

White Metro Moen

Pyatt Maxwell (take turns double shifting forwards on this line)

Hamrlik O'Byrne

Spacek Gorges

Carle Leach

Bergeron

Edited by hab29RETIRED

He generated so many offensive chances... He was our biggest offense threa in the 3rd.

Ok NOW I'm really out.

To bad he also probably generated the most offense for the Preds as well.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Ah well. Since I'm sure this thread will be nine pages of people moaning about embarrassment, disgrace, Bob Gainey and all those other comments that sound like an incredibly annoying broken record, I think I will duck out now.

Yeah, the Habs clearly weren't playing their best game by I'll offer this advice before I leave: don't whine like little girls about it. Suck it up. Look forward to the next game. be real Habs fans. :hlogo:

I'm not happy about your comment concerning anyone who is realistic about what they saw. You assume that anyone who complains about this effort isn't a "real Habs fan." Not nice. You have no right to brand people this way. Not everyone thinks the same as you. That doesn't make them any less of a fan...

No the problem with Carey Price is that he blew the game by allowing a back breaker in the first period, had lousy rebound control which led to the second goal, and then put out a long clear during the PK to the opposite side where Metro was all alone. If Price had not let in that back breaker in the first period, was able to hit Metro with a good pass when he was all alone on the PK (rather then just clear the puck blindly away), we would have had a 1-0 lead. Then if he had learned how to control his rebounds better, the habs could have one the game 1-0.

Obviously if Halak was in we would be watching the boys win it in a shootout right now.

The fact that Price kept this team in the game 1-0 after being outshot 42-10, tells me this team has no character in trying to come out strong in the 3rd period. What's scary is that while did manage 20 shots on goal, there was MAYBE two that were decent scoring chances. Gotta love the homers who picked the three stars in this game.

You know if i was Martin, I would have made a statement to that bum Lats and sat him out and dressed 1 less player.

Yeah I know that is early in the year, its ONLY the middle of November, but where the f$#K is the great system everyone was saying Martin would instill back in June when I said what a lousy hiring Martin was. Yes I know that Markov is out, but wasn't it Martin who said that Markov is only one of the 6 d-men and he wanted to have a six man no name D.

Yeah its only November, but I think the habs need to make some hard decisions with their lineup. If it was up to me, I'd b benching Lats & Lats, as well as CHips. Send down Pax, he is not going to progress offensively at the NHL level. Dress 7 defensemen, and have Bergeron ONLY play on the PP and then sit him down when he doesn't blast away when he gets setup for a clear shot. Send Stewart down and bring up S. Kostitsyn and Maxwell.

A trade at this time doesn't make sense, bcoz, first of all the only habs with trade value for a decent return are Pleks, Cammy, Price and secondly, I have no faith in Gainey getting a decent return.

Gomez has been invisible offensively with the exception of the shootout, why he is still given Cammy and Gionta is beyond me. Martin needs to have his head examined if he keeps playing his leading scorer with spare parts.

I'd like to see the following lineup:

Cammy Pleks Gionta

Kostitsyn GOmez Kostitsyn

White Metro Moen

Pyatt Maxwell (take turns double shifting forwards on this line)

Hamrlik O'Byrne

Spacek Gorges

Carle Leach

Bergeron

i had to read your post twice cause i could not believe what you wrote. I cannot reply to your post without being personal and questioning your sanity so I will be quiet. Are you really a habs fan?

Obviously if Halak was in we would be watching the boys win it in a shootout right now.

rotflmao :lol:

i had to read your post twice cause i could not believe what you wrote. I cannot reply to your post without being personal and questioning your sanity so I will be quiet. Are you really a habs fan?

rotflmao :lol:

Did you have trouble picking up on the sarcasm???

Why do people make these ######ed statements. I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but what you are actually saying is that when people criticized Price when he did not play well they were idiots. In fact, Price himself criticized his play. No one has blamed Price when he has had a good or great game.

If you think this game implies he was playing well previously then you are nuts. If he played like this all season we would have 5 more wins, despite the crummy team in front of both him and Halak.

Clearly Price played very well and deserves another start, but I can say the same about Halak's last game he lost. Who knows what Martin will do. It matters not, since right now the main issue with this team is everyone BUT the goalies.

Why do people make these ######ed statements. I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but what you are actually saying is that when people criticized Price when he did not play well they were idiots. In fact, Price himself criticized his play. No one has blamed Price when he has had a good or great game.

If you think this game implies he was playing well previously then you are nuts. If he played like this all season we would have 5 more wins, despite the crummy team in front of both him and Halak.

Clearly Price played very well and deserves another start, but I can say the same about Halak's last game he lost. Who knows what Martin will do. It matters not, since right now the main issue with this team is everyone BUT the goalies.

Relax dude, it was a joke.

I did not say Price has been perfect all year. He certainly could have played better in previous starts. It was more or less just a continuation of the running joke that is we would have won if Halak was in during any given loss.

It's interesting though that your views have switched to everything but the goalies, instead of everything including the goalies. What a difference a week makes eh?

Need someone to step up and start scoring goals up in this bizzle!

I think metro needs to be on a line with Plek. We have 6 centres in the line up right now. The Laps experiment failed. Move Metro up right now. He has a hot hand.

is there anything realistic that can be done to get this offence going? 27th in the league in goals for per game isn't going to cut it to make the playoffs. Is there a trade that can be made? Is it time to kiss and make up with Sergei? Can we change our offensive sysytem? Either way, Gainey or Martin are gonna have to figure this out because if it wasn't for perfection in overtime/shootout, we'd be at the bottom of the league.

I was in Nashville at the game tonight, and all I can say is BRUTAL!!!

We looked slower, we looked uniterested, and some of our guys just didn't want to compete.

I mean, I know we're not amongst the elite teams in the NHL right now, but this was Nashville. I mean, NASHVILLE. We gave up over 50 shots to a poor team that outplayed us in every aspect of the game besides goal.

If not for Price this game would have been 8-0.

Time for a trade, and it's gonna have to include one of our young goalies... Halak or Price. Go get some young help at forward.

I'm seriously gonna hope we finish last in the league, go draft Taylor Hall.

"The guys on defence did a great job, I didn't have to face too many shots," Rinne said. "Obviously you have your good saves and your moments, but it was one of the easier games that we have had this year so far."

Nuff said.

:puke:

Just a simple question here: Is Martin re-creating the Habs into the mold of the Panthers? As I recall they had no offense either...and for what it's worth, they did have SOME talent on offense that always seemed to underacheive.

Just a simple question here: Is Martin re-creating the Habs into the mold of the Panthers? As I recall they had no offense either...and for what it's worth, they did have SOME talent on offense that always seemed to underacheive.

This is exactly what I said when they hired him. Not only did the Panthers offensive guys regressive under him, he also alienated his best player in Bowmeester.

Lot of commentary about our attack which is, admittedly poor. However I'd like to postulate that it isn't entirely the attacker's fault. Half our defense is quasi-AHL now and one of the team's biggest problems is transition. We're not getting the puck out fast enough. My opinion is that we don't have the talent at the back to do it.

Spacek is hurting a lot apparently, and he's the best of this bunch. Kudos to Hamr and Mara for doing way more than is expected of them, but the more all those guys play, the less effective they'll be. These are guys that should be playing 20 minutes max, not more.

Bottom line, our transition game is pathetic and it's a truism that the most concerted offense comes from a strong and consistent transition game. No doubt, we're having passengers on the front end, but they're not being delivered pucks which allow for consistent attack. Right now we're relying almost entirely on the skill of the forwards to create goals and not a transition game to pick apart the opposition to create anything.

When Gio was healthy, our top line creates chances regularaly. Plex somehow manages that as well, despite being flanked by Ipsy and Dipsy on a regular basis. Now imagine what they could do if they were given pucks in transition which caught an opponent out of position slightly or created - God forbid - and odd man rush?

I completely agree that we need at least one other attacker to make our second line at least worthy of attention to take some of the heat off the first line, but let's be honest, without a transition game, we're running into a wall constantly and praying that the (ver good) skills of our top players will win out over 5-man defenses.

Obviously this isn't global, because there are times when we do have a good transition, but it's only a sustained and consistent transition game which will catch teams off-kilter now and again.

Lot of commentary about our attack which is, admittedly poor. However I'd like to postulate that it isn't entirely the attacker's fault. Half our defense is quasi-AHL now and one of the team's biggest problems is transition. We're not getting the puck out fast enough. My opinion is that we don't have the talent at the back to do it.

Spacek is hurting a lot apparently, and he's the best of this bunch. Kudos to Hamr and Mara for doing way more than is expected of them, but the more all those guys play, the less effective they'll be. These are guys that should be playing 20 minutes max, not more.

Bottom line, our transition game is pathetic and it's a truism that the most concerted offense comes from a strong and consistent transition game. No doubt, we're having passengers on the front end, but they're not being delivered pucks which allow for consistent attack. Right now we're relying almost entirely on the skill of the forwards to create goals and not a transition game to pick apart the opposition to create anything.

When Gio was healthy, our top line creates chances regularaly. Plex somehow manages that as well, despite being flanked by Ipsy and Dipsy on a regular basis. Now imagine what they could do if they were given pucks in transition which caught an opponent out of position slightly or created - God forbid - and odd man rush?

I completely agree that we need at least one other attacker to make our second line at least worthy of attention to take some of the heat off the first line, but let's be honest, without a transition game, we're running into a wall constantly and praying that the (ver good) skills of our top players will win out over 5-man defenses.

Obviously this isn't global, because there are times when we do have a good transition, but it's only a sustained and consistent transition game which will catch teams off-kilter now and again.

Thanks be to God, I didn't see this game. But it seems to me there's a lot to this post. Yes, we need at least one more forward (or one of our existing forwards to step up) - no question. But the Habs' transition game has suffered ever since the loss of Streit, and in that sense we're not actually seeing anything new this season. When Markov is present, that weakness is heavily masked, but when he's out, you soon realize that we just don't have the horses back there to move the puck out of the zone in a fashion that creatively kindles offence. Forwards need D who can get them the puck on the rush - in other words, offence starts from the back end. Spacek was supposed to be the answer, a second-tier puckmover to supplement Markov; he may yet fulfill that role, but he clearly isn't even close to adequate with Markov out. Hamrlik ditto.

Not sure where we go from here. If Bob moves a top-6 forward for a second-tier offensive defenceman, he weakens the team at an area where it's already too weak. If he moves a high draft pick, he further sabotages our only real hope going forward, i.e., youth. If he moves the Kostitsyns, he also risks aging the team considerably at a time when we should be stockpiling young assets. The only thing I can think of, short of hoping the current squad can get its act together and hang in there until Markov returns, is a combination - maybe moving Spacek and Sergei Kostitysn for an upgrade on Spacek. Something like that. But that doesn't seem too realistic, eh?

I wonder if Latendresse could bag us a bona-fide top-4 puckmover, from a team looking to shed salary? Just asking.

Finally - if this keeps up, then Bob had BETTER do the sensible thing and start shedding expensive assets like crazy come deadline time. If this season is a wash I at least want to see us come out of it with a bundle of picks and/or new young talent.