Brodeur and the Conn Smythe

Markov79

''I changed my opinion on who should be the winner 2 times during the final''.

That's what someone who voted for the trophee said at the awards tonight.

Many other journalists/voters said it was very close and some said Brodeur should have won it.

Gee, I guess it wasn't a ''100%'' lock like most people thought it was... :eyes:

[Edited on 2003/6/13 by Markov79]

They were being polite :)

Don't be bitter like that, Giguère lost Game7 3-0 and still won.. as it was obvious that he would.

And most writters are morons anyway, how the hell they get to decide is beyond me... anyone who reads the Gazette understands what I mean.

Brodeur was good but not nearly as great as Giguère in the 4 rounds.

Giguère beat Brodeur in GGA (1.62 to 1.65), save % (.945 to .936), win/loss record (15-6 to 16-8).

Giguère faced 697 shots compared to 622 for Brodeur... and he played 3 less games!!

And the numbers don't even do it justice, this guy single handedly won his teams 2 series... Brodeur did none of that, he didn't need to because he had a better team and faced lesser competition.

Giguère was the only choice for MVP... "deal with it" as you would say.

P.S. If there was a rule saying the Conn Smythe had to be chosen from the winning team I wouldn't even have chosen Brodeur, my pick would have been Niedermayer... because he was not only a key to NJ's defensive prowess but also finished tied for the lead in playoff points & 2nd in +/-.

To me he was NJ's MVP in the playoffs, then there's a tie for 2nd between Brodeur, Langenbrunner, Madden & Friesen.

For Anaheim there's Jiggy... and then is there even a 2nd?

If I had to name one maybe Carney, but I as I struggled to find even one other name... it just underlines the fact that Giguère was really alone out there: which is what makes him the "most valuable player to his team".

I think Rucchin or Thomas would be ANA's backup rep's.

Rucchin could have won the Selke this year (seeing as the Ducks won't come this close again in a while).

Thomas was strong most of the finals. He's not Gretzky or a Madden, but he did his part in each round.

However, as said before, no-one was close to Jiggy

:que:

So first of all you say that every voter/ writer would obviously pick Giguere as the winner.

Now that you're wrong you accuse me of saying ''I'm bitter?'' LOL

I'm just stating facts. I never said Giguere didn't deserve the Smythe AFTER the final game, just like most voters did.

oh and BTW, Brodeur was one of the best vs Boston and TB, he had great games in which NJ shouldn't have won. Then again are you sure you watched every Jersey game to be able to analyse that?

I'm not saying Giguere shouldn't have won it: I'm saying other players did indeed have a shot.

Not everyone agrees with you Habs77 just like not everyone agrees with me. Sad to see you can't admit Giguere wasn't the ultimate obvious choice before game 7...

Originally posted by Markov79

Sad to see you can't admit Giguere wasn't the ultimate obvious choice before game 7...

He lost 3-0 and still won the Conn Smythe... and this makes me wrong?

Yeah... ok, whatever you say :eyes:

Like I said Niedermayer was NJ's MVP in the playoffs... IMO of course. That's not saying Brodeur wasn't good, he obviously was.

Now can we let this stupid obsession of yours go?...

Seriously, at the end of day... who even cares anymore.