GAME THREAD: Bulldogs v. Penguins

simonus

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Legal" late hits have to be eliminated.

It wasnt even legal. He blindsided him a good 3 seconds after he dumped it. If Patches is injured, they will probably look into it. If Rupp is suspended, I really couldnt care less. Im more concerned with losing a player that was just starting to produce! :(

Well, Sergei was trying to do too much tonight. That sucks. Price let in one softy from crosby. it was a hard accurate wrister though. the guerin goal was a little smelly too. Gill woulda dumped him on his ass. Patches is really developing. overall, what do you expect i guess. half the talent is on IR. they played pretty good, considering it was bulldogs versus champs. mow time to get raped by washington. i actually miss gomez. he can get the puck deep with speed.

I'm starting to wonder if Martin is brain-dead. When is he gonna start Halak again? Next year?

Look, Price is finally playing like the number 1 goalie. But Halak has been good too. So we let Halak rot on the pine so that if Price goes south again, we don't have a viable alternative? This is twice - back to back games, and no Halak.

We're gonna lose this kid to free agency and I'm pretty sure we're gonna live to rue the day.

I'm starting to wonder if Martin is brain-dead. When is he gonna start Halak again? Next year?

Look, Price is finally playing like the number 1 goalie. But Halak has been good too. So we let Halak rot on the pine so that if Price goes south again, we don't have a viable alternative? This is twice - back to back games, and no Halak.

We're gonna lose this kid to free agency and I'm pretty sure we're gonna live to rue the day.

Don't worry, Halak will be traded before the deadline.

Don't worry, Halak will be traded before the deadline.

Oh yeah, that'll be really smart. Then if Price goes south again like he did against Philly, we'll have no alternative. But I do think you're right. He'll be traded, probably for a pail of pucks - just another wasted asset.

Oh yeah, that'll be really smart. Then if Price goes south again like he did against Philly, we'll have no alternative. But I do think you're right. He'll be traded, probably for a pail of pucks - just another wasted asset.

some people just have to b.itch and jackp you really work at it. give it a rest for crying out loud. find something positive to say.

some people just have to b.itch and jackp you really work at it. give it a rest for crying out loud. find something positive to say.

yeah good luck with that.

On another note, does anyone know where a video of the Rupp hit can be seen?

Maybe they're trying to gauge whether Price is able to play consecutive games (carry the team without a good back-up behind him).

There was no reason to play Halak. Price has been playing like an all-star over the past 5-6 games. he's 22 years old, he can handle it.

Halak will be traded before the deadline, because he won't want to remain a backup for ever. Price is the man, if you haven't realized that yet, then you haven't been listening and watching what Bob has done with this kid. They will live or die with Price. Might as well get something in return for halak.

As far as the game is concerned, I don't think our boys really had a chance last night! I'm happy to see that we never gave up, and that it was a relatively close game...this game could have easily turned into a blow out, but it didn't. True that Carey gave up 1 maybe 2 weak goals, but i'd rather he give them up in a game like last night(where we pretty much all expected the Habs to lose), rather than a game where we expect them to win.

Edited by Habsfan

There was no reason to play Halak. Price has been playing like an all-star over the past 5-6 games. he's 22 years old, he can handle it.

Halak will be traded before the deadline, because he won't want to remain a backup for ever. Price is the man, if you haven't realized that yet, then you haven't been listening and watching what Bob has done with this kid. They will live or die with Price. Might as well get something in return for halak.

As far as the game is concerned, I don't think our boys really had a chance last night! I'm happy to see that we never gave up, and that it was a relatively close game...this game could have easily turned into a blow out, but it didn't. True that Carey gave up 1 maybe 2 weak goals, but i'd rather he give them up in a game like last night(where we pretty much all expected the Habs to lose), rather than a game where we expect them to win.

In total agreement there: Price had to play. As for trading Halak, I don't know. I doubt very much that he has a meaningful value. Remember Bryzgalov? He was putt on the waver. Teams don't give much for backup goalers. Usually, I mean. Maybe Halak is different; let's hope so.

In total agreement there: Price had to play. As for trading Halak, I don't know. I doubt very much that he has a meaningful value. Remember Bryzgalov? He was putt on the waver. Teams don't give much for backup goalers. Usually, I mean. Maybe Halak is different; let's hope so.

I'm not saying that we'll get a 1st round pick for Halak, but I think he's proven himself enough over the past 3 years that he does have some value. I don't think anyone can say that Halak will NOT be a starting goalie in the NHL. He has the talent to be a starter, it's just that he's on a team where there's somebody better.

I thikn a 2nd round pick would be a good pick up for Halak, or maybe an established 2nd or 3rd line NHLer!

Edited by Habsfan

Comon'.

Halak is better than which #1 goalie in the league presently ??? Nuff said. Halak was, is and will be a backup goalie. At best a #1b.

Comon'.

Halak is better than which #1 goalie in the league presently ??? Nuff said. Halak was, is and will be a backup goalie. At best a #1b.

I think Halak has more potential than Huet, Emery, Anderson, Quick, Turco, Hiller, Roloson, Howard. Put Halak wiht a good team, and his stats would be among the top 8 in the NHL!

I think Halak has more potential than Huet, Emery, Anderson, Quick, Turco, Hiller, Roloson, Howard. Put Halak wiht a good team, and his stats would be among the top 8 in the NHL!

I would disagree with Huet, Emery, Anderson and maybe Quick.

Hiller is not an option cuz of Giguere, Roloson has Dipietro in front of him.

Only real options there are Turco and Howard.

Problem is : When Dipietro is back, one of Biron or Roloson has got to move. Biron, for one, is MUCH more attractive than Halak for Detroit (cup contenders).

Take out Howard, IMO.

Maybe we could be fooled once again by the Dallas Stars...

Gutsy effort by the Bulldogs. How are the Cyclones gonna do on Friday? I think I heard that Hamilton is suffering from their own injury crisis? 7 bodies? That makes 16 from the Habs organization sitting? Nice.

We can't win 'em all. ^_^

As much as Price didn't have a stellar game, I'm not disappointed in his effort. While some might think he should have had that first goal, I think it was a deflected roof job, and that's a tough shot when it's coming off the stick of a hard-shooting sniper. Goal number two was poor - but in Price's defense, should never have counted since on the delayed penalty call, the play should have been blown. Tough luck on the third goal. Gonch was left alone and a brilliant play by Sir Sid put the Pitt defender in a shootout-style situation.

MaxPax is starting to take the next step. I love the development of this kid and I love his potential. I think he's destined to be a fan favourite towards the latter half of the season or next year. Then he'll get traded to Philly. :P

Unheralded Jay Leach has been excellent IMO. I'm really happy picking up a re-tread and seeing him play that simple but effective game.

Chipchura played 5:11 in a game with half the Bulldogs present. I have to think that the Kyle experiment is just about finished and he's on the cusp of "Bust" with the Habs. Maybe he needs a change of scenery as well, though I feel his problems are more fundamental.

White and Pyatt, while not making the scoresheet much, are impressive kids at this point. Can it last? Who knows, but I'll take their excellent hustle and strong positional game right now.

Plex and Camm looked dog tired by the third. Over-use, unfortunately. That's what happens when the team is THAT injured.

Best news of this AM? Markov was on the ice today and last night. Cha-ching.

You know I'm starting to realize that there's a core of 3 or 4 of you that are arrogantly assigning yourselves the role of "thought police." You are one of them. You get personal whenever you don't agree with what someone says. And you're narrow-minded enough to believe you're always right.

You live in a very small universe. And I genuinely feel sorry for you.

(BTW I won't respond to anymore of your tirades. I feel slightly soiled at even bothering with this one.)

I don't know how anyone who calls themselves a Habs fan could want Halak to be traded. My question is:

Are we a better team with both young goalies, or are we better just having Price (and hoping that his game doesn't go south again)?

Yet there have been people on this site who have been calling for Halak to be traded *even before Price started playing well.* It's hard for me to understand how this helps our team (though it is easy to see how it pleases people who are big Price fans).

Is it not possible to keep both goalies happy? Could we not see a 60-40 split in assignments? I admit that I wouldn't be espousing this if I could completely trust Price to keep playing well. But I don't. And losing Halak at this stage is too big of a gamble for me *because I care for the team* more than I do for a single player.

Let me draw a comparison with another Montreal team that has a very professional management - the Montreal Alouettes. Years ago, they had "all their eggs in one basket" with Calvillo. When he got hurt, there was no adequate backup (Ted White) and they lost the final, despite being the best team in the East that year. The Als learned from their mistake and there's not one Als fan who fears losing Calvillo now because they know they have a more than adequate backup in MacPherson.

So I repeat: How are we a better team if all our eggs are in one basket witlh Price? If further down the road, Price proves that he is a bonafide NHL goalie wilth only the odd bad game, then okay, get something decent for Halak. But can anyone honestly say that we're at that point RIGHT NOW with Price? A more sensible approach would be to keep Halak happy until we're fairly certain that Price is the real deal.

I'm not saying that we'll get a 1st round pick for Halak, but I think he's proven himself enough over the past 3 years that he does have some value. I don't think anyone can say that Halak will NOT be a starting goalie in the NHL. He has the talent to be a starter, it's just that he's on a team where there's somebody better.

And this is a laughable comment - based on 4 or 5 recent games. There is no basis to make this statement yet. It might even be true but a lot more games have to be played before you can make this comment.

You know I'm starting to realize that there's a core of 3 or 4 of you that are arrogantly assigning yourselves the role of "thought police." You are one of them. You get personal whenever you don't agree with what someone says. And you're narrow-minded enough to believe you're always right.

(BTW I won't respond to anymore of your tirades. I feel slightly soiled at even bothering with this one.)

omg myfeelings are so hurt, that a jerk who can't find a positive thing to say won't speak to me. NOW that is personal

You get personal whenever you don't agree with what someone says. And you're narrow-minded enough to believe you're always right.

I don't know how anyone who calls themselves a Habs fan could want Halak to be traded.

And this is a laughable comment

If you're wondering why people get their backs up when referring to you, you might consider your confrontational approach. Just saying. I'm not saying others are right with what they say, however you tend to come across as holier-than-thou at times.

Note that the bolded type is in direct contrast with the latter two quotes.

You bring great points to the table and your point of view is appreciated (at least by me), but you tend to offer them with a challenge quite frequently. If you're feeling picked on, maybe changing your approach would be better.

If you're wondering why people get their backs up when referring to you, you might consider your confrontational approach. Just saying. I'm not saying others are right with what they say, however you tend to come across as holier-than-thou at times.

Note that the bolded type is in direct contrast with the latter two quotes.

You bring great points to the table and your point of view is appreciated (at least by me), but you tend to offer them with a challenge quite frequently. If you're feeling picked on, maybe changing your approach would be better.

Colin, I'm not worried about what people on this board think about me. I'm sometimes upset at the perhaps more subtle attempts by some to stifle anything said that disagrees with their viewpoint. And I really don't mean to be confrontational. Perhaps it's my Italian ancestry showing through. We do this all the time at family gatherings and no one gets upset. My wife (who's American) brought it to my attention when she first met my family. "Oh my god, you yell and insult each other when you argue, yet I've never seen a family that's so close!" I really do think it's a cultural thing.

I do appreciate your attempt to "reform" me though. :rolleyes: But at 59 years of age, I think it's a case of "old dog" and "new tricks." :lol: And I'm sure if I ever met any of the guys I've "done battle with" in person, we'd both end up laughing over some of our more heated exchanges. (This has actually happened to me over the years BTW.)