2005 IIHF World Championships

bombTHEice

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually i chose Finland over Russia in the HWL pool on sportsnet. They're tied right now... im anxious to see who comes out on top.

Go Finland! ... (altho a Canada-Russia game is alwayz a classic)

Canada lights it up against Russia!.... 3-0 after the first... Big goal by Souray... he's getting some ice time today! :D

However... another Habs D... Markov... pulls a cheep dive, but the ref made the right call.

GO CANADA :can: :can: :can:

Things getting scary at the end of the 2nd... 4-2 now.... Yashin gets his first 2 points of the tournament... a goal and an assist.

Should be a great third!

What a game. Canada holds on... wins this one 4-3.

Wow... close one at the end... that was definitly a goal... not offside... oh well, what can you do... so many krazy calls.

Anywayz... CANADA FOR GOLD!!! :can: :can: :can:

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

4-0 now, Jovanovski scored early in the 2nd...

Looks like another final for the Canucks... Bring on the Sweds!

We have to beat the Czechs first... :P

Back from my trip and immediately a great game, though the Swedish ref was quite bad and made some stupid calls.

Souray had a solide game and scored the 2-0 on a fast break. BTW. I don't really think that he's that slow, perhaps he had a bad night vs. Sweden (didn't see the game).

Tonights game, I predict a 4-2 win for the Czech Rep.

Back from my trip and immediately a great game, though the Swedish ref was quite bad and made some stupid calls.
FYI: Hannu Henriksson is from Finland. :guru:

Canada will face Czech Republic in the finals.

The game between Sweden and the Czechs could have gone either way. Someone's got to win. This time it was the Czechs.

Canada showed some nerve during the end of their game and I think it's wide open.

Many players on Team Canada hasn't been playing hockey this season. The Czechs as a team they could play at the World Cup. Not bad. I also believe that the Czechs has a lot more to prove than Canada. They was eliminated early at their own championships while Canada has two staight gold medals.

The refs at the World Championships has been poor. But I was surprised that Thomas Andersson had a poor evening when calling Canada - Russia. In my eyes he has been the best referee thus far.

Both Russia and Sweden will have a hard time finding their game tomorrow after have been beating in this way. Both teams where really close. It could have gone either way.

I didn't see the Russia-Canada game... but I don't get it. What's all this talk about a Swedish ref? According tothis official website it was a Finnish referee. :?-

Am I biased if I think that Sweden was the better team in overtime? If Zetterberg would have been able to put the puck behind Vokoun, that would have been the greatest goal of this tournament.

I honestly think that this was a very close game and I think either team could have won it. The Czechs played very well, but so did the Swedes IMO (especially Lundqvist, Zetterberg and Swedish defenders like Magnus Johansson, Norström, Sundin and Kronwall, just to name a few). Don't get me wrong, I can't say that it was completely unfair that the Czechs won, but I don't think anyone can honestly say it would have been unfair if we would have won either.

Let me also seize the moment and say that I am very, very proud of my team. In this tournament they managed to do all the things they screwed up in the World Cup. So even if we lost to the Czechs, just like we did then, I still sort of feel we got some sort of revenge. They have been very competetive and they have played a traditional Swedish style of hockey that I think is very entertaining to watch.

And I think the one who is responsible for the success (and I will call it nothing less than success) is the man pulling the strings, namely our coach Bengt-Åke Gustafsson, with good help from his sidekicks Janne Karlsson (who coached Frölunda, the team who won the Swedish Championships) and Tommy Samuelsson. I think that where the former coach Hardy Nilsson failed, Bengt-Åke has succeeded. He has "molded" or created a team in a very typical Swedish way, and in a way that Hardy never managed. Where our World Cup team was better on an indvidual level, this group is a lot better as a team. The World Cup team folded when they were supposed to shine. I think this team is worlds better. This group of players has a whole other inner strenght that the World Cup team didn't have. That's the best way I can explain it. And they have had a helluva tournament IMO.

The win in this game might as well have been decided by tossing a coin. Bengt-Åke called heads and it turned out to be tails, but hey, it happens in sports. There is a very good Swedish proverb that describes this team's performance percetly, but sadly I don't think there is a matching English one, but nevertheless, the Swedish team föll med flaggan i topp (means something along the lines as they went down fighting).

Hopefully the Russians will be too disappointed to care about tomorrow's bronze medal game and we can win a bronze.

:clap:

[Edited on 2005/5/14 by Doktor Kosmos]

With so many players not participating Sweden did it well.

It could have ended either way and once more Sweden proves that they are one of the most stable hockey nation it the world.

The bronze game could have been the gold game. Now it isn't but I expect it to be as good. Tomorrow two teams that just could have made it to the finals will battle for the bronze and the two winning teams with the strongest squad (if you look at the papers) will play for the gold medal.

I have no clue how this will end but I think that the four teams that are left has been the best. Finland and USA seems to be one step behind and Switzerland has placed them as the 8th team in the world. Maybe they send the best goaltender duo in Gerber and Aebischer. Germany relegated... What to say? This is bad. For hockeys sake. Germany is important to hockey in europe. Now Switzerland is the only german speaking country in the A group.

Austria can stay in the B group for me. I want Norway and Poland to return.

And finaly. A prediction:

Final: Gold medal to Czech Republic. I expect Jaromir Jagr to finaly play like the star he is. Thomas Voukoun has been better than Martin Brodeur this tournament. The Czechs has been playing on a higher level than most of the Canadians and has a far better momentum than Canada.

Bronze game: Russia.

They beat us in the Euro Hockey Tour. They have more to prove. They are not equaly frustrated as the Swedes. But does russian players play for bronze?

Originally posted by ch_nl

The refs at the World Championships has been poor. But I was surprised that Thomas Andersson had a poor evening when calling Canada - Russia. In my eyes he has been the best referee thus far.

Thats funny, because the Canadian TV commentators (Mcguire, Miller) are always saying every game how the reffering in this tourney has been excellent, and much better then previous years. Most Canadians also feel the same way I'd say. Personally I havent seen enough games to say for myself.

I guess Europeans and North-American fans just have a different idea of what being a "good ref" is. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Whats my point? I dunno.

[Edited on 2005-5-15 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Macaskill

Hmm, does look like another classic on the way...

Macaskill's Finals picks: Canada Vs. Czech Republic

Muahaha... right again.

Outcome: Canada wins gold!... hehe. a score of 5-3

:can::can::can:

I expressed my self a bit clumsy...

The referees has been better than usual, but still I think the average level of the referees at the world championships are to low. We try to send the best players available, why not send the best referees not matter their nationality.

Most Canadians also feel the same way I'd say.

That late penalty Canada got yestarday was a terrible call. Not to mention the empty net goal they scored which didn't count, eventhough the offical wasn't even looking at the play (yet SOMEHOW was able to make a fair call).

Would have been interesting if the Russians had tied it. I'd be interested to hear the IIHF's ruling on that. You know, officals making calls with their back to the play.