NHL Considering bigger nets...

puck7x

What does everyone think of this?

I think its dumb. Instead of making the nets bigger, they should make the goalie equipment smaller. Bring it back to late-80's standards... even early 90's.

And besides, since when does more goals mean better quality hockey? It doesnt.

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=119826&hubName=main

In other news... the NHL/NHLPA are going to meet again this Monday... bleah... who cares

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=119883&hubName=main

No more goals don't mean better hockey but I think more goals is a factor when it comes to make more americans go see hockey. I don't talk about people in the northern states but football, baseball and basketball fans.

I do see the point. In this way they can controll it. If they increase the net by the same size as two post they will have last years total amount of goals plus last years total of shot that hit the posts.

But don't let the the goaltender equipment get bigger.

I'm not for this at all. I'd like them to stop with the quick fixes and actually do something that will make a big difference for a long period of time.

International ice size, and take out the red line.

Let the talent shine! Give the players more room and the goalies equipment size will matter very little.

I don't like the idea of bigger nets, and those designs are terrible too. That Buffallo net looks like crap.

Kris King made a good point on Off The Record last night, he said if there's bigger nets, is it going to be the same if Sidney Crosby breaks Wayne Gretzky's record or isn't going to be valued because of the bigger nets?

(Note: He used those 2 players in his argument)

if they take out the redline, move the nets, and/or change penalty rules would we value the record less?

I don't know about nets, Im not particularly for it, but I dont think it would ruin the game. It is a legitimate fact that goalies, regardless of their equipment, are much larger than goalies used to be. Certainly defensemen are. Perhaps (playing devil's advocate) they should enlarge the nets in relation to the increased average size of a goaltender over the last 30 years.

It's interesting, the only parallel I can think of is basketball. The average height of a basketballer increased dramatically between like 1945 and 1975. Now they didnt change the height of the nets because the increased height invited more aerial movements - more dunks and blocks. Now the increase in goalie size has resulted in generally negative implications for the game, maybe we go the other way.

This all being said, I would vote against larger nets until other avenues of offensive advantage were tried.

Bad idea.

Why is it the NHL are the only sport who looks to make things bigger when scoring does down? Does MLB make bats bigger? does the NFL make the field shorter? Does football make the nets bigger? Does NBA make the hoop bigger? NO. So why does the NHL?

The problem is simple. Goaltending equipment is far too big, and their are too many teams playing too many games.

Why is it the NHL are the only sport who looks to make things bigger when scoring does down?
Valid question.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: low scoring is not the problem, it's the symptom.

this idea is stupid, and like theo said...its crap...i hate the idea...go back to smaller equipment like in the 80s...goalies spend their lives learning to cut off the angles and everything...now they would have to learn all over again...its stupid...crap...dont do it...

Originally posted by Tony

I don't like the idea of bigger nets, and those designs are terrible too. That Buffallo net looks like crap.

Kris King made a good point on Off The Record last night, he said if there's bigger nets, is it going to be the same if Sidney Crosby breaks Wayne Gretzky's record or isn't going to be valued because of the bigger nets?

(Note: He used those 2 players in his argument)

I don't think you can compare Gretzky's records to today's records any more than you could compare them to Crosby if he had bigger nets to shoot at.

Look at the goalies #99 had to face, then look at the goalies today's players face... 2 completely different animals.

As with anything, you can't compare eras, so don't even try.

That would not be an argument that would stop me from using the bigger nets.

The odd-shape is the first no-no.

I'd say if you really want to increase the size of the nets make the posts thiner, and slant the pipe towards the inside so shots on the post would deflect in most of the time.

Do the same with the crossbar, and just raise it a tad if you have to.

That's about as far as I'd go... and I'm trying to be very opened minded here.

I do agree with the goal of letting the players see as much of the net than during the Gretzky days, before the goalie equipment explosion.

I'm just not thrilled with their solution for achieving that goal.

And beyond that, as many fans will point out... that will do nothing to solve the problem of boring defensive hockey that is truly plagging this game.

During the Bulldogs game, the two second glimpse I turned to Sportsnet they talked about the nets.

Nick Kipreos (sp?) said that goalies today are real athletes and that this isn't the old days where they'd send the fattest guy in nets.

If you ask me I think that's just stereotyping goalies.

Kyrpoes is full of it. He hasn't an intelligent thought in his head.

Low scoring doesn't bother me like it does some. Football is very low scoring, one or two goals a game, and I am on the edge of my seat for 90 mins. I think it's a bigger problem here. The goalie eqiup is the problem. No one can look me in the fact and say it was fair what JS Giguere had on two years ago. Compare him to the Pat Roy of the 80's.

Is it any coincidence that as the equipment has gotten bigger, scoring has gone down? No isn't not, it makes perfect sense.

• 2 years later...

This is probably when I will retire as a hockey goalie. Bigger nets, smaller gear.. and Eric Chouinard a 50-goal-scorer.. The NHL goalie in 2020:

100EOS1D-GM3I3008_GM3I3008.JPG

:popcorn:

...make a goal worth seven points? Instead of a 2-1 result the score would be 14-7. Yanks would be happy, and that's what the NHL is all about, right? :P

I think slightly bigger nets are a good idea, because:

1. Goalies are much bigger athletes on average than they used to be. Look at how many 6'2"+ goalies there are now

2. The goalies aren't going to make any more concessions on equipment size, because at a certain point it becomes a safety issue...especially with the one-piece composite sticks giving pretty much everyone a hard shot now.

Make it two inches taller and four inches wider. Wouldn't make a big difference...it would just allow the most skilled guys to occasionally snipe an impressive shot rather than ringing it off the post because there's no net visible.

I think this is something that would pretty much ruin the league. They would lose tons of the fans who have followed them through hell and high water. I know that even I'd give up on the league if they did this, at hockey is easily my favorite sport.

I think slightly bigger nets are a good idea, because:

1. Goalies are much bigger athletes on average than they used to be. Look at how many 6'2"+ goalies there are now

I think slightly bigger nets are a bad idea, because:

1. Forwards are much bigger athletes on average than they used to be. Look at how many 6'2"+ forwards there are now

:ninja:

;)

You can't change the net size PERIOD.

It would take years for the goalies to catch up, the nets that timbit kids play with are the same as the NHL. So are the ones they use in atom, peewee etc ....you get my point. Now all of a sudden the net is larger, screwing up ALL goalies at all levels and their positioning/angles etc. Until they bring (the bigger) nets in at the grassroots level (and let the next generation grow up using them) it's a mistake to force it on the current crop of goalies. IMO

You can't change the net size PERIOD.

It would take years for the goalies to catch up, the nets that timbit kids play with are the same as the NHL. So are the ones they use in atom, peewee etc ....you get my point. Now all of a sudden the net is larger, screwing up ALL goalies at all levels and their positioning/angles etc. Until they bring (the bigger) nets in at the grassroots level (and let the next generation grow up using them) it's a mistake to force it on the current crop of goalies. IMO

:clap::clap::clap: