World Cup 2010

Fanpuck33

This is a big enough event to have it's own thread.

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B - Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece

Group C - England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group E - Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F - Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G - Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

Group H - Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

My favorites are 1. England 2. Netherlands 3. Spain

Netherlands and Spain shouldn't have any difficulty to advance, but I could see England struggle in their group...

Thrilled with the draw for the USA. I'd have to say England was my first choice to face, outside of South Africa, of course. Algeria and Slovenia both ranked around 30th in the world, so a much better draw than in 2006.

The group of death is obviously G. Brazil, Portugal, and the Ivory Coast all together. Good news for world soccer fans is France being put in Group A, giving it a real number 1 seed. Tough break for the host country, though.

Thrilled with the draw for the USA. I'd have to say England was my first choice to face, outside of South Africa, of course. Algeria and Slovenia both ranked around 30th in the world, so a much better draw than in 2006.

The group of death is obviously G. Brazil, Portugal, and the Ivory Coast all together. Good news for world soccer fans is France being put in Group A, giving it a real number 1 seed. Tough break for the host country, though.

Yeah, like thats just a coincidence.

Don't underestimate Algeria

Most Americans think they will kick our asses, but I've seen the comments from European coaches and former players, and they have picked England and Algeria to come out of group C

And I think that those guys are more knowledgeable about soccer than those ESPN arrogant dumbasses

Of course, each game has to be played; history has proven that anything can happen

Maybe USA and Slovenia will win the group ^_^

Edited by rafikz

Don't underestimate Algeria

Most Americans think they will kick our asses, but I've seen the comments from European coaches and former players, and they have picked England and Algeria to come out of group C

And I think that those guys are more knowledgeable about soccer than those ESPN arrogant dumbasses

Of course, each game has to be played; history has proven that anything can happen

I'm not underestimating anyone, I'm just thrilled we avoided getting put in a group with multiple power house teams. Last World Cup, the US was in a group with Italy and the Czech Republic, who I believe was ranked in the top 5 in the world at the time. Given the possibility of being in a group with one of the top seeds, Ivory Coast, and Portugal or France, I was gonna be thrilled with absolutely anyone else.

I'm not underestimating anyone, I'm just thrilled we avoided getting put in a group with multiple power house teams. Last World Cup, the US was in a group with Italy and the Czech Republic, who I believe was ranked in the top 5 in the world at the time. Given the possibility of being in a group with one of the top seeds, Ivory Coast, and Portugal or France, I was gonna be thrilled with absolutely anyone else.

I misunderstood, sorry

Well that actually could happen very well, Slovenia is a very good team. You gotta be very good to beat Russia, and absolutely good to beat Mastermind Hiddink in a playoff game.

Still think Algeria is the worst team in that poule, not that they cant play soccer. Most of them are great with the ball. But african nations always have problems keeping to a system. Technic good, tactic bad.

If you pick every USA player apart they arent world class, but as a team, and they always know when to peek. England is going to have a big problem there. I think it will be England and Slovenia..

If you pick every USA player apart they arent world class, but as a team, and they always know when to peek.

Yeah, their performance in the Confederations Cup proved they can compete if they're playing their game, their biggest problem is consistency. Right before that tournament, and even in the first two games of the group stage in it, the US was playing terrible soccer. Then all of a sudden they turn it on and run over Egypt, upset Spain, and gave Brazil all it wanted. You just never know what you're gonna get with this team. My biggest concern heading into the tournament is injuries.

Charlie Davies was in that horrendous car accident in October, which left him with two broken bones in his right leg (one of which was the femur), a broken elbow, and a lacerated bladder. With his emergence, the US finally appeared to have a pair of legitimately dangerous strikers, along with Jozy Altidore. I find it very unlikely that he'll be back in time. He leaves a big hole in the lineup. None of the country's other strikers have shown enough to warrant playing alongside Jozy. That means either Dempsey or Donovan will have to move up front, thus creating a new hole on the side of midfield. The US has depth at central midfield, not as much outside.

The other injury is Oguchi Onyewu, the anchor of the defense. He tore up his knee in the last bit of qualifying. As we all know, knee injuries like that can take on a life of their own. He'll likely be fully recovered in time for the World Cup, but will be be able to get in form beforehand? He is very much the key to our defense, in my opinion. We really need him back so that Jonathan Spector can move back outside. That would leave the US with just one hole on the back line, instead of two.

Well that actually could happen very well, Slovenia is a very good team. You gotta be very good to beat Russia, and absolutely good to beat Mastermind Hiddink in a playoff game.

Still think Algeria is the worst team in that poule, not that they cant play soccer. Most of them are great with the ball. But african nations always have problems keeping to a system. Technic good, tactic bad.

If you pick every USA player apart they arent world class, but as a team, and they always know when to peek. England is going to have a big problem there. I think it will be England and Slovenia..

Well, for Algeria, we played vs Brazil and Argentina last year (before they had Maradona as a coach, so when they were better) we lost those games 2-1 and 4-3.

Heck we shoudn't have lost to Brazil, f...... ref

Edited by rafikz

Nice..well i have to confess. I dont have Wooden Shoes. Well living in an apartment building i dont think the person living downstairs would appreciate it, haha!

Haha. Yeah, they were a gift from my grandma when I was born. She thought it was very important that I was raised knowing about my Dutch heritage. Which is awesome because I get two Christmases. :P

Haha...me and you Dutch...we'll bring home the world cup!

Hey, I've got roots on Team Holland too.