Habs put Halak on the market

rafikz

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/no...s-1872671.html

Il dit avoir reçu quelques questions à son endroit : « On commence à poser beaucoup de questions sur Halak dans la LNH. Un dépisteur professionnel est venu me voir et il ne m'a pas parlé de Carey Price ou de quelque joueur que ce soit... il m'a demandé comment était Jaroslav Halak comme personne, comment il se débrouillait à l'entraînement. »

Demers y va de son rapport de dépisteur : « C'est un gars solide. Ses coéquipiers l'aiment. Il ne joue pas souvent, mais il prend son mal en patience et ne chiale pas. »

L'attention n'est pas encore généralisée, cependant : « Je ne dis pas que ce sont 29 clubs qui le surveillent. Ce sont trois ou quatre équipes qui surveillent Halak attentivement. »

Edited by rafikz

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halak deserves to be a starter and that's not going to happen in Mtl, so makes sense that he may go. hope we get a good return 'cos he's a good goalie!

from our standpoint, yes.... from other teams........Not really.

Wait until you hear which teams are interested. :huh:

Probably teams like Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, St Louis, maybe LA and Tampa. There aren't that many teams without good goaltending.

from our standpoint, yes.... from other teams........Not really.

Wait until you hear which teams are interested. :huh:

I agree

And if we are going to trade Halak, we should get something in return.

We've made enough gifts: Roy for nothing, Ribeiro for nothing....

Edited by rafikz

Probably teams like Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, St Louis, maybe LA and Tampa. There aren't that many teams without good goaltending.

LA has good young goaltending. Quick has shown just as much, if not more than Halak has.

I'd throw Edmonton in the mix of potential suitors. Maybe even Florida. Jaro and Vokoun could form a support group for goalies who get beat on the head by their teammates.

It's worth remembering that Martin explicitly singled out the period where Price was benched for four games as the turning point that got him back on track. Price *may* be one of these goalies who needs a strong backup to push him. If so, then trading Halak could really hurt us.

Nonetheless, we're not going to be able to keep him long-term, so eventually he will have to be moved.

Unless he's part of a package, we're not going to get all that much back. And we don't need more bottom-six forwards or bottom-pairing defencemen. I'd imagine a pick (2nd round?) or mid-range prospect is the best we can expect.

Halak will not want to stay in Montreal given his treatment. When he loses he is out, regardless of his play, while Price is the default unless he plays brutally, and even then, they are always looking to get Price back in the net. I am sure his agent is telling him that Montreal is a lost cause due to Price's age. If he goes to a team with an older number one, he can at least work his way up with a shot of growing into the number one role. Here, he has no chance. Therefore, he will leave at his first opportunity, imo.

Given that, what we need is an older backup goalie who is not trying to be a number one guy.

Therefore, as much as I hate to see him go, we are better off trying to trade him before he leaves anyway. I would wait until teams are a bit more desperate for a goalie then they are right now. His numbers put him in the top 30 goalies in the league, so we have a shot at a decent return for him.

You won't find a goalie, young or old, happy to be the backup and not trying to work his butt off to be the starter. The only guys recently I can think of that possibly fit that description are guys like Jamie Maclennan, but generally they are just happy to be in the big leagues because it's better than the AHL. In other words, they find other ways to stay in the bigs, because their talent alone ain't enough. So they become good team players that guys genuinely like and respect in the room.

The only problem with having both Carey and Jaro is that in time, it could lead to a split in the room. Some guys might like Carey better, while others prefer Jaro. That's the main danger of having a competition for an extended period of time. Also, obviously, contract negotiations become an issue as well, but that's the same for every position... it's just that you only have 2 goalies vs. 12 forwards and 6 d-men.

If we trade Halak. I want a Top six player (Kopitar, would be nice.. I can dream can't I..) with a decent contract and a pick for next year. Minimum!

He is a starting goalie on any other team.

GO HABS GO!

If we trade Halak. I want a Top six player (Kopitar, would be nice.. I can dream can't I..) with a decent contract and a pick for next year. Minimum!

He is a starting goalie on any other team.

GO HABS GO!

I don't want to sound too negative, but I don't think we would get a lot for Halak. As good as we think he is, he still is a backup goalie. He hasn't proven that he can play a lot of games. If you consider that he is among the smallest at his position in the NHL, I guess that the teams interested won't want to pay a lot for him.

LA has good young goaltending. Quick has shown just as much, if not more than Halak has.

I'd throw Edmonton in the mix of potential suitors. Maybe even Florida. Jaro and Vokoun could form a support group for goalies who get beat on the head by their teammates.

Florida is unlikely, they have Jacob Markstrom in the wings. Vokoun is the bridge until his arrival.

Edmonton makes a ton of sense, Khabibulin is a stop gap and I don't think Drouin-Deslauriers is the answer.

I don't want to sound too negative, but I don't think we would get a lot for Halak. As good as we think he is, he still is a backup goalie. He hasn't proven that he can play a lot of games. If you consider that he is among the smallest at his position in the NHL, I guess that the teams interested won't want to pay a lot for him.

That's a good point

We all know that Halak had the talent and the right attitude.

However, any GM can go back to Gainey and arhue that Halak hasn't won tons of games (because he hasn't started a lot)

I started the year following Edmonton, Vancouver and St.Louis as possible trading partners, have since dropped Vancouver and added Phoenix since they have back to earth. Basically, I just follow ice time for certain players and are they hot or cold along with movement on their depth charts as possible trades.

Saskhab has listed Edmonton as a possibility and I totally agree, a western conference team that is having problems is perfect to help upgrade our player roster. We have two players they could be interested in , SK and Halak. If we packaged Belle ( lives in Edmonton ) and Weber in the deal.

Edmonton would be taking in $2,592 mil. In return we would get back Marc Pouliot ( on IR ) a first round and 22 overall, Ryan Stone 2/32 pick and Jeff Druin-Deslauriers 2/31 pick as a backup for Price. Montreal coming in $2.050 mil.

Why would Edmonton be interested?. Nikolai Khabibulin age 35 is IR day-to-day has a $3.750 cap for the next four years. Deslauriers has been filling in for him, when he is good, he is very good( 4-0 in the last 4) the same holds true when he is bad, very bad. Last Vancouver game he was pulled in the first after 4 goals. Edmonton knows he will not be a #1 should they try to unload Khabibulin in the next couple of years where Halak could take over as #1. Edmonton is on record to be looking for a fill-in D-man and Belle would fill that need.

One of the problems with all this is BG doesn’t like to do multi player trades but it looks good from my research.

Another player Edmonton might just be interested in: Georges Laraque. They dumped their goon earlier (MacIntyre) and BGL still has a home in Edmonton. We could ask about Jacques coming back if need be.

They have Stortini who had the gordie how hat trick last night. The don't need a tough guy, they have a few.

The habs need more tough guys. Laraque has been ok when healthy.

Rumor had it the Oilers were interested in the kosty bro's for Cogliano and Stone or something. That was off an Eklund site or something i read a week back or so.

Halak is a valuable asset, so if the return is good, it might be worth considering a trade. I'm still not sure if Price is a 70 game guy yet so it's always nice to have a really good backup. However, Desjardins has been phenomenal in the AHL, 1.57 GA and 0.940 SV%.

If Halak is traded, as I believe he should be, I thought the ideal veteran back-up would be Marc Denis. Wow, what happened to him, he retired, and he's only 32 years old? Did he not perform well in Hamilton?

They have Stortini who had the gordie how hat trick last night. The don't need a tough guy, they have a few.

The habs need more tough guys. Laraque has been ok when healthy.

Rumor had it the Oilers were interested in the kosty bro's for Cogliano and Stone or something. That was off an Eklund site or something i read a week back or so.

Hell no....

I think it's safe to say that halak has done very well with the Habs since he started in 2006.

Here are his career stats!

67GP 36W 25L 2OTL 2.80GAA .913SV%

These are very respectable numbers. Considering that Halak has had to wait on the bench for long stretches of time between some of his starts, I'd say that if he could play on a regular basis (ie: 55 games per year) he could do even better!

Do I think we'll get a 1st line player for him? No, but I don't think it would be out of the question to expect a 2nd line player or maybe a 2nd round draft pick!

Edited by Habsfan

I think it's safe to say that halak has done very well with the Habs since he started in 2006.

Here are his career stats!

67GP 36W 25L 2OTL 2.80GAA .913SV%

These are very respectable numbers. Considering that Halak has had to wait on the bench for long stretches of time between some of his starts, I'd say that if he could play on a regular basis (ie: 55 games per year) he could do even better!

Do I think we'll get a 1st line player for him? No, but I don't think it would be out of the question to expect a 2nd line player or maybe a 2nd round draft pick!

I’m not as certain as you with a second round player straight up for Halak. Keep in mind he will be a RFA at seasons end. if other GM’s believe he is that good, they could drive Gainey crazy and the Contract salary with a offer sheet. It truly has to be a win-win trade completed before February to get the best value. I see Halak more in a package deal to free up some more contracts and keep the financials in order.

Keep in mind, Montreal has 7 games in February and stop play Feb 13th. and only resume play on March 2nd. one day after the trade deadline.

Detroit is a big one. They haven't been overwhelmed by any of their tenders this season.

Also, I think the fact he's an RFA at season's end is good thing, at least better than him being a UFA. If people don't want to pony up to get him, we hold his rights and cna match any offer he receives (or get compensatory picks.)

Either way, Gainey can sit and wait on this. Hopefully it doesn't get public, but he can wait for the right deal to come along. It looks like a top 6 forward is the cost.