Trading PRICE vs Trading HALAK

HabsWEST

All of this Team Halak and Team Price talk has me drawing parallels to the equally earth-shaking Team Jacob/Team Edward debate.

This line from Wamsley's article, "Unfortunately, Halak has placed a gun to Gainey's head in regards to a decision. He can no longer wait to see who is better. He has to base his decision on their whole body of work and choose," has reminded me of a crucial line from New Moon.

Bella Swan: Jake, I love you. So please, don't make me choose. Cause it'll be him. It's always been him.

Jacob Black: [whispers] Bella?

Edward Cullen: [walks over to Bella] G'bye Jacob.

Cast:

Bob Gainey as Bella Swan

Carey Price as Edward Cullen

&

guest starring

Jaroslav Halak as Jacob Black

(hmm.. Bobba, Carren and Jarob?)

I wish I had some photoshop skills.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people here do you think have seen it? :P I mean... New Moon! 'Nuff said!

I can't be held accountable if the rest of y'all are out of touch with pop culture - even if it's 13 year old girl pop culture.

I'm starting to suspect that BTH is a 13-year old girl. :P

Hey, what good is watching movies if you can't use them to make allusions to real-life situations? For instance, when one of our forwards gets shutdown by a goalie's pad, the correct fan response should be something like: "Aw, all he had to was Wimgardium Leviosa it top corner!" and if the goalie lets in the goal, his fans say: "Quick - somebody get a hold of the flux capacitor!"

I can't be held accountable if the rest of y'all are out of touch with pop culture - even if it's 13 year old girl pop culture.

Hey, what good is watching movies if you can't use them to make allusions to real-life situations? For instance, when one of our forwards gets shutdown by a goalie's pad, the correct fan response should be something like: "Aw, all he had to was Wimgardium Leviosa it top corner!" and if the goalie lets in the goal, his fans say: "Quick - somebody get a hold of the flux capacitor!"

lol

Marty, we've got to go back!

He has to base his decision on their whole body of work and choose," has reminded me of a crucial line from New Moon.

There are no crucial lines in New Moon. It's a superfluous book/screenplay that panders to teenage girls. TEENAGE GIRLS, Bitton!

There are no crucial lines in New Moon. It's a superfluous book/screenplay that panders to teenage girls. TEENAGE GIRLS, Bitton!

Don't forget the moms of the teenage girls!

twilight-moms.jpg

And with that, I have totally derailed this thread!

Edited by Fanpuck33

Jaw-dropping work by Wamsley. The 'Strength of Opponents' chart makes a really compelling argument for Price. All I can say is, I hope Gainey is reading this, or getting scouting reports of comparable depth. :clap:

Jaw-dropping work by Wamsley. The 'Strength of Opponents' chart makes a really compelling argument for Price. All I can say is, I hope Gainey is reading this, or getting scouting reports of comparable depth. :clap:

The reality is that Gainey probably doesn't need charts like those. He sees what's going on and makes his own idea.

The reality is that Gainey probably doesn't need charts like those. He sees what's going on and makes his own idea.

It's an interesting question. Some GMs, like Mike Gillis in Vancouver, seem to pride themselves on being open to all sorts of statistical matrices and data for player evaluation. But I suspect you're right - that Gainey is old school and trusts his own careful judgement and those of his advisors. And truth to tell, with some rather disturbing exceptions (Streit in particular) his judgement has been pretty decent. Ideally, though, a decision-maker would be open to both approaches; especially on a destiny-shaping decision like this, you should want as much information as you can get. (In other words, he may not 'need' these charts, but he might be smart to 'want' them as a supplement to his own thought-process).

I wish some reporter would do a story on the day of a typical NHL GM. How *do* they spend their time? I imagine it's a constant go-around, but it's easy to kid ourselves that the GM just eats popcorn and watches hockey and gets real busy around July 1. ^_^

Mike Gillis is an ex-agent. You'd expect him to be used to crunching stats when evaluating players (as he needed to twist them to his advantage when negotiating).

Gainey is an ex-jock. He probably stopped following math once the abacus hit stores.