Hockey Card Collectors

The Iron Lung

I was just wondering how many hockey card collectors we have.

I've been collecting for almost 30 years and I'm still active in the hobby.

Just curious if we have any other habs fans with sweet collections.

I believe I have over 10,000 cards of just Montreal Canadiens... not to mention other teams, players, years, sets, etc.

It'd be great to hear some stories and see pics of some collections.

I've been collecting pretty heavily over the past 5 years or so. The focus of my collection is Saku Koivu; I've got a lot of his rarer cards and some pretty sweet ones. I usually complete base sets, and I've got a lot of nice rookie cards as a result. I also made a point of collecting all of Pacioretty's rookie cards and Latendresse's as well (no easy feat).

I have a Roy rookie and an Yzerman rookie. When I was young I had four Gretzky's. I despised him back then because he kept scoring on Montreal. I remember quite vividly ripping his cards in half. $4K down the tubes. lol

I have a Roy rookie and an Yzerman rookie. When I was young I had four Gretzky's. I despised him back then because he kept scoring on Montreal. I remember quite vividly ripping his cards in half. $4K down the tubes. lol

Yikes.

I had a Roy rookie when I was about 6, and I used to "play" hockey with it. I'm almost glad I lost it sometime before I realized how valuable it would be. :blink:

Yikes.

I had a Roy rookie when I was about 6, and I used to "play" hockey with it. I'm almost glad I lost it sometime before I realized how valuable it would be. :blink:

:lol: I was "playing" with my cards as well when I was a kid. It was Pro Set 1rst and 2nd series if I remember correctly.

I still have a 2007-2008 Fleer Ultra Ray Whitney card just beside me as I post. It is almost mint. We can have a deal if someone has paypal :B) .

I used to collect cards quite a bit as a kid. I've got six binders full of cards and a bunch duplicates. I really should pick up a Beckett someday and go through all my stuff to see if I have anything of value. If I have anything of value, I'd love to know, haha. Looking through, I've got:

- 1990 Bowman, looks like a complete set

- 1990 Topps, looks like a complete set

- 1990 Score, assorted

- 1990-91 Pro Set, near complete set

- 1991 Score, most purple and a few red (don't know the significance)

- 1991 Premier Classic Edition, complete set

- 1991 O-Pee-Chee, most of a set

- 1991-92 Pro Set, near complete set

- 1992 Score, most of a set

- 1991-92 Pinnacle, Pro-Set Platinum, assorted

- 1992-93 Fleer Ultra, assorted

- 1993-94 Upper Deck, partial set

- 1993-94 Topps Stadium Club, most of a set

- 1993-94 Powerplay, Pinnacle, Donruss assorted

- 1994-95 Donruss and Fleer Ultra, assorted

- It's not easy to get to, but I have some box set of draft picks on ice with tuxedos

As far as I know, the best card I have had was a Jeremy Roenick First Day Topps Stadium Club. One week it was listed at 50 bucks in Beckett. By the next issue, it was already down to four bucks. My favorite cards are a 1994 Topss Stadium Club Finest Patrick Roy, a 1996 Upper Deck with a silver Stanley Cup with a Gretzky hologram, and my Pro Set Gretzky with his more than likely fake autograph.

And still sitting here on my desk are the two 2006-07 Upper Deck SP Game Used Edition cards they were handing out to people at the draft, Forsberg and Saku Koivu. They had handed me a Turco card, but the kid behind me was more than happy to trade her Koivu for my Turco.

Oh, I almost forgot. I also have an early 1990's Topps set that is still on the roll, never been cut. That is probably actually worth something, but I have no idea how to find out.

I stopped collecting cards 10 years ago when it was getting ridiculous. I bought a beckett this summer to check up the value of my cards. Value has not changed much. Hockey cards from the '90s are so common (especially early 90s) I doubt they'll ever earn any value. If the old cards are worth a lot it's because nobody cared at the the time and they are much rarer. Now if I happen to get packs, I only keep the rookies and give away the other ones.

BTW, the beckett is now 15$.. Last time I bought one it was 4$ I think. And not all sets are listed in a single issue.

But here you go, I've put the value of complete sets in red:

I used to collect cards quite a bit as a kid. I've got six binders full of cards and a bunch duplicates. I really should pick up a Beckett someday and go through all my stuff to see if I have anything of value. If I have anything of value, I'd love to know, haha. Looking through, I've got:

- 1990 Bowman, looks like a complete set Set not listed

- 1990 Topps, looks like a complete set 30$

- 1990 Score, assorted 15$

- 1990-91 Pro Set, near complete set Set not listed

- 1991 Score, most purple and a few red (don't know the significance) 18$

- 1991 Premier Classic Edition, complete set Set not listed

- 1991 O-Pee-Chee, most of a set 20$

- 1991-92 Pro Set, near complete set Set not listed

- 1992 Score, most of a set 4$

- 1991-92 Pinnacle 25$, Pro-Set Platinum, assorted Set not listed

- 1992-93 Fleer Ultra, assorted Set not listed

- 1993-94 Upper Deck, partial set 30$ for 575 cards set

- 1993-94 Topps Stadium Club, most of a set Set not listed

- 1993-94 Powerplay Set not listed, Pinnacle Set not listed, Donruss assorted Set not listed

- 1994-95 Donruss Set not listed and Fleer Ultra, assorted Set not listed

- It's not easy to get to, but I have some box set of draft picks on ice with tuxedos

As far as I know, the best card I have had was a Jeremy Roenick First Day Topps Stadium Club. One week it was listed at 50 bucks in Beckett. By the next issue, it was already down to four bucks. My favorite cards are a 1994 Topss Stadium Club Finest Patrick Roy, a 1996 Upper Deck with a silver Stanley Cup with a Gretzky hologram, and my Pro Set Gretzky with his more than likely fake autograph.

Set not listed

And still sitting here on my desk are the two 2006-07 Upper Deck SP Game Used Edition cards they were handing out to people at the draft, Forsberg and Saku Koivu. They had handed me a Turco card, but the kid behind me was more than happy to trade her Koivu for my Turco.

2.50 and 1.50

Oh, I almost forgot. I also have an early 1990's Topps set that is still on the roll, never been cut. That is probably actually worth something, but I have no idea how to find out.

Probably a little more than 30 $. Best card is Sakic Rookie card (15$)

BTW, the beckett is now 15$.. Last time I bought one it was 4$ I think. And not all sets are listed in a single issue.

Wow, that's ridiculous! Thanks the info about my sets. I kinda hoped the uncut roll would be worth more. Seems like it'd be pretty darn rare.

I was never a big hockey card collector, but collected baseball cards for years.

sakicq is right, and its a problem that spreads across all the major sports. In the early nineties the number of people collecting cards was massive. The reason cards were so valuable in the past was because not as many people were buying them, and those that were, weren't always keeping them. How many of your parents have told you the story of how they lost them, or they got damaged in a flood, or their mother threw them away.

It's all simply supply and demand. Those of us who collected in the early nineties were sure to take better care of their cards because of the lessons our parents learned with theirs. As a result I too doubt we'll ever see the same kind of value for our cards even 50 years from now.

But here you go, I've put the value of complete sets in red:

Yeh, beckett has gone downhill in the last few years, and is mostly just a cash-grab, be it the mag or online. The magazines barely have any colour pages anymore, and they stagger their card listings so you have to keep buying the guide throughout the year. I used to buy monthly, but now I only get 1 or 2 (usually one with the rookie card Rolodex). It sucks that there isn't a better option than Beckett, but despite its increasing flaws, it's still the best pricing guide out there.

I was never a big hockey card collector, but collected baseball cards for years.

sakicq is right, and its a problem that spreads across all the major sports. In the early nineties the number of people collecting cards was massive. The reason cards were so valuable in the past was because not as many people were buying them, and those that were, weren't always keeping them. How many of your parents have told you the story of how they lost them, or they got damaged in a flood, or their mother threw them away.

It's all simply supply and demand. Those of us who collected in the early nineties were sure to take better care of their cards because of the lessons our parents learned with theirs. As a result I too doubt we'll ever see the same kind of value for our cards even 50 years from now.

Well you guys are all lucky. I had quite the collection and my mom threw them out when I left for college so your values all went up! I didn't have much in great shape or that rare anyways but still.

I have a Roy's RC and Hulls RC (complete sets from Hulls year through to ~93) ...both RC's in top notch condition...

Most of my collecting was from 88-93...I even have a bunch of unopened Score packs from Lindros rookie year...too bad he didn't turn into the player everyone predicted.

I also had that same uncut roll of cards from Topps...but my sister ruined it...

When I started collecting I did some individual buying of cards from previous years. Most were sentimental buys more then anything...by the late 80's card collecting was pretty popular again which led to the emergence of all the new card sets just a couple years after. In '88 you could buy Topps and OPC and, though they were identical in look, OPC was always worth more with the exception of Sakic's rookie year. When Upper Deck entered the picture it turned the card market upside down and now it's just a way too messy...I found it more fun with fewer card companies, but the cards are way more sophisticated today.

I also have a Canadiens sweater (not a jersey) with autographs from Maurice Richard, Henri Richard and Yvon Cournoyer...and a few other memorabilia items of note, some pucks, baseballs, signed pictures, etc. Nothing too spectacular really...

Intersting story: I saw this guy walk into a card store in Montreal, same time as Lafleurs first retirement, with an original set of Parkhurst cards with the Rockets RC in it...the guy in the store just about passed out. This guy tells the story how he had just found them in his parents attic...they were sitting in the this original Parkhurst folder which had slots for cards...the guy said even the folder was worth hundreds. This guy just wanted to know what he could get for them but wasn't sure if he should sell. I remember the timing perfectly because, though I was a kid, my father and I had just tried to buy scalpers tickets to Lafleur's last game in Montreal but walked away because the price was ridiculous (over $400/ticket IIRC...).

Edited by Zowpeb

I was collecting madly from 85 to around 92. Had got old sets from the 70. Almost had the full set from the 80-81 season. Was all OPC until the new sets arrived on the market: Bowman, OPC Premium, Top Set and Upper Deck. Got them all. I have the uncut sheet of the 88-89 OPC set (Sakic's rookie year). I had bought one, cut the cards (yeah, I know) but messed it up. So I bought a 2nd one and didnt touch it. :) Anyways, the emergence of too many sets made the market crashed. I see everything made after 91 as junk.

My prized possession is a Mario Lemieux rookie card from the 85 OPC set. Found it at a friend's out. It's near-mint, just a corner that's slightly rounded. It's in a thick plastic case.

BTW, anyone else was also doing stickers albums back then? That was tons of funs, almost more fun than collecting cards.

• 2 weeks later...

These days, there isn't much of a market for pretty much everything from 1990-91 to about 2000-01. With a rare exception, most cards were way over-produced during that decade.

Pre-1990 and Post-2000 cards are quite popular... it's too bad that a lot of collectors got burned with the boom in 1990.

I still have some old cards from the 70s and early 80s that I used to collect as a kid. But then I discovered JERSEYS and that has been my collecting passion ever since.

I still have some old cards from the 70s and early 80s that I used to collect as a kid. But then I discovered JERSEYS and that has been my collecting passion ever since.

Pictures?