Alouettes news 2003

Habs77

I don't think Matthews would sit Greene just because Stokes is back. Greene must be injured.

Stokes as an RB would be interesting, however i find him a little too small for RB. It could work though as he certainly has the agility and speed as you said.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnipeg has a very small RB and he arguably the best in the league... so it can work as long as he has the tools, not sure he does honestly.

And there was no mention of an injury to Greene during RDS's report... they made it sound more as if they needed a "return man/running back" and not a "return man/receiver" because of the Lapointe injury combined with Graham being released.

So Stokes was in and Greene was out.

I'm thinking that once Lapointe returns, Greene will be back too.

You gotta feel for Greene, he could not have done a better job as return man... he'll be back playing soon enough.

And Anderson has taken Coleman's job at receiver... much deserved for both concerned.

Cavil is now healthy and will return.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Als just keep Rolling. Stokes has been amazing the past few weeks in the return game and had that awesome TD catch against Winnipeg (the first game)

Our D-line seems to be pretty deep, we didn't have Belli or Philion, arguably our two best d-lineman, in the lineup on tuesday and we still had good performances from guys such as Phil Gibson.

You gotta be pleased with the start so far, especially the last few games. We finally play an eastern opponent next, against Hamilton. Should be a walk in the park.

Whitaker, our replacement RB from Winnipeg, also had a great game on tuesday, especially at the end of the 4th quarter when it counts the most.

Originally posted by Quebecois

Whitaker, our replacement RB from Winnipeg, also had a great game on tuesday, especially at the end of the 4th quarter when it counts the most.

I really disagree here.

He fumbled twice, almost never picked up the first down in short yardage situations... we still don't have a running game we can count on.

I'm not impressed.

Stokes was much more effective when he was used at RB a few weeks ago... he's been our best RB so far.

But it doesn't really matter, we now play Eastern teams almost exclusively 'til the end of the year... it's gonna be boring.

Lapointe will be back for the playoffs, that's all that counts.

As for WR Girard... I prefer Stala, sorry but Girard has had more than enough years to crack the lineup... at some pointwe gotta move on.

Well maybe i exaggerated by saying he had a "great game". But he did have 122 total yards, a nice TD late and he really helped preserve the game for us. He averaged a decent 5 yards a carry. You mentioned the fumbles, i guess that i forgot about those after his great final drive. Of course Lapointe is the number 1 man when he comes back, but Whitaker is going to be a serviceable option for us until he does come back. Certainly he is better in the backfield than Stokes or Graham IMO.

Stokes had just 49 yards on 13 carries when he was given backfield responsabilities, i personally think he is better suited as a receiver if he is going to play on offense.

Whitaker has shown me nothing so far.

The only good runs he has is when the O-line creates such a huge hole that he goes untouched for 5-10 yards. My grandmother could do that.

(remember her?... hehe)

Whereas Stokes, playing out of position & in his first game back, kept making people miss and gained yards on his own... which is what I'm looking for in a RB, and Matthews has said he's looking for the same thing.

Withaker was cut by Winnipeg for his fumbles, and he fumbled twice the other day so it seems he hasn't learned how to hold on to the ball since.

With him in the backfield we were completely inept at getting 1st downs on the ground in 2nd & short situations... especially when trying to punch the ball into the end zone.

Sorry, but he hasn't been good on the ground so far... let alone great.

He's been better at receiver, great read on that winning TD vs Winnipeg... knew to release into the open field for an easy TD catch.

With all the RBs out there in the States, I refuse to believe he's the best out there... c'mon Popp, you're better than this.

All I know is Lapointe better be healthy in the playoffs or we're in trouble.

Our inability to run could to back to haunt us:

- if the opposition can run the ball they'll end up with a big edge in time of posession

- if we need to run the clock down late in the game we're screwed there too

- if the weather is bad & passing becomes difficult, we're in trouble

- Calvillo has a knack for disappearing in the playoffs... add no running game and we're asking our defense & special teams to win us tha Cup... again

Saskatchewan scares me the most... great D, good running game, mobile QB who can give us trouble... it's almost the perfect antidote to beat the Als.

Well Lapointe had a hairline fracture in his ankle right? I don't see how he wouldn't be back for the playoffs, unless his ankle completely doesn't heal the right way. Have you heard anything about his status lately?

Well Lapointe had a hairline fracture in his ankle right? I don't see how he wouldn't be back for the playoffs, unless his ankle completely doesn't heal the right way. Have you heard anything about his status lately?

I haven't heard anything lately but he was supposed to miss a couple of game only... he should be back soon.

He can take all the time he wants... no rush.

I was refering to Lapointe being helathy in the playoffs, in that I hope he doesn't get injured again later on in the year.

He has a nasty habit of getting injured often, kinda like Girard... is it a Quebecer gene or something?

Against the Tiger-Cats, Lapointe will split time with Deonce Whitaker in the Montreal backfield. Whitaker has started the last two games, rushing for 141 yards on 30 carries.

Sylvain Girard and Adriano Belli are also in the lineup tonight; Barron Miles, Philippe Girard, and Paul Lambert are not playing in this game.

http://www.alouettes.net/newsroom/topstori...eturnLineup.htm

Well i missed the game but Als rolled to another win, 30-17. I would have liked a bigger blowout against a weak Hamilton team but i'll take it.

Did anyone catch it? TSN.ca said that Lapointe played well but i don't have any idea how many yards he got.

Lapointe played well , he got 51 yards I think ... We didnt use him much though ... It was a good game for him because he avoided injury.

The Als didnt play as well as they could have , they should have beaten a team like Hamilton by a much wider margin. The Als had 4 turnovers and settled for field goals on a couple of promising looking drives...

Oh well , a win is a win.... 7-1 now.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sports/stor...84-0D5316CEC661

I read Lapointe's comments after the game, he said he wasn't happy with his game although I didn't think it did too badly for a first game back.

Bad news for him is that he injured his right hand.

Problem with the game was injuries in general:

- Calvillo: Calvillo was blindsided by veteran rush-end Joe Montford after tailback Deonce Whitaker failed to pick up his block, and landed on his throwing shoulder, fumbling in the process. The ball was recovered by the Ticats' Dave Thomas at the Als' 17.

"I hurt my shoulder and it's still sore, but I was able to go back after letting the doctor look at it," Calvillo said. "It was painful. When I'm on the ground and I don't get up quickly, something's bothering me."

Calvillo said he doesn't believe the injury's serious and he expects to return for the next game. He said it was adrenaline that allowed him to continue.

"I'm sure soreness will set in over the next few days," he admitted. "I'll get treatment. I don't think it's serious."

- Defensive-back Reggie Durden suffered a severely sprained left ankle and is doubtful for the next game.

- Defensive-tackle Oby Arah was taken to hospital, suffering from an irregular heartbeat.

- Running-back Éric Lapointe injured his right hand.

Miles, Belli were already out.

Omar Evans has been suffering with back spasms for a while now.

We can afford it now, but we better start getting healthy as the season winds down or we'll end up being one of those 15-1 teams who get bounced in the playoffs.

We're very good, but we're definitely not unbeatable.

• 3 weeks later...

We sure did... apart an amazing execution in the "trick plays" department... the rest was awful.

Offense went south when the game was in the balance, only got going once the game was out of reach... that means nothing to me.

Dropped balls or bad routs (hello Girard), Calvillo not very precise (2 INT deep in our zone), Whitaker good early but again disappears when it really counts (3rd & 1.. goal line).

On defense the made Joseph look super-human... Ottawa moved the ball with ease all night.

Kellett sucked before running into an official, even if that was the stupidest call ever. Gave up big return just when we couldn't afford to. Stokes was invisible.

The only guy who played well in Cahoon, who took a beating tonight... even Copeland dropped a few and didn't manage to get open. He disappears the second you get physical with him, often hears footsteps and bails on the play.

Good thing for us, we needed a wake up call... & Ottawa-Montreal is developing a nasty rivalry that reminds me a little of Winnipeg a few years back when they were in the East.

Not quite, but that's where it's headed... I like it.

I'm more pissed about that STUPID Expos loss... damnit.

"I'm more pissed about that STUPID Expos loss... damnit. "

Aren't we all? 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the 8th and then Ayala and Biddle blow it.

Biddle definetely has to go as closer, i can't stand it anymore. Ayala is still our best reliever, but i like him where he is at shut down middle relief. Any thoughts on who should be closer? I'm wondering if we should try Eichen there. He's always been pretty solid and he seems to be our only other reliable reliever right now.

Argh! Horrible night for Montreal sports , the Als lose to an expansion team (well Ottawa basically is one...) and the Expos blow a lead in the 9th...

The Als could not get anything going last night , our famous pressure-blitzing defense was no where to be found (maybe because of the double TE set the Renegades went with on a few plays?) , our offense couldnt get anything going , plus our receivers dropped a few catchable balls ... The only good thing about the offense was the play of Witataker (sp?) ... And I guess the play of Cahoon as was mentioned above.

That "physical abuse of an official call" on Kellett was CRAP! He had no where else to run so he had to run over the ref ... Plus he barely touched the guy anyways.

Ugh... Oh yeah and sorry about the expos loss , that was my fault... just ask dahabs ;)

I'm a jinx.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to the Als-Ti cats game today. There were over 2000 Als fan, drowned out the Ti-cats fans most of the day.

Pretty sloppy first half by the Als, they even trailed 17-9 at one point but came back in the second. Calvillo was over 400 yards, but didnt look extremely sharp, had a few terrible throws.

Lapointe and Stokes are injured, no word on how serious.

Went to the Als-Ti cats game today. There were over 2000 Als fan, drowned out the Ti-cats fans most of the day.  

Pretty sloppy first half by the Als, they even trailed 17-9 at one point but came back in the second. Calvillo was over 400 yards, but didnt look extremely sharp, had a few terrible throws.  

Lapointe and Stokes are injured, no word on how serious.

LOL... Its funny , AC always has slow starts and looks sloppy , but yet he always throws for easily over 300 yards and a bunch of TD's...

Imagine what kind of numbers he would get if he started strong and made no mistakes...

lemme guess...

28/36 , 542 yards passing , 4 TD's ....

:D

• 1 month later...

Can't wait for this game. The Als got whipped by the Argos in their last matchup, but this time it counts.

This is the first meaningful game we've had in ages! that's the biggest problem with the CFL, too high percentage of teams making the playoffs.

Als rebounded nicely with a meaningless game against Ottawa that seemed to get their confidence back. I think it was important to go into the playoffs with a W. Hopefully we make our second straight Grey Cup appearence and trounce the Boatmen.

A healthy 100% can be us on any given Sunday... that was a movie wasn't it? hehe

But Allen is banged up, as is Jenkins... plus Mitchell & Jackson didn't even play vs. BC.

So I'm rather confident, although not overly so.

I like the fact we signed ex-Renegade RB Davis this week, because with Lapointe you never know if he'll finish the game.

Darren won't be used apparently, still good to have a backup plan if needed.

Originally posted by Habs77

I like the fact we signed ex-Renegade RB Davis this week, because with Lapointe you never know if he'll finish the game.

Do you have a source from somewhere that said we signed Davis? I checked a few spots, and couldn't find anything that said we signed him. It's a decent signing nonetheless, he gives us a decent option if Lapointe/Whitaker get injured/falter. The one thing I observed when I went to the game vs Toronto last month, is that we have NO running game at all. (Case in point, with Calvillo out and Bolden struggling, we continue to throw the ball. 2nd and less than 1, we pass the ball instead on handing off to Heppell or Lapointe (or even Whitaker) and get picked off.) It seems to be well known that Calvillo has a 10% LESS completion rate in the postseason, so we need to establish a running game vs the Argos. Bringing Davis in can only help...

[Edited on 2003/11/4 by dlbalr]