Alouettes news 2003

Habs77

I dont think we need a whole lot of a run game. Just something that will prevent the defense from cheating too much. Calvillo has struggled in the past, but he did get us to the Grey Cup last year, and was named MVP (although he didnt do a whole lot.)

The Argos are banged up, but i'm not going to take them too lightly considering the game 3 weeks ago.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Als first half.... , dumb Als injure Allen when they knew the backup had burned them 2 weeks ago, offense pulls a no-show, defense gives up a few big plays... both sides of the ball killing themselves with penalties.

Only decent part is special teams so far.

The Als usually do much better in the 2 half after a few halftime adjustement.

Well go ahead people, adjust away.

ALS GOING TO THE GREY CUP AGAIN BABY!

Woooo

30-26 win over the Argos , Als didnt play well at all , but came through , huge play by AC in the 4th when he ran it in for a 35 yard TD... (maybe a fumble , but whatever :P )

GO ALS! Onto Regina for the Grey cup.

All that counts is that we're going the the Grey Cup games, and no major injuries that I know of.

There are different ways of looking at the matchup with Edmonton:

- they had an easy game today, did not face adversity... while the Als got good tough opposition and proved to themselves they can come back

- Edmonton are used to playing outside and won outside today, while Montreal was under the roof.. advantage EDM

- EDM has a more established running game, important if conditions are bad on game day

- Matthews is a million times the coach Higgins is, MAJOR advantage for Als

In the end this is the matchup I was hoping for, so many ex-Als like Pringle, Charbonneau, October plus the rematch of last year's final.. so there's a definite rivalry there.

The only bad side is that the home crowd won't be a psyched because theirteams isn't there...

Should be fun, but if a rookie QB could manhandle our secondary... I'm afraid of what a hot Ricky Ray will be able to do to them.

We'll need the line to get some good pressure on the QB.

Can't wait 'til next week!

Grey cup!!!

24-21 Esks at halftime ... Esks dominated the Als in the first quarter , exposing our rookie DB's ... But when the 2nd QRT started the als came alive and took back the momentum , with TD passes to Cahoon (from Whitaker on trick play) , Woodcock and Girard... Esks got points off STUPID careless fumbles by K.Stokes on punt returns...

DAMN STOKES! He better redeem himself (if Don leaves him in) ...

Go Als Go!!!

I don't mind losing against a good team like Edmonton if they beat us... but the fact is they didn;t even have to earn it:

- We're down 14-0 early, but we force a Pringle fumble and next thing you know it's 14-14 and we have momentum

- Then Stokes fumbles stupidly trying to make something happen... which was unnecessary at that point of the game. Then the refs make a bad interference call on Williams when it was actually October who held... next play is a TD that EDM didn't earn.

- As if that wasn't enough, Stokes fumbles again and gives them a FG to take the lead going into halftime... 10 unearned points so far.

- The 2nd half is all defense, we have EDM at 1st & 20 and force Ray to the sideline so it's 2nd and long... but no, stupid Butler tried to knock his head off on the tackle... 1st down EDM

Then DJ Johnson takes a stupid interference call, then even worse lines up offside on the next play where we had forced a fumble on the goal line.

Another 7 point gift, this one sealed it.... that's 17 points given to EDM for the game.

Not only did we GIVE them 17 points, but the Als offense pulled a no-show in the 2nd half... as they often do in big games.

They win by 12, we gave them 17... you do the math.

Props to the defensive line, Phillion, Stewart, Belli who played a monster game. Cahoon & Copeland did pretty well... for one quarter anyway.

I don't think the 2 rookie DBs had much to do with the defeat... apart from Johnson lining up offside.

This defeat was about Stokes, and the offense doing nothing in the 2nd half when the defense managed to stop EDM for just about the whole half. Oh yeah and Butler's stupid penalty.

First of all, let me just say that the better team DID win, the fact is, we were outplayed for most of the game tonight. Aside from the 2nd quarter 'rally', our offence was anemic, and our D wasn't much better either. Calvillo was unbelievable in the 2nd half, too bad it was for being so BAD! I don't have the official stats to see how many completions he actually had in the 2nd half, but I know he had just 2 first downs, one at the beginning, and one to Cahoon for 69 yards with 1 second left. Whitaker had a first down run in between, that was all the offence we managed to put up in the second half. I know that getting a TD with 1 sec left would've been useless, but I think we should've went for it anyways, to make the game look more respectable, and also to try to erase the thought that the team is a bunch of quitters, which some of them were tonight.

I don't really like the fact that we benched 2 vets on D for 2 rookies in a game like this one. The last time those 2 played, the Als lost big time (45-13) in T.O. and were BRUTAL then (I saw the game first-hand, I should know :) ). Sometimes you win on gambles, others you lose. They weren't the only reason we lost tonight, but they certainly didn't help the cause either, getting burned by Tucker on several occasions for TD's, plus the offside as mentionned before, nullifying a fumble recovery that would have eliminated the TD for the Esks in the second half.

In the format of Habs77's Hab game reviews, here is the Als' hero(es) and zero(es) for tonight's gamr:

Heroes:

The defensive line, 5 sacks on Ray tonight, as well as forcing him to hurry on other occasions.

Also, props to Cahoon, a nice 'circus' catch to lead to a Whitaker throwing TD, as well as a TD himself. He also led the team in receiving yards, and didn't give up on that last play in the 4th, turning it into a 'useless' 69 yard gain.

Zeroes:

First off, Calvillo-had 1 good quarter, the 2nd. He was invisible everywhere else. If it weren't for that 69 yard catch, he wouldn't have had 100 yards passing minus the 2nd of course. When you have no running game to speak of, you ned the QB to step up, didn't happen tonight.

Secondly, Stokes. Aside from one nice missed FG return, he was a hindrance rather than a help. Cost us 10 points in the 2nd alone, which likely would have made the difference in the game. He didn't have any major returns, which also would have swung the momentum our way.

Finally, the defence as a whole, minus the d-line. Stupid penalties cost us the whole game, and the mistakes by the rookie CB's cost us 2 TD's due to lack of coverage.

In the end, we had a good run this season, considering we lost Pringle and Phillips, giving us virtually no running game at all, which led to the emergence of Copeland as a major receiver. Most of the guys should be back for next season (except for Woodcock, expect him to join OTT), which means at this time in 2004, we could be celebrating a Grey Cup victory!

• 6 months later...